2020 3* SG Justin Powell Commits to AU!

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Most high school places you can move though & play immediately unless you have grade issues.

Found it! That article talks about him having to sit out a year due to the transfer. Maybe he transferred twice in one season or something and that is the reason. I dunno but the article definitely says his sitting out for a year was due to transfer

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/powell-update-2

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Whoa. The second commitment in a week from a kid that’s missed a whole season of playing

This one is different as he is back playing after his injury and does not look any worse for the time off. So I expect him to get better before we get him next year.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Most high school places you can move though & play immediately unless you have grade issues.

In Texas, you have to prove extensively that the move was not in any way motivated by the sport.

Appears to be a great shooter ... I’ll trust u guys about having room to improve his technique.  I have no knowledgeable basis regarding watching film but he was quicker than I expected.  Seemed comfortable dribbling on film, was a lot longer than I assumed him to be.  This may sound horrible but I’ll say it anyway ... I wasn’t expecting him to be that athletic ... I must assumed he wouldn’t be because he was a skinny white kid ... consider me impressed.

ive said this before ... id love a mix of multi year “3 star” type kids with high upside all the way through the 1 or 2 year super stars we are just now looking to get.

man, this is fun.

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

So is this the big 5 star number 1 class blah blah blah never seen before hype?

He's a good shooter. Will need to work on his release maybe. He seems to have a little play making to him. Pretty much Bryce Brown but he may shoot it a little better and could possibly have a better handle. 

He’s probably the first domino, it’s definitely nice to have a Tyler Herro type. We had great volume 3 pt shooters, but it’d be nice to have some more consistency going forward 

13 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

id love a mix of multi year “3 star” type kids

this kid is not your normal 3* player.....he didn't play last year which dropped him down the charts....he was ranked close to a top 50 player before the missed season

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

In Texas, you have to prove extensively that the move was not in any way motivated by the sport.

I don’t think it matters in Alabama why you move. But you better damn well actually live at the address you give. My old hs principal will visit the house you moved to and from and walk through every room. 

20 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Same in Wisconsin 

seems like that article is a bit misleading. It tries to imply that he was the 51st overall ranked player in the class, but he's actually the 51st ranked shooting guard in it.

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

If he is being compared to one of the most accomplished guards in AU history then we just got one hell of a player!!

I don't know if anybody else is comparing him to Brown but that's what I see

28 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

seems like that article is a bit misleading. It tries to imply that he was the 51st overall ranked player in the class, but he's actually the 51st ranked shooting guard in it.

I think the 51's are coincidences.  According to his ranking history on 247, he was ranked 51st overall in early 2018 by 247 while the composite had him in the low 100s.  Now they have him 171 and 229, respectively. 

2 minutes ago, WarEagleIn2010 said:

I think the 51's are coincidences.  According to his ranking history on 247, he was ranked 51st overall in early 2018 by 247 while the composite had him in the low 100s.  Now they have him 171 and 229, respectively. 

Oh cool. Interesting 

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

He’s probably the first domino, it’s definitely nice to have a Tyler Herro type. We had great volume 3 pt shooters, but it’d be nice to have some more consistency going forward 

He's another white dude but herro really wasn't a super accurate shooter, I think he sort of gets a benefit off the white guy is a good shooter stereotype. Herro was more actually like our guys you described he was pretty streaky. I do understand your point though and I agree with it

1 hour ago, alexava said:

I don’t think it matters in Alabama why you move. But you better damn well actually live at the address you give. My old hs principal will visit the house you moved to and from and walk through every room. 

Yep. The reason Reggie ragland grew up in Huntsville is because of some stuff I'm not going to say.....but his family is actually from Florence

Looks like coach Pearl is doing another awesome in recruiting to follow up a awesome 2018 season.

Have we ever landed the #1 player in the state of Kentucky? That is an accomplishment in itself. Curious to see this guy play. 

5 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Have we ever landed the #1 player in the state of Kentucky? That is an accomplishment in itself. Curious to see this guy play. 

We have not had a state of Kentucky player in basketball for awhile. When was the last time we had one? I thought it was Derrick Bird but he was from Michigan.

5 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Daymeon Fishback 

5 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

Daymeon Fishback 

He turned out ok for us. 

12 hours ago, bigbird said:

Looks like a Manute Bol clone...

I see a gym rat, lunch pail guy, with a high motor, who is heady and has a high basketball IQ, with intangibles and plays the game the right way.  He also has deceptive speed, is sneaky athletic, and a grinder.  He gets the most out of his abilities, has a lot of heart and is the kind of guy you want your daughter to date.  Comps Mike Miller, Chris Mullen, Dan Majerle, Mark Price, Jeff Hornicek, Tim Legler, Steve Kerr and Kyle Korver.     

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

I see a gym rat, lunch pail guy, with a high motor, who is heady and has a high basketball IQ, with intangibles and plays the game the right way.  He also has deceptive speed, is sneaky athletic, and a grinder.  He gets the most out of his abilities, has a lot of heart and is the kind of guy you want your daughter to date.  Comps Mike Miller, Chris Mullen, Dan Majerle, Mark Price, Jeff Hornicek, Tim Legler, Steve Kerr and Kyle Korver.     

You saw this from the video?

15 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You saw this from the video?

Lol, I just listed white athlete stereotypes, no need for film, he has these skills!!

Archived