College World Series

Arky and Texas Tech  (both #1 seeds) went down on the first set of games today....arky shut out by FSU.....kinda hated for that to happen.....Coach Martin is the sentimental favorite for the CWS so this game will put them even more in the public eye.

I take it that Jack O will pitch our first game ….unless there is some reason to start someone else....:dunno:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was an old fashioned pitchers duel between Arky and FSU.  

I'm not a fan of FSU but Martin does deserve a title for all of his years and keeping FSU in the hunt every season.  

14 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Arky and Texas Tech  (both #1 seeds) went down on the first set of games today....arky shut out by FSU.....kinda hated for that to happen.....Coach Martin is the sentimental favorite for the CWS so this game will put them even more in the public eye.

I take it that Jack O will pitch our first game ….unless there is some reason to start someone else....:dunno:

Owen was listed as the starter on the graphic during the Arky game tonight. Small is a tough customer for State. We need our A+ game. 

Owen didn't pitch against State if I recall, and we won the game against Small earlier in the year if that gives anyone hope lol. 

8 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Owen didn't pitch against State if I recall, and we won the game against Small earlier in the year if that gives anyone hope lol. 

Forgot that we won that one. 

Between wanting Martin to win at least one game at his last CWS and not liking Arky at all, I'm happy with that game. There was some good ball played today, in both games. To be expected I guess, shoddy teams don't end up in Omaha.

I guess it is time for the Doc to predict the outcome of our game tomorrow with MSU..........Auburn 8 MSU 5

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Between wanting Martin to win at least one game at his last CWS and not liking Arky at all, I'm happy with that game. There was some good ball played today, in both games. To be expected I guess, shoddy teams don't end up in Omaha.

Baseball is baseball and someone will probably score in double digits in a game or two...but you are right....the CWS does bring out the best in most of the players and teams....it's high quality baseball ...especially since it is being played by many kids still in their teens. 

Isn't it funny how well instant-replay works in college baseball now (the Arky-FSU game had at least 5 reviews) but Div I softball keeps refusing to use it, because its "unworkable" 🙄

18 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Gotta think it's coming, if softball wants to be taken seriously.  It was used at the SEC tournament,wasn't it?

It was used and worked although the very limited format for review was ridiculous.  Just copy the baseball format and institute it next spring. 

I watched both CWS games yesterday. I have to say.....that FSU starting pitcher was phenomenal. Arky is a very good offensive team but they could not get much from that FSU guy. He was amazing to watch. Campbell did a great job for Arky also. I remembered him from Auburn's series with Arky and I was interested in seeing him pitch again. But that FSU kid was unhittable yesterday.

14 hours ago, AUBwins said:

But note, in that game Small only gave up 3 hits, and 2 of them were in his last inning he worked, the 6th I believe. 

They were ahead, and after Small left, is when we won the game.  He will be tougher even now. Just need some timely hitting to have a chance.

So....Michigan and Vandy won their opening games in Omaha.

espn has almost ignored Auburn and has had few good things to say but they have really spotlighted Mississippi State. This is very familiar territory for Auburn.

Just now, Tigerbelle said:

So....Michigan and Vandy won their opening games in Omaha.

espn has almost ignored Auburn and has had few good things to say but they have really spotlighted Mississippi State. This is very familiar territory for Auburn.

Anyone who knows the makeup of the ESPN power structure shouldn’t be shocked by that. Crimson led. 

4 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Anyone who knows the makeup of the ESPN power structure shouldn’t be shocked by that. Crimson led. 

That's why I said it's familiar territory. Not shocked at all. espn, at times, goes out of it's way to disrespect Auburn.....

Hope the media disdain has inspired the Tigers today.

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/owen-why-not-us-?fbclid=IwAR0U-4J5ugM5CPJk_Yb5CHtAAyXr_quhgoqKh1-lWYYklkCyc4hJr9ea0YE

JMO but AU has gotten pretty good coverage as one of the surprise teams in the CWS....on the other hand Louisville and Michigan were mostly ignored leading up to their games.   Lots of discussion about AU overcoming all the pitching injuries to get to where they are....

I thought they were extremely complementary to our team and coaching staff last night.

Also, State is getting coverage because they and Vandy are unquestionably the favorites to win the title. Winner of that game is going to have a huge advantage, and winner of our bracket is the hands down favorite in the championship series.

On 6/16/2019 at 10:18 AM, OlderWhiskey said:

Gotta think it's coming, if softball wants to be taken seriously.  It was used at the SEC tournament,wasn't it?

Yes, although to call the results 'mixed' is being charitable.   One would hope they would/will do a better job once it becomes the standard in the future (making a biiiiiiig assumption here 😄)

1 hour ago, mcgufcm said:

I thought they were extremely complementary to our team and coaching staff last night.

Also, State is getting coverage because they and Vandy are unquestionably the favorites to win the title. Winner of that game is going to have a huge advantage, and winner of our bracket is the hands down favorite in the championship series.

I watched BOTH games on SATURDAY.... PRIOR to our game last night. That's what I was discussing and made my post BEFORE we played. They showed State fans, the team, the tailgating State fans.....and did not show anything about Auburn. Barely even mentioned Auburn's team all day. It was a State love fest. THAT is what I was referring to.

3 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

I watched BOTH games on SATURDAY.... PRIOR to our game last night. That's what I was discussing and made my post BEFORE we played. They showed State fans, the team, the tailgating State fans.....and did not show anything about Auburn. Barely even mentioned Auburn's team all day. It was a State love fest. THAT is what I was referring to.

Have you ever thought it is because they have been there 38 times? Or they have a huge following in baseball at MSU...and we are newbies this year. MSU has been at the top of the polls and we checked in as a Cinderella team.

All teams are showcased, but the ones with a legacy and a following and are the favorites are going to get more pub...that's the media...but I feel Auburn got good media coverage...

Losing like we did in game 1 really hurts. This isn't North Carolina we're playing where we lost game 1, then came back and kicked their butts in game 2 and 3.

Anybody remember one of our recent close games? The opposing catcher dropped the 3rd strike, our guy made it to first but was called out because his foot touched the chalk on the outside of the white line. Today, the Texas Tech catcher dropped a 3rd strike, the Arky batter ran the entire distance with both feet stepping solidly in the middle of the white line, and he was called safe. So much for the "you can't touch the white line" argument. I said at the time, and apparently the CWS umps agree with me, that as long as the runner doesn't go inside the line, he's ok.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Anybody remember one of our recent close games? The opposing catcher dropped the 3rd strike, our guy made it to first but was called out because his foot touched the chalk on the outside of the white line. Today, the Texas Tech catcher dropped a 3rd strike, the Arky batter ran the entire distance with both feet stepping solidly in the middle of the white line, and he was called safe. So much for the "you can't touch the white line" argument. I said at the time, and apparently the CWS umps agree with me, that as long as the runner doesn't go inside the line, he's ok.

Touching the line is considered in the lane and is legal. The batter runner is not automatically out if he is out of the running lane.  He must, in the umpire's judgement, have interfered with or impeded the 1st Baseman from catching the ball. 

Well, the SEC is down to three teams left.  Arkansas was sent home today in a 5-4 loss to Texas Tech.  I didn't see any of the game but it sounds like it was a good one.  

Archived