Luginbill- CGM’s 2019 Best Team at Auburn

toddc

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/13/2019 at 6:19 PM, McLoofus said:

Agreed. 

Although Cole Cubelic thinks, I just learned, that we might have the 4th best OL in the SEC. We could actually be okay with a fair to middlin' OL, but like you said, if a 1 goes down...

C is still a weak spot. This right here is enough for huge concern. A injury to a tackle? Man. The guards are real good. They have to be a lot more consistent. The C position will be the Achilles heel again this year I'm afraid. Just not a upper SEC guy on the team.  

I love Lugi. I’ve listened to him talk football for 19 years. He might be the best CFB analyst in the business. But he himself knows it usually takes a veteran QB to win the SEC. We were beyond fortunate to go against those odds and win it with Cam and Marshall. But we simply don’t have that type talent at QB this season. Plus no reliable RB. We are a 7-5 team at best this season. 

5 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

We are a 7-5 team at best this season. 

If so we will be breaking in a new coach next season. I have a lot of complaints about Gus, but i dont know who would be better under the circumstances... I hated the 2017 extension. But we had no choice. The coaching carousel had pretty much ran its course. All the top dogs were had already been hired somewhere else. If we would of let Gus walk we would of had an LSU situation on our hands and probably would of wound up with Steele...or Muschamp if we were lucky. So signing the extension was really our only choice...

But i just dont see Gus surviving with less than 9 maybe 8 wins if there were no purely boneheaded things happen. I dont think there is a chance in the world he survives a 7 win season...especially with how talented this team is...freshman QB or not...

6 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

I love Lugi. I’ve listened to him talk football for 19 years. He might be the best CFB analyst in the business. But he himself knows it usually takes a veteran QB to win the SEC. We were beyond fortunate to go against those odds and win it with Cam and Marshall. But we simply don’t have that type talent at QB this season. Plus no reliable RB. We are a 7-5 team at best this season. 

Ok. I agree with alot of what you say I just want to point out that I think we have as talented a QB room as we have had especially with Gus around. Experience is a different beast but the talent level is there. I think either guy has the skillset and mentality to handle the pressure if he is coached properly and the offense built to his strengths and not weaknesses. Look at some other teams that have had success with Freshmen QBs, Clemson 2018 NC, Bama 2017 NC , UGA 2017 Jake Fromm SEC Champ, 2013 FSU NC Jameis Winston. One would say that those are generational talents at QB...well I agree...and I also personally believe that we have that. Just hope the hand is played correctly

Yeah, veteran QBs aren't necessarily a thing of the past but they're hardly necessary anymore. Folks are playing the puppies younger and younger across all sports. You definitely need a veteran presence on the field but it doesn't have to be at QB.

And you can't say we don't have a reliable back. Depending on how folks view Boobee, it can be argued that we don't have a *proven* one- maybe that's what was meant- but it very much remains to be seen if we have a *reliable* one. Shivers, for instance, has given no indication that he can't be relied upon. (I think that dude has gamer written all over him.)

11 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Year: 7

Excuses accepted: 0

Fine. At what level are "excuses" no longer needed? 12 wins? 11? 8?

21 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Fine. At what level are "excuses" no longer needed? 12 wins? 11? 8?

When we go a full season without our game plan and performance being a complete embarrassment. 

An off day where we get a narrow win over a crap team, sure. Playing well and losing to a superior team, sure. 117 yards against Clemson? Losing to Tennessee? 9 points and 15 minutes of possession against MSU? 52 points surrendered to bama? 7 points scored against uga? There are no excuses for any of this.

On 6/13/2019 at 8:00 PM, bigbird said:

But that's where depth comes in. 😁

A hole in the bottom of a bucket doesn’t equate to depth.....it’s just another hole. Lol 

20 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

If so we will be breaking in a new coach next season. I have a lot of complaints about Gus, but i dont know who would be better under the circumstances... I hated the 2017 extension. But we had no choice. The coaching carousel had pretty much ran its course. All the top dogs were had already been hired somewhere else. If we would of let Gus walk we would of had an LSU situation on our hands and probably would of wound up with Steele...or Muschamp if we were lucky. So signing the extension was really our only choice...

But i just dont see Gus surviving with less than 9 maybe 8 wins if there were no purely boneheaded things happen. I dont think there is a chance in the world he survives a 7 win season...especially with how talented this team is...freshman QB or not...

I agree with everything you said here but I have one aside that I wonder about. I'm not calling you out because this isn't the first time I've seen it, but why does Will Muschamp's name get tossed around sometimes when it comes to a possible future coaching change? Does anyone actually think we would have better results with him than with Gus? He had one pretty good year at Florida when they won like 7 close games when the East was in shambles and he's been around .500 the rest of the time. 

15 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

I agree with everything you said here but I have one aside that I wonder about. I'm not calling you out because this isn't the first time I've seen it, but why does Will Muschamp's name get tossed around sometimes when it comes to a possible future coaching change? Does anyone actually think we would have better results with him than with Gus? He had one pretty good year at Florida when they won like 7 close games when the East was in shambles and he's been around .500 the rest of the time. 

Because that's a JABA move if I've ever seen one.

41 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

What @The Freak said. 

Hopefully those times have changed under ADAG. 

But yeah i could totally of seen us hire Muschamp if Gus had walked in 2017. He would of been about as good as we could get at the time in 2017. Like i said the coaching carousel had all but run its course. But thats just pure speculation. 

I didnt say he would be who i would want. But it wouldnt of surprised me in the least if Muschamp would of been brought back to lead us had we just let Gus walk in 2017. Either him or Steele. And as much as i like Steele as a DC he didnt do so well with his HC chance. 

On 6/18/2019 at 5:29 PM, Auburn2Eugene said:

I dont think there is a chance in the world he survives a 7 win season...especially with how talented this team is...freshman QB or not...

Outside the D-Line, I don’t see how “talented” this team is. We are seriously deficient in all other areas. 

On 6/18/2019 at 6:37 PM, Tigerpro2a said:

Ok. I agree with alot of what you say I just want to point out that I think we have as talented a QB room as we have had especially with Gus around. Experience is a different beast but the talent level is there. I think either guy has the skillset and mentality to handle the pressure if he is coached properly and the offense built to his strengths and not weaknesses. Look at some other teams that have had success with Freshmen QBs, Clemson 2018 NC, Bama 2017 NC , UGA 2017 Jake Fromm SEC Champ, 2013 FSU NC Jameis Winston. One would say that those are generational talents at QB...well I agree...and I also personally believe that we have that. Just hope the hand is played correctly

Disagreed. We do not have a QB to win the SEC. Not even close.

2 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Outside the D-Line, I don’t see how “talented” this team is. We are seriously deficient in all other areas. 

Personally i dont either.  But many are saying this is his most talented team... Hince the title of this thread...

On 6/18/2019 at 7:51 PM, McLoofus said:

And you can't say we don't have a reliable back. Depending on how folks view Boobee, it can be argued that we don't have a *proven* one- maybe that's what was meant

Boobee couldn’t go 3 consecutive games without getting injured. That’s a major issue with our RB corps. We don’t have a backup with similar size and speed. 

27 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Boobee couldn’t go 3 consecutive games without getting injured. That’s a major issue with our RB corps. We don’t have a backup with similar size and speed. 

DJ Williams? Not that size has anything to do with reliability.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

DJ Williams? Not that size has anything to do with reliability.

Of course I thought of Williams. Unproven however. I would be thrilled if Williams overtakes Boobee or at least becomes RB2.

24 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Of course I thought of Williams. Unproven however. I would be thrilled if Williams overtakes Boobee or at least becomes RB2.

So back to my comment, which was that you can say unproven but not unreliable.

1 hour ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

I’m saying Boobie is unreliable (thus far). 

Wasn’t he a redshirt freshman? Gotta give him a little slack here in my book. Not to mention he wasn’t a running back in hs.

On 6/19/2019 at 7:14 PM, Scotty2Hotty said:

Disagreed. We do not have a QB to win the SEC. Not even close.

Agree to disagree. I think both guys have potential to be great. We will see.

15 hours ago, toddc said:

Wasn’t he a redshirt freshman? Gotta give him a little slack here in my book. Not to mention he wasn’t a running back in hs.

It wasn’t an attack on his character. Facts are facts. He wasn’t healthy three consecutive games. Some RBs are much more injury-prone than others. Thus far, it’s an issue, esp in the SEC.

Archived