Emmert Gets a Raise

Tigerbelle

All the guys that played pro ball from my area did their camps for free.....

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol but that's beyond the point but that's usually how these threads go. There's no reason for old men who do nothing to live for lucrative lives off of athletes. They do nothing but make stupid rules because they are out of touch, because they didn't play, they didn't get recruited, they didn't have to walk in the shoes

15 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You think I'm talking about a concert or was I talking about an occupation? I don't know who this guy is but you think he could do a free concert for free without making money first? 

Football and basketball players do camps for free.....just about every celebrity does come type of charity but the question is do you work for free? Do they? 

No.  I agree, nobody should work for free.  They should get paid what the market for their good or service allows. Of course the downside to that, are the players have a service that is limited by the guys that actually own the business.  Yes they are the talent but they are very handsomely paid employees.

any business owner, myself included, should compensate their talent by what they are worth, what they mean to the owner, special situations, what the market will bear and what they deserve based on a myriad of factors - as the one who ultimately foots the majority of the risk I’m going to profit accordingly.  In my case it is within reason because I’m not overly greedy and a happy work environment benefits everyone.

this started with the repeated discussion of college athletes being paid.  I’m a staunchly against payment to college student athletes.  They are welcome to not play and to get into college and pay their own way just like everyone else.  They know what the deal is when they sign their scholly papers.

10 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Well looky here. Quick google search proves Cole wrong. 

E63986C6-B871-4102-8BC2-ED898740D762.jpeg

You're so stupid.....I'm talking about PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES will do camps once they've made money, just like PROFESSIONAL SINGERS like dude mentioned Tim McGraw.....why don't you go read a book or something if you're so interested in proving me wrong? Clearly every time you try now you're wrong....you're not smart enough right now, go watch some webinars or Ted talks or something. 

Or just keep talking about how handsome athletes are because you don't know ANYTHING about sports

33 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Lol but that's beyond the point but that's usually how these threads go. There's no reason for old men who do nothing to live for lucrative lives off of athletes. They do nothing but make stupid rules because they are out of touch, because they didn't play, they didn't get recruited, they didn't have to walk in the shoes

Maybe if some of these athletes got an education like those "OLD MEN THAT DO NOTHING " they can follow their career path and be wealthy too instead of wanting to blame those "OLD MEN THAT DO NOTHING ". Most of the ELITE athletes think they are going pro when they are barely teenagers. I  just don't get the hate towards the people that built the system that gives kids so many opportunities. If the kids don't like the rules find another path to success besides sports. 

WAR EAGLE!!!

56 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Think about your post lol

Just playing devils advocate. Didn't mean to initiate the anti-Cole pack. While I agree with you that college athletes should be compensated in some way, I think there are other larger issues with universities that need to be fixed first.

1 minute ago, arein0 said:

Just playing devils advocate. Didn't mean to initiate the anti-Cole pack. While I agree with you that college athletes should be compensated in some way, I think there are other larger issues with universities that need to be fixed first.

Absolutely!  Although I’m against student athletes getting paid, there should be more protections for the kids.  The grad transfer rule was a fantastic addition.  Every student athlete should strive to complete their degrees before the fall of their senior year.  That could give a lot of kids 2 playing years of bargain/leverage.

everyone blames the ncaa ... but that is simply the colleges themselves.  If change is to be made fans should call the sec presidents and start there.  Whatever side you fall on in a debate. 

5 minutes ago, SlocombTiger said:

Maybe if some of these athletes got an education like those "OLD MEN THAT DO NOTHING " they can follow their career path and be wealthy too instead of wanting to blame those "OLD MEN THAT DO NOTHING ". Most of the ELITE athletes think they are going pro when they are barely teenagers. I  just don't get the hate towards the people that built the system that gives kids so many opportunities. If the kids don't like the rules find another path to success besides sports. 

WAR EAGLE!!!

For one because it primarily wasn't built for the majority of them.....oh and you're saying they don't get educations??? There are many more that has that has not so how come ownership hasn't changed at all with new teams in ALL sports? Why hasn't there been a turnover with the committees? It's laughable that you even assume that the old guys have their positions from their educations to be honest. 

But people in power of course doesn't want change, they don't care about fair. I'm with you though. And yes I want to reiterate the old men that do nothing. 

You're last sentence was pathetic but expected

9 minutes ago, arein0 said:

I agree with this. And I am not anti-cole256. Much respect to Cole. I'm just very passionate about keeping things as much amateur as possible. I still believe that a scholarship is an incredible  payday for these kids. 

WAR EAGLE!!!

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

For one because it primarily wasn't built for the majority of them.....oh and you're saying they don't get educations??? There are many more that has that has not so how come ownership hasn't changed at all with new teams in ALL sports? Why hasn't there been a turnover with the committees? It's laughable that you even assume that the old guys have their positions from their educations to be honest. 

But people in power of course doesn't want change, they don't care about fair. I'm with you though. And yes I want to reiterate the old men that do nothing. 

You're last sentence was pathetic but expected

What do you know about me that leads you to expect that last sentence?  You're better than that based on everything I've read from you. Weak shot....

WAR EAGLE!!!

Nobody is going to be able to form any other examples, or scenarios where a entity gets to every year make billions of dollars generated from the talents of others and the product is the talent as well. Amateur and professional sports is damn near the closest thing to slavery we have going on right now

1 minute ago, SlocombTiger said:

What do you know about me that leads you to expect that last sentence?  You're better than that based on everything I've read from you. Weak shot....

WAR EAGLE!!!

The if you don't like it do something else??? That's pretty much what everybody who is on your side will say.....it's sad IMO but it's said a bunch. It reminds me of when a person has a run in with a policeman and people say they should just do what they are told....no you should treat me fairly. Period.

Just now, cole256 said:

Nobody is going to be able to form any other examples, or scenarios where a entity gets to every year make billions of dollars generated from the talents of others and the product is the talent as well. Amateur and professional sports is damn near the closest thing to slavery we have going on right now

OMG. You talk about pathetic. You just disrespected everything connected to slavery. That argument is the weakest most pathetic crutch used in an argument these days. It's so handy to play that card but I don't know anyone living off the millions of dollars that any slave made 200 years ago. The money these kids make today will last generations. 

To compare college and professional sports to slavery is absolutely ignorant and pathetic. 

WAR EAGLE!!!

10 minutes ago, SlocombTiger said:

OMG. You talk about pathetic. You just disrespected everything connected to slavery. That argument is the weakest most pathetic crutch used in an argument these days. It's so handy to play that card but I don't know anyone living off the millions of dollars that any slave made 200 years ago. The money these kids make today will last generations. 

To compare college and professional sports to slavery is absolutely ignorant and pathetic. 

WAR EAGLE!!!

Just something you can understand I suppose. To Zion, here you take this 50,000 be where we tell you, do what we tell you, eat when we tell you, sleep when we tell you, you can't work or make any money off of your talent while you increase our profit by 500% and we make the money......But we gave you what we decided to give you so shut up and be happy.......by the way if you don't do it the way we want you to do it we'll smear your name and character every step along the way......

LMFAO at weakest pathetic crutch comment as well....But again expected

And wait did you say you don't know anyone living off the millions made from slaves 200 years ago??? 🇺🇸😂😂😂 I think this is why history was taught the way it was taught the last 100 years or so

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

The if you don't like it do something else??? That's pretty much what everybody who is on your side will say.....it's sad IMO but it's said a bunch. It reminds me of when a person has a run in with a policeman and people say they should just do what they are told....no you should treat me fairly. Period.

Come on man ...

the “if you don’t like it, do something else” argument fits most all employment.  It’s a valid point of view just about across the board.

also, money isn’t the be all, end all of success.  It is only a piece of the discussion in what I consider success for me.

I've mentioned this before ... Chris porter is a failure to some people based on “what could have been”.  But in my view the guy has made a living playing basketball for nearly 20 years and traveled the world.  That’s a pretty cool life for a lot of folks.  IMO it’s about making a living - and living - not about making money.  Of course that’s only my view.

Just now, mustache eagle said:

Come on man ...

the “if you don’t like it, do something else” argument fits most all employment.  It’s a valid point of view just about across the board.

also, money isn’t the be all, end all of success.  It is only a piece of the discussion in what I consider success for me.

I've mentioned this before ... Chris porter is a failure to some people based on “what could have been”.  But in my view the guy has made a living playing basketball for nearly 20 years and traveled the world.  That’s a pretty cool life for a lot of folks.  IMO it’s about making a living - and living - not about making money.  Of course that’s only my view.

We're not just talking about anybody though....But even the way this system was set up which isn't fair that's the most that can be said and it's legitimate? I wish there were different ways of doing things. I wish that the sports women excel in somebody could offer a better way under different guidelines. Like an all women private college and the women just went.....Or if historical black colleges could offer that a player could make money off his own brand and still have a path for professional sports was an option and then we could watch what happens to all of these great universities.....And watch most of them fold.....But there aren't other options because this system was created back in a time where most of these athletes are viewed as stock.....

Even in the real world is telling a minority to do something else mean the same as telling a non minority when a non minority without a degree will still make as much or more than one with a degree??? 

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Just something you can understand I suppose. To Zion, here you take this 50,000 be where we tell you, do what we tell you, eat when we tell you, sleep when we tell you, you can't work or make any money off of your talent while you increase our profit by 500% and we make the money......But we gave you what we decided to give you so shut up and be happy.......by the way if you don't do it the way we want you to do it we'll smear your name and character every step along the way......

But it’s a 2 party contract he can choose not to sign.  His path to those mega bucks was paved - on the backs of the talent - by the owners who negotiated those tv contracts, etc.

there is a story out right now about a baseball player who is using the Japan league to leverage his talent against the mlb draft.  Looks like he may go make bank overseas for a few years, make more money up front with better contrast then look at mlb later.  He is gambling on himself a little but good on him.

zion is a brand.  He could discuss a mega deal overseas - I have no idea what that would be - against the nba.  European soccer players are using the Chinese, Russian and American leagues against the traditional Europe leagues.  The whole “try something else” doesn’t have to be as a plumber.  It could be challenging the foundation of the nba by thinking outside the box.

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

We're not just talking about anybody though....But even the way this system was set up which isn't fair that's the most that can be said and it's legitimate? I wish there were different ways of doing things. I wish that the sports women excel in somebody could offer a better way under different guidelines. Like an all women private college and the women just went.....Or if historical black colleges could offer that a player could make money off his own brand and still have a path for professional sports was an option and then we could watch what happens to all of these great universities.....And watch most of them fold.....But there aren't other options because this system was created back in a time where most of these athletes are viewed as stock.....

Even in the real world is telling a minority to do something else mean the same as telling a non minority when a non minority without a degree will still make as much or more than one with a degree??? 

I agree with some of this ... particularly the “ athletes as stock”.  All athletes regardless of gender and race are there to help the team win or make them money.  It is personal for the player but not necessarily for the team - amateur or pro.  That is why I hang on to the amateurism part of college and have much less interest in professional sports.

I'm no fan of the pro owners.  But they have nothing if there is no talent.  The talent should “do something else”.  It’ll take brave and bold people to do it.

1 minute ago, mustache eagle said:

But it’s a 2 party contract he can choose not to sign.  His path to those mega bucks was paved - on the backs of the talent - by the owners who negotiated those tv contracts, etc.

there is a story out right now about a baseball player who is using the Japan league to leverage his talent against the mlb draft.  Looks like he may go make bank overseas for a few years, make more money up front with better contrast then look at mlb later.  He is gambling on himself a little but good on him.

zion is a brand.  He could discuss a mega deal overseas - I have no idea what that would be - against the nba.  European soccer players are using the Chinese, Russian and American leagues against the traditional Europe leagues.  The whole “try something else” doesn’t have to be as a plumber.  It could be challenging the foundation of the nba by thinking outside the box.

Lamello ball is doing this right now and they are doing all they can to keep him out of the league because they're not going to let that infrastructure be broken. They are even worse with football.....But hockey and baseball not so much....go figure

If you can't see how these sports are dominated by minorities but any part of management from coaches, to GM's to owners, to committee board members lack color all the way up.....and you think when people bring up that a change is needed it's come on man as if it's unwarranted complaints I don't know what to tell you

1 minute ago, mustache eagle said:

I agree with some of this ... particularly the “ athletes as stock”.  All athletes regardless of gender and race are there to help the team win or make them money.  It is personal for the player but not necessarily for the team - amateur or pro.  That is why I hang on to the amateurism part of college and have much less interest in professional sports.

I'm no fan of the pro owners.  But they have nothing if there is no talent.  The talent should “do something else”.  It’ll take brave and bold people to do it.

But you have to see that college is pretty much the same thing. If a school doesn't have talent they better be great academically right? Now if talking about a player it's oh well they want to be a pro they should be worried about their education.....with the school it would be oh well you've worried about your athletic brand you better be worried about your teaching credentials....And we look at the latter as the most important as far as the athlete don't we?

Because without those athletes.....I mean you see what happens in high school when the big school play the not so big school.....all the heart in the world can't save you

I’m not saying there aren’t reasonable and valid complaints.  It is definitely a good ole boys club.  But, players either stay in it or try to break the system.  As an example, The ball family isn’t likeable.  If a Zion Williamson, who is likeable, and others do it, then they may move the needle.  Fans can make a difference if they wanted to.  I’m not sure how it’s structures but the big European soccer clubs have powerful fan organizations who move the needle when there is things they don’t like.  I have no idea how it works.

i guess what I’m saying is if the traditional way of changing things by the players isn’t working then try something else.

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

But you have to see that college is pretty much the same thing. If a school doesn't have talent they better be great academically right? Now if talking about a player it's oh well they want to be a pro they should be worried about their education.....with the school it would be oh well you've worried about your athletic brand you better be worried about your teaching credentials....And we look at the latter as the most important as far as the athlete don't we?

Because without those athletes.....I mean you see what happens in high school when the big school play the not so big school.....all the heart in the world can't save you

Gotta get back out to the yard.  I’ll catch back up later.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

53 minutes ago, cole256 said:

And wait did you say you don't know anyone living off the millions made from slaves 200 years ago??? 🇺🇸😂😂😂 I think this is why history was taught the way it was taught the last 100 years or so

Now maybe something you can understand...they told Zion where to be because he was new on campus and he had a schedule to meet. They told him when to eat to help him meet that schedule. They told him when to sleep because kids in a new environment like to go out and most need guidance their first time away from home. 

As far as him not working...he was awarded a full scholarship in exchange for his athletic ability for as long as he attends Duke. He is given the opportunity to study under the best professors in America and receive a degree that could potentially make him a very wealthy man. However,  with his extraordinary athletic prowess a very long career is first. Another PAYOUT  to him is the MASSIVE amount of exposure he gets every time he puts on that Duke jersey. Also the exposure he gets every time he plays on TV. 

First class travel. The best medical care in America. Fed like a king. But all of that isn't  enough. Pay me like that 60 year old man that's MAKING me play sports. 

Smear his character? Lmfao 

WAR EAGLE!!!

Archived