2019 Juco Forward Javon Franklin Commits To AU!

Auburn Kev

Pearl's Tigers add juco transfer for 2019-20 basketball season
by Mark Murphy
31 minutes ago
Javon Franklin plans to play basketball for the Auburn Tigers. 

Auburn is adding another player to its 2019-20 basketball roster with Javon Franklin committing to the Tigers on Friday.

The six-foot-seven, 218-pound forward from Holmes (Mississippi) Community College and Parkview High in Little Rock told Inside the Auburn Tigers that he is going to play for the Tigers and plans to move to Auburn in June to begin classes.

“Auburn is the place I will be attending and I feel like it is a good fit for me,” Franklin said.

“I like the style of play and I like how Coach (Bruce) Pearl cares about his players,” Franklin said. “I also like how Coach Pearl uses his forwards.”

As a juco freshman Franklin averaged 10.8 points and 8.2 rebounds per game, but was only able to play in one game this season due to suffering a broken bone in his leg. He was recently cleared medically and will enroll at Auburn with three years of eligibility.

“I am not rushing into full contact yet,” said Franklin, who developed a reputation as a strong defender in high school and junior college. “I am working to get my quads and stuff back to normal. In a few more months I will be ready for full contact.”

Franklin was the MVP of Parkview High’s 2016-17 squad as he averaged 16 points, 8.7 rebounds per game playing for Al Flanigan, the father of Auburn assistant coach Wes Flanigan, who recruited Franklin for the Tigers.

Commenting on his official visit to Auburn this week, the prospect said, “I enjoyed everything and spent a lot of time with the coaches and they showed me a good time.”

Franklin, who graduated from junior college on May 10th, said that the coaches told him they will use him in a similar role they used Chuma Okeke this past season.

“I am excited and ready to go to work,” he said. “I think we are going to have another good team this year.”

Asked what other colleges he considered, Franklin said, “West Virginia, Memphis, ECU and Oklahoma State.”

Nice!!! 6'7 SF. I know nothing about his game but we could use somebody with those measurables.

I also like his offer list: Ole Miss, Memphis, West Virginia, Oklahoma State, East Carolina, and Arkansas. Some good programs were after him. How many years of eligibility does he have?

7 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Nice!!! 6'7 SF. I know nothing about his game but we could use somebody with those measurables.

I also like his offer list: Ole Miss, Memphis, West Virginia, Oklahoma State, East Carolina, and Arkansas. Some good programs were after him. How many years of eligibility does he have?

Three

2 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

Three

That's great news. He's like a late addition to our signing class consisting of no freshman last off-season.

I really like the looks of this guy. Think these are high school highlights. Not sure why he went the JUCO route as he looks like a stud. I imagine he'll go a long way in replacing Dunbar's production. Coaches saying they're going to use him in a Chuma role, though.

I May be reaching ... Wonder if this is telling regarding purifoy?  Thought we were looking for a 1 year transfer primarily... or he's a solid player which pearl also said he’d take

49 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

I May be reaching ... Wonder if this is telling regarding purifoy?  Thought we were looking for a 1 year transfer primarily... or he's a solid player which pearl also said he’d take

I wouldn't think it's related to Purifoy. Javon will be our 12th scholly spot, still have room for 1 more. I think it's more about Flanigan liking him a lot and adding depth to our wing spots. Gives roster flexibility too i.e. Doughty focusing solely on a backcourt position, etc.

I TRUST BRUCE AND THIS STAFF WHOLEHEARTEDLY WHEN IT COMES TO EVALS AND FINDING THESE DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH TYPES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This dude looks like a athletic specimen!!! WOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WAR EAGLE BAY BAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!

1 hour ago, mustache eagle said:

1 hour ago, theallseeingfan said:

I wouldn't think it's related to Purifoy. Javon will be our 12th scholly spot, still have room for 1 more. I think it's more about Flanigan liking him a lot and adding depth to our wing spots. Gives roster flexibility too i.e. Doughty focusing solely on a backcourt position, etc.

Actually Pearl made it pretty clear in an interview the other day at SEC Media days. He was looking for an Athletic forward to replace Chuma since the staff went into this past season not expecting Chuma to leave early. When it was apparent Chuma could realistically leave early, as AU, we can't just jump in a recruitment late to get a quick fix from the best high school recruits in the country a la Duke, UNC, UK so we have to look to the transfer market to replace unexpected departures. Franklin is Chuma's replacement, at least from a roster spot perspective.

Definitely handsome enough to play for Bruce and AU. Hopefully young Steven locks him in the gym and refines that shooting stroke into a downtown sniping machine 

Jay G. Tate • AuburnSports.com

Bruce Pearl said earlier this week that he was searching for at least one more player to augment his 2019-20 roster.

He snagged one Friday.

Forward 

, a 6-foot-7 forward from Holmes (Miss.) Community College, on Friday announced his intention to play with the Tigers next season.

"Auburn is a great fit for me," Franklin said. "I know I will enjoy it for the next three years."

Franklin made his decision after taking an official visit to Auburn.

"It was my second trip to Auburn and everything went really good," Franklin said. "I enjoyed everything."

The Little Rock, Ark., native missed most of 2018-19 with a broken leg, but recently regained medical clearance. He's scheduled to officially report to Auburn on Monday with three years of eligibility remaining.

"I love their style of play," Franklin said. "It’s up and down. And I love how they use the forwards and I love how they’ll use me like Chuma (Okeke). I can't wait to get back on Monday."

Franklin, who is 6-foot-7 and weighs 218 pounds, averaged 10.8 points and 8.2 rebounds per game as a freshman while shooting 63 percent from the floor. He was an excellent penetrator who finished well against contact, but shot just 60 percent from the free-throw line. He also was just 1-of-6 from long range that season.

He looked mighty tentative in this video after coming back from injury, so he’s gotta ways to go before contact b-ball. His hs film looks sound though. I trust CBP and Flanagan in their evaluation.

9 hours ago, Tiger said:

Looks like he has a nice handle, if he can shoot or develop into a shooter.....you'll have an ideal NBA prototype small forward

4 hours ago, toddc said:

He looked mighty tentative in this video after coming back from injury, so he’s gotta ways to go before contact b-ball. His hs film looks sound though. I trust CBP and Flanagan in their evaluation.

What I take from that video is him barely jumping damn near from a vertical and dunking with ease.....

Archived