2020 3* SG Justin Powell Commits to AU!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • ellitor changed the title to 2020 3* SG Justin Powell Commits to AU!
  • ellitor pinned this topic

Dude can ball. Probably gonna hit a good many clutch shots for AU in the coming years, I would imagine. Hope this gets the ball rolling for 2020. Would love to see some more commits start rolling in

1 minute ago, crococile22 said:

Powell is on the rise lately. Last weekend shot 58% from the international 3pt line at AAU camp (the new 3pt line). Gonna be a stud!

& yet 247 dropped him about 20 spots this week.

He seems to be a complete shooting guard at 6'5" or 6'6" he is ideal height for shooting guard, his release is not perfect but it is effortless and he catches and shoots quickly.  He is solid in taking the ball inside and finishing or finding a teammate. I noticed a lot of time when he beat man off dibble he would pull up and hit a jump shot that is something our team has been missing, Bryce finally started to do that some last year but this kid is doing it in HS. He also uses the board and rim well to make it harder to block his shot. He is long enough to guard other shooting guards but we never see enough of a players defensive skills in highlight films so I have no opinion on how good a defender he will be. 

This is a good solid pickup that will be a real asset to this team he will fit in real well with the players coming in this year and if what we are hearing about others we have a shot for in this class we are starting with a really good player and waiting on some elite players. He has potential to develop into an elite player but at this time is just really, really good.

58 minutes ago, ellitor said:

True but 247 & Rivals has him a 3* so he's a composite 3*.

He was rated high then he transferred to a big time school and didn't do as well and now he's back in Kentucky. I think that is the reason for his ranking and it scares me a little but he looks like a player

Hopefully this starts a domino effect for more commitments. Got a feeling young Jayden stone will be told to pledge his allegiance to the United States of Bruce soon or his ticket aboard the USS Pearl will no longer be honored 

1 minute ago, AU82 said:

I hope that you’re right and he is as good as Brown.  I can live with that. 

Adding a shooter to a team that really likes to shoot can't hurt and like @AuburnNTexas mentioned we didn't really see his defense but his length should help in zones and help off set our 2021 recruit lack of height so win/win if you ask me

i spent about 20-25 minutes watching video of this kid yesterday, and while i would have liked to have seen him play some defense, i am really happy to get this kid....we got a steal if he can play  defense....he needs some more weight to help him finish at the rim, but damn this kid can shoot the ball, and has some quickness.....i suspect that his * rating will go up during his senior season...a 6'6" guard at AU?....you got to be kidding me!

Also when you're tall like he is you don't have to rely on athleticism to gain separation as much. That's why I mentioned his shot mechanics. It's sort of a wind up in it from the hip. If he gets his shot up a bit he'll have a super quick release and shoot right over the top of most people. That's something else Brown had, a perfect shooting form

Kevin Huerter 2.0

I like this. Bruce knows exactly what works and what doesn't in his system. He's got NBA size and can obviously shoot the rock. There's always room for a kid at his height that's a sniper from deep in our program. I'm actually giddy that we're going to have a 6'6' SG in our program. I love how we're compensating Bruce's plan of trading size for speed at the PG spot with elite size at SG. As others have said his size will allow him to be effective without being an above average athlete.

He also is apparently friends with Kessler and they've played together before, per Captain Hooks.

I know some people were hoping we'd land a boatload of 4 and 5 stars but this kid seems like he has potential to be a great fit for us. His other offers include: Cincy, UGA, Georgia Tech, Tennessee, Vandy, Virginia Tech, Xavier. Not too shabby at all.

"Prior to his move to Montverde Academy in Florida, Powell was the No. 51 ranked player nationally in the 2020 class. Until AAU play started this spring, Powell hadn’t played competitive basketball for nearly a year, and his national ranking has plummeted to No. 224 according to the 247Sports Composite."

Interesting. Why didn't he play competitive ball for a year? That's not great.

I'm still going to trust Bruce until he gives me ample reason not to. 

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

"Prior to his move to Montverde Academy in Florida, Powell was the No. 51 ranked player nationally in the 2020 class. Until AAU play started this spring, Powell hadn’t played competitive basketball for nearly a year, and his national ranking has plummeted to No. 224 according to the 247Sports Composite."

Whoa. The second commitment in a week from a kid that’s missed a whole season of playing

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Pretty sure it was covered in the 2020 recruiting thread. A leg injury I believe.

I thought it had something to do with transfer rules as well.

I know the article was posted here recently. He claimed we was just "homesick" and that is why he left the elite school to go back home. At his age it could be everything from his bball skills were not good enough or maybe he just didn't fit in with his teammates. Or he had a girl back home.....thats gotta many 16-17 year olds lol

Just now, gravejd said:

I thought it had something to do with transfer rules as well.

I know the article was posted here recently. He claimed we was just "homesick" and that is why he left the elite school to go back home. At his age it could be everything from his bball skills were not good enough or maybe he just didn't fit in with his teammates. Or he had a girl back home.....thats gotta many 16-17 year olds lol

Most high school places you can move though & play immediately unless you have grade issues.

Archived