NCAA Coming Down Hard On At Least Six Programs.

around4ever

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BMatt said on radio today he doesn't expect AU to be impacted because the NCAA had already punished Wiley & Danjel FWIW.

Just now, ellitor said:

BMatt said on radio today he doesn't expect AU to be impacted because the NCAA had already punished Wiley & Danjel FWIW.

Hope that is the case...AU did about all it could up front as opposed to Az and LSU ...who rolled the dice betting they would skate ….

Hope we can come out of this ok. It’s been fun seeing the rise of the bball team and Pearl genuinely  seems like a good guy. Fun to cheer for. Fingers crossed

My only concern is because nice things don't stay very long at Auburn. I hope they don't crush this basketball bliss we are having. 

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

I love hearing what BM has to say about recruiting but unfortunately he has no idea what the NCAA is thinking at this point. Noone does. And they have proven it time and time again over the years. How many times over the years have different schools been hammered and the entire country collectively says "WOW we didnt see that coming"?What concerns me the most is how bad this situation has made the NCAA look. They could very well be out for blood. This entire nightmare can't end soon enough. 

WAR EAGLE!!!

Auburn held out Danjel and Austin for a full season and then the ncaa evaluated the situation and levied their own punishment on them as well. Would be really weird for the them to come back and repunish the program when no new damaging information towards AU has been revealed in the trial. I feel like AU should be in the clear here and the NCAA's focus should be more on the programs that got muddied in all the discovery of this trial. Mainly, Kansas, LSU, and Arizona.

5 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Auburn held out Danjel and Austin for a full season and then the ncaa evaluated the situation and levied their own punishment on them as well. Would be really weird for the them to come back and repunish the program when no new damaging information towards AU has been revealed in the trial. I feel like AU should be in the clear here and the NCAA's focus should be more on the programs that got muddied in all the discovery of this trial. Mainly, Kansas, LSU, and Arizona.

I agree with you but the NCAA is so unpredictable you never know what they are thinking. 

WAR EAGLE!!!

On WJOX this morning they mentioned that the NOA's centered around eligibility issues.  Given the severe punishment that Wiley and Purifoy already served, I agree it sounds like AU is likely in the clear.  Hoping this is the case. I'm loving this basketball program.

12 hours ago, around4ever said:

We should be in the clear. However, there are numerous times in Auburn's past history that we should have been in the clear and ended up in the fire pit instead. Blame the REC, NCAA or the Forces of Evil in general, but for whatever reasons we don't get a fair shake in these matters. So I'm concerned about this and will be until it's all over. There are groups out there that will try to ruin our basketball situation. Lets hope they fail.

I think the worst case scenario for us is wins from the 16-17 season vacated. 

14 minutes ago, AUDub said:

I think the worst case scenario for us is wins from the 16-17 season vacated. 

This would make sense as that's when the dealings with Wiley and Purifoy were occurring.

It's also important to note that the NCAA handed down their punishment to the players after reviewing the situation, and no further implications have come to light since. That cannot be said for other programs.

It comes down to what the NCAA thinks is deserving. The players sat out for a season or longer...is that considered punishment for the program for the athletes? IMO, it's both, but maybe the NCAA thinks further punishment is needed for the program. However, I hope that's not the case.

The NCAA is basically irrelevant in today's society.  Just lawyer up, go to court and they'll either lose or back down.  They're only source of power is voluntary university complicity.

And if you are cooperative and transparent they will hammer you. Just look at Missouri

while i realize that it is the ncaa gestapo that we are talking about, i think we will be fine because our deal was something completely separate from the shoe company deal making investigation...i do hesitate to feel completely confident though, and if i were AG and prez coconuthead i would have the attorneys on standby to sue the hell out of them,especially if the updykes skate on this, if they bring down any charges against us ( i have a hunch that the updykes are actually one of the 6 but i wouldn't bet heavily on it)....i do suspect that our ordeal with the gestapo is over, but one can never really be sure or confident of it.....

For the record, the enforcement staff does not handle student athlete eligibility. It’s two different departments. Wiley and Purifoy were withheld by Auburn compliance. Then, they filed student athlete reinstatement applications. Those are not reviewed by enforcement. The eligibility group made the call on the length of suspension. If violations occurred (actions by the University, staff, or boosters), those could be the subject of an enforcement investigation and an eventual NOA.

I have no info on Auburn’s specific position, but no one from those trials is in the clear. The NCAA stayed all investigations pending the conclusion of FBI investigations and federal prosecutions. That’s where we are now. At the start of enforcement’s activity. Auburn’s actions regarding Wiley/Purifoy show a swift reaction and cooperation, but we could still see penalties for what Chuck did. So could Bruce. 

8 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

For the record, the enforcement staff does not handle student athlete eligibility. It’s two different departments. Wiley and Purifoy were withheld by Auburn compliance. Then, they filed student athlete reinstatement applications. Those are not reviewed by enforcement. The eligibility group made the call on the length of suspension. If violations occurred (actions by the University, staff, or boosters), those could be the subject of an enforcement investigation and an eventual NOA.

I have no info on Auburn’s specific position, but no one from those trials is in the clear. The NCAA stayed all investigations pending the conclusion of FBI investigations and federal prosecutions. That’s where we are now. At the start of enforcement’s activity. Auburn’s actions regarding Wiley/Purifoy show a swift reaction and cooperation, but we could still see penalties for what Chuck did. So could Bruce. 

Ugggghhhhhhhhhhhh

I am not getting the warm and fuzzies about this at all. Man I hope we are not one. Basketball has been fun for the first time in ages and Bruce has all the momentum in the world. 

6 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

NCAA lets programs who bring ratings walk..I feel like we do and could bring in ratings going forward if they walk down to someone else's office 

Hoping that AU 's actions will be deemed sufficient but I'm not gonna take the view that we didn't do anything.....but I hope the NCAA does come down hard wherever it hits and causes some of the usual scofflaws to pay big time.  Indications are that some major programs will be hit which is fine with me.   Hoping schools like Kansas, Louisville and Az in particular get hit just because of their arrogance in the matter and how they have responded in the past.

As for the NCAA.....several schools have tried to self-impose penalties in hopes of forestalling NCAA action.....sometimes it works and sometimes not.  

Archived