Sign in to follow this  
tigerbrotha12

2020 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

Star rankings are based on 247 composite. Postions grouped by where AU is recruiting player.

Commits

image.png

5* PG SHARIFE COOPER - 6’0, 160 lbs (McEachern HS, Marietta, GA)          HHighlights    P247 Profile

PG list truly begins and ends with Sharife, and anything short of landing him would be a disappointment for the fanbase as well as the coaching staff. He is the perfect PG to run Pearl's scheme and is an extraordinary leader and playmaker.

image.png

3* SG JUSTIN POWELL - 6'5, 180 lbs   (North Oldham HS, Gosham, KY)   H: Highlights   P: 247 Profile

Potentially the best shooter in this class. Powell has better than advertised athleticism, & is someone who could really blossom under Pearl's tutelage.

TARGETS

PG - DONE

Total needed in class: 1

Commits: 1

__________________________________________________________________________________

4* Jamal Mashburn Jr. -  (AU offered 8/13/19.... UK legacy)

3* K.D. Johnson -  (2 unofficial visits including 6/2/2018....AU listed in top 5 schools on 7/21/19)

- Should we not land Cooper, KD Johnson is the prospect Auburn is most likely to focus on. KD is no slouch & his game & raw athleticism is reminiscent of former Auburn Tiger & current Baylor Bear Davion Mitchell. While not landing Cooper would no doubt be a disappointment, should we land KD that would absolutely help cushion the blow, and it's not out of the question that Johnson could be the better long term prospect. The lead recruiter here is Wes Flanigan, & while he has done a very good job hereit's likely KD will land at either Georgia Tech or UGA at this time.

4* Deivon Smith

- He has flown under the radar of national analysts & fans alike until a breakout spring & summer on the Adidas Gauntlet AAU circuit where he averaged 14.8 points, 4.1 assists, & 5.9 rebounds a game. Smith's end to end speed is truly elite, and it's the one asset that sets him apart from a lot of his contemporaries. While the coaching staff has laid some nice ground work here, it's likely that Smith lands at Louisville or NC State as of today.

3* Mike Miles -  (AU offered August 2019 and is in top 5)

- Big bodied point guard that could also be a combo guard in Pearl's system. More of a scorer at this point than a facilitator, Miles is excellent at getting to the rack & has an uncanny ability to finish through contact. While Auburn recently made Miles's top 5, its safe to say that this prospect is not likely to land at Auburn & will probably commit & sign with TCU in the early signing period. While this is the case today, should we miss on Cooper then us turning up the heat on Miles is not completely out of the question.

____________________________________________________________________________________

SG/CG 

Total Class Needs: 2

Commits: 1

5* Jalen Green - (Highest rated prospect on AU's radar....AU has offered....Auburn in top 5.... Will visit AU 9/26/19 - 9/29/19)

- Once in a generation type athlete & is no question at the top of our list when is comes to landing a second SG in this class. His athleticism literally jumps off the screen, but it's his ability to make plays in ball screen action as well as his ability to make plays for his teammates that truly makes him elite. We are likely running 3rd behind Oregon & Memphis right now, who can be seen as a cross between a young Penny Hardaway & Tracy McGrady. We've got a chance to make a major move on his OV in 2 weeks & all hands will be on deck to recruit Green (including Sharief Cooper). Certainly one recruitment to watch moving forward.

5* Cam Thomas - (AU offered in May 2019.....AU in top 7..... Will visit AU 9/27/19)

- Excellent scoring two guard that has never seen a shot he doesn't like, and that's probably a good thing as he definitely makes more shots than he misses. While Thomas has more size & is likely a better athlete, his game and mentality is very reminiscent of Kareem Canty, a guy who just believes he can make any shot & has that scorers swag to him. Thomas is another prospect that will visit soon, & if AU decides to push we may have a better than average chance. While this feels like a LSU/NC State battle, It'll be interesting to see what our chances are coming out of his upcoming OV.

4* Matthew Murrell - (AU offered - will visit 9/14/19..... AU believed to be making a move)

- Murrell is tailor made for Pearl's system. Murrell is a powerfully built 6'4 190 pound plus athlete that gets to the rim with ease & has one of the purest shooting strokes seen this spring and summer. Vandy has been the odds on favorite from the beginning from a national perspective, Wes Flanigan has been a dog in this recruitment & there is cautious optimism that Murrell will choose AU in the end.

4* Jayden Stone -  (OV 6/8/19)

- Talented player that is a pure combo guard who is better at creating plays for himself than his teammates at this stage in his career. While Stone had a mediocre to poor showing on the AAU circuit this spring & summer, he's still a talented prospect that AU is evaluating, & should we miss on our top 3 of Green, Thomas, and Murrell, then Stone could find himself the focus of AU's attention for our second 2 guard spot in this class.

3* Detrick Reeves Jr. -  (AU offered 7/29/19)

2* Jalen Myers -  (AU offered 7/19/19..... Could see a ratings jump if he continues to pick up offers like Auburn)

_________________________________________________________________________________

Wing - (AU took 3 Wings in 2019 class & will not take a Wing in this class)

_________________________________________________________________________________

PF 

Total Class needs: 1 Forward/Stretch 4

Commits: 0

5* Greg Brown - (1 Unofficial visit, 6/5/2019......  AU in top 5....... Will officially visit AU over Iron Bowl weekend 11/30/19)

- This freak athlete is the #1 target at the 4 position in this class. Brown has the ability to guard 2-5 on the floor, runs like a deer, & has elite off the ball shot blocking ability. While his shooting (especially from three) is still a work in progress, Brown's ability to finish in transition & at the rim in traffic is absolutely elite. UNC & Texas still likely have the advantage here right now, however Auburn/Kentucky/Memphis are not going away & all 3 have a chance to gain some momentum in Brown's recruitment with OVs on the horizon. This is one recruitment appears to be way too uncertain to call at this time.

4* Chris Moore (OV 2/13/2019)

- Moore is the epitome of hustle & effort. No one plays harder & more physical, though his lack of size could be an issue on the next level. However at only 6'6 Moore out plays guys with much more size often, & his ability to step out & shoot the 3 makes him an extremely tough cover. Wes Flanigan is the lead recruiter & has done a great job of making sure that Moore is keeping AU in his top group of schools. With Auburn hoping to land either Brown or Brakefield, it's likely that Moore ends up at in state Arkansas. Should our stance with Brakefield & Brown change, us ramping up attention in Moore's recruitment is not out of the question.

3* Rongie Gordon (2 unofficial visits 6/2/2018 and 6/1/2019..... BCW visitor)

- Gordon had an excellent spring & summer on the AAU Under Armor Circuit, & is the definition of blue collar. While he is excellent playing around the rim and finishing in transition, his improvement in handling the ball & shooting from three is what has really caught college coaching staffs by surprise. Should we miss on Brakefield, Gordon is a dark horse candidate to land in the class.

C

Total Class Needs: 1

Commits: 0

4* Cliff Omoruyi -  (AU offer - Arizona State been getting a lot of pub lately... hopefully we can hold off the talk and close in on him)

- Dominates through extremely impressive strength & physicality. While he is only an at the rim scorer right now, offense is not Omoruyi's game. He instead controls the paint with his athleticism, rebounding, & shot blocking prowess, plus is an elite finisher at the rim when he gets his chances. Omoruyi is raw but very talented. If he ever puts it all together he could really excel at the next level. Ira Bowman has really worked hard on this recruitment but Memphis has gotten involved & they are hot on the recruiting trail right now.

4* Jaylin Williams -  (AU offer... AU in top 7 on 9/4/19.... Will visit AU 10/26/19 for Ole Miss game)

- Another Wes Flanigan target. Williams had a really good spring & summer on the AAU circuit which caught a lot of college coaching staffs' attention. Williams is an inside & outside scoring threat that rebounds as well as any big man in this class. Williams runs the floor well & has above average athleticism, and should AU miss on its top target (Cliff) then it would absolutely be pleased to land Williams if he were still available. That may not be the case, as Williams likely lands at Okie St or Arkansas soon.

3* Akeem Odusipe -  (AU offer)

3* Ebenezer Dowuona (UV 3/9/2019)

Edited by tigerbrotha12
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

I don’t know why I let these articles get my hopes up. No way we can sign 4 5* players in one class. Is there? 

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

I don’t know why I let these articles get my hopes up. No way we can sign 4 5* players in one class. Is there? 

Crystal Ball doesnt have us in the final 2 for the 2nd-4th prospects, so not likely. If we could get one to flip, Id probably pick Brown though. He fits the system well and gives you some Okeke esque physical potential 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gravejd said:

Very unlikely. But that's not exclusively what this is about IMO. The fact that we are hosting this type of talent at all and look to be doing so in the near future means we will start getting more of these caliber of players. We don't need to stack 4 5* players in one class for us to be good but the fact we're being considered, especially when you think about how good Bruce is at finding and developing talent, if we start picking up any number of these elite prospects with how we've been recruiting and coaching up it's going to be reallllly fun watching our program.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, gravejd said:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

NEVER LEAVE US BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE!!!!!!!!!!! I DO NOT WANT THIS TO EVER END!!!!!!!!!

ruc.gif

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Hoooboy that’s 😎!

That is a ridiculous amount of talent on the plains this weekend!!!!!   I LOVE seeing that!!!!  Bruce has our program on a completely different level than ever before!!!!

• Love 1

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

That combined with Leath's earlier announcement that Auburn will be a basketball school going forward...well it's gotta be a good sign right? I mean we're not spending money on football right now. :brickwall:

Edited by gr82be
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

That combined with Leath's earlier announcement that Auburn will be a basketball school going forward...well it's gotta be a good sign right? I mean we're not spending money on football right now. :brickwall:

dule.gif

I rather embrace basketball honestly. Let the football dramedy reach its pinnacle whenever it’s ready. As long as Bama and Clemson are the Apple/Disney of football, it doesn’t matter much anyway 

Make an empire on this side and revisit the competition once Nick’s age starts kicking his ass, along with Trevor Lawrence, a few more times 

• Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

Don’t know this- just a hunch- but I’m getting really curious to see if Cooper will commit this weekend. We officially know Harper is staying in the draft for sure and the fact he is here for Big Cat... it just would make sense 

• Like 1

Hopefully Cooper commits soon. Not just because he’s a handsome stud player, but also because he’s a leader and the type of dude that’ll help bring other studs into the class. Get him locked in and get him working for us please 

• Haha 1

Everyone wants to play with Cooper. He seems to like to take it very slow when it comes to committing though. Hope I am wrong. If he does push the button I would expect the floodgates to open on 5 stars if we had the open spots.

12 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I rather embrace basketball honestly. Let the football dramedy reach its pinnacle whenever it’s ready. As long as Bama and Clemson are the Apple/Disney of football, it doesn’t matter much anyway 

Make an empire on this side and revisit the competition once Nick’s age starts kicking his ass, along with Trevor Lawrence, a few more times 

funny, but has some truth in it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Everyone wants to play with Cooper. He seems to like to take it very slow when it comes to committing though. Hope I am wrong. If he does push the button I would expect the floodgates to open on 5 stars if we had the open spots.

What makes you say everybody wants to play with him?

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

What makes you say everybody wants to play with him?

For me if we get him we have a decent shot to get Boston. If we do not get Coop we have no shot with Boston. If Coop was not highly considering AU I doubt Boston would be making these visits to AU. He is the alpha. The guy everyone gravitates too.