Emmert Gets a Raise

Tigerbelle

27 minutes ago, SlocombTiger said:

I have a son-in-law that is a State Trooper. He stopped to HELP a bus load of people broke down and when he stepped on the bus to talk to the driver, the people on the bus started filming him. Asking him if was going to shoot them. They got in his face and filmed his nameplate and badge. One got off the bus and  took a pic of his tag. Don't feed me that crap about treating someone fairly. He was HELPING  them. Oh...and he was part of the manhunt for the cop killer last week on Wire Road. 

And the bus that was broken down.....the were returning from a BLM rally. 

Wtf does that have to do with anything? Let's just stop because this won't go anywhere

Lmao this post should be pinned

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Wtf does that have to do with anything? Let's just stop because this won't go anywhere

I just tried to talk to you about keeping college athletics as amateur as possible and it turned into a discussion about slavery and cooperating with cops. I'm just responding. But I agree its not productive. Have a great evening and

WAR EAGLE!!!

3 minutes ago, SlocombTiger said:

Now maybe something you can understand...they told Zion where to be because he was new on campus and he had a schedule to meet. They told him when to eat to help him meet that schedule. They told him when to sleep because kids in a new environment like to go out and most need guidance their first time away from home. 

As far as him not working...he was awarded a full scholarship in exchange for his athletic ability for as long as he attends Duke. He is given the opportunity to study under the best professors in America and receive a degree that could potentially make him a very wealthy man. However,  with his extraordinary athletic prowess a very long career is first. Another PAYOUT  to him is the MASSIVE amount of exposure he gets every time he puts on that Duke jersey. Also the exposure he gets every time he plays on TV. 

First class travel. The best medical care in America. Fed like a king. But all of that isn't  enough. Pay me like that 60 year old man that's MAKING me play sports. 

Smear his character? Lmfao 

WAR EAGLE!!!

Your first paragraph is rubbish, in college the athletes that don't from money still find themselves in predicaments where they're without money and would like to work and make extra. We all know what a scholarship is but you'd be an idiot to generate 200 million dollars and be happy when 100,000. Well I guess you wouldn't but anybody with sense

Zion already had a brand and everybody knew of him since middle school. He would've played on TV anywhere. 

Yes pay me for my talents. No you don't get to make a living off the work of my brow, you go out and do your own work. You did ABSOLUTELY nothing for my talent or the game in general old man

3 minutes ago, SlocombTiger said:

I just tried to talk to you about keeping college athletics as amateur as possible and it turned into a discussion about slavery and cooperating with cops. I'm just responding. But I agree its not productive. Have a great evening and

WAR EAGLE!!!

No you didn't try anything or maybe you did and you just don't get it

2 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

It’s getting very 

*cough

*cough

racial in here

Lol it's a cue for you to go look up the world racial then and come back and say something stupid that doesn't mean racial.

But yes the talk of athletes getting paid should have a discussion about race every single time

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Your first paragraph is rubbish, in college the athletes that don't from money still find themselves in predicaments where they're without money and would like to work and make extra. We all know what a scholarship is but you'd be an idiot to generate 200 million dollars and be happy when 100,000. Well I guess you wouldn't but anybody with sense

Zion already had a brand and everybody knew of him since middle school. He would've played on TV anywhere. 

Yes pay me for my talents. No you don't get to make a living off the work of my brow, you go out and do your own work. You did ABSOLUTELY nothing for my talent or the game in general old man

this is kind of silly, and, just like you always do, you pretend that arguements are always completely binary or totally black and white. Yes, Zion had his own brand before entering college. And yes, he could have made money playing oversees. But it is an absolute undeniable fact that playing for Duke was very much a MUTUALLY beneficial relationship between him and the school/ncaa/college basketball whatever. Do not pretend that college basketball did "ABSOLUTELY nothing" for him just like no one should pretend that Zion didn't help elevate Duke even more. The people who build the platform that allows these kids to display their talents to millions of people definitely deserve some credit. Quit pretending otherwise.

Like for real. Do you think Jared  Harper would have the opportunities he has now to possibly play in the NBA without the exposure the NCAA, Auburn, and the SEC gave him? I'm baffled by the "you don't get to make a living off my brow" s*** when it's a totally a symbiotic relationship. Who provides the most benefit does depend on the individual but the system isn't totally corrupt as you'd like think. Plenty of kids wind up making millions in the game becasue the opportunities they were given that they wouldn't have had otherwise 

12 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

this is kind of silly, and, just like you always do, you pretend that arguements are always completely binary or totally black and white. Yes, Zion had his own brand before entering college. And yes, he could have made money playing oversees. But it is an absolute undeniable fact that playing for Duke was very much a MUTUALLY beneficial relationship between him and the school/ncaa/college basketball whatever. Do not pretend that college basketball did "ABSOLUTELY nothing" for him just like no one should pretend that Zion didn't help elevate Duke even more. The people who build the platform that allows these kids to display their talents to millions of people definitely deserve some credit. Quit pretending otherwise.

Like for real. Do you think Jared  Harper would have the opportunities he has now to possibly play in the NBA without the exposure the NCAA, Auburn, and the SEC gave him? I'm baffled by the "you don't get to make a living off my brow" s*** when it's a totally a symbiotic relationship. Who provides the most benefit does depend on the individual but the system isn't totally corrupt as you'd like think. Plenty of kids wind up making millions in the game becasue the opportunities they were given that they wouldn't have had otherwise 

This will be way over your head but the thing about it is the talent isn't equal so I wouldn't expect Zion and Harper to need the same help....the only way they should even be linked is that they are both basketball players.....what did duke do for Zion? If they didn't force him to go to college so college can get the money off of him he'd at least already have made a couple of million now....he just had to wait a year. 

What opportunities are they given? And could this not work if they were given some of the money they help generate? It just has to be set up this way just because?? Hell you used to not be able to play if you were black....good thing that was changed.....used not to be able to play when you was a freshman.....good thing that was changed....But this money system going which didn't know this much money would be talked about back then, and which wasn't even created for African Americans is good? Gtfoh

Also views like this is why a recruit shouldn't EVER feel pressure as far as pleasing a fan base during their recruitment. People don't care really, you better take as long as you need and find someone that's not going to exploit you because you're viewed as entitled. That boy or girl who received the best schooling, who gets good grades and gets that academic scholarship, and that alumni money......they are viewed as the hard workers. They don't have to deal with half of the same pressures or be told what to do half the time. 

People are sheep though....can't change it

2 hours ago, SlocombTiger said:

I agree with this. And I am not anti-cole256. Much respect to Cole. I'm just very passionate about keeping things as much amateur as possible. I still believe that a scholarship is an incredible  payday for these kids. 

WAR EAGLE!!!

Why is it "an incredible payday" but just for student athletes and not for other scholarship students who are allowed to earn money while keeping their scholarships?  College sports is a huge,billion dollar business. It's the height of hypocrisy to call it "amateur" in any sense of the word except for those kids who are doing most of the work and making the big sacrifices. Your outlook is completely out of touch with reality. 

Also too @mustache eagle I have very rarely been able to disagree with people and I reply more than twice they come at me with the you're never wrong stuff the ENTIRE time they are replying and doing the same thing as me which is explain why they feel the way they feel. 

When they started the big bad Cole stuff you could've easily followed along and created a false narrative but we just talked. I really appreciate that. Thanks

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Yes pay me for my talents. No you don't get to make a living off the work of my brow, you go oYou did ABSOLUTELY nothing for my talent or the game in general old man

Always playing the victim. Classic BBC (big bad Cole).

46 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Always playing the victim. Classic BBC (big bad Cole).

Do you have any insight to add besides you running in and not understanding and posting cut and paste that has nothing to do with the subject?? 

Don't you have a prospect or two to stalk on the net??

@cole256 & @Tigerbelle  It is easy to say that the system is broke and it should be fixed, but how do you go about the change in your opinion?

Currently a student athlete gets lower admission requirements, a free education, housing, meal plan at a facility that is better than the average students, free access to tutors and mentors, free gym usage and trainers, early enrollment in classes, a stipend and they can still apply for financial assistance in the form of grants or loans for starters.  These of which being just the official perks of being a student athlete.

When athletic scholarships started most of these things were not in place but as it became more profitable there were more inclusions.  Not saying there is enough but just pointing out the fact.

The concept of selling music or art work was interesting but I believe it would lose merit as any student athlete who also was an artist or musician and majored in those areas would be able to do the same thing.  The idea of being forced to go to college is interesting but it would be easy also for the leagues to require a degree  to be a professional in their sport.  Schools would quickly put in required classes.  As with almost any profession a degree is required.

If athletes were able to do endorsements how does that work as far as boosters.  Also say an Auburn player signed with Nike how does that work with the Under Armor contract.  Do all student athletes need to sign a non-compete cause with the University?

Is setting up a pension for student athletes the avenue to go?  Is some sort of medical insurance plan an avenue?  If so is completing your degree a requirement to qualify?

If a student athlete has an endorsement that negatively impacts the University how does that work?

If a student athlete is allowed to have endorsements, etc.  Do they have the right to have an agent?  Are agents gonna then push kids to certain schools and how do you curtail that from happening.  Will it create more of a Professional sports model of operations?

I get the draft point but that is a different argument.

I think one easy area is to disperse funds to the players for video games where they use their likeness.  50/50

My point being the system is far from perfect, but how do you make it better without hurting what it is?  I absolutely believe it can be improved, I just do not have the answers. Not looking to start a pissing match, just seriously interested.

11 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

@cole256 & @Tigerbelle  It is easy to say that the system is broke and it should be fixed, but how do you go about the change in your opinion?

Currently a student athlete gets lower admission requirements, a free education, housing, meal plan at a facility that is better than the average students, free access to tutors and mentors, free gym usage and trainers, early enrollment in classes, a stipend and they can still apply for financial assistance in the form of grants or loans for starters.  These of which being just the official perks of being a student athlete.

When athletic scholarships started most of these things were not in place but as it became more profitable there were more inclusions.  Not saying there is enough but just pointing out the fact.

The concept of selling music or art work was interesting but I believe it would lose merit as any student athlete who also was an artist or musician and majored in those areas would be able to do the same thing.  The idea of being forced to go to college is interesting but it would be easy also for the leagues to require a degree  to be a professional in their sport.  Schools would quickly put in required classes.  As with almost any profession a degree is required.

If athletes were able to do endorsements how does that work as far as boosters.  Also say an Auburn player signed with Nike how does that work with the Under Armor contract.  Do all student athletes need to sign a non-compete cause with the University?

Is setting up a pension for student athletes the avenue to go?  Is some sort of medical insurance plan an avenue?  If so is completing your degree a requirement to qualify?

If a student athlete has an endorsement that negatively impacts the University how does that work?

If a student athlete is allowed to have endorsements, etc.  Do they have the right to have an agent?  Are agents gonna then push kids to certain schools and how do you curtail that from happening.  Will it create more of a Professional sports model of operations?

I think one easy area is to disperse funds to the players for video games where they use their likeness.  50/50

My point being the system is far from perfect, but how do you make it better without hurting what it is?  I absolutely believe it can be improved, I just do not have the answers. Not looking to start a pissing match, just seriously interested.

Good points.

Contrary to what was said earlier, student athletes aren’t going hungry. Can’t say the same for myself when I was on the college Ramen Noodle diet. There is too much pressure on the NCAA to allow players to profit on their likeness though and the players like Zion will soon be able to profit. 

35 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Absolutely fantastic post. Very well thought out. 

WAR EAGLE!!!

14 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Good points.

Contrary to what was said earlier, student athletes aren’t going hungry. Can’t say the same for myself when I was on the college Ramen Noodle diet. There is too much pressure on the NCAA to allow players to profit on their likeness though and the players like Zion will soon be able to profit. 

Some propose to "fix" a system that works about 99% of college athletes.....why do that for a handful of student /athletes who might be able to made a few buck selling autographs or their own tee shirts?  .....except at bama of course where they would have autograph day and charge $1000 per 'graph and have the REC members lined up to get their caps signed. 

But of course none of that has anything to do with Emmert who does not make the rules on stuff like that...And of course a couple of the conference commissioners make that kind of money too,  for much less responsibility so like him or not,  Emmert's salary is more or less in keeping with the excessive salaries paid at most levels of college athletics. 

31 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Good points.

When I was in college there were plenty of guys who maybe weren't going without eating but was going without everything else and LMAO that NCAA is feeling pressure..   like everyone says only a few play professional sports but there are many that generated millions for their school and literally was given around 30-60,000 dollars of stuff....that doesn't cost the college mind you, it's just that somebody else could've been given the opportunity to pay them....And players like Zion could've profited without the NCAA but NCAA sure profited off of him

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

First LMAO at the people that argued with me and saying they agree with you when you say the system is broken as well but asked how it can be fixed.

Now to answer your question I haven't sat down to even start thinking of how to fix anything but I find it appalling that so many is good with the sports where people of color dominate are so regulated in college but the sports where white people dominate aren't. That clearly the sports with the people of color like I said on every level of management are left out except for players.....so white people have to run it and make major decisions and shut up and be happy with what you get.....And look at this thread....look at how many DO NOT CARE. Not coincidentally you will find that most of the time it's white people that doesn't care and black people that do. Who you think is going to win that? How do you not have a problem with that? You cannot deny it's unfair. Yeah it works....works for the old white men to stay rich and in power forever. I'm sure there's a bunch of ways that could work. This system is best....why? Because minorities weren't looked at as equals and back then people bought teams for 10,000 dollars so now they are in charge? No, I'm too educated now, I will not ever accept anybody telling me or my people to be happy with scraps. 

Most don't even know what a week is like for a D1 college athlete and is so quick to say what they deserve. Also like I said having a college degree means different things for different races but that's where the line is drawn huh? We're not worried about fair then right? 

Like it or not these chains will be broken one day

54 minutes ago, cole256 said:

and LMAO that NCAA is feeling pressure.. 

Well they are. They appointed a commission to study the subject not even a month ago. Coaches like Bruce Pearl are very vocal about his players getting some profit for their likeness, and the talk will soon turn into action.

54 minutes ago, cole256 said:

When I was in college there were plenty of guys who maybe weren't going without eating but was going without everything else

Did they have a better alternative available and if so, why didn’t they take it?  I don’t think the athletic scholarship is meant to be a golden ride into an extravagant living. It should be practical. Is attending law school the golden ticket? Those students are forbidden from work year one and regulated internships afterwards, study unGodly hours, forced into student loan debt, and ultimately  find the job opportunities are not as great as they thought they’d be. Maybe they should get a stipend too. 

30 minutes ago, cole256 said:

First LMAO at the people that argued with me and saying they agree with you when you say the system is broken as well but asked how it can be fixed.

Now to answer your question I haven't sat down to even start thinking of how to fix anything but I find it appalling that so many is good with the sports where people of color dominate are so regulated in college but the sports where white people dominate aren't. That clearly the sports with the people of color like I said on every level of management are left out except for players.....so white people have to run it and make major decisions and shut up and be happy with what you get.....And look at this thread....look at how many DO NOT CARE. Not coincidentally you will find that most of the time it's white people that doesn't care and black people that do. Who you think is going to win that? How do you not have a problem with that? You cannot deny it's unfair. Yeah it works....works for the old white men to stay rich and in power forever. I'm sure there's a bunch of ways that could work. This system is best....why? Because minorities weren't looked at as equals and back then people bought teams for 10,000 dollars so now they are in charge? No, I'm too educated now, I will not ever accept anybody telling me or my people to be happy with scraps. 

Most don't even know what a week is like for a D1 college athlete and is so quick to say what they deserve. Also like I said having a college degree means different things for different races but that's where the line is drawn huh? We're not worried about fair then right? 

I agree with your points on race and integration.  Integration of professional sports made them the value they are today.  When baseball integrated they allowed players but no team from the Negro League was allowed to be added and be an owner.  Every modern day professional golfer should forever thank Tiger Woods for the money they are making now.  Trust me I have gotten into it with racist Auburn fans, there rationalization is appalling.  Being the first person in my family to get a college degree in 2 generations it has a different value for me too.  Sadly there is a population of people that are not worried about fair.

15 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Well they are. They appointed a commission to study the subject not even a month ago. Coaches like Bruce Pearl are very vocal about his players getting some profit for their likeness, and the talk will soon turn into action.

Did they have a better alternative available and if so, why didn’t they take it?  I don’t think the athletic scholarship is meant to be a golden ride into an extravagant living. It should be practical. Is attending law school the golden ticket? Those students are forbidden from work year one and regulated internships afterwards, study unGodly hours, forced into student loan debt, and ultimately  find the job opportunities are not as great as they thought they’d be. Maybe they should get a stipend too. 

Are the law students literally raising 200 million dollars based on their decision to attend the program

38 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I agree with your points on race and integration.  Integration of professional sports made them the value they are today.  When baseball integrated they allowed players but no team from the Negro League was allowed to be added and be an owner.  Every modern day professional golfer should forever thank Tiger Woods for the money they are making now.  Trust me I have gotten into it with racist Auburn fans, there rationalization is appalling.  Being the first person in my family to get a college degree in 2 generations it has a different value for me too.  Sadly there is a population of people that are not worried about fair.

Exactly so my thing is like in this thread when I mentioned it, it was a crutch, a card played.....can't fix a problem without identifying it but let many tell it racism is made up, and to me being like shut up don't worry about management, ownership be happy with what we give you is a form of racism.

Also I bet some of the things that was said to you in the talk you mentioned you've had prior are some of the same things you've read here

9 hours ago, cole256 said:

Are the law students literally raising 200 million dollars based on their decision to attend the program

Is the backup point guard? 

6 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Is the backup point guard? 

For duke possibly. But who cares? Duke damn sure going to get that money. They certainly are getting much more out of the deal. If they me winning yes the back up is going to be vital......And that's Duke. But for a school like us.....what would a couple of final four do for us? How much money is that going to generate?

Archived