2021 5* QB Brock Vandagriff (UGA)

GwillMac6

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chad Simmons • Rivals

Rivals.com is set to release its initial Rivals100 for the 2021 class in a couple of weeks, and 

is a prospect you can expect to see high on that list.

The signal caller out of Bogart (Ga.) Prince Avenue Christian has won MVP awards at the Atlanta stop of the Rivals 3 Stripe Camp presented by adidas in back-to-back years, so Rivals.com knows all about him.

College coaches do, too. He picked up numerous offers as a freshman, and Vandagriff is further along than some in his class. Quarterbacks are committing earlier and earlier these days with most schools only taking one per class. He has now eliminated a long list of programs and cut it down to six.

Below, Vandagriff names his six, tells you why each made the cut and when a decision could be made.

IN HIS OWN WORDS  

Thank you to each and every school that has taken the time to recruit me and offer me a scholarship to their program. At this time I will be narrowing down my recruitment to six schools. These six have stood out from the rest. I look forward to furthering relationships with these coaches and getting to know the universities better.

My six are as follows and are listed in alphabetic order: Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Georgia, Oklahoma and Tennessee.

AUBURN

I have had to throw my feelings out of the window with Auburn. I grew up a die-hard Auburn fan, and loved going to watch them play every season, as we had season tickets. I have had to look at who will be the best fit for Brock Vandagriff the quarterback, not Brock Vandagriff the Auburn fan. I will be interested to see how coach Gus Malzahn develops either 

or 

, considering neither of them have started a collegiate game yet.

CLEMSON

One may ask, how is Clemson in my top six when they haven’t even offered? It is impossible to overlook the success they have had in the last few years. They are doing it the right way, too. Coach Dabo Swinney does not offer any QBs until the summer going into their junior year. I do not question that in any way, because it has obviously worked. The location is perfect. I love what they have going on there.

FLORIDA

Florida has been putting the heat on lately. I like UF, but didn’t really think they wanted me. That all changed since spring. Coach Brian Johnson made two trips to the school, and really expressed the interest they have for me. He also made a video presentation of some plays from my film, and then plays from their offense. He was showing me the similarities of my game, and how I would fit in their offense. Coach Dan Mullen is an offensive guru. He critiqued my throwing and told me some things to take home and work on. That means he cares. I like the campus and love what they are doing there.

GEORGIA

Georgia is special. They are 10 minutes from the house. I love the location. Coach James Coley is a great guy, as well. The scavenger hunt they had two weekends ago was a blast. They make me feel like family when I am there and am welcome at anytime. Georgia is all business. All work. I like that atmosphere, because I want someone who will grow me as a football player as well as a man.

OKLAHOMA

The first thing that stood out about Oklahoma is Lincoln Riley. He really believes in me. I am the only QB he has offered in my class. That is special. He came to watch me play basketball and informed my dad I had an offer on the spot. The visit to OU was surreal. Coach Riley was our actual tour guide. I am ready to get back to OU this weekend and toss the rock.

TENNESSEE

Tennessee is in my top six because I like the environment coach Jeremy Pruitt has built. He is steadily changing the culture of Rocky Top. Coach Chris Weinke is a great guy, and a guy I would like to continue to coach me throughout college. I like the location and I have family that lives in Knoxville, which is another plus.

IN CLOSING...

I have given this to God through prayer and firmly believe He will guide me with the best choice. No looking back after that. At this time I will pursue a relationship with these schools and look for a home that is best for me.

Once again I want to thank all of you for believing in me!

-BV 12

Auburn Legacy. His mom went to AU.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

AUBURN

I have had to throw my feelings out of the window with Auburn. I grew up a die-hard Auburn fan, and loved going to watch them play every season, as we had season tickets. I have had to look at who will be the best fit for Brock Vandagriff the quarterback, not Brock Vandagriff the Auburn fan. I will be interested to see how coach Gus Malzahn develops either 

or 

, considering neither of them have started a collegiate game yet.

Kid seems smart

He ain't comin here unless we have another coach who has enough of a track record to sell him on things. Kid grew up an AU fan but recognizes he needs to view this decision as a quarterback and I think him being aware of that in itself means he knows all about Gus' record of developing QBs as he touched on the QB development aspect of things.

Wait and see with AU. Clemson is the one who is coming on. He will get that offer soon. If our QB's look good, then we are in a good spot. If it's a mess then it's ober eraly and uga jumps in at #2 spot when Clemson moves into the #1 spot.

He is also monitoring the OL recruiting.

All seems reasonable. If Gatewood looks good and we land Zierer, I'd expect us to jump to the top of the list. I don't think this is wildly different than Bo Nix. Do the job, and this recruitment goes pretty smoothly.

Just now, mcgufcm said:

All seems reasonable. If Gatewood looks good and we land Zierer, I'd expect us to jump to the top of the list. I don't think this is wildly different than Bo Nix. Do the job, and this recruitment goes pretty smoothly.

Others think OU & Florida are the heavy favorites right now FWIW.

I'd believe that because we're the wait-and-see-est of all wait-and-see teams. If Gatewood looks good and OL recruiting goes well (meaning we sign probably the top two JUCO OTs and fill the cupboard back up behind them), my personal opinion is, we'll move to the top of the list.

Judging from the things he said for each school I think Oklahoma and Clemson

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Omg did you scroll thorough the article bro??? Clemson's d line class is sick 😷

One could read his remarks about Auburn thusly : "If I hadn't grown up an Auburn fan they wouldn't be on my list". Not very encouraging to my way of thinking.

Seems like an incredible talent but I am not big on the pro-styles anymore with Gus. If he could prove successful with Gatewood, then finding and hitting the best dual threat possible needs to be his priority. 

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

One could read his remarks about Auburn thusly : "If I hadn't grown up an Auburn fan they wouldn't be on my list". Not very encouraging to my way of thinking.

Agreed. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Seems like an incredible talent but I am not big on the pro-styles anymore with Gus. If he could prove successful with Gatewood, then finding and hitting the best dual threat possible needs to be his priority. 

I used to vehemently argue against this, but no more. 

There are a few offenses out there that seem to do okay with either style, but not many. I'm okay if ours has an identity that involves a DT guy.

Also, looking just at this year's rankings, about 1/3 of the top 25 QBs are DT guys. I suspect that number will continue to climb as time goes on. So it's not like the options for DT guys are particularly limited. 

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Why is that? Think about this. And it's true. Kid has bleed orange and blue his whole life.

I have always felt the college game in general was best suited to dual threat QB's.  If your QB can take off and run, it is a huuge advantage. We have seen the success Gus has had with QB's who could run.  I'm looking forward to seeing it again this year. Clemson beat Bama with a pocket passer, but he is the best I have ever seen in college. Superhuman ability to find a receiver and get rid of the ball quickly, along with exceptionally talented receivers and offense line.  I think he would have been the first pick in the NFL draft if he could have come out this year.   I will say that some guys who aren't great runners, but at least decent runners can do well if they have an ability to sense the pressure and elude the first rusher. (Think Texas's Sam Ehlinger).  I bellieve that was the quality that Stidham lacked last year, although our O line didn't make it easy.

9 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Why is that? Think about this. And it's true. Kid has bleed orange and blue his whole life.

Prior fandom has little to nothing to do with where a kid signs. Why this should be is an individual thing but we've both known for a long time that being "a fan of" is normally meaningless. Bo Nix is an exception because of Pat, but normally fanship is immaterial.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

I didn't read it that way at all. I read it  "If I was making this choice based on emotion, I'd be an Auburn commit right now.  But this is too important, and I am going to have to evaluate them along with everyone else as objectively as I can."

Just now, Cardin Drake said:

I didn't read it that way at all. I read it  "If I was making this choice based on emotion, I'd be an Auburn commit right now.  But this is too important, and I am going to have to evaluate them along with everyone else as objectively as I can."

I hope you are correct!

2 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

To me it read, "I want to go to Clemson because of what they are. I might go to Auburn if they can become something that they currently aren't."

I read it as "I love Auburn and have been a die hard fan so I know all too well how QB coaching there seems to be poor, so I want to see if Gus can actually coach a QB because I want to be developed for the next level."

I think Brock will take away the emotion and go to the school he feels will offer him the greatest success and best chance to be a high draft pick in the NFL. I think OU and Clemson may be the leaders, considering OU's success with recent NFL QB's and Clemson success with their last 2 QB's. UGA is also up there. He is also interested in the OL's of the schools. UGA and Clemson are killing it on the recruiting circuit right now. They are both loaded with 4 and 5 star kids and we are getting 3 and 4 star kids. It will be a heck of a get if we can pull this off. Coach D is going to need to be a QB whisperer this year. JMO.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Prior fandom has little to nothing to do with where a kid signs. Why this should be is an individual thing but we've both known for a long time that being "a fan of" is normally meaningless. Bo Nix is an exception because of Pat, but normally fanship is immaterial.

He's more than just a fan. He is a AU legacy. Come on Mikey.

My opinion. I do not think he will be a good fit in Auburn's offense. Pro style, drop back QBs do not flourish here. I think his best bet is Oklahoma. IMO

There are two types of Dual Threat QB's. The traditional one everybody talks about the Cam and Marshall type who pick up a lot of yardage with their legs and the second type who while they can pick up some yardage with their legs they actually use their legs to buy time for receivers to get open then find them. Gatewood appears to be first type, Nix appears to be more of the second type but who can also pick up some yardage.  I believe Brock is also the second type.   

I believe Brock loves Auburn and that is why we are still in the running but he needs to see either Gatewood or Nix or both develop this year to move us into having a real chance. Ideally Nix devloping would show him that he could do well at Auburn in the future. Right now I think we are on the outside looking in but we have a chance to become a player depending on this years team and how the QB's develop.

Archived