Softball transfer portal (Taylon added 6/12/19)

7 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Good question.  The girls coming in this fall have all signed an NLI, I believe, or is it a grant-in aid?  Either way, I think they're under a legal obligation.

That's the 2019 class. The 2020 class signs this winter & next Spring. I could be wrong but I didn't see anyone from the class that just signed on the Bandits.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Is Ketelhut still on staff?

Based on the Rivals article posted in the new hire thread it looks like EK is out.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I can't say. I avoid talking to the players on game days other than greeting them & wishing them a great game. I don't want to take away from their focus. What I can tell you is the style of the program is night & day different between Myers & Dean. Things were a lot more laid back in the program under Myers than they are now with Dean. There's probably more to this as you said. One way or the other though I would think the coach & the parents of such an easily family accessable sport like college softball need to get on the same page at some point

I was just gonna say Dean runs more of a bring your lunch box kind of program.  Myers ran a Grandpa program, work hard to make grandpa proud yet have the fun of it being grandpa you are with.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

That's the 2019 class. The 2020 class signs this winter & next Spring. I could be wrong but I didn't see anyone from the class that just signed on the Bandits.

He coached a 16U team before he came to AU last year.  I believe those girls will be in the 2020 signing class. 

44 minutes ago, around4ever said:

I do agree that Myers getting the boot affected his recruits.  What I have trouble with is why did the girls hang around for two seasons and now decide to transfer.  

I think there is something deeper than just 'Myers' girls'.  I do think AD Greene needs to have a conversation with Coach Dean but he also needs to have conversations with the transferring players and maybe their parents.   There is more to this story. 

The new transfer rule makes it much easier for a player to leave and JMO but a few years ago, few softball players would have even thought about leaving their first choice school but the "free agency" we have now almost encourages that process.     Plus the scholarship situation is so poor that most transfers are not giving up much in the way of $$$ aid I bet. 

As for the dumpster fire comment......AU went to CWS under Meyers....period...before he got here we were rarely ranked and don't think we ever got past a first round in a regional.    So the idea that AU has some legacy of playing in the CWS or even advancing in tournaments is just wrong.    Pretty much we are back to where we were when Clint got here...and where we had been for a dozen years. ..before that.    

CCM just set the bar a lot higher and people like me who never watched AU softball now expect Oklahoma City to be in our schedule every year now.   I have some doubts about CMD but folks need to be more reasonable about the expectations after a coaching change. 

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I was just gonna say Dean runs more of a bring your lunch box kind of program.  Myers ran a Grandpa program, work hard to make grandpa proud yet have the fun of it being grandpa you are with.

Yup! The girls and the entire environment was much looser & relaxed under Myers. It's more business like now.

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Jaylin Calvert played for the Bandits.  The only one, though.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yup! The girls and the entire environment was much looser & relaxed under Myers. It's more business like now.

I was talking to a travel team coach last week.  He talked about how you have to make practices enjoyable and putting time in on the side fun as well.  He likened it to the teacher that makes learning fun and you don’t realize how much you learned until later.  Except that the games show your progress in softball.  It is ok to have fun and enjoy the moment, that is what makes softball great.

15 minutes ago, around4ever said:

He coached a 16U team before he came to AU last year.  I believe those girls will be in the 2020 signing class. 

It's so hard to find free info on softball commits now before they sign that I don't expect to know about the 2020 class til November.

I will admit I’m not an expert on the inner workings of our softball program, but there seems to be a lot of posts about Dean not being overly popular with his players and parents. The man has won 73% of his games as a head coach over 14 years, winning over 40 games 9 years. You can’t accomplish that if  you can’t relate well to players. Maybe the unhappy players need to move on to their greener pastures, and let Dean bring in the type of players he wants. He’s been highly successful doing that. 

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

As for the dumpster fire comment......AU went to CWS under Meyers....period...before he got here we were rarely ranked and don't think we ever got past a first round in a regional.    So the idea that AU has some legacy of playing in the CWS or even advancing in tournaments is just wrong.   Pretty much we are back to where we were when Clint got here...and where we had been for a dozen years. ..before that.

17 years of mediocrity before Clint, to be exact. Then he gave us four great seasons and now we're back to our normal place. Do I want a return to the glory days Clint brought to Auburn softball? Of course, but it's not like those fast four years are our norm.

For anybody wanting a quick look at our softball history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auburn_Tigers_softball

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

In the 2019 class that has signed and will arrive this fall, Calvert and Engelkes are  both listed on the 18U-Kelly Beverly Bandits.  Maia Engelkes, until this year had played on South Dakota Renegades.  (I wonder if she had been encouraged to seek out a "higher profile" travel ball team).  

31 - Kelsey Schmidt

Kelsey Schmidt a 2020 Bandits outfielder, from the info I have scribbled, committed to AU January 2019.  Her twitter page profile still shows her as a commit.  She could dress in an all blue uniform and display the AU colors.  

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

@slot canyon would you do the rest of us fans a huge favor & put those names into the OP of your 2019 recruiting thread that is pinned at the top of the baseball & softball forum? Would greatly appreciate it!

Maddison Koepke, East Cobb bullets, MIF

Carlee McCondichie, Thunderbolts, MIF/OF

Maia Engelkes, SD Renegades/Beverly Bandits, MIF/UT

Jaylin Calvert, Bandits, OF

KK Dismukes, pitcher

Lindsey Garcia, Gold Coast Hurricanes, SS/OF

Maddie Majors, Thunderbolts, OF

Phoebe Florian, East Cobb Bullets, MIF/OF

8 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

He’s been highly successful doing that

At a smaller program. It remains to be seen  if the success  he had at James Madison can be transferred to a big program like Auburn.  As frustrated as I am though I feel like he deserves the opportunity to land his own recruits and players, meaning players that committed to and signed with him then see where things go.

28 minutes ago, ellitor said:

At a smaller program. It remains to be seen  if the success  he had at James Madison can be transferred to a big program like Auburn.  As frustrated as I am though I feel like he deserves the opportunity to land his own recruits and players, meaning players that committed to and signed with him then see where things go.

We agree on him deserving a little more time. He won over 40 games at AU last season. The talent level on this year’s team just wasn’t as good as it has been. And losing your ace pitcher in softball is a huge loss since they pitch such a high percentage of your innings. I hope we get good news on Martin getting another year. 

29 minutes ago, ellitor said:

"Smaller program" which means less money, poorer facilities and more difficult recruiting situation....and yet he was successful on the national level.   JMO but if some of the players or parents don't appreciate his style, it's time for them to move on...not the coach.  

:dunno:The guy's been coaching a certain way for quite a while and I can't see him making many changes to accommodate players or parents who will just be around a couple years or so. 

• ellitor changed the title to Softball transfer portal (Taylon added 6/12/19)
11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Here's the full softball transfer portal. It appears to be updated daily. Adding it to the OP.

https://www.softballamerica.com/stories/ncaa-softball-division-i-transfer-tracker/

I think you need a recruiting staffer just to keep up evaluate and find interest in the players on the list.  I mean when do you offer or start offering as a better fit might be added the next day or week.  It is an interesting dynamic that powerhouses will surely use to their advantage.

Already have.  That's how Florida got Kendyl Lindaman from MN and now Charla Echols from Mich. St.  Both formidable hitters.  Texas has about three former Oregon players from last year's debacle out there, including ace pitcher Elish and their catcher Mary Iakopo.

2 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Already have.  That's how Florida got Kendyl Lindaman from MN and now Charla Echols from Mich. St.  Both formidable hitters.  Texas has about three former Oregon players from last year's debacle out there, including ace pitcher Elish and their catcher Mary Iakopo.

Texas got the ducks players because Texas hired their coach

2 hours ago, slot canyon said:

Interview with Maren Angus from Softball America

10 minute interview covers Lenti &AU recruiting.

2 hours ago, slot canyon said:

Interview with Maren Angus from Softball America

10 minute interview covers Lenti &AU recruiting

May have missed my post above with this info.  Non the less, what puzzles me about this was one issue she (Maren Agnus) was questioned about....why would a well known HC take assistant job at AU.  He has such strong ties to Chicago area.  Since DePaul is a private college I have not found any salary information regarding previous salary nor do I know what AU will offer.  Last I knew his wife has a VP position with Wintrust  Community Banks.  which has over 150 locations.  (for comparison about 1/4 asset size as Regions)  Suspect she has a pretty good position.  Two of his daughters would be "adult age" and could be living in the area....I am speculating.  I  can only imagine pulling up roots in that situation to take assistant SB coach position in Auburn.  I view the hire favorably but something just seems out of kilter.

Technically the players are supposed to initiate the contact with new schools.....or that was the way it was in the past......but not much to keep schools from looking at the hundreds of names on the list and trying to find some players that seem to fill a need and encouraging them to apply. 

As for the question about the new assistant coach, I would expect that the athletic department would address those in the interview process....all good questions but could be all kinds of personal reasons for a "change of scenery" that don't raise issues about the man's character. 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

10 minute interview covers Lenti &AU recruiting.

She really didn’t mince any words with Dean and his program direction.

Archived