Your beliefs on Abortion...

DKW 86

Your Beliefs on Abortion....  

33 members have voted

1. 1. In general terms, What do you identify with?

• Pro-Choice
    • Pro-Life
  2. 2. More Specifically...

• No Restrictions Up Until Birth: Mother's Choice.
    • Up until 30 Weeks, Rape & Incest, Exceptions Afterwards.
    • Up until 20 Weeks, Rape & Incest, Exceptions Afterwards.
    • Up until 12 Weeks, Rape & Incest, Exceptions.
    • Up until Heartbeat or Roughly 6 Weeks, Rape & Incest, Exceptions.
    • Rape & Incest, Exceptions Only
    • No Exceptions, Sanctity of Life Only.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i am pro choice but not because i like abortion. i think people that use abortion for birth control suck. the same way i feel about religious organizations who refuse birth control like condoms, the pill, or even the next day pill. y'all are just as guilty or the sanctity of life folks would approve of those as well to stop or slow down abortion. i also believe the mother has the right to terminate under certain conditions such as health, rape, and incest. too many wingnuts involved. too much religion involved. they might be few but those that rail against abortion and yet refuse to supply birth control are a big concern. what will they come up with next? no birth control at all because it might be gods will? laugh or whatever but these are true thoughts. and if the mother is not in harms way if i ever got a woman pregnant i would take my child in a heartbeat.

I don't have an answer that fits the poll. I don't like abortions but there are times when it may be the best solution for a bad situation.

This is a personal issue for me. My wife and I tried very hard to get pregnant. We finally did but there was a genetic defect in the fetus that would have guaranteed it a short and very difficult life. We did lots of research and spoke to people who were personally affected by this abnormality, to include a nurse who worked the ward where children (very few people survive to adulthood) with this issue are treated. Everything led us to the conclusion that the most merciful thing to do was to terminate the pregnancy. It was the most difficult decision of our lives. We cried nonstop for days and daily for weeks, and neither of us managed a real smile for months afterward. We will carry guilt and uncertainty about our decision for the rest of our lives, even though we've been assured by people who deal with it on a daily basis that we did the right thing. 

I wish ill upon the people making these heartbeat laws. 

Personal views are that only the life of the mother being in danger warrants an abortion, and even then it shouldn't be done in ways guaranteed to kill the child.  Deliver the child early, intact - not dismembered or chemically burned with saline.  If it can be saved, do what's necessary to help it live.

However, less than 3% of all abortions are performed for the life/health of the mother, rape and incest combined.  So if I could get people to stop seeing abortion as a method of birth control when their condoms or pills didn't work and save 97% of the babies being killed now, I'd take it in a second.

8 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Personal views are that only the life of the mother being in danger warrants an abortion, and even then it shouldn't be done in ways guaranteed to kill the child.  Deliver the child early, intact - not dismembered or chemically burned with saline.  If it can be saved, do what's necessary to help it live.

However, less than 3% of all abortions are performed for the life/health of the mother, rape and incest combined.  So if I could get people to stop seeing abortion as a method of birth control when their condoms or pills didn't work and save 97% of the babies being killed now, I'd take it in a second.

A method of birth control is what bothers me.  I still support the 3% right to  an abortion.

I'll also say, part and parcel to a fully pro-life worldview, in my opinion, should be universal healthcare.  Or at the very least, full coverage for pregnant women and children.  As well as paid maternity leave.  You can talk about valuing human life til you're blue in the face but when a woman is struggling financially and can't afford good insurance, can't afford good insurance for any children she'd have and is facing six weeks without getting a paycheck even if she gets to keep her job, you're living in a fantasy world if you think that's not going to create demand for abortions.  Desperation makes a lot of folks do things they wouldn't normally do.  So we have to be just as concerned for what happens with mothers and children after delivery as we are with the delivery itself.

19 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

So if I could get people to stop seeing abortion as a method of birth control when their condoms or pills didn't work and save 97% of the babies being killed now, I'd take it in a second.

Wow. I just provided an example that falls neither into your 3% nor into your "birth control" group. You need to dial that 97% crap back, a LOT. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Wow. I just provided an example that falls neither into your 3% nor into your "birth control" group. You need to dial that 97% crap back, a LOT. 

We were typing at the same time.  So I looked up some stats though they are hard to pin down.  Reason given for fetal health problems as the primary reason is around 3% as well.  Now that doesn't specify fatal problems such as you describe, so it could include things like Down Syndrome.  So I'll adjust to 94%.

And I'm very sorry for what you guys had to go through.  I know it had to be an agonizing situation.

I’m all for choice. We are all corrupt sexually. It’s human nature. Some people are irresponsible the rest are lucky. We don’t get many reset buttons in this imperfect world. Abortion is that very thing. It’s a reset button. I don’t consider a fertilized seed, zygote  or embryo that is not viable outside the womb a person if the mother doesn’t want a child. I do believe in personal responsibility as well.  So getting pregnant I can forgive. The women should know immediately if they are not going to carry all the way. 20 weeks is more than enough time to terminate. I’ll go with that option. If your decision lingers past this point you lose your option. My two cents. 

Pro-Life, but exceptions for rape, incest or if the Mother's life is in danger.

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

This is a personal issue for me. My wife and I tried very hard to get pregnant. We finally did but there was a genetic defect in the fetus that would have guaranteed it a short and very difficult life. We did lots of research and spoke to people who were personally affected by this abnormality, to include a nurse who worked the ward where children (very few people survive to adulthood) with this issue are treated. Everything led us to the conclusion that the most merciful thing to do was to terminate the pregnancy. It was the most difficult decision of our lives. We cried nonstop for days and daily for weeks, and neither of us managed a real smile for months afterward. We will carry guilt and uncertainty about our decision for the rest of our lives, even though we've been assured by people who deal with it on a daily basis that we did the right thing. 

my heart goes out to you and your wife loof. sometimes doing the right thing can be the hardest thing in the world. i hope down the road you guys had all the children you wished for.

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

my heart goes out to you and your wife loof. sometimes doing the right thing can be the hardest thing in the world. i hope down the road you guys had all the children you wished for.

We did, Fifty. We are lucky beyond our wildest dreams. 

Really appreciate it, bud. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

We did, Fifty. We are lucky beyond our wildest dreams. 

Really appreciate it, bud. 

he fight like hell sometimes over gus but in the end i still think of you as my auburn blood brother. even when i get mad it is not really personal. so keep on giving me hell. i will do the same for you. at the end of the day we can hold a cold one to the stars and admit this is a form of entertainment.  for the record i hate to lose an argument.lol

Just now, aubiefifty said:

he fight like hell sometimes over gus but in the end i still think of you as my auburn blood brother. even when i get mad it is not really personal. so keep on giving me hell. i will do the same for you. at the end of the day we can hold a cold one to the stars and admit this is a form of entertainment.  for the record i hate to lose an argument.lol

Image result for cheers gif

7 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i am pro choice but not because i like abortion. i think people that use abortion for birth control suck. the same way i feel about religious organizations who refuse birth control like condoms, the pill, or even the next day pill. y'all are just as guilty or the sanctity of life folks would approve of those as well to stop or slow down abortion. i also believe the mother has the right to terminate under certain conditions such as health, rape, and incest. too many wingnuts involved. too much religion involved. they might be few but those that rail against abortion and yet refuse to supply birth control are a big concern. what will they come up with next? no birth control at all because it might be gods will? laugh or whatever but these are true thoughts. and if the mother is not in harms way if i ever got a woman pregnant i would take my child in a heartbeat.

see guys? i served proudly in the military and i even own a weapon for protection. i just hate crooks and i could care less what or whom they rep. sometimes if we stop and think many of us have more in common than we realize.............

On 5/31/2019 at 5:40 AM, DKW 86 said:

This is to just generally seek a status on where posters are in general terms

My belief is that abortion should be an option if the health of the child or the mother is at risk, or if there is a situation of rape or incest. 

Abortion for the sake convenience should not be an option. No one can definitively say for certain when life begins, so should we not err on the side of caution?

Additionally, as adults, we should accept personal responsibility. This especially includes the men who fathered these children. Men who do not fulfill their fatherly duties, should be sterilized. 

In cases where people are unfit to take on the responsibility to raise their own children, local communities need to step up desperately to shoulder their “fellow man’s” burden. 

Posted above is my moral argument. My political argument is that government has 3 main responsibilities: national security, protection of individual liberty, and protection of life. In this case, two of those functions may be conflicting, and arguments can be made for each side. 

I have enjoyed reading each of your posts and opinions. @McLoofus I am so sorry for what you and your wife had to endure, I’ve been through a very similar experience. 

I wouldn’t be here today if abortion had been offered to my egg donor. I was a total hiccup in the life of the wild and free. Luckily I had a grandmother and great aunt who put their foot down and took care of me until my aunt and uncle adopted me at age 3.

That said I am a believer in more freedom than less. Government has too much control over the people as it is! If someone wants to use abortion to offer a reset in their life that’s on them. Government shouldn’t force a person to give birth to a child that was forced on a woman in the act of a crime or via incest. I get the moral dilemma but free will has to count for something. 

Honestly this issue would be of little consequence if people just took responsibility of themselves and utilized the offerings available today. Society is moving away from personal responsibility and towards allowing an entity to decide their fate. Birth control works well if you follow the steps. 

On 5/31/2019 at 8:31 AM, TitanTiger said:

I'll also say, part and parcel to a fully pro-life worldview, in my opinion, should be universal healthcare.  Or at the very least, full coverage for pregnant women and children.  As well as paid maternity leave.  You can talk about valuing human life til you're blue in the face but when a woman is struggling financially and can't afford good insurance, can't afford good insurance for any children she'd have and is facing six weeks without getting a paycheck even if she gets to keep her job, you're living in a fantasy world if you think that's not going to create demand for abortions.  Desperation makes a lot of folks do things they wouldn't normally do.  So we have to be just as concerned for what happens with mothers and children after delivery as we are with the delivery itself.

Like you I am Pro-Life and like you I want all people to have access to medical care. I totally believe that life should be protected period but I would make an exception for the 3% as it is a great improvement over the current system. I work with groups through the Church that support women who decide to keep the child we provide Natal care, Diapers, clothes, food, and sometimes rental and monetary help. Problem is it is usually only for a year or two and the reality a new child is for 18 years or more.  

How we get to full access medical care is the issue so far none of the solutions I have seen truly provide Universal healthcare. I have friends in UK and Canada who basically like their healthcare as long as it is routine healthcare but there are areas they say the government drops the ball. Our current system of Insurance through company, or private, or medicare or no insurance but we will treat you in emergency room if it gets bad enough has large number of holes in it. None of the programs have addresses the cost of medicine in the US which is much higher than any other country in the world. Until the cost issue is addressed no solution from Single payer to a mix of Company, Private, Government provided will work as we will bankrupt the country.

I am more and more committed to Medicare for all every day. As Titan and others said above, taking care of babies that are born into at risk homes just seems like the next, rational, logical step for me.

Medicare for all would have been a better plan than the ACA, which was never really meant to fix healthcare. Instead it ruined the student loan situation and did little to provide healthcare for all. 

Pro life here. No murdering babies allowed. Incest or rape? I don't know. I'd err on the side of caution. Which is pro life.

No murdering babies allowed. Call it what it is, instead of "Planned Parenthood". I don't care what you think. Yet I do.  Sort of.

I'm right, regardless.

I think.

No, I know.

I think.

This is a tough one for me. I'm almost (all the way 100% no exceptions) Pro Life. I think people would be more responsible to an extent if they didn't have Abortion as a form of birth control. I believe life is precious. I believe there are millions of people who cannot have kids themselves who would love to adopt int circumstances where the mother/father cannot or does not want to take care of the child. For those that say my body my choice...I say do you have 2 heartbeats? No. For those that say as long as it is dependent upon the mother to live then their choice, I say well that could be a couple of years after birth. Are we just going to kill infants and toddlers? Now, for the rape and incest, which I figure has to be rape in order for the incest to apply, if you are are incest without being raped then you need help period and that's another topic....but for those cases, I get where you are coming from. I think rapists should be hung in the street if found guilty, but regardless how the child was conceived, that's a human life. If someone does you harm...you don't go do harm to someone else do ya? That's the way I personally see that. I will say i can't relate to what that feels like though because I obviously have not been raped by a family member or raped at all for that matter. The only place I budge if there is a direct impending danger on the life of the mother or child. That is a tough one. Here is my issue though. Take New York's new abortion laws. Late term if it poses risk....who makes that decision? The Dr? The mother? The government? I sure as hell don't want the GOVT more involved in any aspect of our lives more than they have to be. So for me I am Pro Life, but do think there is a tiny percentage of medical exceptions. 

On 5/31/2019 at 8:09 AM, McLoofus said:

Dang man. Had no idea about this. How awful. Can't imagine having to make that decision, and knowing that it would be heartbreaking either way. I'm so sorry, but so happy that you and your wife have been able to create the wonderful family that you have today! 

Archived