2020 3* OG/C Tate Johnson Commits to AU!

ellitor

17 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

He looks too slow to be a good pulling guard to me. @bigbird What do you think?

I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I'll get back to you on it, but the one you need to ask is @1913-14

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Hey, if JB Grimes thinks he can play, then that should be good enough for everyone. Okay?

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Hey, if JB Grimes thinks he can play, then that should be good enough for everyone. Okay?

giphy.gif

Edited by WarDamnEagleWDE
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I'll get back to you on it, but the one you need to ask is @1913-14

I think looking at him, his arms are definitely too short for Tackle, but they could be looking at him at center too for the future...

War Eagle!  And welcome to the Family.

Who are the other Calloway players we are recruiting?  Aren't there others?  Seems like a pipeline is forming.

edit:  I remember:  Tank B is from Calloway.  Maybe another....maybe this will help with Bigsby.

Edited by Beaker

I just watched his film. He is a big strong kid like a few others have said he does not seem to be that quick to me and he overcomes people with his size not his technique. He does keep his feet moving and chases the plays and continues to block downfield. He will need a year or two in a college strength training  and diet program to streamline his body which will help with his quickness and the time to refine his technique. He has potential but will need to work hard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Johnson just picked up his 4th star, composite

Came from ESPN. This was their 1st eval of him & put him in their Top 300 overall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• ellitor changed the title to 2020 4* OG Tate Johnson Commits to AU!
2 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Johnson just picked up his 4th star, composite

And boy is he salty about folks who didn't think much of him being a 3*. Don't blame him and hope that chip keeps him angry and hungry.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, WFE12 said:

The only place he would have gotten that vibe is on message boards, so don’t think these kids don’t read what we say!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, toddc said:

The only place he would have gotten that vibe is on message boards, so don’t think these kids don’t read what we say!

You'd be surprised at what people say to recruits on Twitter. That said, hopefully not the case here, and you're right. 

• Like 1

Good pickup and I’m glad to see more OL in this class. I think he’ll develop just fine.

War Eagle!

Love the idea of him already having some chemistry with Jernigan and K. Jones (if I understood that correctly). 

Edit: Replied before I got to the end. I liked what I heard at the end. His reaction to getting his 4th star made me think he has an edge to him. His comments at the end here support that theory. Hell yeah. 

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 1

On 6/13/2019 at 8:16 AM, toddc said:

what's worse that was probably Auburn message boards.

• ellitor changed the title to 2020 3* OG Tate Johnson Commits to AU!
  • ellitor unpinned this topic
  • ellitor featured this topic

How Auburn commit Tate Johnson went from recruitee to recruiter

Not many of the Auburn recruits coming out of the Saturday on-campus event were fully decked out in Auburn gear. That’s because many of them still have no idea where they’ll be going to school.

In that way — and maybe also the full beard — Tate Johnson stood out. He was dressed out in all Auburn clothing. The 2020 guard was there not just to reaffirm his AU commitment, but to help build the growing class.

“I’m more of a recruiter now," Johnson said. "I can kind of be on the coaching staff, sort of say and help the coaches recruit. It’s a more laid back process. And I enjoy it a lot.”

Johnson committed to Auburn on June 10, and the Callaway High School student has taken numerous visits to the Tigers. He was here for Big Cat weekend in early June, then came back on June 15, per 247Sports, and was on campus on Saturday, in addition to another visit back in April, per 247Sports.

He’s one of six offensive line commits in the class. The three-star had offers from Georgia Tech, Boston College and Cincinnati, among others. But he sounds 100 percent sold on Auburn, and will enroll early, in January, after signing in December.

“It’s different when recruits are talking to the coaches than when they’re talking to other recruits," Johnson said. "On a certain level, recruits bond with other recruits because they know what they’re going through. They know that other recruits aren’t gonna steer them in the wrong way. They know that other recruits picked here for a reason, and they believe it more coming out of our mouths than the coaches mouths, because they know we’re not just gonna sell them.”

These skills might come in handy for one of Auburn’s top running back targets, Tank Bigsby, who is rated by 247Sports as the No. 7 running back recruit in the country, and the No. 4 overall player in Georgia. He is choosing between Georgia, South Carolina, Auburn and Tennessee.

Johnson obviously works closely with Bigsby on the offense at their Hogansville, Georgia school, and hasn’t been shy that he wants the prized recruit to continue on as his teammate, even if he isn’t pressuring him to make that choice.

“I don’t pressure him hard," Johnson said. "I want him to make the best decision for him and his family. But I just preach to him, I mean here, he knows it. He’s said it before. It’s such a family-oriented staff. They really care about you more than anyone else. I mean, his top schools, out of all those top schools, I’ve been to them, I’ve seen them. This staff is unlike any other staff I’ve ever seen ... He would thrive here under coach Cadillac William.”

• Like 2
  • Love 1

How Auburn commit Tate Johnson went from recruitee to recruiter

LSU v Auburn

Getty Images

AUBURN, AL - SEPTEMBER 15: A general view of Jordan-Hare Stadium during the game between the Auburn Tigers and the LSU Tigers on September 15, 2018 in Auburn, Alabama. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

Not many of the Auburn recruits coming out of the Saturday on-campus event were fully decked out in Auburn gear. That’s because many of them still have no idea where they’ll be going to school.

In that way — and maybe also the full beard — Tate Johnson stood out. He was dressed out in all Auburn clothing. The 2020 guard was there not just to reaffirm his AU commitment, but to help build the growing class.

“I’m more of a recruiter now," Johnson said. "I can kind of be on the coaching staff, sort of say and help the coaches recruit. It’s a more laid back process. And I enjoy it a lot.”

He’s one of six offensive line commits in the class. The three-star had offers from Georgia Tech, Boston College and Cincinnati, among others. But he sounds 100 percent sold on Auburn, and will enroll early, in January, after signing in December.

“It’s different when recruits are talking to the coaches than when they’re talking to other recruits," Johnson said. "On a certain level, recruits bond with other recruits because they know what they’re going through. They know that other recruits aren’t gonna steer them in the wrong way. They know that other recruits picked here for a reason, and they believe it more coming out of our mouths than the coaches mouths, because they know we’re not just gonna sell them.”

These skills might come in handy for one of Auburn’s top running back targets, Tank Bigsby, who is rated by 247Sports as the No. 7 running back recruit in the country, and the No. 4 overall player in Georgia. He is choosing between Georgia, South Carolina, Auburn and Tennessee.

Johnson obviously works closely with Bigsby on the offense at their Hogansville, Georgia school, and hasn’t been shy that he wants the prized recruit to continue on as his teammate, even if he isn’t pressuring him to make that choice.

“I don’t pressure him hard," Johnson said. "I want him to make the best decision for him and his family. But I just preach to him, I mean here, he knows it. He’s said it before. It’s such a family-oriented staff. They really care about you more than anyone else. I mean, his top schools, out of all those top schools, I’ve been to them, I’ve seen them. This staff is unlike any other staff I’ve ever seen ... He would thrive here under coach Cadillac William.”

• Like 1

• ellitor changed the title to 2020 3* OG/C Tate Johnson Commits to AU!
  • 4 weeks later...

IMO, something that a frustrated player might type but should consider deleting/discarding before sending or posting.

Edited by Auburn Kev

17 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

IMO, something that a frustrated player might type but should consider deleting/discarding before sending or posting.

I just ran this through my spin cycle and what came out was that this kid has a chip and an edge about him and he's going to play a little pissed off, which is something we desperately need more of on the OL. He let fly with some similar candor about his 3* rating immediately after committing (which was evidently fueled by DA Auburn fans complaining about us signing a 3*).

Taking off the O&B shades, though, I totally agree with you. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

I’d be perfectly happy with a little more Reese dismukes around the program

*deep breath*