Would you feel different if we had beaten FSU in 2013?

gr82b4au

1 hour ago, Auburnfan91 said:

I've already clarified I was mainly focusing on blowing double digit leads 10+ points. I only included other games to show that Gus doesn't make adjustments in the 2nd half of games.

I agree wholeheartedly there. That's his biggest downfall. He's a gameplan architect. If the plan he has doesn't work, we are GOING to lose. If it does, we'll beat teams like Arkansas 56-3. Infuriating.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If any team needs a pick me up, they need to play a Gus Malzahn team. Gus will make you look like national champions after they walk all over him and team. History speaks for itself over the past 6 years.

On 6/12/2019 at 3:53 PM, gr82b4au said:

Side note: The funny thing is he may be an excellent coach (although he was not good at OM) but with saban at uat, nobody will look at him that way. Nobody will look at any SEC coach that way while saban is at uat unless they win a national title.... 

Man...I just don't think you really comprehend what people are upset about. It has NOTHING to do with saban. It's about how stubborn Gus is. It's the overall mismanagement of roster. It's about how we lose games we shouldn't. Funny you bring up the 2013 nc game,  because that's one of them lol. Yet your whole argument is based on it. No one here dislikes Gus as a man and we're all grateful of the fact he appears to be running a clean program,  but the Jekyll and Hyde bs has grown old. We don't have the aggressive,  innovative OC Gus anymore and I'm not sure we'll ever get that back. We seemed to have gone away from everything that made his offense successful and it doesn't make sense to see what it has become is confusing and frustrating as a fan. I hope like hell he breaks through whatever fog he's been in and hits the ground running this season and never takes his foot off the gas like the old Gus. But.....until he does, it doesn't matter what kind of fantasy scenario you come up with there will be grumbling and talks of the hot seat. Wde 

11 hours ago, leglessdan said:

Man...I just don't think you really comprehend what people are upset about. It has NOTHING to do with saban. It's about how stubborn Gus is. It's the overall mismanagement of roster. It's about how we lose games we shouldn't. Funny you bring up the 2013 nc game,  because that's one of them lol. Yet your whole argument is based on it. No one here dislikes Gus as a man and we're all grateful of the fact he appears to be running a clean program,  but the Jekyll and Hyde bs has grown old. We don't have the aggressive,  innovative OC Gus anymore and I'm not sure we'll ever get that back. We seemed to have gone away from everything that made his offense successful and it doesn't make sense to see what it has become is confusing and frustrating as a fan. I hope like hell he breaks through whatever fog he's been in and hits the ground running this season and never takes his foot off the gas like the old Gus. But.....until he does, it doesn't matter what kind of fantasy scenario you come up with there will be grumbling and talks of the hot seat. Wde 

:bow:

19 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

If any team needs a pick me up, they need to play a Gus Malzahn team. Gus will make you look like national champions after they walk all over him and team. History speaks for itself over the past 6 years.

🤣😂🤣😂 Thanks, I did need that pick me up.

There are head coaches around that could beat Saban. Bob Stoops is one of them and Urban Meyer is another one.

Excited....was there for the game; first time in California and the Rose Bowl...upset we didn't win...it was in our 'hands' and we couldn't stop them....their first pass completion went for a long gain when it should of only been for a few yards...allowed them to get the ball moving down field....the only plus, their winning td was in our end....

But I was upset because we were late for our flight out on Sunday....flew out Monday, got to LA in the afternoon....took a limo to the Rose Bowl....watched the game, took a limo back to the airport...slept in the airport and boarded a plane 6:00 AM....in a matter of 34 hours...flew out and back to Orlando....never changed my clothes....

6 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

There are head coaches around that could beat Saban. Bob Stoops is one of them and Urban Meyer is another one.

When Gus is on his game and runs the actual hurry up no huddle,  he can beat saban too. The question is,  why has he gone away from it?

8 hours ago, leglessdan said:

When Gus is on his game and runs the actual hurry up no huddle,  he can beat saban too. The question is,  why has he gone away from it?

Because everyone started saying how his offense only worked because of a running threat out of the QB. Gus, being... well... like Gus... Wanted to show he was smarter than everyone else and that his offense would work just as well with a non running threat out of the QB. 

It hasn't. 

Hopefully with JoeyG he goes back to some of the inside veer stuff that Cam ran so well

9 hours ago, leglessdan said:

Because he can't get first downs. You can't run the hurry up offense if you're not getting first downs. 

It doesn't help that he's been putting his skill players into hyper-specific roles because he doesn't trust them to do more than one thing correctly.

11 hours ago, leglessdan said:

That HUNH gets kicked to the curb if you don't have an oline that executes at top performance consistently and if they can't get 1st downs. 

The Gus HUNH was more of hurry up get to the line, meercat to the sideline for the play and stall long enough so our coaches could read the defensive formation, all while the opponent stands on the field breathing heavy and in limbo because they can't sub their players.

7 minutes ago, keesler said:

That HUNH gets kicked to the curb if you don't have an oline that executes at top performance consistently and if they can't get 1st downs. 

The Gus HUNH was more of hurry up get to the line, meercat to the sideline for the play and stall long enough so our coaches could read the defensive formation, all while the opponent stands on the field breathing heavy and in limbo because they can't sub their players.

Yep. But now if we sub, they sub, and we sub constantly. In addition to not getting first downs.

To answer the OP, yes I'd feel different, I'd be a little more happy that we were champions. 

I think most people would look at Gus differently had we won that game, and for some it might not have made any difference. I also think that some people are only happy if they are complaining about whoever the coach is.  I was at the game, and it was a heartbreaker, especially after being up 21-3.  I think people forget how horrible we were in 2012 (worst Auburn season I can remember - and I was a student during the 1980 season), and what a turnaround 2013 was for Auburn.  Gus deserves some of the grief he gets, but he should also get some credit for not allowing us to stay mired in the nightmare that was the 2012 season.  He put that season behind us, so much so that many seem to have forgotten how bad we were.

23 minutes ago, im4aual said:

I think most people would look at Gus differently had we won that game, and for some it might not have made any difference. I also think that some people are only happy if they are complaining about whoever the coach is.  I was at the game, and it was a heartbreaker, especially after being up 21-3.  I think people forget how horrible we were in 2012 (worst Auburn season I can remember - and I was a student during the 1980 season), and what a turnaround 2013 was for Auburn.  Gus deserves some of the grief he gets, but he should also get some credit for not allowing us to stay mired in the nightmare that was the 2012 season.  He put that season behind us, so much so that many seem to have forgotten how bad we were.

Nobody has forgotten that. That is called an anomaly. But you can’t live off of success in one season. I don’t know any job in America where you think you can plateau in performance and continue without constructive criticism. Well, there are some , but those places end up falling apart. He absolutely got the credit he deserves by getting a better contract TWICE now.

On 6/12/2019 at 3:37 PM, casatiger said:

I think Gus would have been a different coach had he won that game.  He had it won and gave it away in that 3rd quarter.  I think he is still haunted by it. 

I don’t think he’d be any different nor the outcome of all future games. 

I do agree he gave the game away on the punt fake. I called it right before it happened. Was a perfect point in the game. Perfect deficit and field position to attempt it. Gus failed to recognize the situation and lost momentum, then the game because of it. 

53 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

I do agree he gave the game away on the punt fake. I called it right before it happened. Was a perfect point in the game. Perfect deficit and field position to attempt it. Gus failed to recognize the situation and lost momentum, then the game because of it. 

FSU is infamous for trick plays, especially during the Bowden years. I knew one was forthcoming just didn't know when but it was definitely the turning point of the game.unfortunately for us.

12 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

I still feel like the Jeremy Johnson situation did more to hurt Gus's confidence than the BCSCG.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:41 AM, im4aual said:

I was a student between 2009 and 2013 and I witnessed the highs and the lows. I was also at the game with my mom and my girlfriend (she's now my wife) and I might be upset about it for the rest of my life. I lost sleep over it for probably three months afterward. You can be grateful for the turnaround, because my God were we bad in 2012, and still be critical that we squandered a 21-3 lead. I knew that fake punt was coming, my mom knew it was coming too and she has an average understanding of football. I don't care who you are playing or how bad your defense is, you should never ever lose a 21-3 lead. The fact that blowing HUGE leads has happened more than once under coach Malzahn is why some people just can't make themselves trust him anymore. 

19 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

I was a student between 2009 and 2013 and I witnessed the highs and the lows. I was also at the game with my mom and my girlfriend (she's now my wife) and I might be upset about it for the rest of my life. I lost sleep over it for probably three months afterward. You can be grateful for the turnaround, because my God were we bad in 2012, and still be critical that we squandered a 21-3 lead. I knew that fake punt was coming, my mom knew it was coming too and she has an average understanding of football. I don't care who you are playing or how bad your defense is, you should never ever lose a 21-3 lead. The fact that blowing HUGE leads has happened more than once under coach Malzahn is why some people just can't make themselves trust him anymore. 

I was at the game as well, and everyone was yelling it before the snap.

To be fair, who knows maybe the special teams' coach did prompt them for it and of course mental lapses in big moments. We had two in just a year in baseball and basketball, unfortunately. Ugh, what are you going to do...

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

We had two in just a year in baseball and basketball, unfortunately. Ugh, what are you going to do...

Brutal. But that’s the life of an Auburn fan sometimes. Them cardiac kids can win victories with spectacular flair or lose leaving the fans dejected and heart broken for the players. They are what the game is all about. I am either pacing, cussing about calls, or destroying my liver, but I’m unimportant and fine with it. Auburn is at its best when it doesn’t back down and the players play bigger than themselves. Thank God for basketball and baseball and softball for filling the void that football used to fill. Football has shown that it can rise to the occasion, but I was at the LSU game last year and after the loss, I knew excitement would not be there for the rest of the season. Happens too many times. 

Archived