Next Play-by-Play Broadcaster (Update 8/12: Andy Burcham)

tigeraddikt

4 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

LOL!  I remember they made radio commercials out of that broken chair.

...note, he even PROVED his knowledge of dawg fans by pointing out how there was "going to be property destroyed tonight"!  HA!!!

In 93 with no television a few of us drove to Athens in hopes of finding tickets. No luck so we drove back to Auburn and listened to the Ga network broadcast. Munson was fabulous. Made us sound like the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Lesson learned. Do not go to Athens wearing Auburn hats or colors and expect to buy ticket. My in-laws went neutral and had no problem finding a ticket.   

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

In 93 with no television a few of us drove to Athens in hopes of finding tickets. No luck so we drove back to Auburn and listened to the Ga network broadcast. Munson was fabulous. Made us sound like the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Lesson learned. Do not go to Athens wearing Auburn hats or colors and expect to buy ticket. My in-laws went neutral and had no problem finding a ticket.   

What a great year.......attended every home with the exception being Florida game as work had me in New Orleans.

3 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

What a great year.......attended every home with the exception being Florida game as work had me in New Orleans.

Same here. Will never forget the Calvin Jackson interception return. In my mind turning point. Florida about to go up two scores Went back 95 the other direction.

I was in one of the RR;s NE corner JHS at the urinal with Jim in my ear. All in there about peed on each other from cheering. 

11 hours ago, kevon67 said:

I am guessing Dreamland BBQ.

Baumhowers or whatever that guy's name is? Maybe? I can't remember for sure.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Baumhowers or whatever that guy's name is? Maybe? I can't remember for sure.

That's the one. We have one here in Huntsville. 

On 6/5/2019 at 10:22 PM, Btiger1982 said:

I agree with Barry McKnight coming to Auburn. Another option I haven’t seen mentioned  is Chuck Oliver. Would he step off his throne as the King of College Football and come back to his alma mater to take over play-by-play duties? I do not know Chuck’s salary but I do listen to his show regularly and I heard him say Auburn was his top 3 in priorities, sometimes two depending on how his kids are acting. What do you think? Please see the below video to see him make Mark Richt angry.

https://atlanta.sbnation.com/2012/12/2/3718144/video-mark-richt-comments-chuck-oliver

Chuck Oliver is insufferable listening to on the radio. Huge pass on him.

5 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Damn straight plus he more fake Auburn fan then being a real Auburn fan. Can't stand the guy personally

5 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

23 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Damn straight plus he more fake Auburn fan then being a real Auburn fan. Can't stand the guy personally

He and Chernoff are a couple of nerds. Mike Bell has his own issues but he *hates* Oliver and has spoken many times about how awful it was to work with him. 

On 6/2/2019 at 9:17 AM, Gene Loblaw said:

Who actually is in charge of making the hire? Does this fall under Allen Greene’s umbrella or not?

The last time I knew something about this, the Auburn Network did the hiring and firing. The announcers were not AU employees. I suppose the University could have some input, but it's not their hire and not their call. NOTE: It's been a while and this could possibly have changed, or the person who worked there and told this to me could have been misinformed but I believed him at the time.

On 6/6/2019 at 10:22 AM, api1957 said:

Is Bob Uecker available? 

Must be in the “Front Row”

• 1 month later...

I, like everyone in the auburn family, have mourned the tragic loss of Rod Bramblett. I ask this question to the board with great respect for Rod and with hope that this offends no one - has it been announced who will step in for Rod moving forward for the 2019 season? I attempted to google it and found nothing and thought I would ask here. Continued prayers for his family, and it still stings thinking about not having his voice make the calls. 

39 minutes ago, jmcrosson said:

I, like everyone in the auburn family, have mourned the tragic loss of Rod Bramblett. I ask this question to the board with great respect for Rod and with hope that this offends no one - has it been announced who will step in for Rod moving forward for the 2019 season? I attempted to google it and found nothing and thought I would ask here. Continued prayers for his family, and it still stings thinking about not having his voice make the calls. 

No announcement yet. It's expected sometime around the 1st week of August.

15 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Hard to believe it’s this close to the season and no announcement has been made. IIRC, Rod was announced within 1-2 months after Jim passed. 

Maybe Rod was a more obvious (and/or available) replacement than any of our current options. 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Maybe Rod was a more obvious (and/or available) replacement than any of our current options. 

I think this is pretty accurate.  Also should note that the Auburn Network is now owned by Fox.  Could be that they are doing more of a national search than previous ownership did.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

I think this is pretty accurate.  Also should note that the Auburn Network is now owned by Fox.  Could be that they are doing more of a national search than previous ownership did.

This could be a good thing or a bad thing. I assume Auburn has retained the ultimate decision making power. 

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

This could be a good thing or a bad thing. I assume Auburn has retained the ultimate decision making power. 

JJ went to Florida. 😂

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

My exact thoughts too. I’m sure they’re exhasting every available resource. Still hoping Brad Law gets the gig. Never heard him call a game, but he’s already apart of the team and has a great “radio” voice. 

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Also should note that the Auburn Network is now owned by Fox.  Could be that they are doing more of a national search than previous ownership did.

Chris Davis, no not that Chris Davis, runs the AU network & was apart of it before Fox bought AU Sports media rights. He is doing the hiring & I doubt it goes national or that Fox exerts much of an influence on the decision.

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Chris Davis, no not that Chris Davis, runs the AU network & was apart of it before Fox bough AU Sports media rights. He is doing the hiring & I doubt it goes national or that Fox exerts much of an influence on the decision.

You are correct. I know someone who’s a local sports host that told me he got a call from Chris Davis. He could tell by my Gary Coleman face, no not THAT Chris Davis. 

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

I think it would be good.  My biggest concern with an "internal" candidate is that they don't have much, if any, experience calling football on the radio, especially at this level.  It's not an on-the-job training type of gig.  That's what Division II is for.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

I think it would be good.  My biggest concern with an "internal" candidate is that they don't have much, if any, experience calling football on the radio, especially at this level.  It's not an on-the-job training type of gig.  That's what Division II is for.

Oh no doubt, that's why I think it could be a good thing. 

Archived