Would you feel different if we had beaten FSU in 2013?

gr82b4au

1 minute ago, Rednilla said:

For the love of...

No, I didn't play myself. My point this entire time has been about the way the loss in the SEC Championship is treated. You've already played yourself by saying you would rather not play in the championship game than to play it and lose.

Quote where I said that.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Yep...nobody ever got to a championship game based on some lucky plays or fortunate officiating decisions before AU did.....and of course FSU was not lucky to win that game ….just because two experienced DBs for AU busted a routine defensive play on a short pass that would pretty much have ended the game.....and thus allowed the 'noles to go the length of the field in half a minute. 

It should not have come down to 2 dbs running into each other.  We built the lead in the first half throwing the ball across the middle but our brilliant playcaller went back to running the football in the 2nd half allowing FSU to get back in the game.  Coaches say run something until they stop it gus just stop passing in the 2nd half no forcing FSU to weaken is run defense.  All due to our brilliant playcaller

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Quote where I said that.

25 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Oh good grief. I NEVER SAID THAT THE LOSS DOESN'T COUNT. I SAID IT DOESN'T COUNT THE SAME WAY. As I mentioned to your twin in my last comment, bowl losses should count against a coach the same, because in today's college game all it takes is not having a losing record to make a bowl game.

What I'm getting at is that winning the division and going to the conference championship is worth something. You avoided answering the question because you know I'm right and there's no way you can talk your way out of it. But okay, how about this: Auburn is 10-2, but both losses were in the SEC so Bama still wins the West, and then Auburn loses the bowl game. Is 10-3 really any better than 10-4 when the extra loss was a shot at winning the conference title?

Yes it’s one extra loss

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

If we beat LSU and split UGA, we 100% get in and Bama stays home. 

I disagree, because Auburn doesn't carry the clout Bama does (sadly). I think in that case the SEC only gets one team in and the other one loss team (don't remember who it was, but I'm pretty sure there was one) gets in ahead of both Auburn and Bama.

5 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

So based off that where you ask me what is the difference between 3 and 4, you correlate that with me saying I would rather not play in the championship game? 

I would feel different about our program, not Malzahn. Three undisputed Natty's, two in 4 years, would have taken Auburn's national perception into a new stratosphere. Would have had a domino effect. Hard to swallow that we couldn't hold that 21-3 lead. 

If we win that game, Malzahn would have a bigger sense of confidence, more pull in recruiting, etc. I think if we hang on, it's very likely Gus' win-loss record would be drastically different, as crazy as that sounds. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

So based off that where you ask me what is the difference between 3 and 4, you correlate that with me saying I would rather not play in the championship game? Haha? 

Yes, because the circumstance I was asking was about if we had lost 2 SEC games, meaning Bama won the West despite losing to us, so we simply didn't play in the championship game to lose it. How else do you get to 10-4 if not by losing the conference championship?

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I would feel different about our program, not Malzahn. Three undisputed Natty's, two in 4 years, would have taken Auburn's national perception into a new stratosphere. Would have had a domino effect. Hard to swallow that we couldn't hold that 21-3 lead. 

If we win that game, Malzahn would have a bigger sense of confidence, more pull in recruiting, etc. I think if we hang on, it's very likely Gus' win-loss record would be drastically different, as crazy as that sounds. 

Doesn't sound crazy at all, though I still contend you would feel differently about Malzahn had he won that game and then everything played out the same way afterward. That's not really all that debatable, though, because neither one of us knows how your feelings would have evolved with that extra win in the national championship.

Just now, Rednilla said:

Doesn't sound crazy at all, though I still contend you would feel differently about Malzahn had he won that game and then everything played out the same way afterward. That's not really all that debatable, though, because neither one of us knows how your feelings would have evolved with that extra win in the national championship.

I am not sure. Chizik went undefeated in 2010 and every Auburn soul wanted him gone less than 2 years later. Football will ALWAYS be about what you've done for me lately. Malzahn set the expectation very high and showed promise. Him not being able to live up to it in the following 6 years is unpleasant, no way around it, even if he had won that NC in 2013.

5 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I am not sure. Chizik went undefeated in 2010 and every Auburn soul wanted him gone less than 2 years later. Football will ALWAYS be about what you've done for me lately. Malzahn set the expectation very high and showed promise. Him not being able to live up to it in the following 6 years is unpleasant, no way around it, even if he had won that NC in 2013.

Chizik was wanted to be gone both because he failed to win an SEC game and because he had a feud with Malzahn, the architect of the offense that won us the national championship, and then the offense tanked when he tried to go a different direction with it.

And Malzahn did win 10 games two seasons ago, so my contention is that there would be less people as unhappy with him as there are, and the consternation would not be as great. I don't know if that's the case or not, but I think it would be. 🤷‍♂️

14 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Yes, because the circumstance I was asking was about if we had lost 2 SEC games, meaning Bama won the West despite losing to us, so we simply didn't play in the championship game to lose it. How else do you get to 10-4 if not by losing the conference championship?

Again, I am not disputing that. I am saying we still loss 4 games period. If we loss the sec championship game and won the bowl game, it would be an 11 win season period. If we won the sec championship game , won our playoff game and loss the championship game , we are 12-3. That means we still lose 3 games and we won 12. It’s fairly simple for me in that retrospect. 

Just like last year I consider it an 8 win season. I am not separating the fact that we got there because we played a bowl game.

Those are just facts. Is it unfair that Alabama essentially got in because we played and loss the SEC championship game ? Yes. But that one extra loss kept us out of the playoffs. 

I consider a 2017 a success, but that doesn’t mean we should just ignore that we loss in the SEC championship game and bowl game or weight it differently then the regular season. It doesn’t work that way in my eyes. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Again, I am not disputing that. I am saying we still loss 4 games period. If we loss the sec championship game and won the bowl game, it would be an 11 win season period. If we won the sec championship game , won our playoff game and loss the championship game , we are 12-3. That means we still lose 3 games and we won 12. It’s fairly simple for me in that retrospect. 

Just like last year I consider it an 8 win season. I am not separating the fact that we got there because we played a bowl game.

Those are just facts. Is it unfair that Alabama essentially got in because we played and loss the SEC championship game ? Yes. But that has nothing to do with our win- loss record. 

I consider a 2017 a success, but that doesn’t mean we should just ignore that we loss in the SEC championship game and bowl game or weight it differently then the regular season. It doesn’t work that way in my eyes. 

And it's fair enough that you see it that way. My issue is with those who have essentially said Gus always finds a way to lose 4 games. It's technically true, but the way he found to lose 4 games in 2017 is that he made the conference championship and lost. To me, that's a far sight better than losing 4 games without playing in the SECCG. Which has been my point the entire time.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Those are just facts. Is it unfair that Alabama essentially got in because we played and loss the SEC championship game ? Yes. But that one extra loss kept us out of the playoffs. 

#mathagenda

And it's fair enough that you see it that way. My issue is with those who have essentially said Gus always finds a way to lose 4 games. It's technically true, but the way he found to lose 4 games in 2017 is that he made the conference championship and lost. To me, that's a far sight better than losing 4 games without playing in the SECCG. Which has been my point the entire time.

Well of course that’s a whole different discussion. My bad . Maybe we were just on different wavelengths this whole time. 

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Losing in the SEC Championship shouldn't count against Malzahn the way so many do. 

Really?

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

Not in the same way regular season wins do, not when one of them came in the conference championship. 

If you lose the last game of the season, nobody gives a s***.

- Billy Beane

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

And if I'd been trying to insult you, I would have called you gay lovers. 

Seriously? You need to quit with that s***. It's not okay and won't be tolerated here.

56 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I disagree, because Auburn doesn't carry the clout Bama does (sadly). I think in that case the SEC only gets one team in and the other one loss team (don't remember who it was, but I'm pretty sure there was one) gets in ahead of both Auburn and Bama.

Disagree all you want. The experts all said it at the time. In fact, 538.com had us as the 3rd team in, not squeaking in the 4th spot.

A 2 loss SECw champ that beat Bama, (everyone's #1), who's only losses we're to the ACC champs, and a split with the SEC champs wouldn't have been kept out. Period. 

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Seriously? You need to quit with that s***. It's not okay and won't be tolerated here.

I didn't make the statement that they were gay lovers. I was trying to explain that I meant no harm with the bromance comment. That's all the intent that was there. If I hadn't had the conversation with my gay friend that I mentioned in a later comment, I wouldn't have said anything about it in the first place. Maybe it was misplaced, because I'm sure not every homosexual feels the same way my friend does, but that's what was on my mind. I meant no harm, I assure you.

Just now, Rednilla said:

I didn't make the statement that they were gay lovers. I was trying to explain that I meant no harm with the bromance comment. That's all the intent that was there. If I hadn't had the conversation with my gay friend that I mentioned in a later comment, I wouldn't have said anything about it in the first place. Maybe it was misplaced, because I'm sure not every homosexual feels the same way my friend does, but that's what was on my mind. I meant no harm, I assure you.

Then why did you choose that word? why not some other completely innocuous word?

Why did you feel the need to start slinging insults in the first place? Because we disagreed with you?

Things are getting really weird in here now. Lol

But it’s totally okay to agree with someone without all the other stuff and it is totally okay to disagree without all the other personal stuff. I respect @McLoofus because we can have conversations and agree / agree to disagree with respect.

That is the way it should be IMO. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Then why did you choose that word? why not some other completely innocuous word?

Why did you feel the need to start slinging insults in the first place? Because we disagreed with you?

I didn't sling the insult. I was trying to make the point that I WASN'T meaning bromance as an insult.

I didn't sling the insult. I was trying to make the point that I WASN'T meaning bromance as an insult.

LOL at you calling me disingenuous earlier.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

LOL at you calling me disingenuous earlier.

Just give it a rest. It's over now. Maybe I got my signals crossed. How about we try to agree to disagree the way DAG said you two do all the time, hmm?

On 6/12/2019 at 4:37 PM, casatiger said:

I think Gus would have been a different coach had he won that game.  He had it won and gave it away in that 3rd quarter.  I think he is still haunted by it. 

I feel more like it was a sign of things to come than some Coach Kline (from waterboy) manhood stealing moment. We lost because Gus's offense came out gangbusters, then as it has proven time and time again to do, gets figured out by a good defensive coordinator and Gus cant adjust. Granted we scored late to take the lead, but the offense production slowed way down as that game went on. That combined with the fact the defense wasnt that great but played their butts off to hang in there and couldnt hold on lost the game.

9 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I didn't make the statement that they were gay lovers. 

No, you said, "And if I'd been trying to insult you, I would have called you gay lovers.". Stating that calling two people gay lovers would be an insult. I'm absolutely confident that many of our members would take great offense with that.

We don't need to continue this dialogue. 

Back to it, I just think every game is impactful, not necessarily equally important. We are already have hypotheticals going so say for example for whatever reason the season ended after the iron bowl and we didn’t play against Purdue. I think the view on things going into this season would be much different. I believe that extra win was beneficial. It doesn’t change the fact that we loss 5 games last year but I do think that extra game provided some confidence in the boys and hopefully Gus. I know quite a few of us were very excited and it felt good to win and end the season on a high note. 

Archived