Null



Sign in to follow this  
tigeraddikt

Next Play-by-Play Broadcaster (Update 8/12: Andy Burcham)

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

I believe he did not 100% sure but I also kinda blank out those Barfield years 

Yeah the “barf” years were forgettable ones! Drank a lot back then! Oh sorry, I see now, you said Barfield years.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




3 hours ago, toddc said:

Drank a lot back then! Oh sorry, I see now, you said Barfield years.

In those years if you walked in without whiskey the Lions Club guys offered you a drink.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

I think he did for a couple of years. Sandwiched between Gary Sanders and Jim. Maybe on an interim basis. Was trying to get some info on that the other day. Paul would have been young at the time and I can not find it anywhere. Maybe @augolf1716 can recall.

Before the beginning of the 1978 season, WAPI had the Auburn Football radio contract, and Gary Sanders & Gusty Yearout were employed by WAPI to do PBP. Another station (can't remember which) bought the rights and ditched Gary and Gusty and hired Paul Ellen, Phil Snow and Mike Kolen. When Dye was hired, 'I think' the rights were bought out again and Jim Fyffe was tapped.

 

I must say, Ellen, Snow and Kolen were very forgettable.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Before the beginning of the 1978 season, WAPI had the Auburn Football radiocontract, and Gary Sanders & Gusty Yearout were employed by WAPI to do PBP. Another station (can't remember which) bought the rights and ditched Gary and Gusty and hired Paul Ellen, Phil Snow and Mike Kolen. When Dye was hired, 'I think' the rights were bought out again and Jim Fyffe was tapped.

 

I must say, Ellen, Snow and Kolen were very forgettable.

Good stuff. Gary Sanders was a great one. Snow continued his affiliation with Auburn for a while in the Dye years. As I recall he was the host of Dyes television review.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Good stuff. Gary Sanders was a great one. Snow continued his affiliation with Auburn for a while in the Dye years. As I recall he was the host of Dyes television review.

Thanks for info.  I thought Snow did the play by play from the booth on the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Good stuff. Gary Sanders was a great one. Snow continued his affiliation with Auburn for a while in the Dye years. As I recall he was the host of Dyes television review.

That's correct. Snow took over the review show duties in 1976 after Shug retired, replacing Carl Stephens. It probably didn't hurt that WSFA got the broadcast rights for the review show and Snow was sports director for WSFA.😝

 

Snow was much better on camera than off.

 

FWIW, I still prefer the old review format than today's.

Edited by Swamp Eagle
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Swamp Eagle said:

That's correct. Snow took over the review show duties after Shug retired, replacing Carl Stephens. It probably didn't hurt that WSFA got the broadcast rights for the review show and Snow was sports director for WSFA.😝

 

Snow was much better on camera than off.

I hope he was better off camera. Always felt that Dye intimidated him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SaltyTiger said:

I hope he was better off camera. Always felt that Dye intimidated him. 

He wasn't much different with Barfield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

 

FWIW, I still prefer the old review format than today's.

Same here. My life and career spent in Auburn after graduation. Got to know Dye as well as possible at old Bent Creek Grocery on exit 57. At that time nothing on the exit other than BCG and Rental Service Company across the road. Bent Creek was in the same spot as the QV station now. Behind RSC was undeveloped. Academy and Sams, etc. now.

With that said Coach Dye was an early riser,  they filmed that show per his schedule and around 6;30 on Sunday morning. Phil and crew probably not happy.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Before the beginning of the 1978 season, WAPI had the Auburn Football radio contract, and Gary Sanders & Gusty Yearout were employed by WAPI to do PBP. Another station (can't remember which) bought the rights and ditched Gary and Gusty and hired Paul Ellen, Phil Snow and Mike Kolen. When Dye was hired, 'I think' the rights were bought out again and Jim Fyffe was tapped.

If I recall correctly, Mike Kolen got fired from the booth for criticizing Barfield's play calling late in his coaching career on the plains one Saturday. I believe Kolen said: " That's the stupidest play calling that I've ever seen". Kolen was not a fan of Barfield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly think they should do a per basis rotation and let the fans decide on the long term status. Rotate like 5 Auburn guys over the next few sports (read: basketball and football) and see who’s preferred 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cctiger said:

If I recall correctly, Mike Kolen got fired from the booth for criticizing Barfield's play calling late in his coaching career on the plains one Saturday. I believe Kolen said: " That's the stupidest play calling that I've ever seen". Kolen was not a fan of Barfield.

If Captain Crunch said that is the stupidest play calling he has ever seen the it is was the stupidest playcalling.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I honestly think they should do a per basis rotation and let the fans decide on the long term status. Rotate like 5 Auburn guys over the next few sports (read: basketball and football) and see who’s preferred 

I like that idea about as much as rotating 3 qb's in a single game.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

I like that idea about as much as rotating 3 qb's in a single game.  

The first time I saw that done was vs LSU in 1981 (Dye's year 1). 

Ken Hobby

Joe Sullivan

Clayton Beauford or Charles Thomas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

The first time I saw that done was vs LSU in 1981 (Dye's year 1). 

Ken Hobby

Joe Sullivan

Clayton Beauford or Charles Thomas

I went to that game. Sort of rainy, sloppy day and we won if I recall correctly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

I went to that game. Sort of rainy, sloppy day and we won if I recall correctly.

Won 19-7. I got to go on the field as a recruit's guest (HS teammate was Yann Cowart) and met Coach Dye. It was pretty cool...

We won our game that previous Friday night by the same score.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2019 at 11:54 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I honestly think they should do a per basis rotation and let the fans decide on the long term status. Rotate like 5 Auburn guys over the next few sports (read: basketball and football) and see who’s preferred 

Wouldn't really work.  As a pxp guy, you need the repetitions and stability, along with trust from the coaches, players, and administration.  My first full time job out of college was as a pxp guy and I still do it on the side for fun.  Left the profession because the pay is lousy unless you make it to a big college program or a Major League team.  However, have been fortunate enough to call over 500 minor league baseball games, NAIA basketball, NAIA and D2 baseball, and Texas high school football.

From my experience, the pxp guy gets access to info that no one else gets and has to be trusted that he can discern what is and isn't appropriate to share on air.  That comes with time.  Can't even begin to describe how many locker room or bus ride stories I have from my days in the Minor Leagues that I'll never be able to share.

Here's a great example of something I can share.  Called a Texas High School playoff game football game last year.  Before the game, I spoke to the head coach of "our" team and asked if there was anything I should be on the lookout for.  He mentioned there was a trick play that would be used if given the opportunity.  The key from my side is that I inherently have to know NOT to divulge that information before the play happens.  I can talk about it after the fact all I want, but not before.  And coaches don't want to give you that kind of info unless they can trust you.

The fans will ultimately accept whoever the Network chooses.  My hunch is they may go with a younger talent like Brad Law, who I think is very good when given the opportunity.  The biggest detriment for anyone at the Network that I see is no one there has called a football game on the radio.  It's a big difference between calling games for TV and radio and not a simple adjustment.  Takes time to get it right.  Considering Fox owns the rights now to AU athletics, I wouldn't be shocked to see them go outside of the family and bring in someone who has cut their teeth at a smaller school.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kinda hope Brit Bowen does baseball. I love his excitement. He's done well with softball and I'd throw my vote in for him moving up to baseball.

Absolutely LOVED his call of Judd Ward throwing out the runner at first from left field the other night...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

The fans will ultimately accept whoever the Network chooses.  My hunch is they may go with a younger talent like Brad Law, who I think is very good when given the opportunity.  The biggest detriment for anyone at the Network that I see is no one there has called a football game on the radio.

Discussing earlier and a couple us of thought we recall Paul Ellen for a couple of years before Jim. saw in his bio somewhere that he did PBP for Southern Miss a few years.

Doesn't Brad Law host Sportscall and do AHS football?

Edited by SaltyTiger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Discussing earlier and a couple us of thought we recall Paul Ellen for a couple of years before Jim. saw in his bio somewhere that he did PBP for Southern Miss a few years.

Doesn't Brad Law host Sportscall and do AHS football?

I think Paul did years ago, but doubt they would move him back to that role full time.  If you look at history, AU has traditionally gone younger with their lead guy when he takes over.  Fyffe was 36 when he took the job.  Bramblett was around the same age.  Would expect something similar here.

Not sure what Brad does anymore on the side.  I do like the way he calls a baseball game though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I think Paul did years ago, but doubt they would move him back to that role full time.  If you look at history, AU has traditionally gone younger with their lead guy when he takes over.  Fyffe was 36 when he took the job.  Bramblett was around the same age.  Would expect something similar here.

Not sure what Brad does anymore on the side.  I do like the way he calls a baseball game though.

Curious since you are the media guy. What kind of salaries, etc do the college guys get? Could not get much info when I searched the other day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Curious since you are the media guy. What kind of salaries, etc do the college guys get? Could not get much info when I searched the other day.

I'm honestly not sure.  Big league broadcasters make in the six figures.  But college guys vary I'm sure based on the school, the rights contracts, etc.  I'm sure guys like Eli Gold make more than enough to live a nice life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'm honestly not sure.  Big league broadcasters make in the six figures.  But college guys vary I'm sure based on the school, the rights contracts, etc.  I'm sure guys like Eli Gold make more than enough to live a nice life.

Guys like Eli Gold also get comped a lot of meals. Hopefully most of them tip. Eli does not. I have sources. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Guys like Eli Gold also get comped a lot of meals. Hopefully most of them tip. Eli does not. I have sources. 

Pretty dumb that he doesn't tip seeing as to how he is a part owner of a restaurant (Nino's in Pelham)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this