Next Play-by-Play Broadcaster (Update 8/12: Andy Burcham)

tigeraddikt

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Paul is good on basketball & the best voice we have on baseball IMO. If it's between the 2 I prefer Paul for football TBH.

Paul has a very good radio voice for sure. I prefer his voice as well, although I have no idea which would do a better job calling the football games. Andy is not one of my favorite choices, but there's really no specific reason...just comes across as meh to me I guess.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

Paul has a very good radio voice for sure. I prefer his voice as well, although I have no idea which would do a better job calling the football games. Andy is not one of my favorite choices, but there's really no specific reason...just comes across as meh to me I guess.

I kinda of agree. Burcham doesn't seem to have that voice to fire off memorable plays that are occuring in the moment. He is smooth, but maybe a little too soft/smooth.

But it makes sense to give it to the guy if he really said he wanted it, and he has the most experience in the booth at all levels. Andy is in his mid 50's? Then he could do it for another 7-10 years and then Brad take over...

If it becomes fact soon...I guess we will see how it works out. I know I won't compare him to Rod as that's not fair to Andy. But I have learned over the years in any radio broadcast that you never know how well it will work out until they are in that seat and calling live sports...

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I kinda of agree. Burcham doesn't seem to have that voice to fire off memorable plays that are occuring in the moment. He is smooth, but maybe a little too soft/smooth.

But it makes sense to give it to the guy if he really said he wanted it, and he has the most experience in the booth at all levels. Andy is in his mid 50's? Then he could do it for another 7-10 years and then Brad take over...

If it becomes fact soon...I guess we will see how it works out. I know I won't compare him to Rod as that's not fair to Andy. But I have learned over the years in any radio broadcast that you never know how well it will work out until they are in that seat and calling live sports...

Yeah, would just have to take a wait and see approach. It may turn out that he's great.

4 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Andy is in his mid 50's? Then he could do it for another 7-10 years and then Brad take over...

Believe Andy is around 58. Plan is to have Brad take over relatively soon after he gets his feet wet with basketball. 

• 2 weeks later...

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

Please forgive my ignorance but are we supposed to know who "Brad" is or is his last name a secret?

I realize y'all had a convo about not revealing sources, etc, but then this Brad comes up... 

If y'all can't say, I understand.  I'm just curious.

Brad Law.  He's been on the network for quite a while now.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

Brad Law.  He's been on the network for quite a while now.

Thank you kindly! :cheers:

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Please forgive my ignorance but are we supposed to know who "Brad" is or is his last name a secret?

I realize y'all had a convo about not revealing sources, etc, but then this Brad comes up... 

If y'all can't say, I understand.  I'm just curious.

Brad Law is the host of the tailgate show and does the score updates. He took over for Paul Ellen at some point.

Got to talk to Barry McNight on Friday. I was very disappointed to hear he was never contacted, never interviewed, nothing.

Now Barry remained positive and upbeat about it, a complete class act, he just said Auburn wants to go in another direction. I was pretty disappointed, he spent most of the conversation cheering me up because Auburn doesn’t want him.

Again, class act and a great guy! Can’t understand why Auburn wouldn’t talk to him about the job.

20 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Got to talk to Barry McNight on Friday. I was very disappointed to hear he was never contacted, never interviewed, nothing.

Now Barry remained positive and upbeat about it, a complete class act, he just said Auburn wants to go in another direction. I was pretty disappointed, he spent most of the conversation cheering me up because Auburn doesn’t want him.

Again, class act and a great guy! Can’t understand why Auburn wouldn’t talk to him about the job.

Say Auburn makes a outside hire. They could get almost anyone they wanted in the country. Why would they get the Troy play by play guy?

50 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Brad Law is the host of the tailgate show and does the score updates. He took over for Paul Ellen at some point.

Thank you so much. :cheers:

34 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Say Auburn makes a outside hire. They could get almost anyone they wanted in the country. Why would they get the Troy play by play guy?

Well broadcasting hires don't work like football coaches.  A P5 job is a P5 job.  There are very few elite ones out there.  Guys get hired from the minor leagues to the majors all of the time when gigs open up.  But rarely do you see a major league / NFL broadcaster jump from one team to another.

I know a guy who just got hired by an FCS school.  He's only been doing high school and D3 up until now.  All about how the tape sounds.

My guess here is Barry didn't get a call because AU wants someone younger.  If they get the right guy, they have a broadcaster for the next 20-30 years.

38 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Well broadcasting hires don't work like football coaches.  A P5 job is a P5 job.  There are very few elite ones out there.  Guys get hired from the minor leagues to the majors all of the time when gigs open up.  But rarely do you see a major league / NFL broadcaster jump from one team to another.

I know a guy who just got hired by an FCS school.  He's only been doing high school and D3 up until now.  All about how the tape sounds.

My guess here is Barry didn't get a call because AU wants someone younger.  If they get the right guy, they have a broadcaster for the next 20-30 years.

Absolutely Tex! Glad we are on the same page her fam. It either will be Andy or like you said a younger outsider.

@GwillMac6 should take the job.  Your enthusiasm for a good play as well as bad play would be entertaining nonetheless.  Just what we need.  

1 minute ago, AUBwins said:

@GwillMac6 should take the job.  Your enthusiasm for a good play as well as bad play would be entertaining nonetheless.  Just what we need.  

ssdf.gif

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

ssdf.gif

After a Gatewood touchdown. 

playbyplay.gif

2 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

After a Gatewood touchdown. 

playbyplay.gif

erer.gif

9 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Better yet, @GwillMac6 should type out the in game Closed Captioning.

Announcer: "... he's at the 10, the 5, Touchdown!!"

GWM CC: "WOOOOOOOOOOO.... THAT'S A FREAKIN' TEEEEEEEEE-DEEEEEEEEE!!!!! WARRRRRR DAMMMMMMM EEEEEEAAGLLLLLLLEEEEE!!!!!!!!"

cat-typing-2.gif

16 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Is it safe to assume the new guy has been doing practice games with Stan White? There's gotta be some practice time to learn each other and get timing down. Personally, if it's between Burcham and Law, I'd rather listen to Law. That's based on short segments of course, way different from doing play by play.

5 minutes ago, CR said:

Is it safe to assume the new guy has been doing practice games with Stan White? There's gotta be some practice time to learn each other and get timing down. Personally, if it's between Burcham and Law, I'd rather listen to Law. That's based on short segments of course, way different from doing play by play.

I think it's a fair assumption.  Would be really hard to tell how the chemistry would work.  I'm with you though.  Hoping it's Law if it's between those two because I like his upside.  But I'm still concerned about pxp.  If you haven't done it before for football or basketball, I wouldn't suggest this being the place to cut your teeth.

10 minutes ago, CR said:

Andy has called Auburn sports well over 20 years. As mentioned earlier, he has called Auburn PPV football games, Spring games and baseball. He'll be just fine.

TV broadcasters get swapped every season, sometimes from game to game, so their timing is learned by which part they play.

My belief is Brad would have gotten it had he had experience, which is why he'll call basketball. When Andy is ready to step away, Brad will take over football.

2 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Andy has called Auburn sports well over 20 years. As mentioned earlier, he has called Auburn PPV football games, Spring games and baseball. He'll be just fine.

TV broadcasters get swapped every season, sometimes from game to game, so their timing is learned by which part they play.

My belief is Brad would have gotten it had he had experience, which is why he'll call basketball. When Andy is ready to step away, Brad will take over football.

Calling a football game on television is a far cry from calling one on the radio.  The level of detail you need to have in a radio pxp call is infinitely more difficult because you have to "paint the picture" for the viewer.  A TV broadcaster essentially just has to identify and sometimes silence is the best thing he/she can do.  Verne's call of the Kick 6 and how he laid out for over a minute after the score is a great piece of play by play that wouldn't fly on radio.

Here's some examples for the same play with the ball spotted at the opponents 41 yd line.

TV style play call - "Newton hands it off to Dyer and he'll go to his right and pick up about 3 on the play."

Radio style play call - "Newton comes to the line with two wideouts left and one to the far side.  Dyer is in the backfield to his right.  Snap back, handoff to Dyer up the middle now bouncing it out to his right.  He's across the 40 and taken down to the 38 for a pick up of three."

Essentially, TV is much easier.  The skills don't translate well and that's why most guys start in radio before moving to TV.  Much easier transition that way.

48 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Here's some examples for the same play with the ball spotted at the opponents 41 yd line.

TV style play call - "Newton hands it off to Dyer and he'll go to his right and pick up about 3 on the play."

Radio style play call - "Newton comes to the line with two wideouts left and one to the far side.  Dyer is in the backfield to his right.  Snap back, handoff to Dyer up the middle now bouncing it out to his right.  He's across the 40 and taken down to the 38 for a pick up of three."

Then there was Larry Munson's style...

(Insert gravelly smoker's voice below.)

"Their quarterback hands it to their running back and our linebacker hits their guy hard and stands on his throat with a hob-nailed boot.  I just broke my chair!  Look at the sugar falling out of the sky!!!"

....loved me some Larry but you had no clue who actually did what until the color guy spelled it out after the play, LOL!!

22 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Simply a stupendous, brilliant, deduction on your part. From here on out I will check with you before I post anything. You add so much intelligence and inside information  to the site, I’m really not worthy.

Thank you for helping me see the light!

Archived