Baseball vs. Mississippi State - CWS

Coached our way outta this one. Barely escaped outta the 5th with Owen and shouldn't have put him in the 6th. But then put Greenhill in to possibly pitch 4? Get gun-shy after giving up a double IIRC. And then should've left Burns in the bullpen but again, Butch gets shaken after giving up a run...

For all the 9th inning discombobulation, I think we could've avoided much of our woes with coaching. And to think Gabe wanted Holland to stay at 3B despite being halfway to Home, if not for the error he might've been stranded on base had he stayed.

I'm just ill

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yes but going after the kid who made the most glaring mistake by those who have gone after him is unacceptable, pathetic, & completely tasteless. Those who have done that deserve a time out from being able to post on the site for a while IMO. No matter how angry, upset, or frustrated any of us are, it altogether combined doesn't come near the depth of what Julian is feeling right now. Auburn is a family. Julian is rightfully feeling down now. As a family we need to be lifting him up.

Couldn’t agree more about the going after EJ.  I was moreso determining from the context of the post PoD was referring to bailing on the team. If he’s talking about personal attacks on an Auburn athlete, then of course he’s 100 % correct 

4 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

I'm out.  Done and won't be back.  

Thanks for your valuable input and great baseball perspective over the years. I know you’re more excited than most of us to watch this program rise from the ashes these past few years. War Damn. 

We had an awful lot of good breaks during that game. At one stretch MSU had left 8 runners on base in only three innings. In five of seven innings they left a man on third. We had some bad breaks at the end, but both things are baseball. Love it or hate it, it's baseball. If I were to gripe about something, I'd have left Fitts in, but I'm not at practice or in the dugout so I don't know the players up front and personal.

Auburn at the end of big games.......... 

we.gif

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Auburn at the end of big games.......... 

we.gif

I see some flair and style in his fall though. Ours is like an awkward train wreck.

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We had an awful lot of good breaks during that game. At one stretch MSU had left 8 runners on base in only three innings. In five of seven innings they left a man on third. We had some bad breaks at the end, but both things are baseball. Love it or hate it, it's baseball. If I were to gripe about something, I'd have left Fitts in, but I'm not at practice or in the dugout so I don't know the players up front and personal.

I think if it ends in a walk off grand slam it’s a little easier to process but I agree with you for the most part. Nothing that happened was an original thing to happen to a team on a baseball field tonight, even in a high stress situation like CWS. Unfortunately Auburn was the bug and not the windshield this go around. 

I was calling for Burns in the 9th and even though it wasn’t his best stuff, I think he pitched it well enough to get a win, but like you, I defer to the staff’s knowledge. Weird to say, but I want more losses in Omaha the next decade or so (but yes, a helluva lot more wins)

Hurts to be so close, but got to forget about it before Tuesday. Hopefully we get some bats going. Seems like when we get so close , we are worn out from getting there that we can't play our best. Here's to beating Louisville.

That was a tough one in the gut. Rise up and get after them on Tuesday. House money. 

Tough loss, but hopefully we got that out of the way.  Just remember if we didn’t have EJ to start the game it would have played out differently.  Just remember there are only 8 college baseball teams still playing.  3 weeks ago none of us thought it would be us.   Enjoy the moment folks!

7 hours ago, jared52 said:

Hero to zero for Edouard. 

I hate it for him. Was going to be the hero of the game and ended it as the goat.

So I was trying really hard to stay awake to watch the whole game and I made it to the bottom of the 9th before the first pitch.  Briefly woke up an hour later to turn off the tv assuming we won.  Woke up this morning in a chipper mood and opened Facebook...

giphy.gif

I bet we lost because I fell asleep.  :no:

8 hours ago, jw 4 au said:

Embarrassing. Total mental meltdown by EJ!  Then the baseball gods f’ed us again. Worse the the HR off SW last season!!!

Hope we find someone who can play 3rd by next season....been a liability all year..

..and it is well known that in baseball the ball will find your weakest defensive p!ayers in the most crucial moments which was proved again last night....

9 hours ago, around4ever said:

Yeah EJ screwed up but I'm placing blame on coaches for pitching decisions and the rest of the guys for poor ABs all night.  Offensively, EJ had us in position to win it, but he was about all we had offensively.  

9 hours ago, Tigerfinz said:

I didnt quite understand making the switch to Burns even after that double...I thought Butch should have stayed with the freshman...he was in pretty good command of his pitches.  I think we outcoached ourselves as well as goofy times errors...

I know I'll get some people who dislike what I'm about to say but I don't blame Julien for this loss at all. Without him we wouldn't even have the lead in the first place he had 3 of our 4 RBIs. This loss, IMO, is squarely on Thomspon/Smith. They made some REALLY weird decisions concerning the pitching in this game and I still don't get them. Jack Owen struggled for the 4th and 5th inning and barely made it out without giving up the lead and should not have came back in for the 6th the way he was laboring in the 5th. Then he gives up a lead off walk and you still don't take him out. Then after the single, you bring in Anderson to pitch to TWO guys and then yank him for Greenhill in in the SIXTH inning! 

Why not let Anderson pitch longer? Why bring in Greenhill to pitch to three batters in the sixth inning? And then Fitts who had pitched great so far gives a lead off double and you yank him like he had been getting rocked all over the field to bring in Burns who has never pitched in relief in his college career and we all know has had a sore shoulder to try and get the meat of their line-up out? Julien made an error but Burns was getting hit harder than Fitts was and I don't think should have been making his first relief appearance against some of the best hitters in the NCAA. 

If you hadn't burnt Greenhill in the 6th inning he could have came in as your CLOSER and tried to close out the game if Fitts had given up another hit or a walk or something in the ninth. Just bad management of the pitching from our coaches. 

Big Canada has made some good plays at 3B during the course of the season too. It's not like he's been terrible there. Now, the throw was what it was because the baserunner was involved in the process. Hindsight being 20-20, he should have tagged the runner but that's water under the bridge now.

3 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Last night hurt. Bottom of the 9th like watching the last two minutes of "wrong way Bo".

Sad but true!

25 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Big Canada has made some good plays at 3B during the course of the season too. It's not like he's been terrible there. Now, the throw was what it was because the baserunner was involved in the process. Hindsight being 20-20, he should have tagged the runner but that's water under the bridge now.

True but Woley has bailed him out all year on bad throws.....and folks already have forgotten the previous play when he had a standard DP and instead threw it over the head of Bliss.....JMO but that's what brought on the last play....trying to be "sure" of a good throw and took two or three steps toward first and fired it like was still back on 3rd.  

And as for the pitching decisions last night...pretty much what we have had off and on all season....some mysterious changes though maybe someone has a chart saying that's the thing to do...but IMO, JO was in too long, EA came out too soon and CG has not been the same in recent weeks.  TB did the job I think.....strike zone shrunk on him but he induced the contact that should have ended the inning twice. 

In many of our wins this year we can look back and see one or more outstanding defensive plays that saved the game.  JMO but to some extent the defense is the reason we are in Omaha.....but can't recall a real defensive gem last night that made a difference in the game for us and in the end, defensive lapses got us.

Nice not to play to day....give team and coaches a day to get over that heartbreaker and take on Louisville....

Well it just sucks but that's the baseball gods. Had some of my favorite moments and some of my worst watching baseball. Can just rip your heart out but we have another day. Hopefully we can use this to learn from but I think Auburn baseball will also be back to Omaha in future years no matter what happens with Lville. Just my two cents

17 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Well it just sucks but that's the baseball gods. Had some of my favorite moments and some of my worst watching baseball. Can just rip your heart out but we have another day. Hopefully we can use this to learn from but I think Auburn baseball will also be back to Omaha in future years no matter what happens with Lville. Just my two cents

I hope so. Only two seniors on this team and neither are big contributors. With some added pitching, we should be in good shape next year.

3 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

I hope so. Only two seniors on this team and neither are big contributors. With some added pitching, we should be in good shape next year.

Agree but I'm also thinking long term as in the next 15 years cause I think we're in good hand with Butch and our our current AD

9 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Agree but I'm also thinking long term as in the next 15 years cause I think we're in good hand with Butch and our our current AD

Also, as Butch mentioned the program is “ahead of schedule”, there’s plenty of other steps this program can take to lay an even stronger foundation. For instance, leaving the .500 conference record behind and seriously making runs at conference championships, hosting regionals, becoming national seeds...this year has been one where the heights of the success have kinda outperformed the underlying current strength of the program. Years like these will further strengthen it and set the program on the way to consistently performing at a great to elite level. Butch has taken the overall program from stuck in the mud to very good in a short time. It very well could become great over the next few years and even elite over the next decade. 

Archived