Moving on to North Carolina

UNC is a good offensive team with complimentary pitching and defense. They weren’t as good at Ga Tech during the regular season. We have a real good shot if we keep playing like we are.

Welcoming home the Tigers!

E2A869D1-7D95-4D3D-AE06-D4D99824E6EA.jpeg

65400A18-E726-43E9-9C62-35C57055D8EE.jpeg

BDA424BC-56BC-4A72-B048-1768E65DF87C.jpeg

D92C4552-1F36-48C9-820D-FEAAF609D06A.jpeg

My wife being UNC alum, I'm hearing many Tar Heels talking revenge for our 17 point punking/mauling of them in the NCAA basketball tournament this Spring. (It will be hard to get any sweeter than that!)

I watched them a little this weekend. They have some solid hitters in the lineup. Two guys, Busch and Sabato, are big power guys in the middle of their lineup. Starting pitching looked pretty good, although I’ve talked to some UNC fans that say their pitching has been inconsistent. They aren’t a great fielding team, fielding .965 in conference play. 

Overall, they’re a talented team that will put a lot of talented players on the field and the mound. They’re probably more talented top to bottom than we are. So, we’re going to have to play well. But there are much worse matchups in the supers for us than UNC. I think we can win this series, but it certainly won’t be easy. 

5 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Would like to hear from those of you “in the know” your analysis of North Carolina and Auburn’s chances.

At the plate, they're a lot like us. They've had some trouble hitting the ball except for Aaron Sobato who absolutely rakes. Hits .341, OBP of 0.452, slugs .677 and oh by the way has hit 16 HRs this season. Tennessee coach, Tony Vitello called Sobato "...the best hitter in the whole dang regional..." this past weekend. They have one other guy who has also hit 16 home runs on the year, Michael Busch, who hits .290 and has an OBP/SLG of .441/.567,  but other than that, no one in double digits for HRs. Everyone in their lineup does have home run power, except for one batter, as their average batter has probably hit around 6-8 home runs, but with the way we limited Georgia Tech's offense for only one long ball this weekend, it tells me we are doing a good job of keeping it down and missing barrels. 

They hit .273 as a team so I would say their offense is fairly average. 

It looks as if they excel on the mound. They've got 6 guys who have thrown 20 innings or more who have an ERA under 4.

Tyler Baum, Joey Lancelotti, and Austin Love look to be their three starting pitchers, 

Baum is 7-3 with a 3.95 ERA in 86.2 IP.

Austin Bergner is 6-1 with a 5.21 ERA in 77.2 IP

Austin Love, who is 7-4 with a 3.23 ERA in 61.1 IP.

I'm not sure on that, as they've actually got another guy, Joey Lancelotti, who is 6-2 with a 2.08 ERA in 52.0 IP, but he may be their midweek guy or something like that, as Bergner got the start against Tennessee in the regional final on Sunday.

I've only done some basic stats research so I couldn't tell you exactly who they'll throw, but they do have some impressive numbers from their pitching staff. 

when is the game?

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

At the plate, they're a lot like us. They've had some trouble hitting the ball except for Aaron Sobato who absolutely rakes. Hits .341, OBP of 0.452, slugs .677 and oh by the way has hit 16 HRs this season. Tennessee coach, Tony Vitello called Sobato "...the best hitter in the whole dang regional..." this past weekend. They have one other guy who has also hit 16 home runs on the year, Michael Busch, who hits .290 and has an OBP/SLG of .441/.567,  but other than that, no one in double digits for HRs. Everyone in their lineup does have home run power, except for one batter, as their average batter has probably hit around 6-8 home runs, but with the way we limited Georgia Tech's offense for only one long ball this weekend, it tells me we are doing a good job of keeping it down and missing barrels. 

They hit .273 as a team so I would say their offense is fairly average. 

It looks as if they excel on the mound. They've got 6 guys who have thrown 20 innings or more who have an ERA under 4.

Tyler Baum, Joey Lancelotti, and Austin Love look to be their three starting pitchers, 

I'm not sure on that, as they've actually got another guy, Joey Lancelotti, who is 6-2 with a 2.08 ERA in 52.0 IP, but he may be their midweek guy or something like that, as Bergner got the start against Tennessee in the regional final on Sunday.

I've only done some basic stats research so I couldn't tell you exactly who they'll throw, but they do have some impressive numbers from their pitching staff. 

Something I found interesting is looking at their conference vs overall stats. Their stats in ACC play are very similar to ours in all three phases. They're a little more error-prone than we are (74 on the year vs our 62). I think it's a fairly evenly matched series. We definitely could've drawn worse.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

when is the game?

Don’t believe a schedule has been announced yet. Probably will be announced tonight or tomorrow. 

7 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

They've got a ton of right handed, low to mid-90's fastball, power arms.  I won't say we match up well with any pitching staff, given our offensive failings, but our biggest weakness is against guys who command the off speed stuff.  The lefty/righty match-up may help Williams and Julien (whose run production has mostly disappeared of late).  UNC has two left handed pitchers on their staff....

16 hours ago, boomstick said:

Don’t believe a schedule has been announced yet. Probably will be announced tonight or tomorrow. 

Per Jason Caldwell,

Game 1 - Saturday at Noon, ESPN2

Game 2 - Sunday, time and viewing TBD

Game 3 - Monday at Noon, ESPN2

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Auburn-North-Carolina-super-regional-dates-TV-times-132572946/

Auburn-North Carolina super regional set for Saturday-Monday

ByJASON CALDWELL 

8420513.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs Michael Busch and North Carolina will be a tough test. (Photo: Jim Hawkins/Inside Carolina)

AUBURN, Alabama--Winning the Atlanta Regional last weekend at Georgia Tech, the Auburn Tigers (36-25) will have another ACC road challenge for the super regional round when Coach Butch Thompson’s team travels to Chapel Hill to face the North Carolina Tar Heels in a three-game series with a berth in the College World Series on the line.

The super regional gets underway at 11 a.m.  CDT on Saturday on ESPN. Game two will be on ESPN on Sunday with the game time TBD. If a Monday game is needed it will take place at noon CDT and will be shown on ESPN2.

That extra day of rest should allow Auburn's pitching to set up well for the regional with sophomore left-handed pitcher Jack Owen in game one and redshirt sophomore Bailey Horn for game two, keeping junior lefty Elliott Anderson available out of the bullpen if needed in either of the first two games.

With a record of 45-17 overall and 17-13 in ACC play, North Carolina has been to beat at home with a record of 34-6 this season at Boshamer Stadium. One of the reasons for that is an extremely deep pitching staff and power at the plate.

Coming off a three-game sweep at home in last week’s regional, North Carolina enters the series vs. the Tigers with a team ERA of 4.14 and has 545 strikeouts as a staff compared to just 242 walks.

Leading the way is second round draft pick Tyler Baum. Going 66th overall to the Oakland A's, the junior RHP is 7-3 with a 3.95 ERA in 15 starts this season. With 96 strikeouts in 86 2/3 innings and only 25 walks, Baum has allowed 90 hits on the year. Joining him in the starting rotation last weekend were freshman LHP Will Sandy (2-2, 5.77) on Saturday and junior RHP Austin Bergner (6-1, 5.21) in game three.

Out of the bullpen RSr. RHP Hansen Butler (5-0, 1.80) has been outstanding in 19 appearances this season with teams batting just .176 against him. Joey Lancellotti (soph. RHP) and Austin Love (RFr. RHP) have combined for 13 wins and eight saves on the year in 59 combined appearances.

*** Get 30% off as a subscriber to get the latest Auburn recruiting and team scoops ***

*** Get FREE Auburn breaking news in your inbox ***

At the plate North Carolina is batting. 273 as a team, but has 75 home runs. That is the third-most in history under Coach Mike Fox. 

Leading the charge is true freshman Aaron Sabato. Currently batting .341, Sabato has been an extra-base hit machine with 16 home runs and 23 doubles this year. A first round selection going 31st overall to the Dodgers, lefty Michael Busch is one of the most talented hitters in the country. He is batting .290 with 16 home runs and 57 RBI on the season. 

Behind the two big bombers this North Carolina offense has depth with six more players having at least five home runs on the season and nine having at least 25 runs batted in.

June 8 - 11 a.m. CDT -(ESPN2)

June 9 - TBD  (ESPN)

June 10 --noon CDT  if necessary (ESPN2)

According to Jeff Shearer, Jack Owen and Bailey Horn will be starting games 1 & 2 for Auburn. 

Is Tanner hurt or has Bailey just been that good enough to win the start Saturday?

Assuming we would throw Tanner Sunday? 

13 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

According to Jeff Shearer, Jack Owen and Bailey Horn will be starting games 1 & 2 for Auburn. 

Is Tanner hurt or has Bailey just been that good enough to win the start Saturday?

Assuming we would throw Tanner Sunday? 

Tanner is having issues with his shoulder. Butch said postgame Saturday night that they don't think he trusts his shoulder. He had an MRI and everything came back structurally fine. Sounds like tendinitis. Butch said he might be available out of the bullpen in a short outing this weekend. Could use him to close out a game if we've already used Greenhill or use Burns for an inning to shorten a second outing for Greenhill.

Was told Butch said he may not pitch the rest of the season. I have not read or heard Butch say this. Anyone have any other info? 

Owen and Horn are scheduled to start games 1 & 2 this weekend. 

10 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Was told Butch said he may not pitch the rest of the season. I have not read or heard Butch say this. Anyone have any other info? 

Owen and Horn are scheduled to start games 1 & 2 this weekend. 

Butch said at his presser today that if Tanner pitches this weekend it will be in a 1 inning spot. Rotation is Owen, Horn, & TBA.

On 6/4/2019 at 5:08 PM, toddc said:

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Auburn-North-Carolina-super-regional-dates-TV-times-132572946/

Auburn-North Carolina super regional set for Saturday-Monday

ByJASON CALDWELL 

8420513.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs Michael Busch and North Carolina will be a tough test. (Photo: Jim Hawkins/Inside Carolina)

I hate that color.

21 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

I hate that color.

It’s hard to make baby powder blue look cool! 😝 

2 hours ago, AUGoo said:

I have never forgiven Dean Smith for the Four corners Offense.

Yes but he did help develop & thus give us the G.O.A.T.!...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

17 hours ago, AUGoo said:

I hate that color.

I actually love Carolina blue. But, I am in touch with my feminine side.....

20 hours ago, ellitor said:

Butch said at his presser today that if Tanner pitches this weekend it will be in a 1 inning spot. Rotation is Owen, Horn, & TBA.

Let's hope TBA forever remains a mystery....

8 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Let's hope TBA forever remains a mystery....

I'd prefer it be mystery til our 3rd game of the CWS instead of forever. Forever means either UNC swept us or we swept them & then lost 2 & out at the CWS.

Archived