Rod and Paula Bramblett Killed in Car Accident

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

all other possibilities have been ruled out. What's your theory?

1. Going 80 to 90 when he fell asleep.

Or

2. Looking at phone, even if he wasn't messaging. They can prove read/sent times on messages, but idk how they can prove he wasn't looking at his phone.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I really don’t understand some folks logic so let me try to explain. If I hire a guy tomorrow that has no experience at the job, I would be pretty stupid to fire him on his first day for a mistake. So translated we have to start allowing folks to drive at some age so we decide on 16. So I sure don’t expect a 16 year old with less than 1 year driving to be as smart or capable of say a 25 year old that’s been driving for 9 years. So yes, I’m not going to judge the 16 year old under the same respect as the 25 year old. Why is that so complicated. We start students in school at six so if the wet their pants the first week should we send them to reform school? I bet the same folks that make this argument are the same ones telling their boss he shouldn’t be upset when they are late on getting a job completed. SMDH

I understand your logic completely, for a kid wetting their pants at school or making a mistake the first day on the job. But lives were lost here. Emotions are high. It changes everything. We all tend to self serve our interest in these cases. If one of my sons had done this same thing at 16, I would certainly be trying to keep them out of jail. It was a “youthful mistake”. If my parents were killed by a driver driving recklessly at 90 mph, I would be appalled if they didn’t serve time behind bars for it. It was “dangerous and selfish behavior”. There’s no easy answer on this one. It is tragic all around.

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I understand your logic completely, for a kid wetting their pants at school or making a mistake the first day on the job. But lives were lost here. Emotions are high. It changes everything. We all tend to self serve our interest in these cases. If one of my sons had done this same thing at 16, I would certainly be trying to keep them out of jail. It was a “youthful mistake”. If my parents were killed by a driver driving recklessly at 90 mph, I would be appalled if they didn’t serve time behind bars for it. It was “dangerous and selfish behavior”. There’s no easy answer on this one. It is tragic all around.

Great post. 

Life can be so cruel. 

7 hours ago, AUght2win said:

1. Going 80 to 90 when he fell asleep.

Or

2. Looking at phone, even if he wasn't messaging. They can prove read/sent times on messages, but idk how they can prove he wasn't looking at his phone.

Interesting.

This popped up on my local news yesterday....   I thought it was relevant.    Can CBD   make you fail a drug test?         https://www.thv11.com/article/news/verify/can-cbd-make-you-fail-a-drug-test-verify/91-685c7c32-d916-4bb1-947a-5220fd240cab

I think the “16 year old, inexperienced” explanation only works if it’s truly a situation where experience would help. Like say if you hydroplane and hit the brakes instead of just drift until the treads get traction again. That’s a rookie mistake that you learn from and get better at over time. That’s not anyone’s fault. Maverick and Goose getting stuck in a jet wash and crashing was no ones fault - it just happened and Mav didn’t have any chance of recovering. 

If, however, you’re knowingly speeding or driving recklessly, I’d say that anything that comes your way IS your fault because you should know better. Being 16 is no excuse for reckless behavior behind the wheel. If you’re not mentally competent enough to handle the responsibility of driving a car at high speeds, you should wait to drive until you get the concept of safety for yourself and others on the road. Granted, kids do stuff like this all the time and it’s not unique. That doesn’t make it okay just because it’s common. Dropping below the hard deck to get missile lock on Jester was a deliberate choice to break the rules and as Viper said, “those rules of engagement are there for your safety.” An accident could have occurred that might have cost lives and then, someone definitely would have been at fault.

and yes, Top Gun is one of my favorite movies, why do you ask?

On 7/9/2019 at 9:16 PM, Maverick.AU said:

People can feel how they want about the situation, but it’s like others have said before me, it is a bad situation all around. Surely, and rightfully so, more feel for the Bramblett family with the loss and how it impacts the children especially. You also have a teenagers life that is changed forever as well as his parents, who im sure are devastated, I know mine would be. You make certain decisions, there are consequences, but two families are devastated right now, and I’ll leave it at that.

Yes, a teenager whose life is changed forever due to his own stupidity and illegal acts.

Another family whose life was changed forever, who did nothing illegal, but were at the wrong place at the wrong time.

On 7/9/2019 at 9:25 PM, AUsince72 said:

Sorry, just due to the nature of your post, this made me LOL...

You’re correct; my bad. 🤓

18 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I really don’t understand some folks logic so let me try to explain. If I hire a guy tomorrow that has no experience at the job, I would be pretty stupid to fire him on his first day for a mistake. So translated we have to start allowing folks to drive at some age so we decide on 16. So I sure don’t expect a 16 year old with less than 1 year driving to be as smart or capable of say a 25 year old that’s been driving for 9 years. So yes, I’m not going to judge the 16 year old under the same respect as the 25 year old. Why is that so complicated. We start students in school at six so if the wet their pants the first week should we send them to reform school? I bet the same folks that make this argument are the same ones telling their boss he shouldn’t be upset when they are late on getting a job completed. SMDH

W should definetely let the perp off the hook but REMIND HIM he wet his pants big time on this one!

On 7/10/2019 at 3:54 PM, The Freak said:

Most states don't give 16 year olds an unrestricted license.  There are usually curfews and occupant restrictions.  I wonder why.

Neither one of those would apply if this had occurred in such a state. Whats your point? Common sense is optional as long as you follow the law?

On 7/10/2019 at 3:19 PM, bigbird said:

Yes, yes it is. I have done it...at 30 years old. 

You're view is yours and I respect it. However, from having done it, I can say with certainty that it is incorrect. 

Maybe he fell asleep..maybe he didn't

3 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Yes, a teenager whose life is changed forever due to his own stupidity and illegal acts.

Another family whose life was changed forever, who did nothing illegal, but were at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Didn’t I basically say this?

I think everybody here feels for the Bramblett’s and their children far more , as they should, and as do I .

16 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Neither one of those would apply if this had occurred in such a state. Whats your point? Common sense is optional as long as you follow the law?

The point is a 16 year isn't "adult" enough to have an unrestricted license.  So it stands to reason maybe they also shouldn't be tried as an adult when they screw up.

5 hours ago, ChltteTiger said:

W should definetely let the perp off the hook but REMIND HIM he wet his pants big time on this one!

I would highly doubt anyone would ever have to remind this young man of this mistake. I doubt a lot of you could live a normal life with what this young man will have to carry to his grave. Folks spend way to much time criticizing and demanding punishment as opposed to actually do what God wants you to do and that is to help these folks become better people in the future. As I said, nothing is going to change what happened so why ruin another life just so you can feel vindicated. I didn’t know the couple personally but I have heard him talk and I truely doubt that he would in any way look to persecute this young man, so why do you folks want that. I bet their children would rather spend their time honoring their parents as opposed of seeking an eye for an eye mentality of some posters on here. Maybe it’s time to look yourself in the mirror and decide who you really are.

We all need to see the best balance justice and grace have to offer in the outcome. The message that comes out of this must ideally lead to LESS of this, however that is accomplished given the flaws we and the systems we have created both have. I DO have connections and personal memories with both sides involved. I am curious, EagleEye7, what do you think SHOULD be the outcome given the gravity of the situation? What outcome could lead to less? Growing up in Auburn in the fishbowl is no easy task. Life for highschoolers with all that's accessible in a major university atmosphere is challenging. But I can tell you in my time there, I saw a fair amount of recklessness, some with a sense of entitlement, that didn't lead to less. With @Gowebb11 in the reality of no easy answers as I continue to pray for my first sentence to come to pass.

I have no idea what would be sufficient justice in this case but it is easier to make that distinction with a premeditated act than an accidental act, at least for me. @Eagle Eye 7 definitely struck a chord with me regarding mercy. Grace is getting what you don't deserve and mercy is not getting what you do deserve. I've received much grace in my life and when I think about the mercy I've been shown it humbles beyond what I could ever conceive. 

When Jesus was asked by the Pharisees about stoning the adulteress he knelt and wrote in the dirt with his finger and said he who is without sin, cast the first stone. Then one by one they left. We don't know what He wrote but the best guess I ever heard was that He started writing the names of the women that the Pharisees had been with. They saw this and knew they couldn't be so hypocritical when Jesus pointed this out. 

When I think about this and realize that it is through grace and only grace that I am not in the same situation as this young man it is frightening and sobering. That doesn't mean that I don't believe in some type of justice. I just hope that it is a justice that saves someone else from the fate of the Brambletts. 

14 hours ago, The Freak said:

The point is a 16 year isn't "adult" enough to have an unrestricted license.  So it stands to reason maybe they also shouldn't be tried as an adult when they screw up.

There are plenty of 16 year old drivers that do the right things.   If they follow the rules of the road most people are capable of being competent drivers.     When you drive faster than your ability to read the road conditions, other traffic, and play with your cell phone then you have problems.  He made an adult mistake and he should pay an adult price.    The rich kid getting off easy shtick is getting a little old in this country.  

1 hour ago, auskip07 said:

There are plenty of 16 year old drivers that do the right things.   If they follow the rules of the road most people are capable of being competent drivers.     When you drive faster than your ability to read the road conditions, other traffic, and play with your cell phone then you have problems.  He made an adult mistake and he should pay an adult price.    The rich kid getting off easy shtick is getting a little old in this country.  

So, you approve of double standards.  Nice.

15 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

All I can say Is I hope God has more mercy on you folks that can’t find mercy for this young man, because I can guarantee you will need it. 

I think we all feel for the kid. But mercy on the soul and mercy from the consequence of actions are two different things. Let's let the facts come in and hope for a just sentence.

32 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Let's let the facts come in and hope for a just sentence.

Facts like not chemically impaired or ones like no cell phone activity?

Accidents are called that for a reason. Some are more tragic than others.

15 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Why do we have/need vehicles that are capable of such high speeds?

To get places faster. 😁

Just now, bigbird said:

To get places faster. 😁

To keep up with the "Highway Joneses." 😁But seriously, too slows, too fasts... I've been both...each its own hazard...for self and others.

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

I think we all feel for the kid. But mercy on the soul and mercy from the consequence of actions are two different things. Let's let the facts come in and hope for a just sentence.

"Facts come in"...So true. ALL of the facts. Half of our thread centers around the little out there to be read and a lot being read into. That's just natural, because we care and want to be able to relate...or maybe we wish we couldn't. Adding prayers now for the jurors, should that be the route. 

Archived