No alcchol sales at JHS

aubiefifty

theplainsman.com

Report: Auburn will not sell alcohol at Jordan-Hare this season

Last Updated 15 hours ago

4-5 minutes

The Southeastern Conference has revised its alcohol policy — but not all schools are required to follow suit.

With the rule change approved during the SEC spring meetings this week — a policy adopted Friday that will be made effective August 1 — each school now has the autonomy to determine whether its athletic venues will serve beer and wine in general seating. This will not affect the existing policy that currently permits the purchase of alcohol in VIP suites and private club areas.

“Our policy governing alcohol sales has been a source of considerable discussion and respectful debate among our member universities in recent years,” said SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey in a statement.  “As a Conference, we have been observant of trends in the sale and consumption of alcohol at collegiate sporting events and have drawn upon the experiences and insights of our member schools which have responsibly established limited alcohol sales within controlled spaces and premium seating areas.  We remain the only conference to set forth league-wide standards for the responsible management of the sale of alcoholic beverages.”

According to Sports Illustrated's Ross Dellenger, Auburn is among four SEC schools that will not adopt the new policy this upcoming football season — for now.

Auburn University president Steven Leath said at the spring meetings that Auburn fans should expect "no changes" in Jordan-Hare Stadium this season, according to a report from Brandon Marcello of 247Sports.

"I would expect no changes this season, and there will be a thoughtful process before we make any decisions," Leath said. "Sometime in the future (we'll discuss it), and it would have to be an inclusive process where we engage the board (of trustees), fans, stakeholders."

Auburn's Board of Trustees next meet June 7. The conference's alcohol policy is not currently on the docket.

Get The Plainsman straight to your inbox.

"President Leath, along with the majority of SEC presidents, voted in favor of giving member schools the autonomy to decide about alcohol sales in their respective athletics venues under guidelines set by the conference," a University spokesperson told The Plainsman. "If Auburn chooses to make any changes in alcohol sales at its athletic facilities, it would do so through a thoughtful, deliberative process to consider carefully the impacts on health, safety and the overall fan experience.

When asked to confirm the 247Sports report that Auburn will not provide general-seating alcohol sales this coming football season, the spokesperson told The Plainsman, "no decision has been made."

The conference said it will review the results of the new ruling each year and update the policy as needed.

Do you like this story? The Plainsman doesn't accept money from tuition or student fees, and we don't charge a subscription fee. But you can donate to support The Plainsman.

Support The Plainsman

• WarTiger changed the title to No alcchol sales at JHS

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

I don't think Alcchol should ever be sold in Jordan-Hare.

Looks like someone shoulda laid off the Alcchol before typing this article 😅

When people become responsible enough to clean up their tailgating  messes then that would be the time when I would be okay with on campus alcohol sales. Every time I'm on campus for a game it's saddening to see how our/my campus is trashed.

42 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Why? Never had a sip of alcohol in my life so this does not effect me one way or another but this would generate even more money for AU and the Athletic program. With how cheap the boosters are when it comes to a Football Only facility we need any added source of income we can generate it seems like.

It will affect you when an Auburn fan or rival fan, indulging hardcore at the game decides to pick a fight over some trivial matter and somebody gets hurt.

Drinking at games has been going on forever but it’s always been limited - you can only sneak in so much through the gates so nobody is getting plastered at the game only. The drunks who get in the game are typically kicked out by the cops soon after the game starts or they pass out soon after. Some people can get creative - I once was able to get a whole 750 ml of Crown Royal into the 2008 LSU game - but usually you share that with everyone. This selling at the game is a recipe for disaster and I’m glad I can still attend an Auburn game without getting sucker punched because I’m cheering for my team. I will not be attending any games at away stadiums where alcohol is being served freely.

People who want alcohol at games bring it in anyways and poor it into their cokes. So their not gonna pay high dollar for it anyways. It is just a way to fleece the boosters.

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Why? Never had a sip of alcohol in my life so this does not effect me one way or another but this would generate even more money for AU and the Athletic program. With how cheap the boosters are when it comes to a Football Only facility we need any added source of income we can generate it seems like.

4 hours ago, lca408 said:

It will affect you when an Auburn fan or rival fan, indulging hardcore at the game decides to pick a fight over some trivial matter and somebody gets hurt.

Drinking at games has been going on forever but it’s always been limited - you can only sneak in so much through the gates so nobody is getting plastered at the game only. The drunks who get in the game are typically kicked out by the cops soon after the game starts or they pass out soon after. Some people can get creative - I once was able to get a whole 750 ml of Crown Royal into the 2008 LSU game - but usually you share that with everyone. This selling at the game is a recipe for disaster and I’m glad I can still attend an Auburn game without getting sucker punched because I’m cheering for my team. I will not be attending any games at away stadiums where alcohol is being served freely.

giphy.gif

12 hours ago, lca408 said:

Because pro sports and other venues which serve alcohol as just bastions for violence and fight club. /s

If you are so scared that drinking at a sporting event causes you to avoid the event, you have a  problem/irrational fear. 

I get plenty intoxicated before the game. The game allows me a few hours to sober up enough to make it to my hotel. This won’t affect me much at all and I’m all for alcohol. I don’t care if they sell or don’t. 

drinking is all fun and games until the cat behind you pukes all over your back. and yes i have seen it happen.

13 hours ago, lca408 said:

Thanks....out of "likes" so will have to post my agreement.   Even with the limited alcohol at football games, I've been around enough drunks who don't handle their booze well.  

JMO but money income is the worst possible justification. 

Been to 100’s of sporting events, alcohol sales don’t change the fact that some people will always be dumb asses.  Those that pre-party too hard is always gonna happen.  A couple of beers is not gonna change that.  Sneaking shots of booze is an actual problem.  Allowing overly intoxicated people into the stadium that legally fall under the drunk in public criteria is a real issue.  Responsible adults wanting to have  a beer or two should not be punished for public safety failures by police and event staff.  Having a few beer stands is fine.  Having a beer garden promotes over drinking as does vending it.  

If they really wanted to slow drinking at games stop selling coke, lemonade and anything flavored.  They are all enablers for the liquor.  The fact is that they really don’t want too.

The money generated from low alcohol percentage beer sales could fund increased security that'd limit people from sneaking in tons of liquour into the games. That's the real problem imo. The people who are obnoxious and plastered are the people drinking 6-10 jack and cokes during the game and throwing the empty miniatures into the toilet

If alcohol enhances some people's game day experience then okay. If alcohol causes someone to ruin someone else's game day experience it's not okay. 

34B1FC13-65C2-40E3-82E4-AF658CB9B3E7.png

Meanwhile in Troy, they’re serving alcohol in in their stadium.

Ladd-Peebles Stadium, where South Alabama currently plays at, sells alcohol in the stadium during home games & during the Dollar General (or whatever it’s called) Bowl.

By selling alcohol in both of their stadiums (in our own state), both Troy & South have a nice revenue stream going on.

I don’t drink all that much, especially in the daytime & especially during the beginning of football season at day games  when it’s very hot, but I’m actually not against alcohol being served throughout the rest of Jordan-Hare Stadium when it comes to a revenue standpoint. That money could potentially go towards keeping JHS up-to-date, expanding the North End Zone, better Gameday experiences (?), security upgrades, etc. I also haven’t forgotten that fans & some students are already sneaking alcohol into Jordan-Hare anyway, plus it’s already being served in our suites.

I also have a cool idea: Recovery areas. Let’s say I had too much to drink, I really don’t trust myself driving home & I’m lit like a Christmas tree. I can go to that area & sober up, charge up my phone, drink water, eat some snacks, whatever. Alcohol wouldn’t be allowed in those areas period & you have to turn in your keys. The attendants will give you your keys back when you get ready to go home.

3 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Been to 100’s of sporting events, alcohol sales don’t change the fact that some people will always be dumb asses.  Those that pre-party too hard is always gonna happen.  A couple of beers is not gonna change that.  Sneaking shots of booze is an actual problem.  Allowing overly intoxicated people into the stadium that legally fall under the drunk in public criteria is a real issue.  Responsible adults wanting to have  a beer or two should not be punished for public safety failures by police and event staff.  Having a few beer stands is fine.  Having a beer garden promotes over drinking as does vending it.  

If they really wanted to slow drinking at games stop selling coke, lemonade and anything flavored.  They are all enablers for the liquor.  The fact is that they really don’t want too.

They are enabling liquor by not allowing it in the stadium, so let’s just sell it anyway? Is that your position ? 

Good gravy. Alcohol is sold at every professional sporting event in this country and a lot of amateur ones, too, and folks manage just fine. As @auburnphansays, the same folks are going to try to tie on a good buzz before the game starts no matter what. And those are the folks who cause problems at stadiums that are wet and at stadiums that are dry. (Not all of them, of course.)

Missed opportunity here.

I think people want to complain just to complain now. If we sell alcohol, people will complain. If we don’t sell alcohol , people will complain. We didn’t sell alcohol before and the sky didn’t fall. Hopefully, they allow alcohol, so at the very least we get respite from some of the wailing. And yes I realize I am wailing about wailers. 

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think people want to complain just to complain now. If we sell alcohol, people will complain. If we don’t sell alcohol , people will complain. We didn’t sell alcohol before and the sky didn’t fall. Hopefully, they allow alcohol, so at the very least we get respite from some of the wailing. And yes I realize I am wailing about wailers. 

I'm willing to bet the complainers are a small vocal minority......I mean who wants to take their kids to a football game and have some drunk down the row shouting obscenities  during the game if you have a bunch of drinking and behavior issues, those who object have not defense...security is not going to do anything about some fan making everyone around him/her miserable. 

we definitely need more of this...

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

I'm willing to bet the complainers are a small vocal minority......I mean who wants to take their kids to a football game and have some drunk down the row shouting obscenities  during the game if you have a bunch of drinking and behavior issues, those who object have not defense...security is not going to do anything about some fan making everyone around him/her miserable. 

I've taken my kid to numerous sporting events where alcohol was sold. I've also been to numerous sporting events, mainly Auburn games,  where alcohol was not sold and people were inebriated anyway and caused problems.

Maybe some of y'all just don't get out much?

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Honestly I have no right to complain . I live up north . It doesn’t affect me one way or another. I will say it just gives people more reason to be mad at Auburn. Therefore, I am for alcohol sales in the stadium , if it gives people one less thing to complain about on Aunation lol. I just think it’s getting to the point , where people are taking things way too personal. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I've taken my kid to numerous sporting events where alcohol was sold. I've also been to numerous sporting events, mainly Auburn games,  where alcohol was not sold and people were inebriated anyway and caused problems.

Maybe some of y'all just don't get out much?

Actually I get out plenty....and I do know that easy access creates more opportunity for abuse.  At least in a bar, someone is responsible to keep up with over consumption.....not so much at sporting events.  

Just saying....I've been to games, seen the drunks carrying on ruining the experience....why should I have to pay good/serious money for a ticket and be subjected to that? 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

They are enabling liquor by not allowing it in the stadium, so let’s just sell it anyway? Is that your position ? 

Nope.  My point was they have never really tried to stop liquor being snuck in so don't act like beer is going to be a bad thing.  It is a fake look good stance.

Archived