Next Play-by-Play Broadcaster (Update 8/12: Andy Burcham)

tigeraddikt

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Oh no doubt, that's why I think it could be a good thing. 

Yup.  It's hard to explain to people, but calling games on the radio takes a ton of repitions to become competent.  The medium is just so different than what people are used to hearing on TV.

I do about a dozen football games a year right now and have called hundreds and hundreds of baseball games at multiple levels.  I'm still learning new tricks with every broadcast.  It's extremely hard to do well.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I think it would be good.  My biggest concern with an "internal" candidate is that they don't have much, if any, experience calling football on the radio, especially at this level.  It's not an on-the-job training type of gig.  That's what Division II is for.

Tough job making the selection....we are used to having "homers" doing the games for us and probably gonna be hard to find the person with the right "voice" after JF and RB..  The next person will have his work cut out for him. ….or her. 

I have no clue who is getting the job but there are 2 guys who are local with AU degrees, both well qualified & 1 has worked AU Sports Network before with baseball. Barry McKnight who does Troy play by play & Van Riggs. Van Riggs has done AU baseball before & has one of the best radio voices I ever heard. Really no need to go national if one of those 2 want the job.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

I have no clue who is getting the job but there are 2 guys who are local with AU degrees, both well qualified & 1 has worked AU Sports Network before with baseball. Barry McKnight who does Troy play by play & Van Riggs. Van Riggs has done AU baseball before & has one of the best radio voices I ever heard. Really no need to go national if one of those 2 want the job.

Barry McKnight gets my vote, he is very smooth and calls a great Troy game.  Then his local radio show up against that jackass Longshore, McKight holds his own and responds with class every time.  

15 hours ago, kennypowers said:

I vote for Charles Barkley on play by play.

After the game he could breakdown the good, the bad and the turrible plays. 

18 hours ago, ellitor said:

Van is an old fraternity brother of mine.  Ask him to do the Harry Carrey impression.  It’s pretty amazing.  Good dude.

On 7/29/2019 at 1:40 PM, Brad_ATX said:

Yup.  It's hard to explain to people, but calling games on the radio takes a ton of repitions to become competent.  The medium is just so different than what people are used to hearing on TV.

I do about a dozen football games a year right now and have called hundreds and hundreds of baseball games at multiple levels.  I'm still learning new tricks with every broadcast.  It's extremely hard to do well.

Limiting the levels to college baseball and football who are/where the best at each IYO Brad? Told you before that I love radio broadcast,  football and baseball. Especially baseball and thought there was none better than Rod. Felt we were extremely blessed to have him. His love for the ballpark was easy to hear through the broadcast. One of my sons headed the Savannah Auburn club a few years ago. During a visit Rod did tell him that baseball was his sport of preference. 

59 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Limiting the levels to college baseball and football who are/where the best at each IYO Brad? Told you before that I love radio broadcast,  football and baseball. Especially baseball and thought there was none better than Rod. Felt we were extremely blessed to have him. His love for the ballpark was easy to hear through the broadcast. One of my sons headed the Savannah Auburn club a few years ago. During a visit Rod did tell him that baseball was his sport of preference. 

So I listen to a lot more pro baseball on the radio than I do college.  Usually just watch college ball instead of listening.

However, I do like Craig Way a lot (Texas).  He's very smooth, not overly homerish, and knows what he's talking about.  A lot of people may not like this, but Eli Gold is very good too for football. You always know what's going on and that's an overlooked key.

Up north, there's George Blaha who does Michigan State football.  He's also the longtime voice of the Detroit Pistons, though he does more TV now than radio for them.  Like his style a lot too.  Classic listen.

For baseball, this is a bit of a homer choice because I knew him while coming up in the industry.  But I really like Tom Hart.  He does a lot of SEC sports for ESPN, the College World Series, and MLB for ESPN Radio.  He's very versatile, knowledgeable, and calls a great game.

Otherwise I haven't found too many college baseball guys that I actually enjoy listening to.  Most of them tend to know hoops or football better and the pacing of baseball doesn't suit them well.  Of course that's my outlook only.  At it's core, the conversation is very subjective.

For example, I loved Rod on football and thought he was pretty good at hoops, but was not his biggest fan when it came to baseball.  Part of that is I think when he and Andy were on a broadcast together, they tended to get overtly homerish to the point of distracting from the game (especially if a borderline call went against AU).  It's just not a style that I enjoy.

ETA: I think Texas A&M just got a new guy.  I hope that's the case.  Their old broadcaster Dave South was like listening to Jim Bob call a high school game on the local station in the sticks.  It was awful.

14 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

they tended to get overtly homerish to the point of distracting from the game (especially if a borderline call went against AU).

Being "homerish" got them lots of good barbecue delivered from the K Corner Brad.  

24 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Being "homerish" got them lots of good barbecue delivered from the K Corner Brad.  

So here's what I mean.  It's ok to inflect when the team you're calling for does something good.  Of course I got more excited when my team hit a homer than the opposition when I was doing games.  Rod's call of Creed Smith's homer in 2010 vs Clemson was great.

What I can't stand is when they would go on and on and on about umpiring.  Make your point once and then move on.  But too often that wasn't the case when Rod and Andy did games together and it got tedious to listen to.  It was as if Auburn could never do wrong and it always the ump's fault.  I actually had to stop listening to games just to avoid it.  Much preferred when Paul Ellen was on the air this year actually.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

So I listen to a lot more pro baseball on the radio than I do college.  Usually just watch college ball instead of listening.

However, I do like Craig Way a lot (Texas).  He's very smooth, not overly homerish, and knows what he's talking about.  A lot of people may not like this, but Eli Gold is very good too for football. You always know what's going on and that's an overlooked key.

Up north, there's George Blaha who does Michigan State football.  He's also the longtime voice of the Detroit Pistons, though he does more TV now than radio for them.  Like his style a lot too.  Classic listen.

For baseball, this is a bit of a homer choice because I knew him while coming up in the industry.  But I really like Tom Hart.  He does a lot of SEC sports for ESPN, the College World Series, and MLB for ESPN Radio.  He's very versatile, knowledgeable, and calls a great game.

Otherwise I haven't found too many college baseball guys that I actually enjoy listening to.  Most of them tend to know hoops or football better and the pacing of baseball doesn't suit them well.  Of course that's my outlook only.  At it's core, the conversation is very subjective.

For example, I loved Rod on football and thought he was pretty good at hoops, but was not his biggest fan when it came to baseball.  Part of that is I think when he and Andy were on a broadcast together, they tended to get overtly homerish to the point of distracting from the game (especially if a borderline call went against AU).  It's just not a style that I enjoy.

ETA: I think Texas A&M just got a new guy.  I hope that's the case.  Their old broadcaster Dave South was like listening to Jim Bob call a high school game on the local station in the sticks.  It was awful.

I've always thought that David Kellum does a good job calling Ole Miss baseball. 

3 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

What I can't stand is when they would go on and on and on about umpiring.  Make your point once and then move on.  But too often that wasn't the case when Rod and Andy did games together and it got tedious to listen to.  It was as if Auburn could never do wrong and it always the ump's fault.  I actually had to stop listening to games just to avoid it

Rod made his point once and pretty loud. No doubt that Rod and Andy loved to critique umpiring but they moved on. You are the first I have ever heard say stopped listening due to the Auburn broadcast. Been listening a long time Brad.

Coached Creed a few times beginning with "coach pitch". Great youngster and family.

26 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Rod made his point once and pretty loud. No doubt that Rod and Andy loved to critique umpiring but they moved on. You are the first I have ever heard say stopped listening due to the Auburn broadcast. Been listening a long time Brad.

Coached Creed a few times beginning with "coach pitch". Great youngster and family.

Well we're likely coming from two very different points of view, which is understandable given my background.  I equate it to the time I watched an AU game with Jeff Blake while Emory was playing WR.  I was definitely watching as a fan, while he was watching from the perspective of an ex-NFL QB.  Just a very different outlook than what I had while watching that game.

I much prefer a more straight forward broadcast in the vein of Vin Scully or Jack Buck.

18 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I much prefer a more straight forward broadcast in the vein of Vin Scully or Jack Buck.

I can understand that Brad.

Prior to Tiger Talk and when the pioneer coach radio call in shows began, mid 80's, we had "Dialing Dye" on Thursday nights with JF as the host. A caller complained  about Jim's pxp bias one night.  After the call dye told Jim he "damn well better be biased". Those were great shows. Jim admitted in his book that he and Dye "mixed a toddy" and enjoyed the calls.

If it's McKnight, wouldn't word be out that Troy is looking for a new play by play announcer? Surely AU already knows who their guy is, just hasn't been announced yet.

28 minutes ago, CR said:

Surely AU already knows who their guy is, just hasn't been announced yet. 

My thought as well.

7 hours ago, triangletiger said:

I hear Beth Mowens is going to be our next play-by-play announcer.  😆

giphy.gif

14 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Van is an old fraternity brother of mine.  Ask him to do the Harry Carrey impression.  It’s pretty amazing.  Good dude.

Better yet... Have him call Auburn games as Harry Carray!!

He's at the 40...the 30...the 20.....it might be...it could be...IT IS.....Holy Cow!  Touch down Tigers!!

7 hours ago, triangletiger said:

I hear Beth Mowens is going to be our next play-by-play announcer.  😆

NimbleTornJapanesebeetle-small.gif

4 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Better yet... Have him call Auburn games as Harry Carray!!

He's at the 40...the 30...the 20.....Hey! Look at the babe in the 3rd row drinking a Bud!...it might be...it could be...IT IS.....Holy Cow!  Touch down Tigers!!

FIFY

It would be like listening to Golf call a game except subbing Bud with PBR.

Archived