NCAA Track & Field Outdoors

Auburn Kev

Why can Florida...Arkansas...Georgia...LSU....have superb track programs and ours is just a few individuals???? Is it coaching??? facilities??? or what??? Like to see us become an item in track and field...

25 minutes ago, tigerman1186 said:

Why can Florida...Arkansas...Georgia...LSU....have superb track programs and ours is just a few individuals???? Is it coaching??? facilities??? or what??? Like to see us become an item in track and field...

Been this way for quite a while....and looks like our football sprinters did not score....not sure if there have been injuries or what....but also track fast is different than football fast.    Looking forward to seeing our guys on the football field this fall where when either gets into the open field they are …..gone.....

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 7:25 PM, tigerman1186 said:

Need a new coach, not a Spry guy, Spry puts all his eggs into the sprinters basket, and when all the men's sprinters transfer or turn pro in one off-season you don't have much of a team left. 

13 hours ago, CullmanTiger said:

Need a new coach, not a Spry guy, Spry puts all his eggs into the sprinters basket, and when all the men's sprinters transfer or turn pro in one off-season you don't have much of a team left. 

Schools only get something like 12 scholarships so makes you wonder how some schools just dominate year after year and we barely score in the conference and NCAA meets.  I know this is not a revenue sport but 12 scholarships is an investment and seems we should be getting a better return on that investment. 

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 11:10 AM, AU64 said:

Schools only get something like 12 scholarships so makes you wonder how some schools just dominate year after year and we barely score in the conference and NCAA meets.  I know this is not a revenue sport but 12 scholarships is an investment and seems we should be getting a better return on that investment. 

Well you do have to recruit well and then develop, walk-on's can play a roll too, Spry wants guys(sprinters) who can score in 4 events the day 1st practice starts. If a guy can score his 3rd or 4th year after being on the team a couple of years Spry isn't interested. If a walk-on shows potential but can't score in the SEC meet his freshman year. Spry isn't interested. To be fair, I don't know what his budget is, but I suspect he'll be looking for a new job soon.

11 minutes ago, CullmanTiger said:

Well you do have to recruit well and then develop, walk-on's can play a roll too, Spry wants guys(sprinters) who can score in 4 events the day 1st practice starts. If a guy can score his 3rd or 4th year after being on the team a couple of years Spry isn't interested. If a walk-on shows potential but can't score in the SEC meet his freshman year. Spry isn't interested. To be fair, I don't know what his budget is, but I suspect he'll be looking for a new job soon.

If that is his approach it ain't working.....JMO but there a hundred sprinters who run about 10.00 and hard to win a meet if you have 3 or 4 of them.  He has 12 schollys....seems to recruit better female athletes.

The size of the meet has everything to do with how many points you have to score to do well. 50 points in a dual meet will get you blown out, 50 in the SEC championship will get you around 10th, 50 in the NCAA Championship will get you around 5th.  My son went to  a oneA school, he scored high in 2 events at Homewood's meet and his school was able to outscored Spain Park High School. Homewood's meet had over a 100 schools, doesn't take a lot of points to do well in big meets.

1 hour ago, CullmanTiger said:

The size of the meet has everything to do with how many points you have to score to do well. 50 points in a dual meet will get you blown out, 50 in the SEC championship will get you around 10th, 50 in the NCAA Championship will get you around 5th.  My son went to  a oneA school, he scored high in 2 events at Homewood's meet and his school was able to outscored Spain Park High School. Homewood's meet had over a 100 schools, doesn't take a lot of points to do well in big meets.

True….but unless you have multiple outstanding athletes, you score nothing.  I recall a few years ago when either arky or bama won the SEC meet primarily by taking the top 3 or 4 places in just two races.....thinking 1500 and 5000 or something like that..   

However you go about it.....depth or a handful of exceptional athletes....it's not working for AU. ...either not getting the necessary talent or not developing it. :dunno: 

It's been several years now, but Spry's Auburn women's team won the NCAA championship back then. The men's team came very close a time or maybe two. I thought we were headed to the top in track and field, but we just went down from those early high points. I don't know the details, but we've never again come close and seem to be slipping back farther every year.

Archived