Dean Discusses Current Transfer Protocol & How It Affects Softball

Mickey Dean has strong feelings on NCAA transfer portal

Auburn softball coach Mickey Dean has stated that he believes changes are needed to how the NCAA's transfer portal works. (Julie Bennett)

Auburn softball coach Mickey Dean has stated that he believes changes are needed to how the NCAA's transfer portal works. (Julie Bennett)

Auburn softball coach Mickey Dean has seen five of his players enter the NCAA transfer portal since the end of January. Two of his most important pieces in starting shortstop Taylon Snow and starting pitcher Chardonnay Harris were the most recent to leave.

Dean spoke with AL.com on Saturday about the transfers, and the transfer portal as a whole, and expressed his sincere frustration with how the system is currently set up.

The portal is a system by the NCAA in its first full year. It allows athletes complete autonomy to decide to transfer, and to whichever institution they want. In the past, coaches would have to release players from scholarship, and had certain abilities to block where players could transfer to.

Below is a Q&A with AL.com and Dean.

AL.com: What’s your reaction to what you’re seeing with your team?

Dean: "I think it’s a new trend. If you take a look around the country, you have teams that went to the World Series, that have three or four kids transferring out, you know. I just think it’s a trend. And it’s something that eventually, the NCAA is gonna have have to get ahold of.

"When you look at the transfer portal, I mean, gosh, I can’t tell you over all the sports how many kids, but I think there’s close to 700 just in softball. So it’s just a, it’s thing where we opened a can of worms, and I don’t think anyone has a good grasp on it.

“You know, because some kids have legitimate reasons. I mean, you know, they’re legitimate. But then some, you know, they just, it’s easier to transfer I guess.”

AL.com When you say the NCAA needs to get ahold of it, what do you mean?

Dean: "I’m not against the portal completely. That’s not where I’m going. But there needs to be some stipulations. And I know they’re currently working on some solutions to it. But right now, it’s just like the Wild Wild West.

"And I’ll go back and I’ll say it again. Some kids have some very good reasons. Family problems. Family issues. Health reasons, that’s understanding. And the hard part is, is that we’re not at liberty to discuss those things with the media — when things are legit and when things aren’t legit. So that’s the tough part.

"Because then, then you just take a look, well, unless it’s this certain date and there’s a problem — there’s usually not a problem. I don’t think every athletic program across the country has a problem. Because if you look at the portal, that would be your assumption. You’ve got, like I said, you’ve got kids who just pitched in the College World Series, and are leaving their programs.

“So it’s a difficult one to get a grasp on. I think it’s hard, sometimes when people jump to conclusions and make assumptions. And you can’t really do that. But also, we as a program and we as a coach, we have to understand that those assumptions and presumptions are going to be made. It is what it is at this point.”

AL.com: You mentioned that some players have a good reason for going, others don’t. Without going into the reasons why Auburn players left (since you can’t) — were you accepting with the reasons those players gave for leaving?

Dean: "The most recent one, yes — the most recent ones, yes. And I am not at liberty to talk about that. You know that. But they had good reasons when it was family, or injury, or whatever.

“And you know, my job, besides winning ballgames and teaching the game of softball, my job is to help people become adults. And when they handle those situations well, then I need to appreciate that. Does that make sense? Because now I’ve done my job. They’re not just doing things on a whim. They’re actually thinking things through, having the discussions, and making a decision. I will never have a problem with that, never.”

AL.com: What is the protocol when someone puts their name in the portal, is there —

Dean: “Well there used to be a protocol. There is no protocol at this point with the NCAA.”

AL.com: What’s the protocol, though, with scholarships when entering the portal. Do you cut them off immediately, or allow time for someone to change their mind and return?

Dean: “No, I think that’s on an individual basis. I think that goes on the way that it’s handled by the player themselves. If it’s handled appropriately and in good fashion, then I think you have the protocol that you go through. If it’s not handled well, then the best thing to do is probably to just sever ties.”

AL.com: You coached at Radford. You came from James Madison to Auburn fairly late in the offseason — how do you reconcile the difference of you making a career change, and a player making a personal choice to enter the portal?

Dean: "Um, here’s what the difference was for me. The difference for me, and I can only speak for me personally. The difference for me was it changed everything that I would be able to provide to my family. So it wasn’t that I would rather coach Auburn softball players than JMU softball players. It changed a lot of things. For the things that I was able to provide for my family. Does that makes sense?

“The difference that I see in the two is that one is life-changing for a family. The other one is, if you have a scholarship at one place, and a scholarship at another place, and the scholarships are equal, how do you come about making that decision? Does that make sense?”

Dean called the reporter back later that afternoon to add on to this answer.

Dean: "The competition level comes into play as well. Like for an instance, if you’re leaving a mid-major program to go to join a program that is competing for the College World Series, you know, sometimes you’ve got to take a look at that. Just like when I left JMU to come to Auburn, it’s coaching in the SEC, you have an opportunity to go to World Series every single year. Does that make sense.

“I wanted to make sure that was clear, because that was one of the big reasons I came to Auburn, was to be able to compete year-in an year-out with the opportunity to win an SEC championship and go win the College World Series.”

Dean also spoke about players who are allowed to transfer mid-season, and become immediately eligible wherever they go.

Dean: "Like I said, I’m not opposed — I am not completely opposed to the transfer portal. But I do think there needs to be some adjustments made to it, especially for spring sports.

“Kids shouldn’t be able to — or players, they’re not kids anymore once they get to us. Players shouldn’t be able to transfer in mid-year and be immediately eligible at the institution they’re going to. Because I think that really can hurt some programs. As it did Oregon this past year. And at no fault to the new coach.”

Since Dean gave this interview it adds to what I had heard. Neither Chardonnay nor Taylon had issues with Dean or the AU program. They are transferring for other reasons.

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Dean: "Um, here’s what the difference was for me. The difference for me, and I can only speak for me personally. The difference for me was it changed everything that I would be able to provide to my family. So it wasn’t that I would rather coach Auburn softball players than JMU softball players. It changed a lot of things. For the things that I was able to provide for my family. Does that makes sense?

While I am sure it is true, this was a really dumb thing to say to a reporter, especially after whining about the transfer portal. If the coach is not committed to the school, how can he expect players to be committed to the school ?

When it comes to softball and other sports where the scholarships are only partial I m gonna side with the athlete.  If I am paying for part of my education it is my decision only where I wanna be.

I also think it is not smart to complain publicly about kids transferring from World Series teams for many reasons.

21 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

When it comes to softball and other sports where the scholarships are only partial I m gonna side with the athlete.  If I am paying for part of my education it is my decision only where I wanna be.

I also think it is not smart to complain publicly about kids transferring from World Series teams for many reasons.

I didn't see that even remotely close to him complaining about transfering from a world series team.  In fact, I dodn't see any of this as complaining about anything.  He was simply stating a fact with the volume of transfers across the country and pointing out that its not limited to players at mid major programs leaving for better teams.   I'm also not understanding why you make that distinction (concerning world series teams).   He voiced his opinion on how the rule is written and as a head coach in a power program, he's entitled to voice that opinion and hopefully facilitate a change in how the rule is written if he's not happy how it is currently.    

1 hour ago, WarTiger said:

I didn't see that even remotely close to him complaining about transfering from a world series team.  In fact, I dodn't see any of this as complaining about anything.  He was simply stating a fact with the volume of transfers across the country and pointing out that its not limited to players at mid major programs leaving for better teams.   I'm also not understanding why you make that distinction (concerning world series teams).   He voiced his opinion on how the rule is written and as a head coach in a power program, he's entitled to voice that opinion and hopefully facilitate a change in how the rule is written if he's not happy how it is currently.    

The reasoning is his exact quote said “kids who just pitched in the College World Series...”.  I personally don’t like that detail and u are not gonna change my mind.  The point he was making was kids/adults he kept intermixing them, transfer for many reasons not just because there are program issues.  Also that they transfer for legit or not legit reasons in his mind.  Personally how is there not a legit reason that a person who is paying half or more of their way to go wherever they want.  I would like to know what he thinks is a non-legit reason to transfer.   You can say you don’t like the rule and there needs to be some changes to eligibility with transfers like he points out but to question the legitimacy of a persons want/need to transfer is out of bounds.  In all honesty the coach is not even owed an explanation.

Just catching up on this ... 5 seems like a lot ... glad to hear it's not a mass exodus/Dean issue ... I think?

19 hours ago, auburnphan said:

The reasoning is his exact quote said “kids who just pitched in the College World Series...”.  I personally don’t like that detail and u are not gonna change my mind.  The point he was making was kids/adults he kept intermixing them, transfer for many reasons not just because there are program issues.  Also that they transfer for legit or not legit reasons in his mind.  Personally how is there not a legit reason that a person who is paying half or more of their way to go wherever they want.  I would like to know what he thinks is a non-legit reason to transfer.   You can say you don’t like the rule and there needs to be some changes to eligibility with transfers like he points out but to question the legitimacy of a persons want/need to transfer is out of bounds.  In all honesty the coach is not even owed an explanation.

I understand your angle, but I don' t really agree with it either. WarTiger in his comments never says he trying to change your mind. He is simply not agreeing with it, as I don't. It's ok to have that opinion.

For example, I think there ARE reasons that are not good ones for a player to leave so easily bc of something they don't like. I remember Bo talking about when he got to Auburn and he didn't like something (practices I think), he was ready to leave and go home. If he had the portal he might have had an easy out. But he was simply not mature at that young age..and he stayed, because he had no easy way out..and he said later, he was glad he didn't leave. So what I'm saying there can be reasons a player may use to leave...that are not in their best interest, as Dean is saying.

I am agreeing with you that it is the right of the player to have these opportunities to leave, and not make it so hard for them to play somewhere else. Sick for home,  not liking the way the coach interacts..so  many reasons that are legit for a player to want a change of scenery. And he was not using the team that lost World Series players to transfers as the wrong reason. He was referring to that team because it's not JUSt b/c you don''t like at a struggling team..but it can happen on a team that is great..and winning..

One funny thought I got from Dean's interview....was why did he say "Does that make sense?" so many times..lol. It's like he didn't think the interviewer was understanding his comments, or he was not sure he was making sense. ...

I guess the only bright side, if there is one, is that all the coaches are in the same position (in theory).   Unless you are Patty Gasso, then everything is fine  😀

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I understand your angle, but I don' t really agree with it either. WarTiger in his comments never says he trying to change your mind. He is simply not agreeing with it, as I don't. It's ok to have that opinion.

For example, I think there ARE reasons that are not good ones for a player to leave so easily bc of something they don't like. I remember Bo talking about when he got to Auburn and he didn't like something (practices I think), he was ready to leave and go home. If he had the portal he might have had an easy out. But he was simply not mature at that young age..and he stayed, because he had no easy way out..and he said later, he was glad he didn't leave. So what I'm saying there can be reasons a player may use to leave...that are not in their best interest, as Dean is saying.

I am agreeing with you that it is the right of the player to have these opportunities to leave, and not make it so hard for them to play somewhere else. Sick for home,  not liking the way the coach interacts..so  many reasons that are legit for a player to want a change of scenery. And he was not using the team that lost World Series players to transfers as the wrong reason. He was referring to that team because it's not JUSt b/c you don''t like at a struggling team..but it can happen on a team that is great..and winning..

One funny thought I got from Dean's interview....was why did he say "Does that make sense?" so many times..lol. It's like he didn't think the interviewer was understanding his comments, or he was not sure he was making sense. ...

My problem is that he singled out a player by saying pitched in the World Series.  That is not cool.  It was not needed to make his point.

the Bo example does not work for me, he is a full scholarship athlete, different circumstances.  When you are paying for your education the game changes.  If you don’t like how they practice and you are paying half your way it is not worth being unhappy.

yeah, I don’t think he had thought out his words before hand.  That is why he had to call back the interviewer.

my assumption about the world series comment ... he is trying to point out that even successful kids at successful programs are transfering.  I think he has gotten some heat for the transfers and is using this interview, partially, to deflect some of that criticism.  I dont think he was trying to point out the fsu pitcher.  I think it is just showing the broad range of reasons kids are transferring.

i didnt love this interview.  the way it comes across in written form feels a little unsure of what he wants to say exactly.  I think that is part of the reason he says "does that make sense" so much.  almost like he is thinking through the issue on the fly a little bit.

Take it with a grain of salt for heaven's sake - it's on AL.com and you have no way to know if the quotes are legit or have been paraphrased to make Coach Dean look bad.  There are good things and bad things about the portal that the NCAA needs to clean up.  Remember, just because a student athlete enters the portal it doesn't mean that they will get an offer to transfer to another school...if they don't do we want at Auburn?  The flip side is - Coach gets to look for good players who have made a life changing decision and who may fill a need for Auburn.

Archived