Baseball vs. Mississippi State - CWS

Anyone here who thinks we’re being poorly coached??? I sure as hell don’t! I’ve seen and heard damn near enough the last 24hrs. People around Auburn are starting to act more and more like gumps and it’s pretty sickening. Rant over.

Not too long ago we were last in the SEC. 

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, autigeremt said:

Anyone here who thinks we’re being poorly coached??? I sure as hell don’t! I’ve seen and heard damn near enough the last 24hrs. People around Auburn are starting to act more and more like gumps and it’s pretty sickening. Rant over.

I haven't seen anybody say we're being poorly coached. I have seen people say they would have managed the pitchers differently. Stuff like that is what fans do. Unless you are part of the team you can't know what changes were good or bad decisions and we are not part of the team.

Coaching from my recliner, I'd have left Anderson in longer and let Fitts finish the game unless he ran into more trouble. I think I also made it clear that we fans cannot know the players and their abilities like the coaches do.

I wanted AU to hire Butch when we screwed up and hired Pawloski all those years ago. He's my man and he's dong a great job. But without knowing more about the players than I do at this moment, I'd have done the pitchers as above.

8 hours ago, autigeremt said:

Well said.   Trust me I am not an “aw shucks we tried” kind of guy.  Losing sticks. It hurts worse at times than winning feels good.  But It has become sickening watching every player and coach get bashed every time something goes wrong by the gump mentality.   Our guys played our guts out but lost a close ball game against a much better team on an error by the same player that almost singlehandedly accounted for all of our runs.  Does anything thing it hurts them more than the players? Yet  some here cannot believe they “wasted 4 hours” watching the game.  In 56 years I have never considered it a “waste of my time” to watch our teams play or students represent Auburn University. That’s just not what Auburn people do.  

Coaching had a win in place. Pitching and hitting was adequate. Defense didn’t get it done. That’s baseball. If I blame the coaching, it’s not going to a defensive substitution in bottom of ninth. 

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

I haven't seen anybody say we're being poorly coached. I have seen people say they would have managed the pitchers differently. Stuff like that is what fans do. Unless you are part of the team you can't know what changes were good or bad decisions and we are not part of the team.

Coaching from my recliner, I'd have left Anderson in longer and let Fitts finish the game unless he ran into more trouble. I think I also made it clear that we fans cannot know the players and their abilities like the coaches do.

I wanted AU to hire Butch when we screwed up and hired Pawloski all those years ago. He's my man and he's dong a great job. But without knowing more about the players than I do at this moment, I'd have done the pitchers as above.

Radio was going nuts here in Auburn yesterday. Nuts. 

8 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Most people do not understand the game of baseball anyway. And most people have never played baseball in the SEC or played in the CWS. They have no idea what it takes to win at those levels. Most of our team is under 21 years old, and the pressure is intense. 

People seem to have no idea how far Auburn baseball has come in 4 years under CBT.   It's a shame that fans can't be supportive in situations like this one. 

45 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

I heard it too. My response would've been that Burns made the necessary pitches to win the game. We just got unfortunate. 

45 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

That's very sad then. I wasn't one of those calling in on the radio.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

I've seen it on the boards too. Especially RIGHT after the game.

Those are hind site fans who are just reacting to a loss. And  they would act that way in any sport without really knowing the x's and o's that go into these decisions that our coaches make.

Sure, some decisions are simply the coach'es instinct or gut feeling, and that always doesn't work. But I trust most of these coaches based on their history on in-game decision making. 

Butch did nothing wrong with his substitutions at pitching. It was execution in the field that lost this game, Nothing more...

Archived