2020 4* OT Javion Cohen Has AU Offer Pulled! 12/11

Zeek

23 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Gus & JB needs to hang on this young man as well as our other commitments. Seems like every year when get top players, that other school get them to flip on signing day or a few days before. If they keep this up, Gus and staff should try to flip some of their commitments.

That's a good idea

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

Exactly.  He used to be a South Carolina commit.  We were thrilled to flip him then...   

I understand that, and I don't think he should've been a South Carolina commit. He wasn't fully sold on committing to play ball there. I get that these are kids and they're making tough decisions, but I just haven't liked the fact, for years now, that the commitment to a school means almost nothing for a lot of guys. Why make such a big deal about committing when you are still deciding?

8 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I understand that, and I don't think he should've been a South Carolina commit. He wasn't fully sold on committing to play ball there. I get that these are kids and they're making tough decisions, but I just haven't liked the fact, for years now, that the commitment to a school means almost nothing for a lot of guys. Why make such a big deal about committing when you are still deciding?

Who made a big deal first, the recruits or the coaches (and fans) desperate for them to sign? IMO, the recruits are just giving "us" what "we" asked for. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Who made a big deal first, the recruits or the coaches (and fans) desperate for them to sign? IMO, the recruits are just giving "us" what "we" asked for. 

Would you say coaches are pushing recruits to give them a "commitment" while still allowing them to visit elsewhere? It seems like most coaches would want these guys to commit and shut down their recruitment with other schools. I just don't get the point of a commitment I guess. Genuine question that I don't know the answer to. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Would you say coaches are pushing recruits to give them a "commitment" while still allowing them to visit elsewhere? It seems like most coaches would want these guys to commit and shut down their recruitment with other schools. I just don't get the point of a commitment I guess. Genuine question that I don't know the answer to. 

I hear you. I just think that everything typically remains fluid on both sides. I think the commitments of some kids are used as leverage to attract interest from other recruits. I think that some kids are just so talented that the coaches have to tolerate some ambiguity in the commitment. Other kids, not so much. Then there's the matter of coaches not being committed to their employers, or employers not being committed to their coaches, or coaches encouraging a commit to look elsewhere when a better recruit seems interested, or parents/uncles/guardians/"uncles" being committed to the bagman with the biggest bag... Honestly, it strikes me as a pretty ugly business all the way around. But I do feel like our staff has about as much integrity as any in the business (at least the business of *big time* CFB) and for that I'm very grateful. 

Anyway. I do think that the current definition of "commitment" in the recruiting world is something these kids learned from the adults in the room. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I hear you. I just think that everything typically remains fluid on both sides. I think the commitments of some kids are used as leverage to attract interest from other recruits. I think that some kids are just so talented that the coaches have to tolerate some ambiguity in the commitment. Other kids, not so much. Then there's the matter of coaches not being committed to their employers, or employers not being committed to their coaches, or coaches encouraging a commit to look elsewhere when a better recruit seems interested, or parents/uncles/guardians/"uncles" being committed to the bagman with the biggest bag... Honestly, it strikes me as a pretty ugly business all the way around. But I do feel like our staff has about as much integrity as any in the business (at least the business of *big time* CFB) and for that I'm very grateful. 

Anyway. I do think that the current definition of "commitment" in the recruiting world is something these kids learned from the adults in the room. 

Yep, I can get behind that logic, thanks loof

• Like 1

@tigerbrotha12 Try this for your own peace of mind, it works well. When dealing with the recruiting world, use an alternate dictionary in which the word committed actually means today's favorite. Because in recruiting, that's all it means.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Kind of a chicken and the egg type of deal I would guess. I always ask myself the same thing. What's the point of a commitment when they often flip.

I have only truly follow recruiting for the past 4-5 years. How was it back in the day before the internet boom? 

I would imagine it would be chaos without commitments, though. You'd be going into signing day without knowing who, what, or how many of any position you may land. IT would be nuts for the coaching staff and the kids....You may think you are going to Auburn with potential to play early due to current roster and then 7 kids at your same position sign lol. Can you imagine??? 

It would be pretty entertaining on signing day though if we had no clue who we were going to end up with...just all total surprises. 

Tell what you all think of this. If someone how you could make it where the top 100 or so players could not make public commitments. They could give the coach a silent commitment, but if we as fans had no clue.....and on NSD the top 100 did their table picks....leave out all the extra mess....just 3 hats and a grab....That would be a fun day! Just thinking out loud. 

I think this class ....depending on how the OL commits turn out...paired with last years class....is going to win us a title. I got that feeling folks. You saw it here first (maybe not here first but it's my story I am sticking to it!).

• Like 1

On 12/5/2019 at 9:50 AM, McLoofus said:

All due respect, it's been a sign of the times for years now. And keep in mind that it's a two way street. Almost all commitments are conditional in this business. 

thats what I never get when people get pissed over what the player does...I guarantee the colleges do much worse in aggregate

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Kind of a chicken and the egg type of deal I would guess. I always ask myself the same thing. What's the point of a commitment when they often flip.

I have only truly follow recruiting for the past 4-5 years. How was it back in the day before the internet boom? 

I would imagine it would be chaos without commitments, though. You'd be going into signing day without knowing who, what, or how many of any position you may land. IT would be nuts for the coaching staff and the kids....You may think you are going to Auburn with potential to play early due to current roster and then 7 kids at your same position sign lol. Can you imagine??? 

The first AU recruiting class I followed was the guys who signed in the 1967 class, one year before Pat Sullivan, Terry Beasley & co. The coaches worked off personal relationships. They and the players had a good idea of what was going to happen, but we fans found out in the next day's newspaper. I was on campus then and knew some current players and assistant coaches so I knew how things were looking overall, but nobody in the general public knew much. The odd player here and there would tell a reporter what school he was attending but a commitment, per se, wasn't a thing. The first actual flip I remember is Mobile QB Richard Todd. He'd told the Mobile newspaper he was going to AU. His mom was a nurse in a doctor's office down there. Suddenly, though totally unqualified for the position, she was hired as a department head in UAT's School of Nursing and Todd flipped to Alabama. Not much has changed over the decades.

It would be pretty entertaining on signing day though if we had no clue who we were going to end up with...just all total surprises. 

AU's signees would also be announced on the radio at halftime of the next AU basketball game. :)

Tell what you all think of this. If someone how you could make it where the top 100 or so players could not make public commitments. They could give the coach a silent commitment, but if we as fans had no clue.....and on NSD the top 100 did their table picks....leave out all the extra mess....just 3 hats and a grab....That would be a fun day! Just thinking out loud.

It would be a fun day but the first amendment to the constitution gives prospects the right to say whatever they want. Plus, that would put a bunch of media people out of a job. (That's not necessarily a bad thing)

I think this class ....depending on how the OL commits turn out...paired with last years class....is going to win us a title. I got that feeling folks. You saw it here first (maybe not here first but it's my story I am sticking to it!). Lets hope so!

I heard that Javion was visiting uat this weekend. Has anyone heard how his visit is going? Gus & JB needs to stick to him like clue to keep him from flipping to the dark side.

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Thanks for the story there. Yea I know it would violate 1st amendment and I am a Constitutional Absolutist so I would never be for that. Just playing hypotheticals lol. I love following recruiting so I wouldn't truly wish for any of this.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

I heard that Javion was visiting uat this weekend. Has anyone heard how his visit is going? Gus & JB needs to stick to him like clue to keep him from flipping to the dark side.

He went to Bama. 

34 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

We are so desperate for OTs that we are willing to put up with this even though we all see where this is going. 

And quit recruiting Buck Philip Webb because hes obviously going to LSU and AU has other options to work on. It's unreal the difference between the two units.

21 minutes ago, CR said:

And quit recruiting Buck Philip Webb because hes obviously going to LSU and AU has other options to work on. It's unreal the difference between the two units.

Yeah but the difference is one is “committed” and one is not. I agree the Webb is not going to Auburn. 

Edited by gr82b4au

If he flips I'm guessing Lil Nick will tell him to Yeldon the AU staff. I'll believe he's coming when he puts pen to paper regardless of what he's saying. 

On 12/4/2019 at 9:56 PM, The Plainsman said:

I know.  And I know you know everyone in Prattville wishes they had him..... right?

Maybe. Caleb Ross has Prattville getting better each year & has coached for championships at other schools. He could have Prattville back to being a state contender in a couple years.

On 12/4/2019 at 10:26 PM, ClaytonAU said:

Jamey Dubose just got boat raced in the state championship in Jordan-Hare. 

He's won 3 State Championships & got screwed out of a 4th because there was no replay in 2009 to overturn a Hoover fumble that was a scoop n score for Prattville that was ruled an incomplete forward pass on a ball that went backwards out of the QB's hand. The laws of physics alone makes that a near impossibility. He's a damn good coach despite Wednesday's loss.

On 12/5/2019 at 9:44 AM, tigerbrotha12 said:

Don't like that media continues to call him an Auburn commit.

@tigerbrotha12 It's not the media. He calls himself an AU commit while being 50-50. lol The media can only go with what the kid says.

On 12/6/2019 at 11:17 AM, tigerbrotha12 said:

Why make such a big deal about committing when you are still deciding?

Because as @McLoofus basically alluded to it's a big game of chicken from both the recruits and the schools. Given how both sides go about it I have no problem with a kid saving a spot in a class by committing if he gets to a point he feels a school has a solid lead for him while still looking around.

• Thanks 1

On 12/6/2019 at 11:48 AM, tigerbrotha12 said:

Well understand what I just said above plus realize a lot of these coaches are great salesmen and could make a killing as used car salesmen if that were their career path. Just because a kid commits doesn't mean the used car salesmen stop selling to said recruit & family often times..

On 12/6/2019 at 11:57 AM, McLoofus said:

giphy.gif

• Love 1

11 hours ago, CR said:

I guarantee you we wouldn't have moved on from Webb if the staff didn't like it's other available options.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, amsterjam said:

If he flips I'm guessing Lil Nick will tell him to Yeldon the AU staff. I'll believe he's coming when he puts pen to paper regardless of what he's saying. 

Hard to do now a days with 2 signing periods. AU will want the issue resolved so they can make alternate plans for February if need be.