2020 4* S Chris Thompson JR Commits to AU!!!

GwillMac6

36 offers including AU, Texas, Bama, Ohio St., USC, Clemson, FSU, UGA, LSU, Miami, Michigan, ND, Florida, & aTm.
Texas may lead but AU putting up a fight.

Nathan King • AuburnSports

Auburn has been on 4-star safety Chris Thompson Jr.’s mind since Gus Malzahn and company offered in March. That interest continued to swell when he was on campus for this year’s A-Day spring game, and after his official visit, the Tigers are still among the top programs he’s considering.

"(Auburn) has been in my top schools since they offered me, " Thompson said. "I enjoyed the coaching staff. I was surprised. I had a great time. Just talking to the coaching staff and engaging with the players more was the best part about it.”

A 6-foot-2 defensive back from Duncanville, Texas, Thompson is rated as the No. 13 safety in the nation. He named Auburn, Texas, Ohio State and Georgia as his leaders Sunday.

The Tigers are his second official visit after he went to Texas last month. Thompson said his next official is set for next weekend with the Buckeyes, and that Southern California could work its way into the picture, as well.

“I just want to be around a coaching staff that keeps it real with me — genuine,” Thompson said. “A defensive system that fits me. And I want to be developed.”

If Thompson were to commit to Kevin Steele’s defensive system, he and the staff already have an idea of the type of player the Rivals250 prospect could be.

“Like a free safety. Kind of filling in the spot of Daniel Thomas,” Thompson said.

Thompson said that while he won’t settle on a defensive scheme that doesn’t feel right, he believes his talent level can translate to success at any program in the country.

“I’m going to work hard,” Thompson said. “I have a skillset that will fit anywhere. I make myself where I need to be.”

• Like 1

Duncanville - high level, elite HS program.   

Would love to have this cat commit to Auburn.  With his length, he could be an elite college talent.   Need to keep recruiting TX.

Is it me or am I just not seeing us recruit LA much anymore?

• Love 1

14 minutes ago, Beaker said:

We have 2 coaches that recruit there. Unless your name is Saban it's hard to pull talent out of that state that LSU wants.

16 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We have 2 coaches that recruit there. Unless your name is Saban it's hard to pull talent out of that state that LSU wants.

I know what you mean, just seems to me we don't have players listing us like we used to.   And I know we have burned with early commits from LA.   Maybe it is my bad memory, but we used to get more "maybes" than we are now.

But on the upside, seems like we are doing better in the SC, NC region, maybe Georgia.  GA is hard to tell b/c we always do well with GA.   

You know our baseball team has a Canadian who is a stud....Nah, we probably shouldn't go to Canada for talent unless we get a hockey program going.   Haha

Thanks E - 

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

Would love to have this cat commit to Auburn.  With his length, he could be an elite college talent.   Need to keep recruiting TX.

I thought you were talking about LA, lower Alabama! 😝 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

Joel Williams is another DB from LA that recently visited and who just decommitted from UF. So that's 2...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, toddc said:

I thought you were talking about LA, lower Alabama! 😝 

I read that as same thing when I first read it. Haha

• 1 month later...
  • ellitor changed the title to 2020 4* S Chris Thompson JR
35 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Per Keith earlier today family may prefer AU. CT leaning slightly to Texas.

I'm impressed with the awesome fight we're putting up

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm impressed with the awesome fight we're putting up

Agreed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Per Keith earlier today family may prefer AU. CT leaning slightly to Texas.

Sounds like the opposite of the John Burt saga. He wanted AU and mom LOVED Charlie Strong and wanted UT. Hopefully the same result plays out this time where the family wins. Herman is a great recruiter and a even better closer. Going to be a hell of a tough pull.

• Thanks 1

FWIW, I've been told by a UTx coach that they feel pretty good about CT but it'll be a coin flip between them and AU

The safety numbers and quality the past 2 years brought in by UTx is a factor. Well just have to see if it's that much of one. He would play a lot as a freshman at AU.

• Like 1

Just now, bigbird said:

FWIW, I've been told by a UTx coach that they feel pretty good about CT but it'll be a coin flip between them and AU

To add, Texas recruiting reporters are now saying it's very tight.

I want to get this kid for his ability but I also want to get him because JLee smugly said last night AU had no shot.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

To add, Texas recruiting reporters are now saying it's very tight.

I want to get this kid for his ability but I also want to get him because JLee smugly said last night AU had no shot.

I want him because of Smoke and Sherwood. There is ~zero depth for next year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

There is ~zero depth for next year.

Do you feel that any of the 2020 JUCO safeties we are after could switch over to safety? 

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

Do you feel that any of the 2020 JUCO safeties we are after could switch over to safety? 

Couldn't honestly say. I'd prefer have a safety that doesn't need to be "taught" the position. Most of thoseguys have been playing corner for a reason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Obviously

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Brilliance at its peak right there

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I believe we've started having convos around 2/3 years ago that this looks to be happening. Man sometimes I can't help but to think what are they thinking as far as the secondary

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I believe we've started having convos around 2/3 years ago that this looks to be happening. Man sometimes I can't help but to think what are they thinking as far as the secondary

Well they also had some unexpected attrition in that time. Most notably Marlon Character & Cam'Ron Kelly.

19 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Well they also had some unexpected attrition in that time. Most notably Marlon Character & Cam'Ron Kelly.

You are so correct about this. We have actually done a great job recruiting if you count those two and without them leaving we would be in much better shape.  That said because of that attrition and a weak DB class this year we really need to pull the rabbit out of the hat.

I'm not worried. Depth chart makes it attractive.  Unlike O-line, DB is a position where true freshman can contribute immediately.  We will wind up with what we need. That said, it would be nice to have a few commits.