Softball transfer portal (Taylon added 6/12/19)

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

At a smaller program. It remains to be seen  if the success  he had at James Madison can be transferred to a big program like Auburn.  As frustrated as I am though I feel like he deserves the opportunity to land his own recruits and players, meaning players that committed to and signed with him then see where things go.

Also, James Madison has not missed a beat since Dean left.  

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think she was negative towards Dean. Players we have lost to transfer portal will hurt but how Dean Recruits and gets his type of players will determine if we are a Regional Program or a Super Regional.  As always Pitching is what makes or breaks a Softball team. If we get Makayla back everything changes if not we need somebody to develop and step up or a couple of incoming players to step up.

31 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Technically the players are supposed to initiate the contact with new schools.....or that was the way it was in the past......but not much to keep schools from looking at the hundreds of names on the list and trying to find some players that seem to fill a need and encouraging them to apply.  

Schools probably don't have to. Players likely get enough push from frustrated family & friends to add to their own thoughts. And just like any other college sport we don't know what may have been promised from coaches to land recruits then not come to fruition.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Technically the players are supposed to initiate the contact with new schools.....or that was the way it was in the past......but not much to keep schools from looking at the hundreds of names on the list and trying to find some players that seem to fill a need and encouraging them to apply. 

Schools will do that, and then they'll have to initiate some contact, whether up front,  under the table or through some interested 3rd party. Some player that exactly fills your needs may not have even thought about your school. A one time tweet from a burner phone would be untraceable, at least that's what the cop shows say. Just send a picture of the AU logo with a softball and then toss the phone.

Just now, OlderWhiskey said:

I nominate Mikey for skullduggery coordinator.

I would suck at that! I don't have a poker face and my initial reaction to being found out doing something sneaky has always been: "Yeah, I did that. What are you going to do about it?"

3 hours ago, slot canyon said:

May have missed my post above with this info.

Didn't miss your post @slot canyon. I just quoted your post and gave a sentence on what the interview was about so other readers would know.

17 hours ago, auburnphan said:

She really didn’t mince any words with Dean and his program direction.

JMO but sounded like she didn't have inside scoop on anything...was not impressed...or concerned by her comments. ⏭️⏭️⏭️

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

JMO but sounded like she didn't have inside scoop on anything...was not impressed...or concerned by her comments. ⏭️⏭️⏭️

She questioned why he is focusing on the midwest for recruiting when Georgia and Florida are loaded with talent.  She said the talent in the midwest is not the same as the south.  Said she sees a Regional team and not a Super Regional team future.   She hedged around the talent of the recruits coming in to not be insulting.   To me that is not mincing words, so obviously we will disagree again.

53 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

She questioned why he is focusing on the midwest for recruiting when Georgia and Florida are loaded with talent.  She said the talent in the midwest is not the same as the south.  Said she sees a Regional team and not a Super Regional team future.   She hedged around the talent of the recruits coming in to not be insulting.   To me that is not mincing words, so obviously we will disagree again.

Look at the commits/signees we have though. Her statements are only partially truthful. Also she dropped the ball in her analysis not pointing out we have 2 of the top 3 pitchers on her site committed for 2020.

22 hours ago, slot canyon said:

10 minute interview covers Lenti &AU recruiting

May have missed my post above with this info.  Non the less, what puzzles me about this was one issue she (Maren Agnus) was questioned about....why would a well known HC take assistant job at AU.  He has such strong ties to Chicago area.  Since DePaul is a private college I have not found any salary information regarding previous salary nor do I know what AU will offer.  Last I knew his wife has a VP position with Wintrust  Community Banks.  which has over 150 locations.  (for comparison about 1/4 asset size as Regions)  Suspect she has a pretty good position.  Two of his daughters would be "adult age" and could be living in the area....I am speculating.  I  can only imagine pulling up roots in that situation to take assistant SB coach position in Auburn.  I view the hire favorably but something just seems out of kilter.

WHile it does have that 'Huh' feel, maybe it doesn't sound much different than Golloway leaving the Oklahoma area after 25+ years to take over at Auburn. All his family was out there, so it seemed strange to take over a struggling program from an established one at Oklahoma.

Let's just see how this plays out. Maybe Lenti is thinking of Auburn as a future retirement area? Most of the coaches we used to have seem to come back and retire in this area...

27 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Look at the commits/signees we have though. Her statements are only partially truthful. Also she dropped the ball in her analysis not pointing out we have 2 of the top 3 pitchers on her site committed for 2020.

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Overall, I felt her comments were reasonable.  It would seem fair to say that more good players come from certain areas of the country and that may be partly due to weather conditions.  As an example, I don't recall hearing about players from New England area on high profile teams.  Comparing some recent commits/signees from Bandits they have a 2020 committed to Bama, a 2021 committed to KY, a 2023 committed to Florida.  Appears Auburn made a sweep prior to the new contact rules and got a commit from a 2020, 2021 and two for 2022.  Recall that our 2019 signee (Calvert) is from the Bandits organization.  Clearly they have most of there players commit to Midwest schools too numerous for me to list..  Looking at the Thunderbolts 18 Premier ( consist of 2019 - 2021 D1 prospects), all of whom are committed, I attempted to tabulate destinations.  In the just signed 2019 class Bama 1, Fla 1, Mississippi State 3 (they seem to have a real connection), Maryland 2, Army, Purdue and Virginia each 1.  Auburn had 2 (McCondichie and Maddie Majors).  For 2020 AU has 1 (Lowe) and Maryland 1.  In 2021 Florida State 1.  

Suspect a higher percentage of players from teams like the Thunderbolts go to what I would consider high profile programs than you would see from the Bandits.  However that is not to say that very good players do not come from a team like the Bandits also.  We are getting ready to get a look at some of them.  Bottom line to me is try get the best players who want to play for your program/school and put them in position to maximize their talents.  

6 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

Overall, I felt her comments were reasonable.  It would seem fair to say that more good players come from certain areas of the country and that may be partly due to weather conditions.  As an example, I don't recall hearing about players from New England area on high profile teams.  Comparing some recent commits/signees from Bandits they have a 2020 committed to Bama, a 2021 committed to KY, a 2023 committed to Florida.  Appears Auburn made a sweep prior to the new contact rules and got a commit from a 2020, 2021 and two for 2022.  Recall that our 2019 signee (Calvert) is from the Bandits organization.  Clearly they have most of there players commit to Midwest schools too numerous for me to list..  Looking at the Thunderbolts 18 Premier ( consist of 2019 - 2021 D1 prospects), all of whom are committed, I attempted to tabulate destinations.  In the just signed 2019 class Bama 1, Fla 1, Mississippi State 3 (they seem to have a real connection), Maryland 2, Army, Purdue and Virginia each 1.  Auburn had 2 (McCondichie and Maddie Majors).  For 2020 AU has 1 (Lowe) and Maryland 1.  In 2021 Florida State 1.  

Suspect a higher percentage of players from teams like the Thunderbolts go to what I would consider high profile programs than you would see from the Bandits.  However that is not to say that very good players do not come from a team like the Bandits also.  We are getting ready to get a look at some of them.  Bottom line to me is try get the best players who want to play for your program/school and put them in position to maximize their talents.  

That's fair but I still don't see how she doesn't give a fuller picture by not mentionting we have 2 of the top 3 pitchers on her site committed for 2020

1 minute ago, EagleEye67 said:

I guess McDowell is our fulltime shortstop now

Or one of the girls coming in.

33 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

WHile it does have that 'Huh' feel, maybe it doesn't sound much different than Golloway leaving the Oklahoma area after 25+ years to take over at Auburn. All his family was out there, so it seemed strange to take over a struggling program from an established one at Oklahoma.

Let's just see how this plays out. Maybe Lenti is thinking of Auburn as a future retirement area? Most of the coaches we used to have seem to come back and retire in this area...

I am more than willing to see how this plays out.   However Galloway was head coach at both schools.  In my mind I speculated some of the possibilities that you mentioned regarding retirement.  He has likely worked at DePaul long enough to be pension eligible and his wife may be ready to retire.  These are things I do not know.  What I do know is that it seems unusual that a 62 year old, one year removed head SB coach would move from his long term home to take a assistant job at Auburn.  I look forward to his arrival and maybe some insight he might impart on us curious fans.

20 hours ago, Mikey said:

A one time tweet from a burner phone would be untraceable, at least that's what the cop shows say.

Could someone pass along this important pro-tip to Hugh Freeze?    Thanks in advance.

34 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I agree, she really didn't seem to feel confident in some of her assessments, with her pauses and having to think through some of the questions she was asked. Seemed like she really didn't know Dean that well. 

But, I do agree that he is using his connections from the north and east more to get his recruits. But at the same time he got a good one in Alabama w the pitcher from Holtville. What he needs to be sure he recruits well and coaches better with our hitters. I am wondering if Lenti is a better offensive coach than Ketelbut was? 

5 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I agree, she really didn't seem to feel confident in some of her assessments, with her pauses and having to think through some of the questions she was asked. Seemed like she really didn't know Dean that well. 

But, I do agree that he is using his connections from the north and east more to get his recruits. But at the same time he got a good one in Alabama w the pitcher from Holtville. What he needs to be sure he recruits well and coaches better with our hitters. I am wondering if Lenti is a better offensive coach than Ketelbut was? 

Agree...and I just don't see her as some kind of expert.   and as for recruiting......in recent years teams from Michigan, Kentucky, Minn.among others from the middle of the country have been quite good and I'm not so sure the best players are in our normal recruiting area.   

JMO but softball recruiting does not seem to be as regional as football or baseball.   Just look at the bama roster...players from everywhere ….most not from the south....and Florida....a third of the team is from at least 1000 miles from the UF.

I think we let CMD do the job the way he wants....including his recruiting...:dunno: 

23 minutes ago, all4AU said:

Carmyn Greenwood posted on Instagram that she is playing at Louisville next year with her sister. 

That will be cool for her.  Good luck to her. 

2 hours ago, warladytigers said:

It will be closer to home for her.

JMO but that's a very reasonable excuse....gotta be expensive for a family to travel so far to watch her play....and frankly the scholarship situation is just not that great ...doubt it offsets the negative factors of being so far from home. .

6 hours ago, AU64 said:

JMO but that's a very reasonable excuse....gotta be expensive for a family to travel so far to watch her play....and frankly the scholarship situation is just not that great ...doubt it offsets the negative factors of being so far from home. .

Think it was other family concerns besides finances FWIW.

Archived