Turbo Jones out 2-3 months

ellitor

Not what you want to hear, but not the worst thing in the world. J’Von will get some time being “the man” during summer workouts which I see as positive. Turbo will be back, and will more than likely still be able to do some strength training in the meantime. 

Would like to see us sign a grad transfer combo guard to help out though 

Not a big deal as far as basketball, basketball. Sucks as far as chemistry and stuff. Summer is when alpha's seeds are planted

This is a big deal. We already were going to miss Harper a lot. I have faith in J'Von but we really needed Turbo to come in and prove himself so we had some real depth at PG. Summer is a great time for players to both bond and get to know each others game. Missing this time with other players and also not being able to run will affect Turbo when he does return as he will not be in playing shape. This really means that he probably won't be a player we rely on at beginning of the season as we will have to wait for him to get back into shape and work with other players. I now expect his impact to be around time we start SEC season.  This puts even more weight on J'Von's shoulders and we will also need to find somebody to spell him at PG.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

This is a big deal. We already were going to miss Harper a lot. I have faith in J'Von but we really needed Turbo to come in and prove himself so we had some real depth at PG. Summer is a great time for players to both bond and get to know each others game. Missing this time with other players and also not being able to run will affect Turbo when he does return as he will not be in playing shape. This really means that he probably won't be a player we rely on at beginning of the season as we will have to wait for him to get back into shape and work with other players. I now expect his impact to be around time we start SEC season.

I'm not worried about the shape part at all. He should be recovered by September. The season starts in November. The guys play pick up games every day even when practice is not in session. Formal practice with coaches present starts in October. The one area he may lag in is running the offense from the point for a while.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

we will also need to find somebody to spell him at PG.

The plan is for Samir to do that which scares me a bit.

Purifoy just like Bowers a couple years ago.  Pearl will find somebody, maybe Jamal Johnson can handle the rock or Flanagan.  If McCormick is gonna play 30 a game we are looking at a few short stints for rest.

12 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Purifoy just like Bowers a couple years ago.  Pearl will find somebody, maybe Jamal Johnson can handle the rock or Flanagan.  If McCormick is gonna play 30 a game we are looking at a few short stints for rest.

I'm more worried about Samir backing him up at times. There were times last year when Samir did something with the ball I was like WTH...

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I'm more worried about Samir backing him up at times. There were times last year when Samir did something with the ball I was like WTH...

I hear ya.  That is why I was thinking of any other possibilities.  Too many WTH moments in so little opportunities.

42 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I'm bettin' CBP is on that.  It'll be better year number two.

It's the entire back court I'm worried about that's including McCormick. Being a change of pace guy for spurts is completely different than running a team.

Also when you're a guy who hardly plays it's completely different as far as being a starter. I'm glad people are excited about basketball again but this year's team will have a bunch of work to do

1 hour ago, AUGoo said:

I'm bettin' CBP is on that.  It'll be better year number two.

I hope you're right. I though Malik Dunbar had a lot of WTH moments the year before last but last year had nowhere near as many.

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

It's the entire back court I'm worried about that's including McCormick. Being a change of pace guy for spurts is completely different than running a team.

Also when you're a guy who hardly plays it's completely different as far as being a starter. I'm glad people are excited about basketball again but this year's team will have a bunch of work to do

All this plus I want to know where the scoring is going to come from?

3 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Oh, ye of little faith.....

I didn't say I didn't have faith. I just to know damn it! For humor purposes for those wondering.

21 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Per Hooks about 30 mins ago, Turbo is out of a wheelchair and walking in less than one week. That's great news

Full post...

Great news to report on several fronts....

1. Jaylin Williams is now medically cleared and is fully practicing.
2. Javon Franklin the kid from JC is enrolled and fully practicing.
3. Tyrell Jones has gone from wheel chair to walking in one week! Great to see him progressing so quickly.
4. Stretch has his appointment with the US embassy in Nigeria end of next week. Cross your fingers but he should be stamped and ready to go after his appointment! He will be accompanied by a AU coach as well to ensure all goes well.

Many have asked has Stretch been able to play while exiled. This young man has not given up hope and has been taking a bus 20 min away form his house to practice and has been lifting to the best of his abilities at his family home. This kid will have overcome what surely felt like a life tragedy to finally make it to AU.

On the recruiting front......

July will be a pivotal month for us in the recruiting world. The hope is to get Cooper and Kessler committed then as they both have expressed a desire to commit earlier rather than later. Looks like Kessler will come down to us and Duke. IMHO all others are not in the running. Cooper still looks solid and AU bound.

Boston and Brown will not commit until the April timeframe so lots of attention will be required as time moves forward. I do think that if we can get Cooper and or Kessler on board this summer this may shake up when several other kids will feel pressure to commit or fear losing out as we want folks that want to be at AU.

All in all another positive week with the hoops program!

Archived