Makayla Martin denied waiver (And Appeal: 6/25/19 update)

https://www.al.com/auburn/2019/06/auburn-ace-makayla-martins-5th-year-waiver-denied-by-ncaa.html

Geez. I guess she played too many games in the preseason. I don't know what the rule is for games played...

That will definitely hurt our pitching after losing Harris too. Dean has to bring in a transfer if we are going to compete at a high level.

• WarTiger changed the title to Makayla Martin denied waiver

Thank you Mackayla. You were Rock solid as a freshman pitching the biggest game in Auburn's history in the winner take all Championship game.  We knew we had a great chance to win with you in the circle. I hate it your career at Auburn ended too soon.  You were having a heck of a year. Good luck. 

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

https://www.al.com/auburn/2019/06/auburn-ace-makayla-martins-5th-year-waiver-denied-by-ncaa.html

Geez. I guess she played too many games in the preseason. I don't know what the rule is for games played...

That will definitely hurt our pitching after losing Harris too. Dean has to bring in a transfer if we are going to compete at a high level.

And who knows how Swindle is gonna be after that play.  Could be tough to recover from mentally.

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

The rules are stupid IMO. Only 1 postseason game counts (ya know, the ones that mean the most) when determining medical hardship eligibility & up to 3 preseason games count. Because of those 3 preseason games counting it's deemed by NCAA rules that she played over half the season.

1 hour ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Well I bet if she was a bammer she would have gotten it.

Nope!

Dean said in the al.com article that they’re going to bring in one freshman pitcher (he probably means KK) and one transfer pitcher.

I hope that he brings in insane FSU freshman transfer Makinzy Herzog

Does anybody know the reason the NCAA denied the waiver?  

It appears to me that she met all of the requirements for a Medical Redshirt.  

The requirements are:

1) the injury occurs in the first half of the season. Her injury occurred on day 38 of the 100 day season.

2) Participation in less than 30% of competition.  She participated in 25% of games played and 20% of innings played. 

3) Player must have incapacitating injury meaning she is done for the season.  This one could be sticky because it was never known she was done for the season until late in the season.  There was hope she could return for the SEC Tournament. 

Hopefully, our compliance department can put together a compelling appeal case and change the decision.  

Hope so, too, but I'm not optimistic.  Makayla wanted and deserved one season as the undisputed ace.  Too bad she'll probably never get that now.  Despite having pitched (successfully, in my view) in the biggest game in AU history, she subsequently labored in the shadow of Carlson.  I think CMD would have assumed the appeal would be denied and proceeded accordingly.  Hope he can bring in at least one formidable arm.

37 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Does anybody know the reason the NCAA denied the waiver?  

It appears to me that she met all of the requirements for a Medical Redshirt.  

The requirements are:

1) the injury occurs in the first half of the season. Her injury occurred on day 38 of the 100 day season.

2) Participation in less than 30% of competition.  She participated in 25% of games played and 20% of innings played. 

3) Player must have incapacitating injury meaning she is done for the season.  This one could be sticky because it was never known she was done for the season until late in the season.  There was hope she could return for the SEC Tournament. 

Hopefully, our compliance department can put together a compelling appeal case and change the decision.  

@around4ever  Pretty sure the NCAA made the decision based on  injury occurring in the first half of the season metric based on games played versus games on schedule. Because three practice games count by NCAA rules she was actually  credited for playing  in the 33rd of 58 games the NCAA counted to our schedule. As stated above the NCAA only count one game for postseason play and maybe one for conference tournament play  even if a team plays in multiple games in each. At most we get credit for 58 games. Also even using the daily metric as you just did the three preseason games were in the fall so that could change the number of days  to be over the halfway mark while you had it under the halfway mark.

like I said earlier, really stupid rules for determining medical hardship waivers.

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

@around4ever  Pretty sure the NCAA made the decision based on  injury occurring in the first half of the season metric based on games played versus games on schedule. Because three practice games count by NCAA rules she was actually  credited for playing  in the 33rd of 58 games the NCAA counted to our schedule. As stated above the NCAA only count one game for postseason play and maybe one for conference tournament play  even if a team plays in multiple games in each. At most we get credit for 58 games. Also even using the daily metric as you just did the three preseason games were in the fall so that could change the number of days  to be over the halfway mark while you had it under the halfway mark.

like I said earlier, really stupid rules for determining medical hardship waivers.

what would you propose?  

Gotta have some rule or every pulled muscle becomes a reason for another season.   Seems to me the rule is pretty generous considering how many games some players miss....especially in baseball where half our pitching staff....maybe more than half....have been on the DL a couple times....which is not too unusual I guess.

JMO but I thought the medical redshirt was a "reach"......would have been nice to have her back by tournament time but seems like that was never a real possibility unless she had been working out in secret. .

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

It's really strange that conference tournaments and NCAA tournaments only count as one game, no matter how many games you play, and each meaningless pre-season fall games count individually. 

But then again, we are talking about the NCAA. 

32 minutes ago, AU64 said:

what would you propose?  

Gotta have some rule or every pulled muscle becomes a reason for another season.   Seems to me the rule is pretty generous considering how many games some players miss....especially in baseball where half our pitching staff....maybe more than half....have been on the DL a couple times....which is not too unusual I guess.

JMO but I thought the medical redshirt was a "reach"......would have been nice to have her back by tournament time but seems like that was never a real possibility unless she had been working out in secret. .

@AU64 you and are talking about different aspects. You are talking about injury severity which I have not touched at all. I'm talking about what should & should not count as a game. I think it's crazy the NCAA counts up to 3 preseason scrimmages as countable games & only one each for conference & NCAA tournies no matter how many games a team plays in them. The NCAA is saying Mak played in the 33rd of 58 countable games because of the 3 preseason scrimmages & 1 each for postseason tournaments & meaning she played over the halfway mark & thus making her not eligible for a medical redshirt .I'm saying it should be the 30th of 60 games Wwhich is less than the halfway mark & make her eligible for a medical redshirt.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

@AU64 you and are talking about different aspects. You are talking about injury severity which I have not touched at all. I'm talking about what should & should not count as a game. I think it's crazy the NCAA counts up to 3 preseason scrimmages as countable games & only one each for conference & NCAA tournies no matter how many games a team plays in them.

OK...and counting for pitchers is really tricky.....since they don't start every game.   I don't have an explanation but I doubt the method is just something arbitrary....someone(s) had a reason for how they do it. …..just saying....

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

OK...and counting for pitchers is really tricky.....since they don't start every game.   I don't have an explanation but I doubt the method is just something arbitrary....someone(s) had a reason for how they do it. …..just saying....

Pitchers don't matter in this case. She meets the number of games played ratio or percentage ratio. It's the when she last played part that has her denied. Also go back & read my last post. I added more to it while you were replying.

44 minutes ago, around4ever said:

It's really strange that conference tournaments and NCAA tournaments only count as one game, no matter how many games you play, and each meaningless pre-season fall games count individually. 

But then again, we are talking about the NCAA. 

that is totally bizarre. As most noted on here that preseason games count more than Conference and tournament games. Ridiculous!

Also, I think there should be extenuating circumstances or exceptions IN ADDITION to the number games played rule.

For example, if a player basically loses their whole senior year should be taken into. It would not apply if they had other years to play, if they were a FR, SO, or even a JR. But to not get to play enough your final year of competition and playing ability is tough way to end it as Martin is dealing with. 

9 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

that is totally bizarre. As most noted on here that preseason games count more than Conference and tournament games. Ridiculous!

Also, I think there should be extenuating circumstances or exceptions IN ADDITION to the number games played rule.

For example, if a player basically loses their whole senior year should be taken into. It would not apply if they had other years to play, if they were a FR, SO, or even a JR. But to not get to play enough your final year of competition and playing ability is tough way to end it as Martin is dealing with. 

true.….but she pitched 80% as many innings as Harris and more than Handley......and did not lose her senior year.  SO....giving her another full season is a bit of a reach...much as it would have been good to have her back.   She did her pitching at the beginning of the season when the games were not as prominent ...on the road, etc..... but you can't ignore them....:dunno:   

I'm not sure what an equitable solution would be....half a season or something but she had 1/3rd of our wins this year and was a definite factor in the pre-season against some tough teams.... 

If we don't win the appeal, this will be a body blow to next year's team. Whatever is accomplished, it would have been more with Martin on the team.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

true.….but she pitched 80% as many innings as Harris and more than Handley......and did not lose her senior year.  SO....giving her another full season is a bit of a reach...much as it would have been good to have her back.   She did her pitching at the beginning of the season when the games were not as prominent ...on the road, etc..... but you can't ignore them....:dunno:   

I'm not sure what an equitable solution would be....half a season or something but she had 1/3rd of our wins this year and was a definite factor in the pre-season against some tough teams.... 

I agree that's a stretch, but when a player is closing out their collegiate career, it's just doesn't seem right that the most important games played(Conference and tournament games) count less that preseason games, that basically get you ready for the grind of conference play.

Conference games carry so much more weight but it doesn't in determining eligibility.

I think that I can tackle the Conference Championship and playoff answer easily.  By allotting 1 game each they are giving an equal opportunity on number of games played and not helping more successful programs.  All teams get an equal amount of preseason opportunities.

8 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I think that I can tackle the Conference Championship and playoff answer easily.  By allotting 1 game each they are giving an equal opportunity on number of games played and not helping more successful programs.  All teams get an equal amount of preseason opportunities.

That makes sense. What doesn't make sense is counting exhibition games from the previous fall.

Archived