2020 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

20 hours ago, Rednilla said:

We did when his pick was for Auburn. IJS

Even if it is for Auburn I don’t pay attention to picks who aren’t from reporters from teams covering a recruitment or national reporters with good reputations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

With Cliff headed to Rutgers, and assuming Maker is going pro, I’m thinking we’ll turn up the heat on JT Thor and may offer Cardwell...

Very iffy Thor can even finish in the 2020 class. 2021 is more likely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Very iffy Thor can even finish in the 2020 class. 2021 is more likely.

If you had to guess right now as to who will be in the class (just going on having 3 slots open), who would you think it will be? Do we have the capacity to have a monster class with, say, Green, Brown, and Kuminga? Or is it too much to think we could get both Brown and Kuminga, since they play such a similar position (Brown's dad wanting him to be more a 3, etc)?

2 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

With Cliff headed to Rutgers, and assuming Maker is going pro, I’m thinking we’ll turn up the heat on JT Thor and may offer Cardwell...

We may just wait it out and see if we get Sonogo who is Kuminga teammate and is most likely classifying to 2020 as well. He's a top 50 kid for 2021.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

We may just wait it out and see if we get Sonogo who is Kuminga teammate and is most likely classifying to 2020 as well. He's a top 50 kid for 2021.

>IF< we could get those 2, would there be a place for Cardwell? I like the video that I have seen of him. Superstar?....Nah, but he has good hands and good footwork around the basket and he HOLDS ON to ball once he gets it, which should cause my BP to drop to acceptable levels again

1 hour ago, doverstutts said:

>IF< we could get those 2, would there be a place for Cardwell? I like the video that I have seen of him. Superstar?....Nah, but he has good hands and good footwork around the basket and he HOLDS ON to ball once he gets it, which should cause my BP to drop to acceptable levels again

He averaged 10 minutes per game his junior year at oak Hill. Averaged 4 points and 4 boards in 10 minutes per game. Didn't play at all his senior year at McEachern. He's a major project. We can't go in to next year with him and stretch as our 2 true centers. 

Screenshot_20200329-175718.png

Screenshot_20200329-175705.png

Screenshot_20200329-175654.png

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

He's a major project.

Major? Nah, a project but not a major one. Role player,backup sure, but we are running out of options on big guys

I do not follow basketball as close as I should being that we are now a top program. In general, how are we doing recruiting wise? I appreciate your response!  WDE!!! &  Doc around the clock!

1 hour ago, doverstutts said:

Major? Nah, a project but not a major one. Role player,backup sure, but we are running out of options on big guys

6 hours ago, Rednilla said:

fI you had to guess right now as to who will be in the class (just going on having 3 slots open), who would you think it will be?

Don't feel comfortable guessing right now.

Do we have the capacity to have a monster class with, say, Green, Brown, and Kuminga?

Capacity means room right? Then yes.

Or is it too much to think we could get both Brown and Kuminga, since they play such a similar position (Brown's dad wanting him to be more a 3, etc)?

Not really similar.Brown is playing the 4 no matter where he goes, even if it's the stretch 4.

That being said Brown is likely choosing Texas as things are now.

4 hours ago, doverstutts said:

>IF< we could get those 2, would there be a place for Cardwell?

Yes if we have 1 or 2 departures of the current roster.

I think we get 1 out of Greg Brown and Kuminga. (don't worry guys!!! I'm knocking on wood!!!! Lol) Kuminga is the phenom and better player but I rather just get brown in a month and not have to worry about Kuminga who won't be deciding until the summer where he goes if he does reclassify to the 2020 class. Bird in hand and all of that yadda yadda.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think we get 1 out of Greg Brown and Kuminga. (don't worry guys!!! I'm knocking on wood!!!! Lol) Kuminga is the phenom and better player but I rather just get brown in a month and not have to worry about Kuminga who won't be deciding until the summer where he goes if he does reclassify to the 2020 class. Bird in hand and all of that yadda yadda.

Im probably in the minority but Ill take losing out on Greg, getting Thor and missing out on someone else if it means we have a 50/50 chance on Kuminga and gotta save a space for him. Im pretty sure we'd have 2 spots after Thor if im following this thread correctly, but you get Jon and we dont need anyone else. Whats the last time a SEC team had the #1 and #3 guys? (Im assuming Jonathan would be rated higher than Cade Cunningham)

22 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I think we go after Cardwell and a transfer who can play immediately. I think we will start seeing our name pop up in more big man transfer names like Goodwin from Wofford. 

15 hours ago, ellitor said:

Capacity means room right? Then yes.

Not in the context I was using it. My question was whether there's any chance we could end up with all three, however minute a chance it might be.

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Not in the context I was using it. My question was whether there's any chance we could end up with all three, however minute a chance it might be.

We would take all three if that’s what you’re trying to slyly ask. Even if that means some kind of roster movement necessary.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

We would take all three if that’s what you’re trying to slyly ask. Even if that means some kind of roster movement necessary.

I think what he is asking is if we have a little more than a pipe dream chance of landing all 3.

15 hours ago, thewhiz7 said:

I think what he is asking is if we have a little more than a pipe dream chance of landing all 3.

Don’t know. Basketball recruiting is much harder to predict than football.

• Like 1

Rivals150 center being patient with Auburn, Maryland

Jeffrey Lee • AuburnSports

Senior Editor

Rivals150 center Dylan Cardwell has several good options, but is being patient in making a decision.

Georgia, Miami, Tennessee and Vanderbilt all have offered and all have received at least one visit. But Cardwell is waiting to see what happens with two other schools.

“I’m going to wait a little while longer,” Cardwell said. “I want to see what Auburn is trying to do and play my cards right. After I find out what they want to do, I’ll probably move forward with my process.

"Maryland is coming in, too. Those two schools, Auburn and Maryland, coming in makes me want to wait and see what is best for me.”

Cardwell, from McEachern in Powder Springs, Ga., is very familiar with Auburn. He visited during the fall and returned for at least two home games during the winter. Cardwell also stays in contact with coach Bruce Pearl and assistants Wes Flanigan and Ira Bowman.

“I talked to (Pearl) the other day, and I always hear from (Flanigan) and (Bowman),” Cardwell said. “They thanked me for being patient with them and said they are highly interested in me.”

Cardwell has developed a strong bond with Flanigan over the past two years.

“I’ve been talking to (Flanigan) for a while now,” Cardwell said. “He’s a solid guy, a great father figure. I like how close he is with his son (Auburn freshman 

Allen Flanigan) and how his son has actually developed a whole lot under his and (Pearl’s) wings. He got a whole lot of playing time over the season as a freshman.” 125 

Cardwell also is close with Sharife Cooper. The five-star point guard, who signed with Auburn in November, is working to get Cardwell to join him at Auburn.

“Sharife is like my main recruiter,” Cardwell said. “He is respectful about it, but he says that it would be great if we could play together.”

Cardwell is certainly considering it.

“I like Auburn,” he said. “I have family there. My cousin goes to Auburn. My older cousin graduated from Auburn. My aunt graduated from Auburn and my uncle is the defensive line coach at Auburn (Rodney Garner).”

Cardwell, who is 6-feet-11 and 230 pounds, is ranked the No. 125 overall player in the 2020 class and No. 15 center.

• Thanks 1

On 3/29/2020 at 7:09 PM, doc4aday said:

I do not follow basketball as close as I should being that we are now a top program. In general, how are we doing recruiting wise? I appreciate your response!  WDE!!! &  Doc around the clock!

Don't want this to come off as sarcastic but check the first page of this thread!

• Haha 1

UMD is an excellent program on the rise, we gotta go ahead and bust a move if they start running the press on dude. Even if he's been a take for however many months, there's only so long someone's wait

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

UMD is an excellent program on the rise, we gotta go ahead and bust a move if they start running the press on dude. Even if he's been a take for however many months, there's only so long someone's wait

Sounds like we're only planning to take one big in this class. And if we haven't already made an offer/taken his commitment after missing on Omoruyi, it tells me we have someone else we're currently after that we think can play the same position and is higher on our board. The only one I can think of is Thor. Size wise and skill wise, I think Brown would fit the mold of a stretch 4 or 5 in our system, but I can't see us recruiting him at that spot, given how much he's talked about wanting to play 3 and not being interested in playing 4 or 5. I think most are recruiting Thor as a stretch 4, but I think he fits our system very well as a stretch 5. He's tall, long, very athletic and explosive for 6'10" and has some shooting skills. IMO he fits the mold of what Bruce really wants in his bigs right now. Same with Stretch Akingbola. McLemore was a little shorter version of that. Cliff would've been a bit of a hybrid in that I think he had the physical size that Stretch and Thor don't but also had the ability to step out a shoot a little. Reminds me of Emmitt Williams at LSU. Wiley is probably the exception to the 5 position for Bruce more than the rule. And IMO Cardwell is more like Wiley, a back-to-the-basket guy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

Sounds like we're only planning to take one big in this class. And if we haven't already made an offer/taken his commitment after missing on Omoruyi, it tells me we have someone else we're currently after that we think can play the same position and is higher on our board. The only one I can think of is Thor. Size wise and skill wise, I think Brown would fit the mold of a stretch 4 or 5 in our system, but I can't see us recruiting him at that spot, given how much he's talked about wanting to play 3 and not being interested in playing 4 or 5. I think most are recruiting Thor as a stretch 4, but I think he fits our system very well as a stretch 5. He's tall, long, very athletic and explosive for 6'10" and has some shooting skills. IMO he fits the mold of what Bruce really wants in his bigs right now. Same with Stretch Akingbola. McLemore was a little shorter version of that. Cliff would've been a bit of a hybrid in that I think he had the physical size that Stretch and Thor don't but also had the ability to step out a shoot a little. Reminds me of Emmitt Williams at LSU. Wiley is probably the exception to the 5 position for Bruce more than the rule. And IMO Cardwell is more like Wiley, a back-to-the-basket guy.

Who was in on the Bunker said we would take both Thor & DC if we miss on Brown? I know it was either JLee or a reliable insider.