2020 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

On 10/7/2019 at 11:51 AM, tigerbrotha12 said:

For those who missed it, Jaemyn Brakefield was offered by Duke over the weekend and essentially committed on the spot. 

He's been removed from the OP - need to really turn it up on Greg Brown/Chris Moore now

Wow. The Blue Bloods still have the IT factor bigtime.

I'm hoping one day we can get a real this guy is the best player hands down on the class. Then one day if we get him we use him correctly on the big stage.....then we can be legit. Somebody like Mikey Williams or Emoni Bates in the future. That's the only way you make the ultimate big step being on top of recruiting

• Like 2

From an interview recently w CBP, he made a comment about recruiting these kids for 3 years and the big schools do it for 3 weeks and get them.  He seemed legit disappointed ... m assumption was he was referring to brake field.  Gave me the impression CBP thought we were in great shape then poof.  Cruitin against the blue bloods is a tough game.  Maybe I over read his comments.

Even if we don't get the top shelf can't miss NBA prospects I think we are going to be just fine. Bruce knows what he's doing and has an incredibly keen eye for what will work in his system even if nobody else sees value in a particular guy. But boy I love being in on these elite recruits. I can't wait to see us continue this trajectory we are on

Edited by Tiger
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Yep

not to mention, in general the lesser rated guys will be around a couple years and that is more fun as a fan when they succeed.

It is WAY more fun to win with these guys.

My preference is mostly really really good players who stay 3-4 years and become great teams with a chance to win the big dance but I wouldn't mind a one and done every now and then to join the nucleus of  really good players.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Yep

not to mention, in general the lesser rated guys will be around a couple years and that is more fun as a fan when they succeed.

Not a bad plan to stock the shelves with good players who will be around several years and not have to rebuild the starting line-up every year. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2019 at 3:40 PM, mustache eagle said:

From an interview recently w CBP, he made a comment about recruiting these kids for 3 years and the big schools do it for 3 weeks and get them.  He seemed legit disappointed ... m assumption was he was referring to brake field.  Gave me the impression CBP thought we were in great shape then poof.  Cruitin against the blue bloods is a tough game.  Maybe I over read his comments.

You probably did, what with him having recruited high guys before this season and (obv) getting rejected for the most. I guess this'd be different with these recruits actually letting him in the door versus not even answering him back when Auburn wasn't very exciting. This would hurt individuals involved more than before. I still think BP has far too much experience in the system for this to hurt him long term though

• Like 2

It is tough to see how many guys we've gotten close to, just to lose out to a UNC or Duke, this recruiting cycle. But that also goes to show how much more progress we need to make. Alot of us fans are just happy to be here, but this should give the coaching staff and powers that be more evidence they must keep pushing up

On 10/7/2019 at 10:26 PM, Tiger720 said:

Why are they not going hard after Rongie Gordon? I feel like he is as good as Brakefield.

Because the staff appeared to like Brakefield better & appears to like Chris Morris better than Gordon.

On 10/14/2019 at 8:25 AM, cole256 said:

I'm hoping one day we can get a real this guy is the best player hands down on the class. Then one day if we get him we use him correctly on the big stage.....then we can be legit. Somebody like Mikey Williams or Emoni Bates in the future. That's the only way you make the ultimate big step being on top of recruiting

@cole256 can Sharife be that guy for us?

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@cole256 can Sharife be that guy for us?

I don't think he's that good, when I say that I'm talking sort of Bo big like, he's good but I don't think as hyped good. clearly he's good but I don't think he's lottery pick good. But maybe I'm wrong, I wish I could see more film on him against people that are really good.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I don't think he's that good, when I say that I'm talking sort of Bo big like, he's good but I don't think as hyped good. clearly he's good but I don't think he's lottery pick good. But maybe I'm wrong, I wish I could see more film on him against people that are really good.

There has to be more film on Cooper playing against great competition, somewhere. His HS team in GA was ranked #1 in the country and played several nationally ranked teams. Plus, Cooper's travel team played all over the country against very good competition. 

Just now, JFDTiger80 said:

There has to be more film on Cooper playing against great competition, somewhere. His HS team in GA was ranked #1 in the country and played several nationally ranked teams. Plus, Cooper's travel team played all over the country against very good competition. 

Don't think his team was number 1 in the country but I saw him play with his summer league team but within that team he takes all the shots and things like that and that's not how he will play in college.....at least I don't think as far as taking that many shots and stuff but we'll see

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Don't think his team was number 1 in the country but I saw him play with his summer league team but within that team he takes all the shots and things like that and that's not how he will play in college.....at least I don't think as far as taking that many shots and stuff but we'll see

Cole, His HS was ranked #1 in both MaxPreps and USAToday polls until the final rankings. IMG Academy played in a national tournament at the end of the season and Cooper's HS opted not to play in it because of scheduling issues. IMG won the tournament and jumped McEachern for the top spot. They ended the year #2.

DIllon Hunter a 2022 Shooting Guard out of Westlake HS in Atlanta was offered by Auburn. He has a national ranking of #28 on Rivals right now. 

Edited by JFDTiger80
spelling issue

9 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Cole, His HS was ranked #1 in both MaxPreps and USAToday polls until the final rankings. IMG Academy played in a national tournament at the end of the season and Cooper's HS opted not to play in it because of scheduling issues. IMG won the tournament and jumped McEachern for the top spot. They ended the year #2.

Well that's why I said it because I knew img was number 1 and spire but it's different classifications and things of that nature but anyway it go my opinion is mine and I was asked about #1 future franchise player and I don't see him like that but maybe seeing him in college maybe I can see it. Right now as far as his physical skill sets I think his ball handling and maybe passing is his best attributes but I don't think he's the best at doing what he do in the last few classes

58 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Well that's why I said it because I knew img was number 1 and spire but it's different classifications and things of that nature but anyway it go my opinion is mine and I was asked about #1 future franchise player and I don't see him like that but maybe seeing him in college maybe I can see it. Right now as far as his physical skill sets I think his ball handling and maybe passing is his best attributes but I don't think he's the best at doing what he do in the last few classes

Let's hope you are wrong on this one. Either way, he is certainly one of the highest level recruits to ever commit to Auburn. Let's hope he can help bring in some others that we feel may be game changers for us and place us in the inner circle of college Bball. 

3 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Let's hope you are wrong on this one. Either way, he is certainly one of the highest level recruits to ever commit to Auburn. Let's hope he can help bring in some others that we feel may be game changers for us and place us in the inner circle of college Bball. 

Like I stated not saying he's not good but I don't think he'll be considered a top 3 pick. He can do all that and not be a franchise player in the NBA. I'm not saying he sucks or anything

I have watched film on Sharife and he is very good which Cole also says. The question really is whether he is a one and done type. Like Cole what I see I am impressed with but Like Cole I am not sure if he is a one and done type player. Partly because of his size.  I could be wrong but to be honest I am hoping he is just below that status and we keep him for 2-3 years.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I have watched film on Sharife and he is very good which Cole also says. The question really is whether he is a one and done type. Like Cole what I see I am impressed with but Like Cole I am not sure if he is a one and done type player. Partly because of his size.  I could be wrong but to be honest I am hoping he is just below that status and we keep him for 2-3 years.

On one hand, I want him to be a one-and-done level talent, because that means big things for the team in 2020-2021.

On the other, however, I hope he's at the highest level he can be without wanting to enter the draft the next season. I really want to see Coop, Okoro, Stretch, and Cambridge play with each other in college. 

Whatever happens, I hope Sharife Cooper is the number one player in the NBA in the 2024-2025 season. 

• Like 1

Guys his height are rarely 1 and done IMO. Those type of players usually have elite size. I think he's going to be a hell of a player for us but I'm expecting his freshman season to have some growing pains just based on his size and strength alone. I don't see him as a one and done either tbh. The one and dones usually don't have to put tons of production on film just moreso show bits of potential paired with their size and skill and IMO to offset questions about his stature he will have to have a fantastic season statistically. JMO.

But I also would've confidently bet that Harper was going to be a 4 year player and Heron wouldn't have been in school for 4 years soo... 

• Thanks 1

On 10/15/2019 at 12:37 PM, mustache eagle said:

Yep

That's the problem. Not WHEN, but IF they succeed. Getting lesser rated guys is a 40/60 proposition as to whether they become an elite college player.

I think we always need one stud inside scorer/rebounder and one stud PG/SG. then fill in with the other positions. But it is nice to see guys under the radar turn into All-star players in the SEC.

Bruce and an assistant went out to Napa yesterday to see Jalen Green. Per some insiders of a couple other boards, we're not out of it, and are really pressing to get him. Apparently Sharife has been on him too...