Makayla Martin denied waiver (And Appeal: 6/25/19 update)

Perhaps the (admittedly small)  bright side is that, if CMD can entice a stud pitcher to transfer, she will know from Day One that she's the #1 pitcher here.  That counts for a lot for a girl languishing on the bench somewhere else.    Let's make the transfer portal (I can't type that without thinking about the show Stargate) work for us this time.

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

I agree that's a stretch, but when a player is closing out their collegiate career, it's just doesn't seem right that the most important games played(Conference and tournament games) count less that preseason games, that basically get you ready for the grind of conference play.

Conference games carry so much more weight but it doesn't in determining eligibility.

Those aren't the games that make the clause ridiculous.  Those are regular season non-conference games.   The preseason games discussed are FALL scrimmages against JC, D2  and D3 teams. 

1 hour ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Are we counting the games in which she may have been the DP or PH?  I recall she had a triple in an early game.

Yes. Any regular season game played counts.

31 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Those aren't the games that make the clause ridiculous.  Those are regular season non-conference games.   The preseason games discussed are FALL scrimmages against JC, D2  and D3 teams. 

Bingo!

Thank you, MaKayla, for your ability, perseverance, and contribution to Auburn softball. Hopefully the appeal will be granted. If not, thanks for the memories and know that you have a bright future ahead,

Latest word I've seen on this is (updated a few hours ago) that Auburn has in fact appealed and its apparenlty going to a committe to decide.   Auburn is cautiously optimistic.   Take it for what its worth.

49 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

Latest word I've seen on this is (updated a few hours ago) that Auburn has in fact appealed and its apparenlty going to a committe to decide.   Auburn is cautiously optimistic.   Take it for what its worth.

what percentage  of these appeals work?  I'm guessing really low.

14 minutes ago, lutzcammed said:

would be nice to get the equivalent of a "full year" of play....so maybe do like basketball does with suspensions....allow her a certain number of games....:-\

• 2 weeks later...

The NCAA is as close to being irrelevant as ever. The more they do this the more I believe it's time for the Power Five to cut bait and create...

The Power 5 ;)

I guess they are much more rigid on these types of request. Seems crazy to not let senior players play a full year when they have an injury like this...

It seems they are much more lax when it comes to players transferring...which is worse to me.

• ellitor changed the title to Makayla Martin denied waiver (And Appeal: 6/25/19 update)
On 6/16/2019 at 2:17 PM, lutzcammed said:

Percentage just went lower 😥

Hate it for Makayla, though it's not a big surprise.  At least she can say she pitched the biggest game in Auburn history.  Slightly surprised that a California girl wants to remain in Auburn, but glad to have her.  The biggest surprise to me is that Dean is a motorcycle guy.  Hadn't figured him for that.

13 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Hate it for Makayla, though it's not a big surprise.  At least she can say she pitched the biggest game in Auburn history.  Slightly surprised that a California girl wants to remain in Auburn, but glad to have her.  The biggest surprise to me is that Dean is a motorcycle guy.  Hadn't figured him for that.

An article I read said he received a custom made Harley in place of a financial bonus after winning a championship with the Chicago Bandits.  Apparently he had a prior history with motor cycles and felt it was a good deal.  That was in 2008.  If he is scouting or recruiting maybe he can write off his annual trips on his tax return.  

Archived