Luginbill- CGM’s 2019 Best Team at Auburn

toddc

17 hours ago, bigbird said:

Shivers is more than capable of being a #1. There are some on staff that think he should be #1 game 1. They said he has that South Florida attitude that they want to see from a #1 back. Also that RB, more than any other position, hasn't had that type of demonstrative personality in quite a while.

I also think that DJ might just be the kind of back that doesn't give the spot back after he gets his opportunity.

Again, will be thrilled to see Williams take the controls eventually. 

I do not see that whatsoever with Shivers unless we’re talking the O-Mac / Grant speed sweep where he’s best suited for. 

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

I  do not see that whatsoever with Shivers...

Well, some experienced professionals disagree

End of the day, we finally have good depth at RB. I'd say we did last season too, but almost all of it was unproven. Would love to see a resurgence of the dominant run game. 

Also, I don't think of Shivers as a "small back". I get it - he isn't tall, but he's thick, and very strong. O-Mac was a "small" back in my mind. 

16 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

We do have a Worm, a nice pair of Frosh, one of whom we have already gotten a glimpse of and he looks to be very promising in DJ Williams, and some other nice alternatives. I think we are ok. IMPO

Asa looked to be a promising Frosh too. 

13 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

DJ and MAR (if they chose to use him at that position) should have higher potential than either of those two (more DJ than MAR).  It's really if we just let that depth develop

Dyer (Freshman) and CAP (JUCO) were ranked #1 in their respective classes by at least one major recruiting service coming into their first seasons at AU. It doesn’t get higher in the potential and expectations than that. 

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

We, as fans, do not know what we have behind Boobee.  We see potential, but we really haven’t had much opportunity to see how they perform in game situations.

Since the 2014 season, Gus has ridden the hot hand even if that RB was a “little dinged up” to the detriment of other RB’s development. JMO.  This is one of the things I will be watching to see if Gus has learned how to manage his roster this season.  He has the personnel; but who does he trust and can he trust more than one RB?

Correct. Hence the immense importance of Boobee’s health, thus my chief concern for this season. 

14 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Well, some experienced professionals disagree

Which would rule you out. 

Did this same staff also believe Asa and Roc should have been #1 game 1? Or at least in the RB1/RB2 rotation? How did that work out?

3 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Correct. Hence the immense importance of Boobee’s health, thus my chief concern for this season. 

It's a valid concern. I agree that you are undervaluing Shivers, but if you take away the unknowns, Boobie's health is definitely very important from a depth standpoint.

14 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

End of the day, we finally have good depth at RB. I'd say we did last season too, but almost all of it was unproven. Would love to see a resurgence of the dominant run game. 

Also, I don't think of Shivers as a "small back". I get it - he isn't tall, but he's thick, and very strong. O-Mac was a "small" back in my mind. 

Chizik/Gus tried to use O-Mac as a between-the-tackles back the first few games of 09. IIRC, he got injured (sprained ankle?). 

They found where he belonged (speed sweep) the next season and he ended up shattering Bo Jackson’s YPC single season record. 

IMO, it’s where Shivers should thrive. 

7 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

So you feel as confident about Williams as you did Dyer in Summer 2010 and CAP in Summer 2013? I don’t. Not even close. 

I easily feel as confident in Williams as I did in CAP in 2013. You don't???

Dyer, well, no. He's not a 5* RB according to the recruiting rankings and that's all I've got to go on. But I think he can absolutely be in the same category even if not *quite* as good. 

Between Whitlow, Shivers, Williams, KMart, Joiner, MAR and Miller, I'm very optimistic than we can field a very complete RB rotation.

-*Whitlow can run the ball if he can stay healthy. It's not like he's got 3 years of being injured all the time. (Fun fact: Cadillac Williams only appeared in 16 total games his first two seasons.) 

-See Bird's scouting report on Shivers, who is everything OMac and Grant were plus, unlike them, he's actually a full-blown RB. 

-*Williams is a freshman so who knows but he's as much of a prototype RB1 as a freshman can be.

-Art Briles called KMart the best RB in the country, which obviously isn't going to be true as long as he's in our offense (for whatever reason) but we're already down to the 4th name on the list and KMart has shown flashes of brilliance with his rare opportunities.

-Since you brought up Fannin and seem preoccupied with size, I'll bring up *Joiner

-MAR was 6'1 195 out of high school and was the #4 ATH/APB in the country his recruiting cycle. Who knows what he really is but physically he's very similar to Kenny Irons and TJ Yeldon. 

-*Miller is the only RB on the roster who has more or less shown that he's not going to be that guy. It's a shame. 

I mean, I get why you might be concerned or skeptical, but it's weird that you keep insisting that we just don't have this or that at the RB position. You don't know and it's weird that you want to write all these guys off before the season even starts. Of course, you did that with the QBs, too, so I guess that's just a thing you do. 

Speaking of QBs, Joey should be able to take a lot of the load off these guys like Cam did for Dyer and Nick did for Tre and CAP. 

*I really don't understand why folks are so worried about size. We have 4 guys listed at 210 or heavier. Not sure we've had a group like this since Tre Smith and his backups were on the cover of SI.

Just now, Scotty2Hotty said:

Chizik/Gus tried to use O-Mac as a between-the-tackles back the first few games of 09. IIRC, he got injured (sprained ankle?). 

They found where he belonged (speed sweep) the next season and he ended up shattering Bo Jackson’s YPC single season record. 

I think Shivers and Omac are apples to oranges. Shivers is certainly capable on the outside given his speed, but I think he is equally as capable between the tackles. Schwartz is a much better comparison to Omac. 

All that said, Shivers very well may end up being given a more outside-run-heavy role, but if that happens I think it will be because our composition of talent makes him most useful in that role, but not because of a lack of ability between the tackles on his part. 

14 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

I will say I have no idea what you are saying, nor do I read it.  My eyes just go to your signature video and I become enamored with that shot and I forget what the subject of the thread was.  :laugh:  Man I loved our basketball run at the end.

38 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Dyer, well, no. He's not a 5* RB according to the recruiting rankings and that's all I've got to go on. But I think he can absolutely be in the same category even if not *quite* as good. 

Between Whitlow, Shivers, Williams, KMart, Joiner, MAR and Miller, I'm very optimistic than we can field a very complete RB rotation.

-*Whitlow can run the ball if he can stay healthy. It's not like he's got 3 years of being injured all the time. (Fun fact: Cadillac Williams only appeared in 16 total games his first two seasons.) 

-See Bird's scouting report on Shivers, who is everything OMac and Grant were plus, unlike them, he's actually a full-blown RB. 

-*Williams is a freshman so who knows but he's as much of a prototype RB1 as a freshman can be.

-Art Briles called KMart the best RB in the country, which obviously isn't going to be true as long as he's in our offense (for whatever reason) but we're already down to the 4th name on the list and KMart has shown flashes of brilliance with his rare opportunities.

-Since you brought up Fannin and seem preoccupied with size, I'll bring up *Joiner

-MAR was 6'1 195 out of high school and was the #4 ATH/APB in the country his recruiting cycle. Who knows what he really is but physically he's very similar to Kenny Irons and TJ Yeldon. 

-*Miller is the only RB on the roster who has more or less shown that he's not going to be that guy. It's a shame. 

I mean, I get why you might be concerned or skeptical, but it's weird that you keep insisting that we just don't have this or that at the RB position. You don't know and it's weird that you want to write all these guys off before the season even starts. Of course, you did that with the QBs, too, so I guess that's just a thing you do. 

Speaking of QBs, Joey should be able to take a lot of the load off these guys like Cam did for Dyer and Nick did for Tre and CAP. 

*I really don't understand why folks are so worried about size. We have 4 guys listed at 210 or heavier. Not sure we've had a group like this since Tre Smith and his backups were on the cover of SI.

Very good breakdown.

Shivers has the body type to take the pounding and it seems he has the toughness and mentality also.  My only questions about him being the man are:

1) Can he move the pile reliably on 3rd and 3 or less and 4th and 1?

2) Can he block those big LB'ers (remember the Kmart excuse vs Clemson), and will Gus trust him to pick up the blitz in passing situations.  I don't want to see him come out when we're going to throw and thus tip the other team about our plays.

I agree we have potential behind Whitlow, but none of it is proven in SEC game play over a season.

Judging by Gus' past you guys are gonna get annoyed with me during the fall with how much I will be saying GIVE SHIVERS MORE TOUCHES every week. I'm trying to get out ahead of this by asking for forgiveness now. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Judging by Gus' past you guys are gonna get annoyed with me during the fall with how much I will be saying GIVE SHIVERS MORE TOUCHES every week. I'm trying to get out ahead of this by asking for forgiveness now. Thanks.

Team Worm got you.

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Team Worm got you.

The Wolfpack will howl all season for him

6 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Dyer (Freshman) and CAP (JUCO) were ranked #1 in their respective classes by at least one major recruiting service coming into their first seasons at AU. It doesn’t get higher in the potential and expectations than that. 

Im not sure how far I trust JuCo rankings after seeing Stidham play out. Id still take DJ and MAR over CAP, once you factor in the extra 2 years to develop, their ceilings should be higher

13 hours ago, McLoofus said:

You think we'll have a 1,000 yard rusher in 2019 from that list?

“You think we'll have a 1,000 yard rusher in 2019 

Whitlow

Williams next year

4 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

You think we'll have a 1,000 yard rusher in 2019 from that list?

I think there are at least three guys capable of getting there. But I don't know what the offense is actually going to be or how we'll split carries.

Archived