2020 4* LB Wesley Steiner Commits To Auburn!

toddc

Just saw on AL.com that he has committed to the good guys. I see AU82 beat me to it.  AU82 I love your boom.  War Eagle and welcome aboard.

Edited by AuburnNTexas

Boom! Tigers land 4-star LB Wesley Steiner

By KEITH NIEBUHR 29 minutes ago

FRISCO, TEXAS -- The Auburn Tigers on Tuesday landed a player who arguably is the most athletic recruit in the country when 4-star linebacker Wesley Steiner of Warner Robins (Ga.) Houston County committed to Gus Malzahn’s program over Stanford and LSU.

He not only is the No. 72 overall recruit nationally in the industry generated 247Sports Composite but Monday won the Football Rating Championship at The Opening Finals against many of the sport's top recruits.

“Auburn is about family and the coaches have a connection with God. They believe in Jesus,” Steiner said. “You put those two together and you get a nice happy mix of what you need in your life.”

Steiner is commitment No. 13 for the Tigers.

At linebacker, the Tigers have three 4-stars committed — Steiner, Trenton Simpson and Cameron Riley. Simpson is the No. 52 overall recruit in the country.

Steiner gave Auburn a silent commitment last Thursday — the same day another 4-star linebacker target, Desmond Tisdol, went on the record to say the Tigers led and he was close to making a decision. It’s believed Auburn may only have room for one of those inside backers at this time. Tisdol’s comments pushed Steiner, who had planned to ride things out awhile, to make the move now for fear of losing a spot in the class.

What is Auburn getting in the 5-feet-11.5, 220-pound Steiner? Here is his most recent scouting report:

“Compact, muscled build with a developed lower body and power base. Is one of the top athletes in his size range for the 2020 cycle. Has a rare combination of strength, power and speed as an athlete with outstanding testing marks in the 40-yard dash and vertical leap in addition to being a top thrower in track. Transfers that power and athleticism over the field, where he stars as a running back and linebacker for his high school. Shows very nice range on defense with the ability to play in space covering in the slot. Has outstanding closing speed and is a physical finisher at the point of attack with high-level striking power. Is a a dangerous blitzer off the edge with his ability to time up the snap with his top-end quickness. Uses his speed to track down ball carriers in backside pursuit. Looks to play with a high effort level, making several impressive plays in that regard. Also flashes his athleticism at running back and on offense. Not an overly long prospect and will need to continue honing his instincts for the position, especially as a run defender between the tackles. Has the ability to develop into a multi-year starter at the Power 5 level with the upside of becoming an early round NFL Draft pick.”

For Steiner, it ultimately came down to Auburn and Stanford.

“It’s close to my family and my family can come watch the games,” Steiner said. “And I'll still get my degree and I get to interact with amazing people and that’s what I want to do.”

For Auburn linebackers coach Travis Williams, this was another big get. Worth noting, Tigers coach Gus Malzahn, defensive coordinator Kevin Steele and offensive coordinator Kenny Dillingham, Steiner’s area recruiter, also were heavily involved in this recruitment.

With Steiner and Williams, the bond has been strong.

Monday, Steiner finished the Football Rating Championship at The Opening Finals with a total score of 148.17 to claim the title as the nation's most athletic high school football player. Ohio State receiver commit Julian Fleming was second at 140.04. Georgia cornerback commit Jalen Kimber was third at 140.01

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• Like 2

Boom boom booming 💥 booms just keep coming!!! KABOOM 💥 

This seems like one heck of a pick up. I LOVE LBs that also played RB. I feel it gives them an edge in understanding filling the holes at LOS. 

• Like 1

Where did you find the SPARQ scores?  That really is amazing considering Pappoe had the high score in 2018, I believe.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Stanford is similar to, say, Vandy and other "academic" institutions. While their admission standards for athletes are higher than most, a scholardhip athlete can get in with lower academic credentials than Joe or Jane student in the general population.

Even then, hope we see his brains on display next year 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gravejd said:

This seems like one heck of a pick up. I LOVE LBs that also played RB. I feel it gives them an edge in understanding filling the holes at LOS. 

Same reason I like DBs who played some QB or WR.

I'd love to see him in the Wildcat role down the road. Could see like Jabril Peppers kinda role. Or even a Taysom Hill role 💪🏽

54 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Where did you find the SPARQ scores?  That really is amazing considering Pappoe had the high score in 2018, I believe.

2nd to Nolan Smith who had a 141.??

• Thanks 1

Seriously, we're signing insane athleticism into the LB corp. Over the last three classes, we've added Zacoby McClain, Owen Pappoe, and Wesley Steiner. I love the other guys we've signed, but those three are pure athletes. That's the type of speed and acceleration we haven't had there since Tubby. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Seriously, we're signing insane athleticism into the LB corp. Over the last three classes, we've added Zacoby McClain, Owen Pappoe, and Wesley Steiner. I love the other guys we've signed, but those three are pure athletes. That's the type of speed and acceleration we haven't had there since Tubby. 

^^^^^^^ This. I am really impressed with our LB crootin over the last few years. We have Pappoe who is a freak, and now Steiner...who is a freak...and both are extremely intelligent young men and good people. Take those and add in Trenton Simpson and Cam Riley, with KJ Britt and Wooten this year, with McClain, OC Brothers My GAWD!!!!!!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

^^^^^^^ This. I am really impressed with our LB crootin over the last few years. We have Pappoe who is a freak, and now Steiner...who is a freak...and both are extremely intelligent young men and good people. Take those and add in Trenton Simpson and Cam Riley, with KJ Britt and Wooten this year, with McClain, OC Brothers My GAWD!!!!!!

Don’t forget Kamron Brown!  And even Marsh if he stays at lb! I think all of them can be pretty good.

Edited by toddc

1 minute ago, toddc said:

Don’t forget Kamron Brown! 

I don't know if KB ever sees the field as a LB....I have a feeling he turns HBack....I do like KB though

• Like 1

I love the fact that he felt he needed to act on his commitment before the LBs filled up. Love the sense of urgency. We don't seem to hear that as much as others, at least that I recall. 

• Like 1

Twill straight gettin it done, son! Loading up on stud linebackers. Burns loading up on stud wide receivers. I have confidence Cadillac is gonna close at least one elite back before it's all over. Rg's track record speaks for itself. I think he closes well again, we definitely need some d tackles. We hit on some safety's last year. We desperately need someone to step up and close about 3 more elite o lineman though. That's a must have this year. Not sure about the QB choices we are going after. The one kid who committed is hopefully underrated and the other kid we are looking at, though high rated, looks like a stiff wind may knock him over. Back to twill though. Very very happy with the quality (both athletically and personally) of kids he is pulling in. And you know hes gonna coach em up too. 

Edited by twilli13
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1