Nick Marshall Highlights

StatTiger

I have always been a big fan of Nick Marshall, but compiling the footage and data for this video made me appreciate him even more. Just image what Auburn could have accomplished during 2013 and 2014 with the defenses Auburn has possessed the past two seasons under Kevin Steele. Auburn scored at least 30 points during 22 of their 27 games from 2013-2014 but lost 4 of those games. With a better defense, Auburn is 24-3 rather than 20-7 and would have likely defeated FSU in the National Championship game. Nick Marshall was an impressive athlete who shined at the quarterback position in Gus Malzahn's offense. The mere fact Malzahn built his offense around Marshall is a testament to what kind of player Marshall was at Auburn. His calm demeanor was always refreshing as he rarely appeared to be rattled under any circumstance. Marshall was never too high and was never too low. He was the type of player in the neighborhood everyone would pick first to be on their team. He was a leader by example and always wanted the football in his hands when the game was on the line. I believe he lived for such moments and his overall career at Auburn verifies it.

Hope you all enjoy the video...

https://youtu.be/AXNgxxVCPO8

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

I have always been a big fan of Nick Marshall, but compiling the footage and data for this video made me appreciate him even more. Just image what Auburn could have accomplished during 2013 and 2014 with the defenses Auburn has possessed the past two seasons under Kevin Steele. Auburn scored at least 30 points during 22 of their 27 games from 2013-2014 but lost 4 of those games. With a better defense, Auburn is 24-3 rather than 20-7 and would have likely defeated FSU in the National Championship game. Nick Marshall was an impressive athlete who shined at the quarterback position in Gus Malzahn's offense. The mere fact Malzahn built his offense around Marshall is a testament to what kind of player Marshall was at Auburn. His calm demeanor was always refreshing as he rarely appeared to be rattled under any circumstance. Marshall was never too high and was never too low. He was the type of player in the neighborhood everyone would pick first to be on their team. He was a leader by example and always wanted the football in his hands when the game was on the line. I believe he lived for such moments and his overall career at Auburn verifies it.

Damn...he had a cannon for a right arm.  

WAR EAGLE!!!

Smooth running the ball, canon for an arm, and a magician with the zone read! 

Glad he didn’t play dB, even though it was his best path to the NFL

I subscribed to your channel a couple weeks ago, been some really A-class videos.

One nice stat was his TD-Int ratio in the red zone. Guy rarely turned it over but the staff didnt put him in nearly enough scenarios where he'd have a chance to throw a TD in that area, especially in 2014.

Shame Nick never got a chance to try his hand at QB in the AAF (amongst other shames AAF related) 

Im not glad we've been worse off (by a decent chunk) since he left, but I think this has helped his case as a mount rushmore type of guy at the QB position for Auburn. Certainly had better offensive lines and a better Gus, but with WAYYYYY less receiver talent, playing in the last years of peak SEC-dom, and a leaky defense at best, the guy was always a winner. If you could drop this guy through a time portal and put him on either the 2016 or 17 teams, they're probably unbeatable 

Dude had liquid nitrogen running through his veins.  I miss have a QB running around in circles and chunking it 60 yards.

One of my favorite ever while he was here. Like ST I love him even more after he left. I still think he was among the most intelligent players we ever had. You couldn’t rattle this dude. 

Trip me out that when you bring him up many say he wasn't really a QB or he couldn't throw.....I don't care what positions he played or had to change he produced and on the field he was amazing in my eyes. One of my faves

He never lost sight of what was happening in the game and was a few plays ahead.  Watch the "prayer at Jordan-Hare".   The throw is 60 yards in the air; the ball is caught and everyone in the stands and on the sideline is losing their mind.   In the middle of the bedlum, Marshal is running down the field and yelling at the offense to stay on the field and has two fingers in the air pointing at the sideline to tell them to go for 2.  

I spoke to Dameyune Craig last Spring just after he came to A&M about Marshall's football IQ.  He said Craig was a savant when it came to football awareness ; and that he was one of the smartest players he'd ever coached.  

57 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

2nd best qb in Auburn history 

Really?

Too 5 for sure, but 2nd best? No way. How old are you?That might help explain it.

Love Nick but Cam and Sully clearly best 2 qbs in AU history. Jason Campbell with stability at OC (or maybe 4 years of either Borges or Petrino) would be up there. Travis Tidwell of a different era but was pretty damn good. I could put Nick top 5 I think.....

On 5/25/2019 at 5:14 PM, StatTiger said:

He was even better at shaking tackles than I remember.

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Really?

Too 5 for sure, but 2nd best? No way. How old are you?That might help explain it.

I would probably put him behind Sullivan but he's 3rd at worst, imo. 

27 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I would probably put him behind Sullivan but he's 3rd at worst, imo. 

I could see him at 3rd but I could also see people putting him behind Campbell, White, or L. Nix as well

Nick Marshall made Gus Malzahn the Head Coach.  His talents fixed holes in his offense.  Just like Cam made him an offensive genius.  

5 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

He never got rattled. 

One of my favorite attributes of his.

59 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Really?

I’ve watched highlights of Pat Sullivan. Can’t hold a candle to my boy NM14

5 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Different time, different offense and different defenses.  Pat won the Heisman in his day.  Give the man his due.

8 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Don't embarrass yourself

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I could see him at 3rd but I could also see people putting him behind Campbell, White, or L. Nix as well

NM was way better than Campbell. Possibly  better than the rest of those QBs as well.  Wouldn’t know. I don’t hang out at Jacks every morning with the fellow old geezers while getting senior discounts on my cup of java. Not even dirty thirty.  

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

NM was way better than Campbell. Possibly  better than the rest of those QBs as well.  Wouldn’t know. I don’t hang out at Jacks every morning hanging out with the fellow ild geezers while getting senior discounts on my cup of java. Not even dirty thirty.  

Ignorance isn't an excuse.

BTW, how many years did NM play QB in the NFL compared to Campbell? 

Archived