2020 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

27 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Who would’ve guessed

Leave it alone Gene. He's entitled to his thoughts like everyone else.

• Like 4

If you lookat his clips they are either 3's or lay ups. I think at his size he'll need a mid range game. If anybody want to talk about it I can tell all about the pros and cons of doing that.

For anybody that likes example of players to compare I say look at Monte Ellis, or recently Malik monk. Now he's not close to being the overall scoring threat that they are but that's who's style if you lookat clips you'd say hey I've seen a guy play like that

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

If you lookat his clips they are either 3's or lay ups. I think at his size he'll need a mid range game. If anybody want to talk about it I can tell all about the pros and cons of doing that.

FWIW I saw a couple mid range shots in his highlights. Not sure if that's a regular part of his arsenal or not. Thanks for the input as always!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

new top 10. Will be curious to seethe new 150

Mental note. Powell was a 3* & #49 at his position before the upcoming update.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

FWIW I saw a couple mid range shots in his highlights. Not sure if that's a regular part of his arsenal or not. Thanks for the input as always!

I saw it too, but just from the highlight clip.  I thought he showed great variety from floaters, to fades, to pull up jumpers and definitely a scorer as mentioned on layups and threes. 

10 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I saw it too, but just from the highlight clip.  I thought he showed great variety from floaters, to fades, to pull up jumpers and definitely a scorer as mentioned on layups and threes. 

Agreed, i saw no concerns in his video and i personally want my SG to be all about scoring. He looked smooth handling the ball from what little i saw. I can't say about his D but you show me a highlight video that showcases a players defense and it will be the first i have seen. 

• Like 1

I just went out and watched a few different highlight films on Jayden Stone. Handles the ball well, is very smooth has a strong left hand when driving scores inside and outside appears to be quick. He starts a drive then stops then goes really well to get by his defender. The only knock I have is a as SG he is a little short at 6'3". While you don't see a lot of defense in highlight films I did see he has quick hands to knock the ball loose and also good timing when he does attack the ball handler.  As others have said you don't see enough on highlight films to really judge defensive skills.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Yes I saw in those clips him make 3-4 mid range shots, but he'll have to do it more here. That was a very small ratio and most of those drives in these clips will have to be mid range here. That's the biggest difference in aau to big time ball, the lanes are tighter and the holes open and close quick. 

You NEVER want a guard that's just a scorer, I'm sure he'll get better and better. To reach his full potential he'll need to learn how to make his talent make everyone around him better. 

He also play in Mark's aau team, the things I say don't just come from those clips. And those clips are old. He's gotten better since then

• Thanks 3

11 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

@cole256 would I be remiss to compare him to J Clarkson off the first video? 

Yes I think it's a very good comparison

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cole256 said:

He's all about scoring.....tbh I'm not too excited about him unless he can handle the rock a little and play point a little

19 hours ago, cole256 said:

For anybody that likes example of players to compare I say look at Monte Ellis, or recently Malik monk. Now he's not close to being the overall scoring threat that they are but that's who's style if you lookat clips you'd say hey I've seen a guy play like that

Preciate the insight. Is this kid a PG or a SG? I see he's listed as a PG by Rivals. Would be great PG size but doesn't seem like anyone is talking about him as a 1 but more of a 2. If he's a 2 then yeah he would have to model his game after Monta/Monk most likely as those are good comps IMO for undersized SGs who got to the NBA based on their ability to score.

Still haven't watched his highlight tape yet so I have no context for what this kid is all about. But Bruce has shown he can take a team to the Final Four with 2 very undersized guards so I'm not as bullish on prototypical NBA type of height for any of our players as I previously was. Obviously you want size/length but I think Bruce knows what he can work with. I like that this is a top 60 prospect that appears to be an AU lean. That's pretty awesome IMO.

5 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Preciate the insight. Is this kid a PG or a SG? I see he's listed as a PG by Rivals. Would be great PG size but doesn't seem like anyone is talking about him as a 1 but more of a 2. If he's a 2 then yeah he would have to model his game after Monta/Monk most likely as those are good comps IMO for undersized SGs who got to the NBA based on their ability to score.

Still haven't watched his highlight tape yet so I have no context for what this kid is all about. But Bruce has shown he can take a team to the Final Four with 2 very undersized guards so I'm not as bullish on prototypical NBA type of height for any of our players as I previously was. Obviously you want size/length but I think Bruce knows what he can work with. I like that this is a top 60 prospect that appears to be an AU lean. That's pretty awesome IMO.

I'm thinking if he can handle the ball a little better and be a passer he can be another Chris lofton. Those that don't know him he was the most dangerous threat that Bruce has ever coached.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm thinking if he can handle the ball a little better and be a passer he can be another Chris lofton. Those that don't know him he was the most dangerous threat that Bruce has ever coached.

I don't think anyone would complain if we had the next Chris Lofton. 

Wow, I didn't realize Lofton was a 3 star who's only offer outside of UT was Cincy. Bruce has one hell of an eye for talent and knows how to mold these players. I'm very excited to see what Bruce can do with an elevated level of raw talent.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I don't think anyone would complain if we had the next Chris Lofton. 

Wow, I didn't realize Lofton was a 3 star who's only offer outside of UT was Cincy. Bruce has one hell of an eye for talent and knows how to mold these players. I'm very excited to see what Bruce can do with an elevated level of raw talent.

Yes look at some of those teams. That's why I try to tell people the he like small guard thing isn't true. Now if you have an great ability to score he's going to use you but when he was recruiting and well known he recruited guys like JP Prince who was a super long point. The same go with big men as well as far as recruiting.  Gus may do the certain type of player for this position thing but Bruce wants good players....he's not turning down a guy that's 6'10 and saying I prefer my centers to be 6'6" for my system

• Like 2

it is crazy to see this type of talent showing up at AU for visits!!!....i am going to fall for Hooks45's exuberant homerism and  get real excited about that "maybe" very special class....one thing though, sometimes when you get a whole big bunch of talent on one team, maybe chemistry is not so good with only one ball used in a game.....cole,with his "all about scoring" comment makes me wonder if he knows something about the kid that we don't know......this is why i worry about horace not being there....i will miss that guy so much...always 100% effort to help the team and set an example with his unselfish attitude

1 hour ago, Gene Loblaw said:

new 150 out. PF targets Chris Moore and Jaylin Williams both made big jumps 

A center target Cliff Omoruyi, moved up a spot to #54 also.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Link in the tweet is a free read.

Interesting that one of Kesslers best friend is Powell.

Mmm. Seems Pearl may be using that connection to find any way possible to get Kessler to Auburn instead of Duke. Smart. Smart.