Jeff Burger Feature

StatTiger

From 1972-1985, Auburn averaged slightly over 92 yards passing per game. After the 1985 season, Coach Pat Dye hired Pat Sullivan to coach the quarterbacks. Under Sullivan's guidance, Jeff Burger prospered into an All-SEC performer. He was a top-10 passer his senior year as he led Auburn to another SEC Championship season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDYA38X0Vw4

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 4

Always remember what Lewis Grizzard said about Burger ...”Kid gets in trouble for fighting and carrying a gun? THAT is who I want as MY QB !!!” 😎😎😎

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Haha 2

Some of my best Auburn football memories are from the two seasons with Burger at QB. Thanks for posting the video. I know it helped having Lawyer Tillman on the receiving end but Jeff's passes seemed to always be on the mark. He was steady and tough as nails. I still love his QB sneak against UT. Just trying to run out the clock but UT decided not to touch him down. Ever the competitor Burger sneaks in for the TD. Thanks Stat and thanks Jeff Burger for the memories. 

• Like 3

The Jeff Burger/Reggie Slack Era at AU was just awesome! One of the funniest things  was when PD benched Burger to start the game after his arrest at the bar. It lasted a grand total of one snap. 

Reggie was maybe our strongest qb ever. I remember watching a defender latching onto him and nearly bending him to the ground, only to see him stand back up with the defender still hanging on, and complete a pass. 

• Like 1

We were undefeated in November '87 going into the big home game against the one-loss Seminoles. Can anyone recount what went so wrong in that loss? Were they really that much better than us?

the mighty burger was my favorite qb at auburn. he threw a pretty pass. last i heard he was selling boxes out of rome ga. he keeps a black and white photo of himself in uniform and a mutual friend got me his autograph. i got to go to several of his games with my parents. my parents took me to a ton of games after i got out of the military. my mom would sneak in miniatures into the games in her purse and we would get nice and toasty together while my stepdad was the designated driver and missed out lol. those were some of the best memories i have.bo, burger and many others were so much fun  to watch.

ever consider terry henley stat? he was a great runner and a born comedian. anyway thanx so much for these video's.

stat i just saw your picture ans subscribed to you on youtube. keep the video's coming.

4 hours ago, ChltteTiger said:

We were undefeated in November '87 going into the big home game against the one-loss Seminoles. Can anyone recount what went so wrong in that loss? Were they really that much better than us?

Turnovers killed us that day.

• Like 2

I actually met Jeff after his senior year at AU through a cousin of mine he dated. He hunted on our place that season and my wife and I accompanied he and my cousin to the Senior Bowl he played in. Afterwards we went bowling. Jeff was just like we were, respectful but fearless country folks. Shot a little pool and did some 4-wheeling also.

Good guy.

• Like 3

I remember that pass to Tray G on fourth down I believe it was ?Against Alabama in 86 that had to be one of the most clutch pass play I have ever seen a Auburn QB make! 

Edited by eagle12
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, eagle12 said:

I remember that pass to Tray G on fourth down I believe it was ? Against   Alabama in 86 that had to be one of the most clutch pass play I have ever seen a Auburn QB make! 

I can pretty much replay that entire drive in my mind. I wore my VCR out watching that over and over. Fullwood and Agee had a couple of big runs that set up the field position for the reverse. It was an incredible win. I miss Keith Jackson calling games. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I can pretty much replay that entire drive in my mind. I wore my VCR out watching that over and over. Fullwood and Agee had a couple of big runs that set up the field position for the reverse. It was an incredible win. I miss Keith Jackson calling games. 

Yeah I have only seen it replayed once on a classic replay tv program . But I have never forgot that game! I was definitely on the edge of my seat when watching it live ! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I was in Legion Field as a student that day. Student section was rocking most of that game. Damn, I loved me some Fullwood and Tillman back in the day.....

• Like 2
  • Love 1

My favorite Jeff Burger play was from the 1986 Tennessee game. The year prior, Tennessee beat Auburn pretty badly in Knoxville. We were out for revenge, and were beating UTK handily. We drove down to the Tennessee 1-yard line with only a few seconds remaining. Burger's roommate, Stacy Searles, said something like "If you take a knee, I will beat your butt" to Burger in the huddle. Burger took the snap, and did not take a knee. Instead he kind of shuffled around just behind the line. UTK's defense just stopped, perhaps thinking Burger had taken a knee. Searles could be seen pointing to the endzone and yelling at Burger. There was a giant hole in the line, and Burger sprinted in the endzone for another touchdown. Pat Dye was not pleased.

• Haha 1

On 5/30/2019 at 9:01 AM, ChltteTiger said:

Coming off an emotional stomping of the Gators ( remember the heartbreaking loss in Gainesville in '86, when we were up 17-0 but ended up losing 18-17... ) and right in the midst of Amen corner, it was just one of those games. 

And then Tracy Rocker, unbelievably still in the game late, for absolutely no reason at all , gets his knee injured and is done for the year. Think he'd have had some impact in that Syracuse game, but oh well. 

Edited by AURaptor

3 hours ago, meh130 said:

My favorite Jeff Burger play was from the 1986 Tennessee game. The year prior, Tennessee beat Auburn pretty badly in Knoxville. We were out for revenge, and were beating UTK handily. We drove down to the Tennessee 1-yard line with only a few seconds remaining. Burger's roommate, Stacy Searles, said something like "If you take a knee, I will beat your butt" to Burger in the huddle. Burger took the snap, and did not take a knee. Instead he kind of shuffled around just behind the line. UTK's defense just stopped, perhaps thinking Burger had taken a knee. Searles could be seen pointing to the endzone and yelling at Burger. There was a giant hole in the line, and Burger sprinted in the endzone for another touchdown. Pat Dye was not pleased.

Lol! I was there! Can still see it. Burger walked back toward the sideline shrugging like someone was chewing him out...😂

On 5/29/2019 at 10:11 PM, StatTiger said:

From 1972-1985, Auburn averaged slightly over 92 yards passing per game. After the 1985 season, Coach Pat Dye hired Pat Sullivan to coach the quarterbacks. Under Sullivan's guidance, Jeff Burger prospered into an All-SEC performer. He was a top-10 passer his senior year as he led Auburn to another SEC Championship season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDYA38X0Vw4

Damn, what a trip down memory lane. Brought a mist in my eyes.

And never underestimate the quality of QB coach Pat Sullivan was.

Edited by Swamp Eagle