Reggie Slack

StatTiger

Continuing the historical videos of Auburn quarterbacks, the latest feature covers the career of Reggie Slack (1986-1989). Most of you all know he was a two-year starter during the 1988 and 1989 seasons when Auburn captured back-to-back SEC Championships. Slack was a raw quarterback when he arrived at Auburn, averaging about six pass attempts per game in high school. Like Jeff Burger, Reggie Slack prospered under quarterback coach Pat Sullivan. Producing videos of Burger and Slack, it was interesting to observe the similarity in passing mechanics by both quarterbacks. It was evident both quarterbacks were coached well under Pat Sullivan.

It feels like yesterday, I was watching Burger and Slack play at Auburn yet it was over 30 years ago. Lots of fond memories of the late 80's under Coach Pat Dye. For the younger crowd who did not witness Reggie Slack play at Auburn, I hope this video project gives you a better idea why older Auburn fans highly regard Slack. Except for a few clips of a couple of plays, there are no actual highlight videos of Reggie Slack on the Internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ-Gh6QIcA0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 3

Easily my favorite QB in AU history and one of the nicest people you could meet.  

Slack to Tillman and Slack to Ace will always be my Sullivan to Beasley.  

Reggie had freakin ice water in his veins...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, StatTiger said:

Continuing the historical videos of Auburn quarterbacks, the latest feature covers the career of Reggie Slack (1986-1989). Most of you all know he was a two-year starter during the 1988 and 1989 seasons when Auburn captured back-to-back SEC Championships. Slack was a raw quarterback when he arrived at Auburn, averaging about six pass attempts per game in high school. Like Jeff Burger, Reggie Slack prospered under quarterback coach Pat Sullivan. Producing videos of Burger and Slack, it was interesting to observe the similarity in passing mechanics by both quarterbacks. It was evident both quarterbacks were coached well under Pat Sullivan.

It feels like yesterday, I was watching Burger and Slack play at Auburn yet it was over 30 years ago. Lots of fond memories of the late 80's under Coach Pat Dye. For the younger crowd who did not witness Reggie Slack play at Auburn, I hope this video project gives you a better idea why older Auburn fans highly regard Slack. Except for a few clips of a couple of plays, there are no actual highlight videos of Reggie Slack on the Internet.

He was my favorite.    Had some great moments, 1st one at J-H and he bombs to Ace were beautiful!  

1 hour ago, Cozmo said:

Easily my favorite QB in AU history and one of the nicest people you could meet.  

Slack to Tillman and Slack to Ace will always be my Sullivan to Beasley.  

Reggie had freakin ice water in his veins...

I credit a lot of the ice to Pat Sullivan.   He was great working with Slack!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Thanks @StatTiger!!!

Im like you, Burger and Slack were the QBs during my formative years.  I have many good memories of that era of AU football!!! 

Definately agree. Reggie Slack, James Joseph, Stacy Danley, Alexander Wright, Greg Taylor and Victor Hall. Special year for me personally!

Edited by tbone4jc
  • Like 1

Love, love, love this!!!  That era is when my love of Auburn football was cemented.  My grandfather took me to my first game in 1988 right after my 8th birthday.  They played Tennessee and bludgeoned them 38-6.  I still believe that had that team not lost the heartbreaker at LSU they would have played, and beaten, Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl for the title.  

As for Reggie Slack I will never forget that he was like a hero to me as an 8 and 9 year old.  When we were playing on the playground at school or I was playing alone in the yard at home I was Reggie Slack 😂😂.  I even had a number 17 jersey.  He was the epitome of an Auburn man.  I don’t know that any AU QB threw a better deep ball or a better sideline comeback route.  He was also absolutely brilliant in the 89 Iron Bowl.  Last thing:  could you imagine what that offense (especially 88 when Tillman and Reeves were still there) would have been like if they had come along during the spread em out 4 wide or 3 wide with a TE era?  Interesting thought.

On 6/4/2019 at 11:36 AM, StatTiger said:

Reggie Slack is one of my fave QB's at Auburn. The dude would thrive in a HUNH.

Favorite QB as well. He took  the starting QB role in the first Iron Bowl on the Plains. Game wasnt really that close after halftime imho.  

Met  him at an event recently, under a year ago. He was as humble as could be. I called him "Cool Hand Reggie Slack." He liked it. Just an awesome example of a Tiger.

On 6/5/2019 at 1:33 PM, ClarkGriswold said:

Still mad about the no call pass interference by FSU in the Sugar Bowl

Go to 1:28:00 on the video

Can still see it in my mind.........after watching again brings out the anger and hatred for all things FSU. 

On 6/11/2019 at 2:51 PM, DKW 86 said:

Favorite QB as well. He took  the starting QB role in the first Iron Bowl on the Plains. Game wasnt really that close after halftime imho.  

Met  him at an event recently, under a year ago. He was as humble as could be. I called him "Cool Hand Reggie Slack." He liked it. Just an awesome example of a Tiger.

Met him once when he was looking into Waffle House franchise.......late 90's early 2,000's