2020 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

Coach Pearl on the early signees...

Star rankings are based on 247 composite. Positions grouped by where AU is recruiting player.

Commits (Signed)

image.png 

5* PG SHARIFE COOPER - 6’0, 160 lbs (McEachern HS, Marietta, GA)          HHighlights    P247 Profile         (#21 Overall,   #4 PG,     #2 GA)

PG list truly begins and ends with Sharife. He is the perfect PG to run Pearl's scheme and is an extraordinary leader and playmaker. Is currently Auburn's highest ranked signee ever, and has been an extraordinary recruiter himself. Absolutely everything AU needed in a PG signee.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

image.png

4* PF/C JT THOR - 6'8, 190lbs  (Norcross HS, Norcross, GA)   H: Highlights     P: 247 Profile   (#50 Overall,       #8 PF,       #3 GA)

Auburn has its big man for the 2020 class. Thor was a top 10 5* player in the 2021 class before reclassifying to 2020. With him, Auburn gets a physical rebounding a shot blocking presence with an ability to create for himself and shoot the three. Likely an NBA draft prospect in a few years, Thor is a big time get for the Tigers, and has said that he and Sharife Cooper have incredible chemistry when they've played pickup together. It is rumored that Thor is now 6'10 and a little over 200 lbs but there's no confirmation on that as of now. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

image.png

3* PF CHRIS MOORE - 6'7, 220lbs  (West Memphis HS, West Memphis, AK)   H: Highlights     P: 247 Profile    (#127 Overall,       #27 PF,       #3 AK)

- 4* and top 100 player according to 247. Composite is lower due to espn's 3* ranking (comparatively, is an extremely low rank according to 247 and Rivals who both have him at around 100) . He's about the highest rated 3 star you can get. Moore is the epitome of hustle & effort. No one plays harder & more physical, though his lack of size could be an issue on the next level. However at only 6'6 Moore out plays guys with much more size often, & his ability to step out & shoot the 3 makes him an extremely tough cover.

image.png

3* C DYLAN CARDWELL - 6'10, 220 lbs   (North Oldham HS, Gosham, KY)   H: Highlights   P: 247 Profile    (#151 Overall,     #25 C,     #12 GA)

Cardwell was offered late by Auburn, but many believe he will have been an all star collegiate player when his time at Auburn comes to an end. He attended Oak Hill High School, and talent factory for D1 basketball players, and transferred to McEachern, where he was held out for his senior season due to eligibility issues with the Georgia High School Athletic Association. As a late addition to the class, Auburn may well have gotten a steal here. Cardwell has moved his way into the top 150 and is considered a 4-star recruit by Rivals. The 247 composite rankings list him with a recruit score of 0.9213, a score very close to that of most 4-stars. Cardwell may be a little bit of an offensive project, but his rim protecting skills, rebounding, and ability to run the floor with a smaller lineup cannot be questioned. He will fit right into a high-flying, gas-guzzling Bruce Pearl lineup. 

image.png

3* SG JUSTIN POWELL - 6'5, 180 lbs   (North Oldham HS, Gosham, KY)   H: Highlights   P: 247 Profile     (#166 Overall,     #29 SG,     #3 KY)

Potentially the best shooter in this class. Powell has better than advertised athleticism, & is someone who could really blossom under Pearl's tutelage.

TARGETS

__________________________________________________________________________________

PG - Done

Total needed in class: 1

Commits: 1

5* Sharife Cooper - SIGNED

____________________________________________________________________________________

SG/CG 

Total Class Needs: 2

3* Justin Powell  - SIGNED

3* Detrick Reeves Jr. -  (AU offered 7/29/19)

2* Jalen Myers -  (AU offered 7/19/19..... Could see a ratings jump if he continues to pick up offers like Auburn)

_________________________________________________________________________________

Wing - (AU took 3 Wings in 2019 class & will not take a Wing in this class)

_________________________________________________________________________________

SF 

Total Class needs: 0-1 

Commits: 0

5* Jonathan Kuminga - (AU has offered.... Duke is probably the biggest threat) --> Possibly the best athlete and most gifted player in the 2021 class will most likely be reclassifying to the 2020 class at some point this Summer. The Tigers are very in much in his recruitment, and he has hinted at a top 5 coming out very soon. Auburn expects to know a decision on hi reclassification in June. With AU missing on Green and Brown, Kuminga would be a consolation prize fit for a king. He is a LeBron James type of player that is physical and tough, but can use his power to move towards the basket off the dribble. His shot is good, not great, but good, and he is a very good defender. He would be a one-and-done player, and having him along with Cooper and the gang next season would make AU an instant title contender. 

3* Keondre Montgomery - (AU has offered) --> Guy is in the same boat as Chris Moore as he's a 3 star composite, but a 4* according to 247. With AU's miss on Jalen Green, they could look to add Montgomery as another body. If AU were to miss on Kuminga, Keondre would be a really nice consolation prize as he's built to compete in the SEC at 6'6, 190 lbs. His game reminds me of what I think Allen Flanigan is trying to do, but he seems much more controlled and willing to share the ball on the drive. Shoots from his chest a little, but creates well and has a pretty good feel for the open man. 

3* Nate Tabor - (AU has offered) --> Yet another composite 3*, but a 4* by 247. Tabor was committed to St. Johns, but decommitted in April 2019. At 6'5, 202 lbs, he's decent size, but probably will need to put on a few pounds before he's ready for SEC ball. Still, he's a good talent with a nice shot, and an ability to drive and finish at the rim.

PF  - Done

Total Class needs: 1 Forward/Stretch 4

Commits: 2

4* JT Thor - SIGNED

3* Chris Moore - SIGNED

Done

Total Class Needs: 1

5* Makur Maker - Has been rumored as likely to go pro, but has expressed interest in Auburn if not. Probably a battle between Auburn and Oregon. To the best of my knowledge, Auburn has not officially offered yet. Maker has been ruled eligible for the draft but still has not declared...

3* Dylan Cardwell —> SIGNED

Edited by tigerbrotha12
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

I don’t know why I let these articles get my hopes up. No way we can sign 4 5* players in one class. Is there? 

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

I don’t know why I let these articles get my hopes up. No way we can sign 4 5* players in one class. Is there? 

Crystal Ball doesnt have us in the final 2 for the 2nd-4th prospects, so not likely. If we could get one to flip, Id probably pick Brown though. He fits the system well and gives you some Okeke esque physical potential 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gravejd said:

Very unlikely. But that's not exclusively what this is about IMO. The fact that we are hosting this type of talent at all and look to be doing so in the near future means we will start getting more of these caliber of players. We don't need to stack 4 5* players in one class for us to be good but the fact we're being considered, especially when you think about how good Bruce is at finding and developing talent, if we start picking up any number of these elite prospects with how we've been recruiting and coaching up it's going to be reallllly fun watching our program.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

NEVER LEAVE US BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE!!!!!!!!!!! I DO NOT WANT THIS TO EVER END!!!!!!!!!

ruc.gif

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Hoooboy that’s 😎!

That is a ridiculous amount of talent on the plains this weekend!!!!!   I LOVE seeing that!!!!  Bruce has our program on a completely different level than ever before!!!!

• Love 1

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

That combined with Leath's earlier announcement that Auburn will be a basketball school going forward...well it's gotta be a good sign right? I mean we're not spending money on football right now. :brickwall:

Edited by gr82be
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

That combined with Leath's earlier announcement that Auburn will be a basketball school going forward...well it's gotta be a good sign right? I mean we're not spending money on football right now. :brickwall:

dule.gif

I rather embrace basketball honestly. Let the football dramedy reach its pinnacle whenever it’s ready. As long as Bama and Clemson are the Apple/Disney of football, it doesn’t matter much anyway 

Make an empire on this side and revisit the competition once Nick’s age starts kicking his ass, along with Trevor Lawrence, a few more times 

• Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

Don’t know this- just a hunch- but I’m getting really curious to see if Cooper will commit this weekend. We officially know Harper is staying in the draft for sure and the fact he is here for Big Cat... it just would make sense 

• Like 1

Hopefully Cooper commits soon. Not just because he’s a handsome stud player, but also because he’s a leader and the type of dude that’ll help bring other studs into the class. Get him locked in and get him working for us please 

• Haha 1

Everyone wants to play with Cooper. He seems to like to take it very slow when it comes to committing though. Hope I am wrong. If he does push the button I would expect the floodgates to open on 5 stars if we had the open spots.

12 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I rather embrace basketball honestly. Let the football dramedy reach its pinnacle whenever it’s ready. As long as Bama and Clemson are the Apple/Disney of football, it doesn’t matter much anyway 

Make an empire on this side and revisit the competition once Nick’s age starts kicking his ass, along with Trevor Lawrence, a few more times 

funny, but has some truth in it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Everyone wants to play with Cooper. He seems to like to take it very slow when it comes to committing though. Hope I am wrong. If he does push the button I would expect the floodgates to open on 5 stars if we had the open spots.

What makes you say everybody wants to play with him?

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

What makes you say everybody wants to play with him?

For me if we get him we have a decent shot to get Boston. If we do not get Coop we have no shot with Boston. If Coop was not highly considering AU I doubt Boston would be making these visits to AU. He is the alpha. The guy everyone gravitates too.