• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Builder said:

Supposedly this kid is related to someone 

"Of importance"?

First name might be a family name

14 hours ago, WarTiger said:

My understanding is the suv did indeed roll.  Based on the one picture I saw that was allegedly the Brambletts SUV, there's no doubt it rolled.   But, I have no way of confirming if that picture I saw was actually their vehicle.  I don't remember where I saw it either.

fake news

From what I have been told the Bramblett's car was struck in the rear tire area, and it apparently didn't trip the airbag sensors. If that is in fact true, it would be hard to survive a crash of that intensity without airbag protection.

9 hours ago, SCTiger2011 said:

First name might be a family name

you might be onto something

43 minutes ago, Timbeaux38 said:

From what I have been told the Bramblett's car was struck in the rear tire area, and it apparently didn't trip the airbag sensors. If that is in fact true, it would be hard to survive a crash of that intensity without airbag protection.

How would that even be possible with a rear end collision. Also, I'd be looking to Toyota if the airbags failed to deploy. That's a serious issue.

5 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

How would that even be possible with a rear end collision. Also, I'd be looking to Toyota if the airbags failed to deploy. That's a serious issue.

Just went through a recall with my Nissan. They had to reinstall several hundred thousand airbags, I believe. 

59 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I was told they weren't hit in the rear end- more like the rear side/rear tire.

Whether you have  marijuana or prescribed pain killers in your system you can be held liable for any mistake you make.    Ive been told many times you live and die by the decisions you make. its a shame at 16 he has to learn a very tough lesson and one that could change his life for the worse. 

39 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

Whether you have  marijuana or prescribed pain killers in your system you can be held liable for any mistake you make.    Ive been told many times you live and die by the decisions you make. its a shame at 16 he has to learn a very tough lesson and one that could change his life for the worse. 

His life is going to be significantly worse for this. It was his mistake and there's no defending it. And there's no price he can pay that will make it okay. But I can't imagine the path he'll be walking from here. I do pity him.

56 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

His life is going to be significantly worse for this. It was his mistake and there's no defending it. And there's no price he can pay that will make it okay. But I can't imagine the path he'll be walking from here. I do pity him.

Oh definitely. Most of us are lucky the decisions we made at his age never caught up with us. Thinking about myself then, and looking at where I am now is a pretty sobering thought.

FWIW - I heard a guy on the radio say that they take a blood sample after the accident and then take samples over the course of a week. If there is a significant drop in the metabolites then it can be inferred that he was high at the time of the accident. I am not sure what qualifications "guy" has but it seems reasonable and why it took so long to determine if he was intoxicated.

That aside - I still feel bad for everyone. Even if this kid pleads out of major jail time - he is going to be psychologically messed up. For all we know he could have been a good kid who did something dumb that resulted in a death. Im not even going to say I was never as dumb as this kid - i am just lucky i never got caught or killed someone.

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Oh definitely. Most of us are lucky the decisions we made at his age never caught up with us. Thinking about myself then, and looking at where I am now is a pretty sobering thought.

^^This right here. I have made bad decisions myself and was fortunate that I never faced the type of consequences that this young man will face. I have no idea why some are spared and some aren't but count yourselves blessed if you lived carelessly as a young adult and didn't cause this magnitude of grief for anyone. 

30 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

21 minutes ago, gr82be said:

^^This right here. I have made bad decisions myself and was fortunate that I never faced the type of consequences that this young man will face. I have no idea why some are spared and some aren't but count yourselves blessed if you lived carelessly as a young adult and didn't cause this magnitude of grief for anyone. 

Perfectly stated, both of you. Count me as another lucky one. 

21 minutes ago, AUcivE09 said:

FWIW - I heard a guy on the radio say that they take a blood sample after the accident and then take samples over the course of a week. If there is a significant drop in the metabolites then it can be inferred that he was high at the time of the accident. I am not sure what qualifications "guy" has but it seems reasonable and why it took so long to determine if he was intoxicated.

I would imagine they have a reliable way to determine if that is a factor.   

I've done way dumber stuff than this kid and was fortunate to not get caught or hurt anyone.  I also have a 16 year old son at home so I hate it for this kid.  Not sure I agree with trying him as an adult, most 16yo kids are just that - kids.   and dumb.  I know I was.  All around a sad situation with no happy endings.

The sad thing about mj use is how it’s being legalized in so many states and how the proponents of this try to say it’s not as bad as alcohol. It’s potency today makes it just as dangerous, especially in young people with still developing brains and the long term effects it can have. People need to slow their role on legalization, and it’s consequences are becoming more obvious every day.

42 minutes ago, toddc said:

The sad thing about mj use is how it’s being legalized in so many states and how the proponents of this try to say it’s not as bad as alcohol. It’s potency today makes it just as dangerous, especially in young people with still developing brains and the long term effects it can have. People need to slow their role on legalization, and it’s consequences are becoming more obvious every day.

Even if mj was legal, this kid would have still broken the law on several fronts.  He would be too young to legally purchase or obtain, much like alcohol.  Even with mj being legal, people can still be charged with DWI.  And this is on top of his reckless speeding.

Point being, legalizing weed or not had no bearing on this kid being a dumb ass.

39 minutes ago, toddc said:

Favoring legalization doesn't mean you support someone driving with THC in their system just like people who drink aren't supporting those who choose to drive drunk.  

My point is that it’s getting easier for younger people to get it and that it’s more potent than ever. I’m saying we need to be up front about the negative consequences of making it easier to get. I didn’t say it had any bearing on this situation, but made a general statement! I also never said anything about people’s support of legalization supporters of driving intoxicated! I just think we’re on a slippery slope and need to be careful about legalization.

7 minutes ago, toddc said:

My point is that it’s getting easier for younger people to get it and that it’s more potent than ever. I’m saying we need to be up front about the negative consequences of making it easier to get. I didn’t say it had any bearing on this situation, but made a general statement! I also never said anything about people’s support of legalization supporters of driving intoxicated! I just think we’re on a slippery slope and need to be careful about legalization.

I honestly don't or think it would be easier to get if decriminalized. It was easier for me to buy weed than it was cigarettes when I was in high school. 

3 hours ago, The Freak said:

I've done way dumber stuff than this kid and was fortunate to not get caught or hurt anyone.  I also have a 16 year old son at home so I hate it for this kid.  Not sure I agree with trying him as an adult, most 16yo kids are just that - kids.   and dumb.  I know I was.  All around a sad situation with no happy endings.

We've all done dumb stuff, but this is different. There are dumb mistakes, and then there is driving 90 on a city street, which is borderline homicidal. Add in the influence of drugs and I absolutely think he should he should be tried as an adult. Accidents happen, but driving 90 while high is not an accident. There have to be consequences for this type of criminal recklessness. 

Archived