Would you feel different if we had beaten FSU in 2013?

gr82b4au

2 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Haha I did not say winning 3 national titles in 3 years. Read the quote again. 

Either way Gus has never won a NC as a HC. Don’t do Gene like that. He was the catalyst for Gus even getting a gig at Auburn.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, casatiger said:

I think Gus would have been a different coach had he won that game.  He had it won and gave it away in that 3rd quarter.  I think he is still haunted by it. 

You absolutely could be right!

Just now, DAG said:

Either way Gus has never won a NC as a HC. Don’t do Gene like that. He was the catalyst for Gus even getting a gig at Auburn.

And Curtis Luper was more responsible for bringing CAM to AU than Gus was.

Look I want constancy just like every other AU fan. I jumped off the bus back in 2016 and I am not sold on him as the HC at AU. All I am saying is that if he had won a title in 2013 people would think differently about him. Hell we only have 2 titles in history. He took us to our 3rd and lost. 

4 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Haha I did not say winning 3 national titles in 3 years. Read the quote again. 

Oh, I see I made a typo. Doesn't change the fact that you should stop holding up Gus as the big winner of two national titles in this conversation. 

Just now, gr82b4au said:

Look I want constancy just like every other AU fan. I jumped off the bus back in 2016 and I am not sold on him as the HC at AU. All I am saying is that if he had won a title in 2013 people would think differently about him. Hell we only have 2 titles in history. He took us to our 3rd and lost. 

Yes the same way people think differently of Gene Chizik. At the end of the day you still got to be consistent or you will get fired. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Oh, I see I made a typo. Doesn't change the fact that you should stop holding up Gus as the big winner of two national titles in this conversation. 

Ok so let's say that he was the OC on the national title team and then led us to our 3 national title in program history as a HC. You would not look at him differently if he won in 2013? 

8 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Would you rather be Auburn or LSU over the last decade? Would you rather be Auburn or any other program in the SEC (other than uat) over the last decade? 

I'm not sure. Not sure why or how that is relevant to the conversation.

Just now, gr82b4au said:

Ok so let's say that he was the OC on the national title team and then led us to our 3 national title in program history as a HC. You would not look at him differently if he won in 2013? 

I would not think about his current status or job security any differently, no.

But I would be more grateful to him after he were no longer our coach.

Honestly what Gus malzhan and Gene has showed me is that if they can can take Auburn to a NC then there is no reason that we should be inconsistent. Unfortunately, it makes me wonder where Auburn could be with a coach who can get the best results out of his players year after year...

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes the same way people think differently of Gene Chizik. At the end of the day you still got to be consistent or you will get fired. 

This time it was your turn to beat me to it, my friend.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Yes but Gene Chizik took our program to a place it had never been before in 2012...in a terrible way. If Gene had won 7 or 8 games there is no way he would have been fired. Gus is consistently average. 

1 minute ago, gr82b4au said:

Yes but Gene Chizik took our program to a place it had never been before in 2012...in a terrible way. If Gene had won 7 or 8 games there is no way he would have been fired. Gus is consistently average. 

And we didn't fire Gus when he lost five games in year 3. Unfortunately, that was a long time ago and we haven't gotten much better.

7 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Is Gus fired? Because that’s news to me. That wasn’t the point of your original statement . You are moving mountains now. You asked about him getting grief and I am telling you , yes! He would still get a good amount of grief if he had won a NC but remained inconsistent. There are guys who have won a NC but gotten just as much grief as Gus. Bob Stoops who majority of the fanbase wants, got a ton of grief at OU. It doesn’t take away that he won them a NC after they were eventually left for dead since their historic runs. You are living in a bubble of you think this is an Auburn thing. What about Les Miles?

23 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

The people acting like Ed Orgeron is not a very good head coach do nothing but degrade any further arguments they make.

Side note: The funny thing is he may be an excellent coach (although he was not good at OM) but with saban at uat, nobody will look at him that way. Nobody will look at any SEC coach that way while saban is at uat unless they win a national title.... 

16 minutes ago, casatiger said:

I think Gus would have been a different coach had he won that game.  He had it won and gave it away in that 3rd quarter.  I think he is still haunted by it. 

That and the Jeremy Johnson experience. Hell, I'm on record as saying that I think we might be having a different conversation if Jeremy's long touchdown pass to Jason Smith in the Louisville game hadn't been called back. 

But then again, there's a conversation to be had about Gus overreacting to outside stimuli instead of trusting his own philosophies and processes. The game plan against Clemson in 2016 would be the most blatant example of this. Or maybe the second half against LSU in 2017.

Anyway, I took the OP to mean all else stays the same.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Is Gus fired? Because that’s news to me.

No he is not, but I think you know that just about everyone seems to want him out at this point. Look at  every thread on the football board - you can't get through them without a jab at Gus. That is why I started this thread. I think people would look at him differently if he just won that one game. 

1 minute ago, gr82b4au said:

No he is not, but I think you know that just about everyone seems to want him out at this point. Look at  every thread on the football board - you can't get through them without a jab at Gus. That is why I started this thread. I think people would look at him differently if he just won that one game. 

And I am telling you no they will not IMO. He would be getting a good amount of grief. Just like Les and Bob did. Now, he might not get fired , but guess what he isn’t fired now. It doesn’t matter what you and I think from that standpoint. Again you are moving mountains to try to make a what if point .

19 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

The people acting like Ed Orgeron is not a very good head coach do nothing but degrade any further arguments they make.

I've got no qualms with you but IMO defending Ed Orgeron as some sort of good coach does more to degrade ones credibility than holding the alternative opinion on Coach O. 

Is there any evidence at all that Orgeron is actually a good coach? 

3 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Pro tip: don't start threads voicing your opinion and just expect everyone else to voice the same opinion. You opened the door and invited Gus bashing to come in, kick its feet up and stay awhile.

Point, counterpoint. 

23 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

If Shrek is a bad coach then what does it say about the guy who blew two touchdown second half leads in consecutive years against his team? People think he's a meme coach because incomprehensible animal noises come out of his mouth but he's doing way better at LSU than anyone thought he would.

3 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I've got no qualms with you but IMO defending Ed Orgeron as some sort of good coach does more to degrade ones credibility than holding the alternative opinion on Coach O. 

Is there any evidence at all that Orgeron is actually a good coach? 

I won't say is actually yet but I will say might be. They're coming off of 10 wins in his second season as head coach and they are ranked a preseason top 10 going into this year. And they are likely to be talented every year, but definitely as long as he is there.

Now, could he be a successful head coach anywhere else? Except for Louisiana directional schools, I mean? Probably not.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Pro tip: don't start threads voicing your opinion and just expect everyone else to voice the same opinion. You opened the door and invited Gus bashing to come in, kick its feet up and stay awhile.

Point, counterpoint. 

Oh I knew what was coming when I started it. I have been on this site long enough to know how it works. I like the back and forth. 

Would I feel differently?!?! HELL YAH!!!! We would of had 2 nattys in my lifetime!!! Who the heck would not feel differently?!??! Would it change anything? No. I do not think so. We would just be the New York Giants of College football. They won 2 Super Bowls in 4 years and did absolutely nothing of note any other season. Same as us. We would of won 2 Nattys in 3 years and the other seasons be mediocre most likely. I do not think we become Clemson or anything like that.

Archived