Rod and Paula Bramblett Killed in Car Accident

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know how accident occurred?

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

there are no upsides to this tragedy but i have seen nine or ten pages of condolences on another site and so many fans of other teams have shown so much love it is amazing. bama,lsu,miss st, and others are showing so much class. it is a testament to what a super guy rod was............

Great people don’t have school colors! They are just who they are!

8 minutes ago, WarTim said:

I don't, Tim. I was wondering if it took place close to their home. I found their address through WhitePages,  because I grew up in Auburn and didn't recognize the name of the street or ZIP.  From the map, it looks very close to the mentioned intersection. It makes my heart hurt all the more. I am thinking that there will be funds and formal ways to help and reach out in the days to come. If it seems appropriate, I could post the address for mail to reach the children/extended family, but I'm caught wondering what is appropriate right now. The shock will not leave for a long time, but I am one who seems to always have to find a way to pray...AND DO SOMETHING. 

Sad to hear this news felt like a gut punch. My condolescense to the family.

1 hour ago, WarTim said:

What did happen? I only read they were rear ended? 

23 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

What did happen? I only read they were rear ended? 

Shug Jordan Parkway at the intersection of West Samford Avenue.

I don’t really want to speculate. I feel sure they are trying to keep details to a minimum, for the sake of the kids. I understand that and appreciate that.  That’s more important right now than my need to know.  I’m sure details will eventually come out, though. 

Been depressed today, sending thoughts and prayers out to everyone here today and the family. Just in an odd state right now. My mind just can’t process that this has happened. It just feels like it should all be just a bad dream. Ugh

1 hour ago, wde1968 said:

The area it took place wouldn't there have to be some speeding for that kind of damage?

From what I’ve been reading it’s saying the impact sent then into a utility pole. Just what’s being said.

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

From what I’ve been reading it’s saying the impact sent then into a utility pole. Just what’s being said.

That poor teenager. So sad.

The area it took place wouldn't there have to be some speeding for that kind of damage?

Something happened. Rumor that the kid fell asleep. Maybe not. Maybe he was texting...

It's probably best that I don’t found out. Already had 2 posts axed today.

Speculating only that kid was going over 80 mph to cause such a crash.

I remember when I was 16 my mom told me if you’re stopped and think you’re about to be rear ended, take your foot off the brake. I think that was more so to protect your vehicle. Don’t hear much about people dying from being rear ended unless being slung into traffic or off road.

Obviously the Bramblett’s didn’t have the luxury of knowing what was about to happen, but just throwing that advice out there.

Truly a sad situation. I have met very few 16 year old kids that are capable of safe driving skills in general. Unfortunately, this will continue to be a problem and more lives will be lost in the ugly process.

4 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Truly a sad situation. I have met very few 16 year old kids that are capable of safe driving skills in general. Unfortunately, this will continue to be a problem and more lives will be lost in the ugly process.

Cellphones made it worse, but hell, you see as many cops on their cellphones driving as regular drivers, given the ratio

From what I pieced from various articles, and one person that was at an apt complex near the scene, the collision had enough force to crumple the car they were in (a 2017 Highlander, I had read). Being where they were at, Id have to figure he/she was going 70+ easy 

Assumption part, just from driving that road so often and having also been rear-ended, Id bet my house the person was on a phone. The vantage point on the parkway is too clear to not see someone waiting for a turn, especially at 6. 

In any case, I really wish the Bramblett family the best. We're all worse off not having Rod on this planet anymore, his interview w Bryce after the UT game was one of the more touching moments I've been around for, sports or not. It's a tough situation for the whole state with Bart Starr also recently passing, hope everyone bands together 

Just now, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Assumption part, just from driving that road so often and having also been rear-ended, Id bet my house the person was on a phone. The vantage point on the parkway is too clear to not see someone waiting for a turn, especially at 6.  

It really is an “easy” intersection, you’re right. Auburn has some dangerous intersections but there at Shug/Samford is not one of them. I’ve tried all day not to join the speculation parade and focus my posts on the tragic loss of life, but it’s so difficult right now. There’s definitely some anger in my grief right now, but I keep telling myself speculation is not fact. And whatever ends up being the cause isn’t going to be able to be fixed, no matter what. Drove by there after lunch to see if there was a makeshift memorial or anything set up and there’s still some vehicle debris littering the side. It was a really eerie scene and I wish I hadn’t done it to be honest.

Hearing unsubstantiated reports that there might be a public funeral in the Arena. If there is, I’ll be there, but I hope it’s with full support of the family. Those kids are probably already so overwhelmed, I just want them to have the chance to mourn their parents how they wish, and if a large public spectacle puts extra anxiety on them, I’d be fine with a public memorial service at a later date 

Just now, SCTiger2011 said:

It really is an “easy” intersection, you’re right. Auburn has some dangerous intersections but there at Shug/Samford is not one of them. I’ve tried all day not to join the speculation parade and focus my posts on the tragic loss of life, but it’s so difficult right now. There’s definitely some anger in my grief right now, but I keep telling myself speculation is not fact. And whatever ends up being the cause isn’t going to be able to be fixed, no matter what. Drove by there after lunch to see if there was a makeshift memorial or anything set up and there’s still some vehicle debris littering the side. It was a really eerie scene and I wish I hadn’t done it to be honest.

Hearing unsubstantiated reports that there might be a public funeral in the Arena. If there is, I’ll be there, but I hope it’s with full support of the family. Those kids are probably already so overwhelmed, I just want them to have the chance to mourn their parents how they wish, and if a large public spectacle puts extra anxiety on them, I’d be fine with a public memorial service at a later date 

I’d def affiliate in the anger part of grief right now, so thank you for this SC

2 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Cellphones made it worse, but hell, you see as many cops on their cellphones driving as regular drivers, given the ratio

It is interesting in that the other day when my wife was driving me to chemo, I decided to count how many folks I saw talking on cell phones as well as texting. This was only a 34 mile trip from my home to Asheville, NC each way, and the number will get your attention quickly.  I saw 14 folks talking on their phones, and 7 that I am 99% certain were texting and driving. I thought for a moment of what would kill me sooner than the other, and texting or chemo.....texting won the day.

It 

7 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

It is interesting in that the other day when my wife was driving me to chemo, I decided to count how many folks I saw talking on cell phones as well as texting. This was only a 34 mile trip from my home to Asheville, NC each way, and the number will get your attention quickly.  I saw 14 folks talking on their phones, and 7 that I am 99% certain were texting and driving. I thought for a moment of what would kill me sooner than the other, and texting or chemo.....texting won the day.

It 

Love ya doc, given everything that’s going on right now, just wanted u to know that from me, sincerely 

Archived