2020 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

52 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Yes we need some easier games to get the young guys in there. Hoping that can start with the game on Friday against CSU. 

I also saw in an article where Turbo may be better suited as a 2 guard instead of being a pure PG type. I don't recall any justification for that statement in the article so i'd be curious if anyone with more insight into the players can confirm or deny that. The HS highlights that we get to see of these kids just don't give enough info for me to have an opinion on what he is best suited for. 

The article your talking about is quoting Bruce Pearl direclty from preseason interviews. Auburn recruitied Turbo as a 2 guard before they knew Jared was leaving his junior year. Turbo was actually supposed to be Bryce's replacement but kinda got forced into a backup PG role, which is fine cause we'll need him for the next 3-4 years to play that position for us in limited minutes. Hopefully he gets some good experience this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Any insight into frontcourt targets if we miss on Moore, Williams and Brown? (I’m not writing off our chances, but Auburn is not favored for any of the three.) I haven’t seen much on us recruiting any backup plans - seems like we were confident in landing Kessler and/or Brakefield. 

1 hour ago, Dunndone414 said:

Any insight into frontcourt targets if we miss on Moore, Williams and Brown? (I’m not writing off our chances, but Auburn is not favored for any of the three.) I haven’t seen much on us recruiting any backup plans - seems like we were confident in landing Kessler and/or Brakefield. 

Would probably target Cliff Omoruyi and Rongie Gordon pretty hard if that were to happen

3 hours ago, crococile22 said:

The article your talking about is quoting Bruce Pearl direclty from preseason interviews. Auburn recruitied Turbo as a 2 guard before they knew Jared was leaving his junior year. Turbo was actually supposed to be Bryce's replacement but kinda got forced into a backup PG role, which is fine cause we'll need him for the next 3-4 years to play that position for us in limited minutes. Hopefully he gets some good experience this year.

Exactly....and Pearl was expecting to have Turbo play a little 2 guard, and backup PG, but he has been slow to adapt to the system, and Pearl hinted doesn't know what to do when he gets out there. 

For next year, he probably wants Cooper to man the PG spot, and continue to develop Turbo for the 2 guard, since Doughty will graduate. 

• Like 1

On 11/13/2019 at 11:05 AM, tigerbrotha12 said:

"jhead"? I don't remember and the ITAT boards are currently down

Unless he has an account on 247 I don’t know about it wasn’t him that said that info. I have his Rivals posts page bookmarked and read it almost daily.

21 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

Targets will emerge in the spring if we don’t sign any during this period.

24 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We’re not unless Turbo decides to transfer.

i find that hard to believe, and you might be right, but with the situation as it is, it will be crazy not to get a grad transfer or a role player....Hopefully turbo gets right because his high school video is impressive, but it does concern me some about his basketball IQ if BP has hinted that he doesn't know what hes doing out there....I know Cooper is the real deal, but i will be surprised if we don't get a little insurance to help at the PG

59 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

i find that hard to believe, and you might be right, but with the situation as it is, it will be crazy not to get a grad transfer or a role player....Hopefully turbo gets right because his high school video is impressive, but it does concern me some about his basketball IQ if BP has hinted that he doesn't know what hes doing out there....I know Cooper is the real deal, but i will be surprised if we don't get a little insurance to help at the PG

I love the idea of a grad transfer PG. might be hard to pull off with sharif coming in though

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

I love the idea of a grad transfer PG. might be hard to pull off with sharif coming in though

Patience with Turbo. He's going to play a lot over the course of the next 5 days. I think he'll be ready to help us out even this season.

Grad transfer guys want to play and play alot because their clock is ticking and want to show scouts their game. Highly unlikely a guy on his last chance to play will come be a backup to a freshman unless there is a unique set of circumstances

57 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Patience with Turbo. He's going to play a lot over the course of the next 5 days. I think he'll be ready to help us out even this season.

Oh i'm not giving up on Turbo 3 games into his freshmen season. Its more the chatter of him being better suited as a 2 guard that has me thinking that the grad transfer would be a good idea the PG position

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Grad transfer guys want to play and play alot because their clock is ticking and want to show scouts their game. Highly unlikely a guy on his last chance to play will come be a backup to a freshman unless there is a unique set of circumstances

I am not begging for another jared harper, just somebody that can handle the basketball, pass to the open man, and HIT FT's....McCormick is okay by me except at the line...I'm sorry, but a PG has to be able to handle clutch time at the line....i'm not downing the guy, just his FT shooting so far

Alot of these PG problems are this season only in nature. Sharife is more akin to Jared in that you should be able to play him a substantial amount of minutes in case you dont trust your backup. And Turb should be improved going into next year too. I think Sharife is probably already as good a FT shooter as Jvon, if not better

16 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Thought Sharife was supposed to sign today but don’t think he did. No reason to panic, just thought he was supposed to today. He, apparently, will be at the game tomorrow. 

I am curious to know why he has not signed. Seems like a question some Auburn beat reporter with a pulse would have answered by now.

Haven't heard if we signed any basketball recruits during the signing period...only in other Auburn sports???

17 hours ago, doverstutts said:

i find that hard to believe

Things may change but I’m just passing on info from someone as well as connected as Hooks minus the sunshine pumping Hooks has. Although not related As of a bit before Kessler committed to UNC we were not planning to take a 2nd PG in the class. 

14 hours ago, Tiger said:

Given Bruce’s reputation with point guards & developing them I bet if he wanted to add a grad transfer many grad transfers would want to come and play for Auburn even with Sherife coming in. Especially since he’ll be a true freshman. Not sure Bruce wants to give a true freshman all the point guard minutes. Bruce could easily decide to move Turbo back to the two if he is not developing as a PG and go for a transfer.

10 hours ago, AUBourne said:

I am curious to know why he has not signed. Seems like a question some Auburn beat reporter with a pulse would have answered by now.

They have. He just planned on not signing until today or tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

Haven't heard if we signed any basketball recruits during the signing period...only in other Auburn sports???

@tigerman1186 Powell signed. Sharife is expected today if he hasn't yet. 3* PF commits today & AU is in the thick of it. He would sign during this early period also.

For anyone that missed it: Chris Moore, 3* PF (4* by 247 Sports) has committed to Auburn! OP will be updated to include him as a commit shortly.

Pearl's Tigers land four-star forward for 2020 signee class

ByMARK MURPHY 

Chris Moore, one of Auburn’s primary targets for the 2020 basketball signing class, announced on Saturday that he will play for Coach Bruce Pearl’s Tigers. The senior at West Memphis High School in Arkansas made the announcement at a press conference.

Ranked four stars by 247Sports as the No. 91 overall prospect nationally, Moore is rated as the No. four prospect in the state of Arkansas and the No. 26 power forward prospect in the nation.

Moore chose the Tigers over the University of Arkansas and Memphis. He was on the AU campus recently for an official visit as he checked out Auburn’s exhibition game victory over Eckerd.

9521074.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs Chris Moore is a class of 2020 prospect. (Photo: Mark Murphy, Inside the Auburn Tigers/AUTigers.com, 247Sports)

The prospect said that he has a high opinion of Coach Bruce Pearl. “He is a down to earth guy, he is an energy guy, and he treats you like family. Sometimes when you go to a college you feel like just a player, but Bruce Pearl is different. You feel like you are part of a family and that is something that really intrigued me about him.

40COMMENTS

Recruited by assistant coach Wes Flanigan, Moore noted he has a good relationship with the coach and his son Allen, who is a freshman on the Auburn team from Little Rock, Ark. “Coach Flanigan, I call him ‘Unc’ because he is old school, but Coach Flanigan is a great guy, an old school guy,” Moore said. “He ticks on me all of the time just like I am one of his because he has known me for a little while now. He is just a down to earth guy as well.”

Moore is the third commitment for the Tigers for the 2020 class joining 6-6 guard Justin Powell from North Oldham High in Goshen, Ky., and 6-0 point guard Sharife Cooper from McEachern High in Powder Springs, Ga. Powell signed with the Tigers this week and Cooper is expected to do the same thing in the early period, which runs through Tuesday.

">247Sports

Edited by tigerbrotha12
  • Like 1

5* SG Cam Thomas commits to LSU.

We likely weren't really in this one late, but he was on our board and we went after him earlier in the cycle a good bit. Now we gotta deal with him. 

https://twitter.com/PaulBiancardi?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

image.png

Edited by tigerbrotha12

I guess i shouldn't be but i thought those recordings would have hurt LSUs recruiting some but that does not appear to be the case. 

Loving how our class is coming together. I hope to see some height added in there soon. We need some 6'8"+ people on the roster

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

I hope to see some height added in there soon. We need some 6'8"+ people on the roster

We have 2 spots left in this class. 1 is going to a big & the other to a guard.

• Like 1