Softball transfer portal (Taylon added 6/12/19)

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

With near 300 names if not more in the portal most teams have players coming & going.

True...and I guess every player has what she thinks is good reason for making a change and every coach taking a transfer into the program thinks he/she is improving the team.   A big game of musical chairs.....and like in the game, when it comes time to take a seat, some folks are gonna be left with no place to go....:dunno:

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, all4AU said:

Softball America is reporting that Tyler King, an outfielder from ECU, is transferring to Auburn. She has 2 years of eligibility left. 

She was one of the best hitters on their team & she has some speed.

Player   avg  gp-gs  ab  2b  3b  hr  rbi  bb  hbp  so  sb-att 
KING, Tyler   .314  49-49  175  28  55  17  13  15-21 

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

some folks are gonna be left with no place to go.

There's places to go. Some will just have to go to lower divisions & levels than they are expecting.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Holy Schnikeys! OU's dominant pitcher is transferring to Arizona...

Wow! 

14 hours ago, ellitor said:

She was one of the best hitter on their team & she has some speed.

If she's our leadoff hitter, Auburn is going to be awful. .319 career OBP (she doesn't walk) against weak competition (119th SoS per Massey in 2019), 9 CS in 30 career attempts. Judging by her total chances in the OF, you can speculatively say her range is good, but she has committed a few too many errors imo.

Overall, not someone you'd want starting in the SEC.

@4WDE it's annoying when you face palm a post & don't give a reason why. You are a well respected poster. If you have something to add or share then please do. Thanks!

5 hours ago, steeleagle said:

So what does that leave?

It certainly isn't playing close to home (I know, OK is closer than AL:).

Maybe just wanting to play for the best program right now since her tie to Meyers was gone?

I heard she doesn’t like saltwater and OU was the furthest from both coasts and the gulf.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Holy Schnikeys! OU's dominant pitcher is transferring to Arizona...

Actually Lopez was the #2 pitcher for OU, after Juarez.  The feeling on Ultimate College Softball is that she transferred so she could finally be the #1 somewhere.  Certainly has the numbers for it.  Arizona lost McQuillen to graduation.

20 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Actually Lopez was the #2 pitcher for OU, after Juarez

Didn't say she was their #1. 51-2 & 1.61 ERA is dominant no matter how you slice it.

Thanks for the extra info though.

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

There's places to go. Some will just have to go to lower divisions & levels than they are expecting.

I'm thinking that if they are giving up scholarship money at school A to transfer..."Somewhere"  they may not find it again.    As bad as the scholarship issue is, schools won't and don't just give them out easily.  But then again, how many of the transfers lost their schollys?   

And as someone noted, most of the transfers have no real performance history so they are competing in the marketplace with incoming freshmen and JUCO players.    I'm betting that when the portal closes, ...you can look at the list and will see a lot of names that are unattached.     

32 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I'm thinking that if they are giving up scholarship money at school A to transfer..."Somewhere"  they may not find it again.    As bad as the scholarship issue is, schools won't and don't just give them out easily.  But then again, how many of the transfers lost their schollys?

Most likely the girls who end up having to drop levels likely wasn't getting much scholly money anyway. Could get more at a lower level.

35 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I'm betting that when the portal closes, ...you can look at the list and will see a lot of names that are unattached.

The portal never closes. & if we see names unattached it will be more likely due to the new school not being reported.

There always have been a lot of transfers/retirements from college softball.  The portal is just making it more public and Auburn’s recent success are making many more aware.  

18 hours ago, ellitor said:

@4WDE it's annoying when you face palm a post & don't give a reason why. You are a well respected poster. If you have something to add or share then please do. Thanks!

Don't go soft on me :)  What is understood, doesn't need to be discussed.  Obvious common denominator regardless of any spin. 

15 minutes ago, 4WDE said:

Don't go soft on me :)  What is understood, doesn't need to be discussed.  Obvious common denominator regardless of any spin. 

Deep.:-\

Read that in Obi Wan's voice.

Jedi mind trick.

19 hours ago, wildling said:

If she's our leadoff hitter, Auburn is going to be awful. .319 career OBP (she doesn't walk) against weak competition (119th SoS per Massey in 2019), 9 CS in 30 career attempts. Judging by her total chances in the OF, you can speculatively say her range is good, but she has committed a few too many errors imo.

Overall, not someone you'd want starting in the SEC.

According to the poster on Ultimate College Softball, King announced via Instagram she was transferring to Auburn on June 6.  This was 6 days before Taylon announced she was transferring, so I doubt that CMD was thinking leadoff hitter at the time.  More likely a CF to replace Podany, since we lost Greenwood and Moseley.  That said, I agree that her numbers are not overly impressive, and 5 is a good many errors in center.  Draper had 0 errors in 2016.  OTOH, Tiffany Howard had 5 errors in left that same year.  They each had 87 POs.

Gotta let the man gets who he wants that he can get, and see what he can do with them.

1 hour ago, 4WDE said:

I don’t know what you’re trying to say. I’m just bringing over info from people connected to the program. It could be right or it could be wrong. If you say the face palms are for the info and not for me posting the info then I’m cool with them.  If they are for me posting the info then that does bother me because no one else I respect does that to my posts when I’m just being the messenger.

19 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

According to the poster on Ultimate College Softball, King announced via Instagram she was transferring to Auburn on June 6.  This was 6 days before Taylon announced she was transferring, so I doubt that CMD was thinking leadoff hitter at the time.  More likely a CF to replace Podany, since we lost Greenwood and Moseley.  That said, I agree that her numbers are not overly impressive, and 5 is a good many errors in center.  Draper had 0 errors in 2016.  OTOH, Tiffany Howard had 5 errors in left that same year.  They each had 87 POs.

Gotta let the man gets who he wants that he can get, and see what he can do with them.

I was quoting ellitor who said something like "she's likely going to leadoff", but then edited his post and my post.

On 6/25/2019 at 8:53 PM, mustache eagle said:

I heard she doesn’t like saltwater and OU was the furthest from both coasts and the gulf.

...and she's a stormchaser in her spare time.

On 6/25/2019 at 4:48 PM, ellitor said:

She can play a number of positions. Unless OU has all their starters back she'll start.

I wish her only the best.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2019 at 8:07 PM, ellitor said:

She was one of the best hitters on their team & she has some speed.

Player   avg  gp-gs  ab  2b  3b  hr  rbi  bb  hbp  so  sb-att 

Softball America is the only source reporting this that I have seen.  Has this become official?  I haven't seen anything on ITAT about it.  Typically there's an article about these transfers.

Just now, WarTiger said:

Softball America is the only source reporting this that I have seen.  Has this become official?  I haven't seen anything on ITAT about it.  Typically there's an article about these transfers.

Phillip Marshall also mentioned Tyler transferring reportedly, in his column on Yarbrough transfer. He also said no official word from Auburn, yet....

17 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Phillip Marshall also mentioned Tyler transferring reportedly, in his column on Yarbrough transfer. He also said no official word from Auburn, yet....

Auburn may or may not make a formal announcement on these transfers. It's very possible the only thing AU does is have their names on roster when the roster is newly updated in the fall.

Archived