Patrick Nix Memories

StatTiger

How great the opportunity to see the son of Patrick Nix, playing the very same position his father made history. Nearly 25 years ago we witnessed Bo's father playing his senior year at Auburn, finishing his two-year reign as the starting quarterback. Patrick Nix carried the torch of successful quarterback play, revived by Jeff Burger in 1986. Auburn was fortunate to have an extended period of multiple quarterbacks, who led Auburn to success on the football field. This string of success included the performance of Patrick Nix during the 1994 and 1995 seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xZT2nDj3Z8

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Love 1

I loved that set of receivers. 

To me, Thomas Bailey was underappreciated...which wasn't hard playing with Sanders 

I wish we would take those route concepts and marry them with Malzahn's run game.

• Like 9

From what I've seen of Bo Nix's high school videos he is his dad reincarnated and he can run too. Really looking forward to him taking the field for AU. I know a lot of folks on here are Joey Gatewood fans but his passing does not compare to Bo's IMO. May the best man win. I think it would be neat if Gus can incorporate a scheme that both are on the field at the same time. That should give opposing defenses something to think about! Can't wait for the season to start.!!

WDE

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, StatTiger said:

How great the opportunity to see the son of Patrick Nix, playing the very same position his father made history. Nearly 25 years ago we witnessed Bo's father playing his senior year at Auburn, finishing his two-year reign as the starting quarterback. Patrick Nix carried the torch of successful quarterback play, revived by Jeff Burger in 1986. Auburn was fortunate to have an extended period of multiple quarterbacks, who led Auburn to success on the football field. This string of success included the performance of Patrick Nix during the 1994 and 1995 seasons.

Thanks Stat for all you do.Loved watching the Pat Nix video. I think his son will do great things for our team.also.

WDE!!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Slammer1 said:

From what I've seen of Bo Nix's high school videos he is his dad reincarnated and he can run too. Really looking forward to him taking the field for AU. I know a lot of folks on here are Joey Gatewood fans but his passing does not compare to Bo's IMO. May the best man win. I think it would be neat if Gus can incorporate a scheme that both are on the field at the same time. That should give opposing defenses something to think about! Can't wait for the season to start.!!

WDE

Speaking for myself, I'm not sure it's all about just being a Gatewood fan over Bo in general.  Rather in just going by the history of what type QB's seem to make Gus' offenses roll best, Joey is the prototype.  I know it's been hashed and rehashed over the last few years, so I'm not trying to start THAT thread derailment again, but in a different type offense I might be team Bo.  I actually would love to see him in an Oklahoma style O.  Reminds me a bit of Baker Mayfield with his Alpha Male swagger (but maybe a bit more disciplined).

6 hours ago, Slammer1 said:

Really looking forward to him taking the field for AU. I know a lot of folks on here are Joey Gatewood fans but his passing does not compare to Bo's IMO

No it doesn’t. Bo’s running doesn’t compare to Gatewood’s either. Two different levels in passing and two different levels in running. 

19 hours ago, Slammer1 said:

Thanks Stat for all you do.Loved watching the Pat Nix video. I think his son will do great things for our team.also.

WDE!!!

Glad you enjoyed it.

My fondest memory is having him and takeo sign the same hat when I was a kid....have several others on it also

• Like 2

As a kid my granddaddy took me to basketball and football games. We were down for a basketball game, early as always, and walking toward us was Patrick Nix. He must have saw the glow and excitement of this 11 year old kid, stopped us, talked about football, my grades, and how I’d never forget my granddaddy taking me to all the games. Those memories, particularly the 5 minutes he chatted with us, are some of the best of my childhood.

If you’ve never seen the DVD series “Auburn Football Legends,” it is worth it just to listen to Nix. He was the most heartfelt and emotional speaker on the series (though I may be a bit biased). You'll well up when he talks about him and his dad walking down the ramp after breaking the losing streak to Bama.

On 6/2/2019 at 8:35 AM, StatTiger said:

You really have some Ausome vids, Stat..

The TD just before halftime vs uat in 93 and vs Florida 94 two of the biggest plays ever.

Edited by wde1968
  • Like 2

On 6/2/2019 at 9:45 AM, bigbird said:

To me, Thomas Bailey was underappreciated...which wasn't hard playing with Sanders 

I wish we would take those route concepts and marry them with Malzahn's run game.

Totally agree felt the same about TE Jessie McCovery............during that stretch FB,RB,TE,WR all used often in the passing game and depth in each.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Totally agree felt the same about TE Jessie McCovery............during that stretch FB,RB,TE,WR all used often in the passing game and depth in each.

Tot did some great things for the Au passing game and offense in general. His downfall was recruiting midget scat backs and linemen that couldnt run block. At least from my recollection.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, twilli13 said:

Tot did some great things for the Au passing game and offense in general. His downfall was recruiting midget scat backs and linemen that couldnt run block. At least from my recollection.

His offense was fun to watch until he ran out of top level recruits

On 6/2/2019 at 10:45 AM, bigbird said:

Loved Bailey, and Sanders. Frank would just literally take the ball away from defenders. Early in that 94 game at Florida field,  I knew Auburn was going to give Florida all they wanted that day simply by Bailey's body language. It was evident we had come to play.

• Like 2

I’m pulling for Bo and Joey both. There are going to be opposing teams that have a great front 7 and other teams that have a great group of DBs , between the both of them AU can be successful against any team. Why limit yourself. Joey will also be an ideal wildcat won’t even need to swap personnel. If we are down in final quarter then run your air game, ahead run your ground out game. If these guys are as team oriented as they seem they will be happy to work together. I remember a team from west Vance that used JH and Tua in a dual capacity and it worked out well. I just hope Gus can find a way to use both enough to keep both happy here at AU. War Eagle.

13 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I’m pulling for Bo and Joey both. There are going to be opposing teams that have a great front 7 and other teams that have a great group of DBs , between the both of them AU can be successful against any team. Why limit yourself. Joey will also be an ideal wildcat won’t even need to swap personnel. If we are down in final quarter then run your air game, ahead run your ground out game. If these guys are as team oriented as they seem they will be happy to work together. I remember a team from west Vance that used JH and Tua in a dual capacity and it worked out well. I just hope Gus can find a way to use both enough to keep both happy here at AU. War Eagle.

And JG played in this two qb system in hs, so you might be on to something here! I will say though that 2qb systems aren’t my favorite thing..

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1

On 6/2/2019 at 7:38 PM, johnnyAU said:

Man, that group of Saunders, Baker, Goodson, Fuller was pretty darn good. I had forgotten. 

Sanders and Baker never played together.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Sanders and Baker never played together.

That's why I followed up that post with this one.

On 6/2/2019 at 7:48 PM, johnnyAU said:

My apologies to Bailey

I had typed Baker instead.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, johnnyAU said:

That's why I followed up that post with this one.

I had typed Baker instead.

5 days after you type it and...

tenor.gif

• Haha 1