Softball transfer portal (Taylon added 6/12/19)

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Generally I'm not that happy with all the transfers in college sports but as for softball...as long as the scholarship situation is so pitiful, I have nothing but sympathy for a playing wanting to move on if she isn't getting to play regularly......of if she thinks she has the ability to play at a higher level....or if some coach will give her a 50% scholarship when she is just getting 25% now. ...or she get's closer to home.     

JMO but the current partial scholarship and immediate playing time is a far cry from the "golden handcuffs" that have generally applied in the major sports and often keep players at a school because they can 't afford to leave. . 

Good perspective

I think it is too easy for fans to forget these are kids trying to navigate this world of well paid adults.

Also, she said something I’ve long said ... I hope this helps overhaul how and why players end up at schools.  A few years from now, hopefully coaches will have kids at schools for the right reasons.  Additionally, this will encourage schools to build programs not coaches.

• 4 weeks later...

Just read an interesting piece on Softball America re the transfer portal.  Things that stood out:  1) Of 310 players who have entered the portal since May 1, 130 have found new schools.  This means that 180 (slightly under 60%) have not; 2)  The SEC, by far, had the most transferees with 50; and 3)  Auburn was not in the top 12 regarding numbers of transfers since Oct. 2018.  Complete article follows.

Today is the first day of August, which means many universities will begin the fall semester soon.

The transfer portal has been busy since it came to be in the fall of 2018, but the number of student-athletes who have entered it since the end of the 2018 season has far exceeded expectations.

At Softball America, we have tried our best to keep up with the Division I student-athletes who are hoping to be on the move. We began keeping track on May 1, and since then, 310 players have been reported in our transfer tracker.

SA has confirmed that 130 of those student-athletes have committed to new programs, while 180 are still searching for landing spots.

If we see any other student-athletes announce their transfers, it will most likely mean that they aren't enrolling until the spring semester or will not be playing in 2020 at all.

By the Numbers

Total Student-Athletes: 748
Division-I: 528
Power 5 since May 1, 2019: 88
Plus 27 since May 1, 2019: 222
Schools with the most since October 2018: San Jose State (11), Oregon (10), Mississippi State (9), Rutgers (8), Missouri (8), FIU (7), Louisiana (7), NC State (7), Coppin State (6), Kennesaw State (6), Mercer (6), Iowa (6)
A10: 15
ASUN: 15
America East: 6
American: 9
ACC: 30
Big 12: 12
Big East: 6
Big Sky: 19
Big South: 17
Big Ten: 27
Big West: 9
Colonial: 14
CUSA: 31
Horizon: 9
Metro Atlantic: 9
Mid-American: 12
MEAC: 20
MVC: 9
Mountain West: 26
NEC: 14
OVC: 15
Pac-12: 30
Patriot: 6
SEC: 50
Southern: 14
Southland: 20
Sun Belt: 36
Ivy: 2
Summit: 11
West Coast: 13
WAC: 16

The number not finding new schools does not surprise me.....most seem to be leaving because they are not getting playing time at their existing school thus most schools at similar competitive levels have to wonder if the "transferee" could add to their team.   JMO but in future years, the number entering the portal will be far less and players are more likely to transfer if they know where they are going / "have an offer"  when they pull the trigger.   

Lots of these girls have made a big mistake by announcing they want to leave....probably cutting themselves off from their current school with no place to land. 

I just noticed that the numbers can be misleading.  The number of 50 for the SEC includes all since Oct. 2018.  I recounted and found that, since May 1, 30 SEC players have entered the portal, with 22 finding new schools.

2 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I just noticed that the numbers can be misleading.  The number of 50 for the SEC includes all since Oct. 2018.  I recounted and found that, since May 1, 30 SEC players have entered the portal, with 22 finding new schools.

numbers might be misleading but considering that SEC is top of the class and yet nearly 1/3 of transfers might be left out....still should be a wake-up call for those who might make a precipitous decision to jump without a parachute available. :dunno:

Agree with both your posts above.  I think portal use will diminish, once the players see how it works, or doesn't work.  I also looked at the 22 SEC players who successfully transferred, and found that six transferred to schools with stronger programs than the one they were leaving; e.g., Taylon to Oklahoma and Baylee Klingler from aTm to Washington.  The other 16 went to lower-ranked or smaller schools, although there is some ambiguity.  Two of Mississippi State's players went to Grand Canyon and James Madison.  JMU made the WCWS this year, but Megan Good is gone now, so is JMU stronger than MSU?  I dunno.

Just off the top of my head, I see 4 scenarios for kids using the portal with 3 of them being positive.  1 - they are really good players who are confident they'll get picked up. 2 - they have worked the back channels before entering the portal and are confident they'll get picked up.  3 - they are taking a flyer as a last ditch effort to continue their playing career and know that failure is a possibility.  4 - they don't have the first clue what they are doing and will fail.  

The first 3 puts the kids somewhat in control of their decisions regardless of outcome and that is a good thing.  the 4th ... well ... its everyone's right to make bad choices.

I will throw a 5th and 6th option.   They put their name out their hoping to get scholarship money because there own got eliminated or reduced by the former school.  They just didn’t like the situation they were in wether it was the school, teammates, coaches, distance, etc.

2 hours ago, auburnphan said:

I will throw a 5th and 6th option.   They put their name out their hoping to get scholarship money because there own got eliminated or reduced by the former school.  They just didn’t like the situation they were in wether it was the school, teammates, coaches, distance, etc.

the thing is...if players in situations 5 or 6 don't fall under options 1-3...they are SOL when the phone does not ring from another school....

10 hours ago, AU64 said:

the thing is...if players in situations 5 or 6 don't fall under options 1-3...they are SOL when the phone does not ring from another school....

I really think that people are not fully understanding the situations of partial scholarship athletes in college sports.  95% know that the education is their future.  Many of them may have gotten offers, but the schools might not meet their academic, economic, destination or personality fit.   They play the game because they enjoy it, not for a future.  The portal is to see if there is an opportunity but it is not necessarily even in the students top five reasons for changing schools.  

My biggest issue is the ones who are elite signing with the elite teams creating an advantage.  Especially if elite schools can pull the rug out of another athletes scholarship money because her only failure was to not be better than one of the best in the country who now wants to Be on the team and plays their position.

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

My biggest issue is the ones who are elite signing with the elite teams creating an advantage.  Especially if elite schools can pull the rug out of another athletes scholarship money because her only failure was to not be better than one of the best in the country who now wants to Be on the team and plays their position

Agree that this will be a problem....many of the elite players have relationships dating back to travel ball before collage ..and I can imagine that recruiting by players on the top teams to help fill some gaps in their team.....which IMO will be almost uncontrollable. 

I do understand that partial scholarships are not much of an inducement to keep a girl at some school where she is not happy. 

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, TD1 said:

I didn't know where else to put this, but congrats to Chardonnay. She had a no hitter yesterday against Penn State. 

SHe is definitely one we miss in our rotation. Looks like the transfer will work out great for her...

Archived