Baseball vs. Mississippi State - CWS

2 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Also, as Butch mentioned the program is “ahead of schedule”, there’s plenty of other steps this program can take to lay an even stronger foundation. For instance, leaving the .500 conference record behind and seriously making runs at conference championships, hosting regionals, becoming national seeds...this year has been one where the heights of the success have kinda outperformed the underlying current strength of the program. Years like these will further strengthen it and set the program on the way to consistently performing at a great to elite level. Butch has taken the overall program from stuck in the mud to very good in a short time. It very well could become great over the next few years and even elite over the next decade. 

You said it much better then me and totally agree

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if I'm in the minority, but I didn't hate the way Butch handled his pitchers last night. Maybe pull Owen after 5, but he was keeping the ball down. If he comes back and gets a few quick grounders, it's a great move. He pitched well enough to start the sixth even if I would've done it differently. 

Anderson made the pitches to get out of the sixth. If Julien makes a normal read and takes the double play, Bliss isn't holding the runner at second. That grounder ends the inning instead of scoring one. Still, once that ball leaked through, you had to bring your best guy into the highest leverage spot. "Saving" Greenhill for the possibility of a save is just dumb. He's our best, high leverage pitcher. Throw him when you need him, not in an arbitrary role.

In the seventh, there was no way to predict Cody would lose the strike zone, but you had to get him out when you did. Certainly, we were hoping he would give us more than two outs, but that didn't happen. Fitts came in and did the job.

I thought the hook with Fitts was a little quick, but I would've gone to Burns too. He's a strike out pitcher with the stuff the face the heart of their order. And, again, he made the pitches to win the game. A normal throw to first ends it. A quicker exchange on the chopper pushes the game to extras. Those both should've been inning ending outs. 

Julien gave us three runs and gave them three runs. Brutal loss. Our guys will bounce back and fight, but realistically, we needed to stay in the winners side of our bracket to have a shot. That loss was a death blow for trying to win a title (which was a longshot anyway with Vandy and State in our bracket). I'd love to see us win one game. That would be a big moment for these guys and the program. I have absolutely no fear that we'll stop fighting, and that's a great thing. This is a tough group with good coaching. They've been a blast to watch, even if last night was excruciating.

I’m far from bailing. My “hero to zero” comment was just how sports go. I’ll take EJ all day. It was a mistake. They happen. Others made them too. This team has no quit, so I expect a fight tomorrow. 

29 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

I don't know if I'm in the minority, but I didn't hate the way Butch handled his pitchers last night. Maybe pull Owen after 5, but he was keeping the ball down. If he comes back and gets a few quick grounders, it's a great move. He pitched well enough to start the sixth even if I would've done it differently. 

Anderson made the pitches to get out of the sixth. If Julien makes a normal read and takes the double play, Bliss isn't holding the runner at second. That grounder ends the inning instead of scoring one. Still, once that ball leaked through, you had to bring your best guy into the highest leverage spot. "Saving" Greenhill for the possibility of a save is just dumb. He's our best, high leverage pitcher. Throw him when you need him, not in an arbitrary role.

In the seventh, there was no way to predict Cody would lose the strike zone, but you had to get him out when you did. Certainly, we were hoping he would give us more than two outs, but that didn't happen. Fitts came in and did the job.

I thought the hook with Fitts was a little quick, but I would've gone to Burns too. He's a strike out pitcher with the stuff the face the heart of their order. And, again, he made the pitches to win the game. A normal throw to first ends it. A quicker exchange on the chopper pushes the game to extras. Those both should've been inning ending outs. 

Julien gave us three runs and gave them three runs. Brutal loss. Our guys will bounce back and fight, but realistically, we needed to stay in the winners side of our bracket to have a shot. That loss was a death blow for trying to win a title (which was a longshot anyway with Vandy and State in our bracket). I'd love to see us win one game. That would be a big moment for these guys and the program. I have absolutely no fear that we'll stop fighting, and that's a great thing. This is a tough group with good coaching. They've been a blast to watch, even if last night was excruciating.

Good post overall, but you beat Louisville, you will likely get a rematch with Miss State, and we've proved we're just as good as them. Likely would have been playing in that game anyways. Let's re-focus and win a few! And if not, we're here. That's what matters. We're playing at this point in this season. This is just so cool.

13 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Yeah, he's not a third baseman.  Bliss isn't a second baseman, Woley's not a first baseman, Williams isn't an outfiielder and Sheffler as soft as it gets behind the plate.  And Butch has this team in Omaha.

EJ started learning the 3rd base position this past summer. He doesn't have years of experience there and it's just my opinion he's not a natural fit for 3rd.I say that because EJ never looks comfortable at 3rd.  He's still gaining experience in that position. That was IN DEFENSE of EJ and was NOT a knock against him. I'm a big fan of  EJ. No need for the snark. 

13 hours ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

Is third just not his best position or something? I hope he does some film study or something to know better how to handle tough positions.

He just started playing 3rd this season. He was 2nd base last season. 

49 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Good post overall, but you beat Louisville, you will likely get a rematch with Miss State, and we've proved we're just as good as them. Likely would have been playing in that game anyways. Let's re-focus and win a few! And if not, we're here. That's what matters. We're playing at this point in this season. This is just so cool.

I know this is not in reference to the point you are making, but I think the brackets mix up a bit after 2nd round.  After beating Louisville, I think we would get loser of Mich vs FSU. The losers of 1-0 game switch brackets. 

2 hours ago, PUB78 said:

I hope so. Only two seniors on this team and neither are big contributors. With some added pitching, we should be in good shape next year.

Are you factoring in the underclassmen that were drafted? The Seniors may be non-factors but to think we aren’t losing some big time talent isn’t quite correct. 

15 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Are you factoring in the underclassmen that were drafted? The Seniors may be non-factors but to think we aren’t losing some big time talent isn’t quite correct. 

No, didn't factor that in, but not sure we will lose many if any. What is your take on the draftees?

as an aside ... for Louisville, we should have our entire pitching staff available in some capacity except Burns, due to limited pitch count, and JO due to number of pitches.  Should we beat Louisville, I'd start Burns and go Johnny all-staff.  I think with the way this thing is spread out, we will have a chance against all of these teams.  Vandy is the only team that really "scares" me regarding our chances to win.  We have a punchers chance against everyone else.

I mean, MSU kinda scares me. They've taken three of four from us while scoring 45 runs in the four games. Granted, Vandy swept four from us while scoring 37 runs in four games, but I'd say both of those teams should put a little fear in us.

Still, you're right. Focus on Louisville. Piece together the pitching after we survive this one.

1 hour ago, PUB78 said:

No, didn't factor that in, but not sure we will lose many if any. What is your take on the draftees?

Will Holland and Davis Daniel will leave for sure. 

3 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

I mean, MSU kinda scares me. They've taken three of four from us while scoring 45 runs in the four games. Granted, Vandy swept four from us while scoring 37 runs in four games, but I'd say both of those teams should put a little fear in us.

Still, you're right. Focus on Louisville. Piece together the pitching after we survive this one.

I was worried about MSU from the beginning. Their offense is overwhelming at times and they don't waste opportunities when they get them. 

The Vandy boys are overwhelming both offensively and with their pitching. IMHO they will probably win it all. 

22 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

as an aside ... for Louisville, we should have our entire pitching staff available in some capacity except Burns, due to limited pitch count, and JO due to number of pitches.  Should we beat Louisville, I'd start Burns and go Johnny all-staff.  I think with the way this thing is spread out, we will have a chance against all of these teams.  Vandy is the only team that really "scares" me regarding our chances to win.  We have a punchers chance against everyone else.

I agree. We can play with State beat them. We showed that. A routine throw beats 'em. I've got a feeling we will continue to beat up on the ACC tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, PUB78 said:

Likely will lose Holland and Daniel to the draft. We lose Anderson out out of the pen as well as Schilleci, but I don't think anyone else. Maybe someone else will go that we don't expect, but honestly, I don't see us losing much. 

As I see it, we'll return these starters (main players):

C- Scheffler

1B - Woley

2B - Bliss

SS- 

3B - Julien

RF- Williams

CF- Howell

LF - Ward

DH - Davis

Subs: Lau, Moore, Hall, Eaton, Henderson, Warner

SPs:  Burns, Owen, Fitts, Horn

Pen: Fuller, Skipper, Wade, Morrison, Watson, Gray, Greenhill

I would expect Bliss to hop over to short for next season, and maybe someone like Everett Lau to take over at second base. Either that, or you move Julien back to 2B, and see if Brody Moore is ready to go at 3B. This is not even considering the addition of this new recruiting class with guys like LaRue (who is a catcher/power pitcher), Hayden Mullins, Travis Odom, Mason Greer, and more... It's also still technically possible Gunnar Henderson comes to school (although I wouldn't hold my breath). 

This team was set up for 2020, but happened to get hot this season and are finding ways to win ball games. I'm expecting really great things from next year's club as well.... but we ain't done with 2019 yet!! Let's get hot and go on a run!!

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

True but Woley has bailed him out all year on bad throws.....and folks already have forgotten the previous play when he had a standard DP and instead threw it over the head of Bliss.....JMO but that's what brought on the last play....trying to be "sure" of a good throw and took two or three steps toward first and fired it like was still back on 3rd.  

And as for the pitching decisions last night...pretty much what we have had off and on all season....some mysterious changes though maybe someone has a chart saying that's the thing to do...but IMO, JO was in too long, EA came out too soon and CG has not been the same in recent weeks.  TB did the job I think.....strike zone shrunk on him but he induced the contact that should have ended the inning twice. 

In many of our wins this year we can look back and see one or more outstanding defensive plays that saved the game.  JMO but to some extent the defense is the reason we are in Omaha.....but can't recall a real defensive gem last night that made a difference in the game for us and in the end, defensive lapses got us.

Nice not to play to day....give team and coaches a day to get over that heartbreaker and take on Louisville....

That is what a good first baseman is suppose to do..which is bail out the other guys. Remember that short hop catch he made on the second out from Holland. If he doesn't get that we are even in a bigger mess w/ only 1 out.

Julian, while I will never blame a player for trying...he is our weakest infielder w a .900 percentage which is not good for a 3rd baseman. But again...he is only played it this year, and when the pressure is on...and making that 3rd out was...you could tell he thought about it way too much w/ his shuffling of his feet so much before letting it go.

And I have NO problems w BT and his pitching changes decisions. That is his forte w over 20 years of experience..and it worked great for 8 2/3 innings and giving them only 1 run (and that one was an error too)...

I don' t think hindsight helps when we are talking about this coach...

Texas Tech has hit 3 home runs in the last 3 innings to take a 4-3 lead over Arkansas after the Hogs went up 3-0. We're not the only team that gives up leads at this tournament. These are all great baseball teams. Just gotta bring the fight tomorrow and keep playing baseball...

2 hours ago, PUB78 said:

I hope so. I think Davis Daniel is gone and won’t be surprised to see Holland and Julien gone. Pretty clear Gunnar Henderson won’t ever be an AU Tiger. 

I understand if Greenhill is trying to be another Jonathan Papelbon and only throw fastballs. But why is Tanner Burns only throwing fastballs last night?

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I don' t think hindsight helps when we are talking about this coach...

I agree...hate second guessing a coach ….but last night at least I was on the record about all those decision and even got a post from POD nominating me for pitching coach. ….which I took as a joke :) since he was not snarky about it.... 

But of course we second guess coaches all the time and that seems to be a specialty of most posters.....but I still thought then and think now, that Butch or Smith have made a number of bad pitching decisions throughout the season that resulted in some losses....JMO......

4 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

I understand if Greenhill is trying to be another Jonathan Papelbon and only throw fastballs. But why is Tanner Burns only throwing fastballs last night?

I’m sure Smith was calling them, but flat fastballs are just what MSU likes. Greenhill needs to develop some other pitches as well. His velocity increased since last season, and it looks like he is getting less rotation and tail. Last year, he got a lot of high pop ups. This year he’s getting squared up more. 

I think Burns' pitch selection had something to do with his command. He went to breaking stuff after getting the strikeout and couldn't find the plate. He wasn't exclusively fastball, but it was fastball heavy. 

Archived