Softball transfer portal (Taylon added 6/12/19)

Dean needs to go, I wish we could give him a chance to get his “own” players in and see how he does, but he’s losing his OWN players to the transfer portal. Great coaches don’t lose this many players to the portal.

We need a proven coach who has coached verse good competition just like how we got Myers from Arizona State and the PAC-12, Dean at JMU just picked on the lower tier competition there and only had good bursts from time to time.

I used to love watching softball when Myers coached let’s get it back to that level again.

War Eagle!

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The “transfer portal” is new to college.  It’s now a factor in all sports.  The partial scholly sports are gonna use the transfer portal like crazy.  I say good for the kids who are using it.  None of those kids factored prominently and now they can use the system to find a better fit.  We will have a new class coming in - which is a good one right?

• ellitor changed the title to Softball: Greenwood and Mosley transfer portal (Chardonnay added 6/3/19)

Myers elevated and then bombed this program in a matter of 5 seasons. I’ll never forgive him for what he allowed to happen. 🙈🙉🙊

5 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

None of those kids factored prominently and now they can use the system to find a better fit.  

Harris pitched 106 innings and had an 11-7 won/loss record. I'd say that is prominent. I can understand the others looking for a place where they can see the field. Why Harris would leave I can't fathom.

11 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Harris pitched 106 innings and had an 11-7 won/loss record. I'd say that is prominent. I can understand the others looking for a place where they can see the field. Why Harris would leave I can't fathom.

I knew she pitched a decent amount - I was trying from memory- I honestly didn’t realize she factored in that many gAmes.  Maybe she thinks Martin takes those innings?  Or new signee?  Or maybe ... ?

With Martin out, she lead the team in strikeouts this year. She had some inconsistent moments this year, but when she was locked in she was a valuable asset to our program. Behind Martin, she was my favorite pitcher. 

@4WDE clearly I missed on the amount of time Harris spent on the field ... I’ll take a “doh” for that one ... but was there anything else about my comments that bothered you?  I don’t think the coaches should get thumped just because kids transfer or quit.  It happens for any number of reasons.  Partial scholly, no future career in the sport and young female - I’ve got two.  It also goes both ways for a program and a coach.  

Snow and Carlson both transferred to auburn and I’m sure their schools hated they left.  These kids, should have more control of their situation.  All schools benefit and lose, but ultimately the players win because they  have the opportunity to find a better situation.  Of course if they make a bad decision, they get to own that also.

Man, I really liked Harris.  She had a confident poise about her.  Before last year, Deam had a quick hook for her. Char did wonderful down the stretch for us though.  I was really hoping to see her next year. 

6 hours ago, slot canyon said:

regardless of whether Headley would have been the starter if Martin can't come back, we still are losing our best pitcher this year. Harris' k/bb ratio is very good. Much better than Lexie's. 

Is it possible Harris wants to be closer to home/Illinois? Or she wants an assurance she is the #1 pitcher where she may transfer to? 

I assume she was not recruited by Dean too, right? 

If Martin is back, we are in great shape. A strong staff of Martin, Swindle, Headley, and the Freshman from Holtville.

If Martin can't come back....we will be in trouble if Headley doesn't improve her k/bb ratio. Swindle is not a #1.

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Not at AU at least. She signed nearly a full year before MD was hired at AU.

27 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

regardless of whether Headley would have been the starter if Martin can't come back, we still are losing our best pitcher this year. Harris' k/bb ratio is very good. Much better than Lexie's. 

Is it possible Harris wants to be closer to home/Illinois? Or she wants an assurance she is the #1 pitcher where she may transfer to? 

If Martin is back, we are in great shape. A strong staff of Martin, Swindle, Headley, and the Freshman from Holtville.

If Martin can't come back....we will be in trouble if Headley doesn't improve her k/bb ratio. Swindle is not a #1.

all sounds plausible ...but you never know what you have in pitchers until the season starts.....we looked solid with Martin....and in baseball had three excellent  starters...until we had none. 

Hate to see her go however.....she was certainly important to this season....and leaves with her name in the AU record book for Ks in a game. 

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

all sounds plausible ...but you never know what you have in pitchers until the season starts.....we looked solid with Martin....and in baseball had three excellent  starters...until we had none. 

Hate to see her go however.....she was certainly important to this season....and leaves with her name in the AU record book for Ks in a game. 

I'm beginning to have a like/hate relationship with this transfer portal. lol. It's like the wild wild west in sports now.

While I am glad the players now have a means to get other teams interested in them, if they wish to leave, it seems some players jump to it too quickly and hastily if they are making a rash decision.

With the new transfer rule, I assume she can go anywhere and not sit out a year, unless it is within the SEC...

21 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

With the new transfer rule, I assume she can go anywhere and not sit out a year, unless it is within the SEC... 

Their is no rule like that for softball. Softball players have always been able to play immediately on their 1st transfer no matter where they go as long as they were in good academic standing at their previous school. It's their 2nd transfer when they have to sit a year.

According to the Marshall article, Harris' reason for entering the portal is personal, and not softball-related.  That makes me feel some better, and if Martin really wants to come back, as she evidently does, that is another plus.  A few years ago, the only players who transferred out were the ones who weren't playing and not likely to play; now we're seeing significant contributors take the portal.  It's unsettling for the fans and moreso for the coaches, but I think it's a good thing.  We just need to keep our balance of trade adjusted.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Their is no rule like that for softball. Softball players have always been able to play immediately on their 1st transfer no matter where they go as long as they were in good academic standing at their previous school. It's their 2nd transfer when they have to sit a year.

If transferring within your current conference, then you have to sit a year. The exception is if you have graduated, then you do not have to sit.

15 minutes ago, 4WDE said:

If transferring within your current conference, then you have to sit a year. The exception is if you have graduated, then you do not have to sit.

Again doesn't apply to softball unless you can show me a change in softball transfer rules. Their transfer rules are completely separate from football & basketball.

From the official NCAA transfer guide...

1. THIS IS YOUR FIRST TRANSFERIf you have never transferred from a four-year school and are not planning to compete at a Division I school in the sports of football, baseball, basketball and men’s ice hockey, you may request use of a one-time transfer exception to compete immediately at a Division I or Division II school...To qualify for this exception, you must meet all the following conditions:You are in good academic standing and are making progress toward your degree at your current school.You would have been considered academically eligible to compete had you stayed at your current school.You have a written release agreement from your current school stating it does not object to you receiving a transfer exception.If your current school is not willing to provide you a one-time transfer exception, you may be entitled to a hearing by a committee not involved in athletics at your school, such as the office of student affairs, the office of the dean of students or a committee comprised of the faculty athletics representative, student-athletes and nonathletics faculty or staff members. If you attend a Division I school and your school does not respond to your written request for a one-time transfer exception within seven business days, NCAA rules require your school to grant you a transfer exception.

The one thing I forgot to mention is the release from the original school to transfer but there is nothing in the rules about transferring in conference for softball requiring 1 year to sit.

24 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Again doesn't apply to softball unless you can show me a change in softball transfer rules. Their transfer rules are completely separate from football & basketball.

Believe that was approved by SEC June of 2018.  

Ellitor, good to see your posts back on the softball page.  The one thing that's still a bit murky to me is the release from the original school.  Does the coach have any real power to prohibit an in-conference transfer?  The only one I can think of is Amanda Sanchez from Missouri to LSU.  Hers was a graduate transfer, if that makes any difference.  When the original school (coach) responds to the request for transfer exception, do they know where the SA is planning to transfer to?  Not that this seems to be a big problem.  Of the dozens, maybe hundreds of transfers that have occurred within the past year or two, Sanchez is the only one I can think of who transferred within the conference she was already playing in.

2 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Ellitor, good to see your posts back on the softball page.  The one thing that's still a bit murky to me is the release from the original school.  Does the coach have any real power to prohibit an in-conference transfer?  The only one I can think of is Amanda Sanchez from Missouri to LSU.  Hers was a graduate transfer, if that makes any difference.  When the original school (coach) responds to the request for transfer exception, do they know where the SA is planning to transfer to?  Not that this seems to be a big problem.  Of the dozens, maybe hundreds of transfers that have occurred within the past year or two, Sanchez is the only one I can think of who transferred within the conference she was already playing in.

In conference transfers are probably uniformly blocked by coaches making the player have to sit a year but to my knowledge there is no rule that states in conference transfers have to auto sit a year in softball. It's strictly on the release & could be anywhere from the original coach, in or out of conference.

6 hours ago, slot canyon said:

Believe that was approved by SEC June of 2018.  

Bingo...ask any SEC softball coach.

I stand corrected. I finally found something in writing that supports @slot canyon & @4WDE. My apologies.

New NCAA DI Transfer Rules in Effect

Archived